Photo

Bill Boddy auction 22 June, 2013

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:57

I did do a search but couldn't find any specific details of one of the great treasure troves of all time.
Can anyone provide details on some of the important lots.
I am interested in one of the lots if anyone can advise where it finished up I would love to know the details of the SS cars reffered to as being listed in it.
On this subject it appears a similiar book exists for cars sold prewar by Bugatti man J. Lemon Burton. I would be keen to hear from anyone who may know the location of this ledger or ledgers
terry
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
470 J. H. Bartlett of Notting Hill Gate. The stock and sales book for this well-known and interesting motor-car trader, who offered and sold some very interesting vehicles. The book dates from July 1931 and ends in May 1934 and is carefully annotated with double line spacing. Each car is listed has the date purchased, year of car, car registration, model, chassis number, engine number, asking price, date sold, purchaser, invoice number, price customer paid, etcetera. The cars include various exotic models, such as Bugatti, Lagonda, Bentley, Mercedes-Benz, Alvis, Riley, Frazer-Nash, Alfa Romeo, Arab, SS, Invicta, Aston Martin, Singer, and many more. The half-leather binding is now showing its age, but the pages and manuscript are easily read and very clear. A unique document, containing excellent research detail and data. This book was given to 'WB' by J. Bartlett when he had retired to Monaco.
Estimate: £300 - 600
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.catalogue...13-06-22/page_1
Saturday, 22 June, 2013
The Bill Boddy Collection, to be sold at Reading Auction Market, Great Knollys Street, Reading

Advertisement

#2 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:25

surely someone on this list went to the auction?

#3 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:25

#4 Supersox

Supersox

• 105 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 13:15

Ted Walker did

#5 nicanary

nicanary

• 691 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 13:38

Ted Walker did

He went for a good "ferret"....

#6 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 23:42

somebody must be able to add some details, prices etc etc

#7 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:28

I went and was and bought a couple of lots,one being his "Paper archive" lots of letters etc including his notebooks. It was very well attended and prices were high. The photo lots were not well sorted. There was vitually no material from the 50s onward. Rumour had it that it was badly stored and was damp and as a result was thrown away prior to the auction. I got several "Jenks Letters" including a good one on the Mille Miglia when the pedal fell off. The main reason for buying the lot was in the bootom of the box in a film box containg 16 rolls of negs covering Irish racing from the 30s Cork GP,Pheonix Pk ,Ulster TT etc. VERY GOOD

#8 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:10

thanks ted for the update and hopefully one we will see the Irish racing pics. We have a type 57 Bugatti here in Western Australia that raced in the Ulster TT with lord Howe driving.
I would love to here from others who went
terry

#9 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 00:20

we have established Ted was at the auction and it was well attended but who else was there and where did the stuff go?
terry

#10 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:26

Although I do know where a lot of it went I dont think i should publish the names . I will say that most of the brooklands records went back home !!. Most of the brochures were split between 2 well known dealers,the same with the photographs(they will re apear in auction or E bay) Same with the books,most going to a Wiltshire based dealer.

#11 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 21:54

Not germain to this post exactly but it was the "Tea & Crumpet Club" lunch in Vancouver today and Merv Theriault (sp?) had an album of photos from Brooklands and elsewhere-both cars and planes-that he had bought from Ted Walker recently--Lovely stuff!

#12 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:40

Davuid, Yes that was my other purchase. Superb album. No mention of the car content in the auction catalogue.

#13 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:42

Very interesting chap. Ex Team Lotus

#14 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:33

I happen to know the chap who bought the "four-seat" Morgan, but obviously I'm not going to hand out his details.

#15 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 22:38

here is one person on EBAY who brought some stuff from the boddy collection

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item5af2e9d206
"Bill Boddy's Pewter Tankard, Lea Francis Owners Club. 1987. Brooklands"

#16 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:29

here is one person on EBAY who brought some stuff from the boddy collection

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item5af2e9d206
"Bill Boddy's Pewter Tankard, Lea Francis Owners Club. 1987. Brooklands"

Doesn't seem to have understood what he could read in the engraving!
"It was presented to him by the Guild of Motoring Writers in 2002" forsooth!

ETA He's deleted that bit after I told him!

Edited by Allan Lupton, 10 July 2013 - 13:38.