• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#1 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 17:55

Jon Noble ‏@NobleF1 1m
Formula 1 drivers say they will boycott the German Grand Prix if there are any tyre problems over the weekend. Full story soon
6:53 PM - 4 Jul 13

When was the last time there was a drivers boycott - if ever?

Advertisement

#2 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 17:57

Good on them.

#3 ApexMouse

ApexMouse

• 909 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 18:00

Posted Image

#4 AvranaKern

AvranaKern

• 6,409 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 18:01

1969 Belgium GP, Spa-Francorchamps
1981 Belgium GP, Zolder
1982 South African GP

Drivers also threatened to boycott 2008 British GP over increased superlicense fees.

#5 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 18:02

There was a minor boycott at the 1975 Spanish GP to do with the state of the armco barriers.

#6 goingthedistance

goingthedistance
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,471 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 18:02

There won't be problem, unless the asymmetry creates new ones. The tyres will not be under the same load here.

#7 pRy

pRy

• 26,311 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 18:04

Did the drivers make any threats at Indy 05?

#8 Collombin

Collombin

• 8,644 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 18:07

They did in 1933 and 1947 - not the most recent examples perhaps!

#9 Rob G

Rob G

• 11,615 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 18:07

Jon Noble ‏@NobleF1 1m
Formula 1 drivers say they will boycott the German Grand Prix if there are any tyre problems over the weekend. Full story soon
6:53 PM - 4 Jul 13

There were some politically-based boycotts in the early '80s by drivers as well as by teams. For instance, the 1982 season kicked off with a drivers' boycott due to a dispute about Superlicenses. The last drivers' boycott that I can think of based on safety was the 1975 Spanish Grand Prix at Montjuich. This was because of shoddy workmanship on the guardrails lining the circuit.

#10 AvranaKern

AvranaKern

• 6,409 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 18:09

After the event, yes. David Coulthard led the way. It was not just due to tyre failures, but towards some security solutions like having the exact same security levels and staff during in-season tests as in normal race weekends but it wouldn't realize.

#11 alframsey

alframsey

• 5,037 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 18:10

They can make this out to be a big story all they want, truth is there will be no boycott if only because the tyres won't be a issue this weekend. Stop peddling throw away remarks as real stories I say to the media!

#12 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,551 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 18:11

Well it's understandable some of them will be thinking of a boycott, they are the ones who have to go out and drive on potentially dangerous tyres. I imagine it will be okay this weekend however.

#13 goingthedistance

goingthedistance
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,471 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 18:12

It's quite a strong statement, actually. Good on them. I really don't think there are going to be any issues though.

#14 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,643 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 18:16

There were some politically-based boycotts in the early '80s by drivers as well as by teams. For instance, the 1982 season kicked off with a drivers' boycott due to a dispute about Superlicenses. The last drivers' boycott that I can think of based on safety was the 1975 Spanish Grand Prix at Montjuich. This was because of shoddy workmanship on the guardrails lining the circuit.

The 1989 Australian GP came close when Alain Prost and, to a lesser extent, Gerhard Berger tried to get the race called off on race day due to bad weather. More drivers protested during the period when the race was red-flagged due to an accident but it ultimately went ahead. Bernie intervened, I think.

#15 Rob G

Rob G

• 11,615 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 18:21

The 1989 Australian GP came close when Alain Prost and, to a lesser extent, Gerhard Berger tried to get the race called off on race day due to bad weather. More drivers protested during the period when the race was red-flagged due to an accident but it ultimately went ahead. Bernie intervened, I think.

Yeah, and a similar situation occurred in the rain at Fuji in 1976. Some drivers protested, and while all the drivers started, Lauda and a few others decided not to continue in the race because it was so bad.

#16 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 11,162 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 18:22

Good thing drivers are now putting their foot down.
They had written a letter to the authorities before this mess but they weren't listened to.
Even though the tyres will likely be fine this weekend, it's a strong signal in the direction of the FIA, Pirelli, FOM and the teams.

#17 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 18:24

Pulling out before is one thing, but during the race? I'll believe it when I see it.

#18 redreni

redreni

• 4,709 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 18:32

1969 Belgium GP, Spa-Francorchamps
1981 Belgium GP, Zolder
1982 South African GP

Drivers also threatened to boycott 2008 British GP over increased superlicense fees.

The 1982 South African GP was a threatened boycott, not a boycott. The 1981 Belgian Grand Prix wasn't even a threatened driver boycott. There hasn't been a successful driver boycott since 1969. That was after there had been a serious accident at Spa involving Jackie Stewart where he was left trapped in his car covered in fuel and no marshalls, medics or other official help was on hand to rescue him. If the fuel had ignited Stewart would have burned to death - there wasn't a fire tender in sight. The level of danger the drivers might potentially face on Sunday pales into insignificance by comparison.

#19 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,201 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 18:35

Pulling out before is one thing, but during the race? I'll believe it when I see it.

Pit Wall: Driver x please come in and retire
Driver x : I'll be right in...NOT
Jp

Advertisement

#20 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 5,726 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 18:35

Can just John Booth's pre-race briefing to Chilton and Bianchi.

OK lads here's the plan - smack all the kerbs as hard as you can till one of you gets a puncture, then carry on until the tyre delaminates. Try and make it back to the pits. When all the other drivers retire to boycott the race, the other one of you cruises to a win. We will try and rebuild the other car and get you out to come 2nd. Split prize money 50-50.

#21 SamH123

SamH123

• 2,963 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 18:40

This seems like a 'you can't fire me I quit' thing

If there's a repeat of Silverstone the race will be red flagged anyway so I don't get the significance of this . It's even the main story on BBC sport currently

#22 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,551 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 18:41

OK lads here's the plan - smack all the kerbs as hard as you can till one of you gets a puncture, then carry on until the tyre delaminates. Try and make it back to the pits. When all the other drivers retire to boycott the race, the other one of you cruises to a win. We will try and rebuild the other car and get you out to come 2nd. Split prize money 50-50.

That's probably what would happen, the backmarkers will be looking at the points they could pick up a la Minardi at Indy. Still, as long as the top drivers stick together and pull out the effect will be the same. All hypothetical of course.

#23 Darrenj

Darrenj

• 1,663 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 18:48

I'll be without live F1 access for the coming weekend so a good time for a strike..

Good on em I mean! :drunk:

#24 redreni

redreni

• 4,709 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 18:54

There was a partial boycott in 1975 but not many drivers actually supported it. They did manage to get some bolts tightened on the guardrails. But ultimately the track was still a death trap and the race still went ahead. Rolf Stommeln went over a barrier and four people were killed. I wouldn't call that a successful boycott.

#25 redreni

redreni

• 4,709 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 18:59

That was a one man boycott by a driver who had already won the title and who's team had already won the constructors'. He simply had no need to take a risk that day. If the title had been at stake he'd have raced.

#26 dau

dau

• 5,373 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 19:01

Yea, not going to happen.

#27 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 19:06

Non issue. The media is just hyping something that won't happen. Drivers would boycott any race that potentially wasn't going to be safe, it's only that they are being asked safety questions this week that it's even on the radar.

It's making headlines though so Bernie's happy.

#28 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 19:14

Won't happen.
I don't see Vettel boycotting his home GP. And if the championship-leader is going to race, everyone is going to race.
If those in the hunt do decide to boycott, we may as well give the kid the WDC trophy at FP1.

#29 kpastri

kpastri

• 90 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 19:15

Does anyone know who of the current drivers are NOT members of GPDA?

#30 redreni

redreni

• 4,709 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 19:22

That's probably what would happen, the backmarkers will be looking at the points they could pick up a la Minardi at Indy. Still, as long as the top drivers stick together and pull out the effect will be the same. All hypothetical of course.

That's a bit hard on Minardi - they were on Bridgestones, so like all other Bridgestone runners they took the start as normal. Why wouldn't they have raced?

At Indy the Michelin teams couldn't run because the tyre manufacturer had (sensibly) put it in writing that the available tyres were unsafe at that track, so they'd have not only been liable for any accident but also possibly liable to prosecution under the criminal law of Indianna for knowing endangerment of persons. The Bridgestone teams, on the other hand, couldn't not run because there were no safety issues for them, and there are fines and sporting penalties for wrongful failure to participate in championship events. So there was no element of choice or teams being lured by the temptation of getting an easy result they couldn't normally get.

If there's a proposed boycott, on the other hand, teams and drivers will have a choice and they will all choose to participate. Even Massa.

#31 Lotusseven

Lotusseven

• 2,196 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 19:22

As far as I've understood it everybody will pack up and go home if a tyre explode during the 3 practice sessions, qualifying or the race. That´s a lot of tires.
Well, safety comes first !
www.f1fanatic.co.uk

#32 wrighty

wrighty

• 3,794 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 19:24

'not gonna happen' doesn't really help the drivers. As mentioned during the race and afterwards when drivers are catching large chunks of tyre in the kisser we're already in big trouble, but for me the fact that the tyres are being made asymmetric and the teams are turning em round and then there's ridiculous statements like 'stay away from that kerb' shows we're a long way past where we should be anyway.
I support the drivers, they're innocent parties in a complete fustercluck of a situation between the governing body and their appointed supplier and their desire to 'make it more exciting'......yeah that went well didnt it.

It's just a sport and it's already dangerous enough without drivers being sent out on untested 'it should be ok' solutions.

#33 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,677 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 19:32

Let's see, Räikkönen wasn't, at least, at the end of his previous F1 stint. If he decided to join the association when he re-joined last year... I don't have a clue, but why would it be different now? But then, it's Kimi and we know he enjoys changing his mind.

Hamilton also wasn't, but I remember some news about him joining some time ago. If he went away again... no clue.

I know, I know, I'm not big help, but the wording of the GPDA statement makes me think there is, at least, on driver who isn't a member of GPDA

Edited by artista, 04 July 2013 - 19:32.

#34 EthanM

EthanM

• 4,819 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 19:39

The GPDA is chaired by Pedro de la Rosa, with Sebastian Vettel and Jenson Button as directors, but Hamilton and Lotus driver Kimi Raikkonen are not members.
http://www.bbc.co.uk...rmula1/23190671

#35 stanga

stanga

• 1,124 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 19:40

Let's see, Räikkönen wasn't, at least, at the end of his previous F1 stint. If he decided to join the association when he re-joined last year... I don't have a clue, but why would it be different now? But then, it's Kimi and we know he enjoys changing his mind.

Hamilton also wasn't, but I remember some news about him joining some time ago. If he went away again... no clue.

I know, I know, I'm not big help, but the wording of the GPDA statement makes me think there is, at least, on driver who isn't a member of GPDA

Hamilton and Kimi aren't members.

#36 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 19:42

That's an unfair judgement on Minardi and other back marker teams.

Minardi, Jordan and Ferrari didn't defy any kind of boycott because they had a chance to get points, it was a just another race weekend for them, it wasn't up to them to follow all the Michelin teams just because Michelin's design error was going to make it a bad show for the fans.

I'm sure the every driver would boycott the race or pull into the pits and retire if similar tyre problems happen again.

But in any event Charlie Whiting would hopefully red flag a dangerous race well before anything like that would have to happen.

#37 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 2,726 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 20:06

I doubt they will, but......it's not impossible for the same thing to happen at Spa for example (ok, different tyres, etc), and what then? Boycott that race instead? But yeah, if 1 tyre goes during the race then..........I can see it being red flagged and everyone going home, as I guess Whiting, after Silverstone, will just think "it's happened again, I'm not going to wait and see if another 2 or 3 tyres go later in the race and risk someone being injured/killed by debris/massive crash due to a tyre failing, I'm red flagging the race now, and announcing straight away that it won't be restarted"

#38 pRy

pRy

• 26,311 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 20:06

Usually Bernie sorts out this sort of thing but will he be at the circuit this weekend?

#39 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,551 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 20:08

That's a bit hard on Minardi - they were on Bridgestones, so like all other Bridgestone runners they took the start as normal. Why wouldn't they have raced?

At Indy the Michelin teams couldn't run because the tyre manufacturer had (sensibly) put it in writing that the available tyres were unsafe at that track, so they'd have not only been liable for any accident but also possibly liable to prosecution under the criminal law of Indianna for knowing endangerment of persons. The Bridgestone teams, on the other hand, couldn't not run because there were no safety issues for them, and there are fines and sporting penalties for wrongful failure to participate in championship events. So there was no element of choice or teams being lured by the temptation of getting an easy result they couldn't normally get.

If there's a proposed boycott, on the other hand, teams and drivers will have a choice and they will all choose to participate. Even Massa.

I'm not actually talking about that situation, just referring to how the backmarkers can take advantage of drivers pulling out before the race.

Edited by Fastcake, 04 July 2013 - 20:09.

Advertisement

#40 ANF

ANF

• 29,328 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 20:14

Good statement. Now let's hope the practice sessions will be wet...

#41 speednerd

speednerd

• 80 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 20:23

Sounds like something Ferrari would do.. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

#42 spacekid

spacekid

• 3,143 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 20:23

Given that Pirelli made a statement yesterday essentially saying - our tires aren't a problem, its the way you are using them - I find this interesting.

I wonder if this quote was from before or after Pirelli made their statement?

TC3000 has already brilliantly broken down the contributory factors behind Silverstones tyre failures in the relevant thread. I believe Pirelli have provided a poor product, but also that there are mitigating circumstances behind it, and I expect they would like to move on from talk like this.

Could there be a point at which Pirelli will say - we don't need this?

It is possible that a tyre will go this weekend. Occaisonally punctures do happen, with any tyre at any track. Should a single puncture result in a red flag? Could just be a random fluke, could signify further failures. It will be a really tough call - I'm glad it isn't mine to make, I'm not sure what I would do.

#43 Kobasmashi

Kobasmashi

• 734 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 20:25

Does Imola 1982 count as a boycott? I know it was a partial one but...

As for this weekend, I don't think it will happen. F1 being F1, some/all of the teams will feel they have too much to gain by risking it and running.

#44 spacekid

spacekid

• 3,143 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 20:25

Sounds like something Ferrari would do.. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I was just about to write - don't be snarky, no team would tell a driver to take a risk like that, and then I remembered you know what at Singapore.

I really hope no one in F1 would consider something like that, but it made me realise we don't really know do we?

Not saying I think Ferrari, Marussia or anyone else would.

#45 skalet

skalet

• 184 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 20:29

"That's why we have helmets" - Raikkonen will drive :lol:

#46 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 5,618 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 20:30

Good on them.

:up: Yep, There is Power in a Union  ;)

#47 MrAerodynamicist

MrAerodynamicist

• 14,226 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 20:34

I have no doubt they will if it occurs during practice or qualifying, but it could be interesting dynamics if it repeats in the race. In the heat of the moment, will they want to blink first and potentially withdraw while others do not.

#48 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 20:35

Ken Tyrrell walked the track with a spanner, tightening up the bolts!

#49 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 2,726 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 20:41

I have no doubt they will if it occurs during practice or qualifying, but it could be interesting dynamics if it repeats in the race. In the heat of the moment, will they want to blink first and potentially withdraw while others do not.

I expect a red flag the moment a tyre goes (if it happens in the race) and for it to be abandoned immediately, even if it's after 4 laps, meaning that wouldn't be an issue.

Edited by HuddersfieldTerrier1986, 04 July 2013 - 20:42.

#50 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 20:44

I still think the tire issues were specific to Silverstone.