Lord Laidlaw's Linge/Nocker Porsche 904/6...a challenge

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 LukeDavenport

LukeDavenport

• 1 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 22:07

Hi all,

This is a first post for me but hopefully an interesting topic which someone can help me on.

It has been well documented recently that Lord Laidlaw's race stable will be on sale later this year. One of the title cars is the 1965 Linge/Nocker Porsche 904/6 chassis 906-012.

This car came 4th at Le Mans and also competed in the Nurburgring 1000km earlier in the year. One of the interesting things about this car is its unique front nose which is "pinched" as can be seen in the link below:

http://barchetta.med...578_419.jpg.jpg

The manager of Irvine's cars, Phil Stainton, is one of the finest researchers about and he is the man behind Lord Laidlaw's purchases. He has many photos of this particular car in period showing this different front end at various points of the season.

From the discussions had, we know its the only car to have this unique nose, but nobody seems to know why. Not even the people at the porsche museum or any of the porsche historians who Phil has spoken to (apologies, I can't remember their names).

Its a quirky part of the car and I thought it worthwhile asking peoples views. In the limited research I have done, the car definitely has this front end for its first race at Nurburgring, however, in the only footage of the car I can see at Le Mans (youtube) it is almost impossible to tell if its the same front end or not. All that can be seen is that the additional "night race" rectangular headlights are fitted differently to that of any other 904.

It would be great to find out why this front end was different.

http://www.racingspo...-05-23-022a.jpg

Cheers,

Luke

Advertisement

#2 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,546 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:38

From last year's Revival:

Posted Image

I'm assuming it's the same car.

Edited by Barry Boor, 10 July 2013 - 05:39.