Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

Fernando Alonso is ''fighting Vettel''

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
74 replies to this topic

Poll: Fernando Alonso is ''fighting Vettel'' (147 member(s) have cast votes)

Read The OP and Then Give Your Opinion on Why Alonso is Making these Statements!

1. Alonso is just stating facts/his opinion. (69 votes [46.94%])

Percentage of vote: 46.94%

2. Ferrari is going to make a bid for Vettel to drive with Alonso (9 votes [6.12%])

Percentage of vote: 6.12%

3. Alonso is planning a surprise bid for a Red Bull Seat (6 votes [4.08%])

Percentage of vote: 4.08%

4. Alonso is just messing with Vettel's mind (33 votes [22.45%])

Percentage of vote: 22.45%

5. The Press has likely misconstrued Alonso's words (15 votes [10.20%])

Percentage of vote: 10.20%

6. None of the Above - I will give my opinion in my post. (15 votes [10.20%])

Percentage of vote: 10.20%

Vote

#1 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 19:57

http://www.auto123.c...13?artid=157775

So now Alonso has conceded that he is fighting against Vettel and not Newey. According to Alonso, he was misunderstood by some last year when he declared that he was "fighting Newey". He now says that he simply meant that the RB8 was a good car - nothing against Vettel, who he has mutual respect with. He is fighting Sebastian now, he says and the reason Sebastian is ahead is because he has done the best job.

Well it could be that Alonso is simply answering the press and stating his opinion, facts or a clarification. But why wait an entire year to clarify something stated a year ago?

I tend to think it doesn't sound like Alonso and there is an ulterior motive behind his words (even if they are also fact and his opinion and/or clarification), but that doesn't mean it is necessarily a bad motive.

My first thoughts were that Ferrari might be looking to bring Vettel into the fold earlier than originally planned - or - perhaps Alonso is going to make a surprising bid for the Red Bull seat that Kimi has shown some reluctance for. However, as stated, Alonso may just be answering the press, or maybe up to mind games or maybe the press is up to its games again - or maybe you feel I have it all wrong and you can explain in your post.

I find it quite interesting. I have never created a poll, so I wanted to do one; it includes a non-choice so you can ignore my choices if you like. Anyway, what do you guys think? Is this an about face by Alonso, and if so, is there a reason for it? Or is it consistent with what he has said before and just his opinion?

This thread is not intended to foster a discussion of Alonso v. Seb or to bash either driver. Please refrain from discussing those topics and driver bashing or the thread will be closed I am sure. The question is whether or not Alonso's words are a precursor for a push by Ferrari for Vettel; a push by Alonso for a Red Bull seat; just more press talk - or something else like competitive mind gaming, etc.

Edited by bourbon, 13 July 2013 - 20:02.

Advertisement

#2 TheThirdTenor1

TheThirdTenor1

• 882 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 20:02

I agree with Alonso. Vettel is doing the best job so far this year.

#3 EthanM

EthanM

• 4,819 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 20:03

But why wait an entire year to clarify something stated a year ago?

Cause the little "I m fighting Newey" mind game went woosh right over Vettel's head, ie he didn't give a damn what Alonso was perceived to think about him.

#4 Zava

Zava

• 7,116 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 20:09

you missed an option: mind games against Newey.
:smoking:

#5 TheThirdTenor1

TheThirdTenor1

• 882 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 20:15

Cause the little "I m fighting Newey" mind game went woosh right over Vettel's head, ie he didn't give a damn what Alonso was perceived to think about him.

I find it amazing how you can know exactly what Vettel was thinking.

#6 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,150 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 20:24

It's great that he finally gives credit to Vettel, who so far has had fantastic season....the timing however is strange, just couple of days ago Fernando said that he and Vettel together in a Ferrari would be good thing for the team and if the team wants that he would agree...it's like he knows he is coming very soon.

#7 Briz

Briz

• 453 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 20:29

When Alonso said he was fighting Newey, it backfired on him, because Vettel suddenly felt no more pressure as he was reassured Alonso wasn't fighting him. Thus he performed great and won the 2012 title. Now Alonso has realised his mistake and is trying to change that, putting the pressure back on Vettel and also making Newey relaxed and lazy, slacking with development from now on.

#8 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 20:37

Nando is out to get Sebi.

#9 EthanM

EthanM

• 4,819 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 20:37

he was asked what he was thinking and he said it, quite eloquently. And he also showed it.

#10 Rybo

Rybo

• 366 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 20:46

This championship will come down to how well Ferrari can develop their car, and how much Mercedes can mix things up. Fighting Vettel? Not so much.

#11 g1n

g1n

• 894 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 21:05

When Alonso said he was fighting Newey, it backfired on him, because Vettel suddenly felt no more pressure as he was reassured Alonso wasn't fighting him. Thus he performed great and won the 2012 title. Now Alonso has realised his mistake and is trying to change that, putting the pressure back on Vettel and also making Newey relaxed and lazy, slacking with development from now on.

:smoking: :rotfl:

#12 P0inters

P0inters

• 1,143 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 21:07

he was asked what he was thinking and he said it, quite eloquently. And he also showed it.

I wouldn't believe every single thing any of the drivers say.

#13 Blackmore

Blackmore

• 152 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 21:18

Vettel never seems to fall for these alleged mind games. In fact, when the going gets tough, he gets tougher. The more people hate on him, the better he drives, like he feeds on the negativity. And the more he wins, the more hate he gets so it's a vicious cycle.

The fact there are now reports here and there coming out how Alonso has in his contract that he can block being teamed up with Vettel maybe is the reason Alonso is now saying he wont mind it. PR campaign knowing well that ferrari cannot hire Vettel because of the agreement.

But the final year of a contract (2016) always has clausules which seems to be playing a role in his latest comments (praising Vettel which he never did before this season, saying how it is not just the car but that Vettel is a great driver). Same with Hamilton though, last weekend saying Vettel is a special driver.

Maybe these 2 realized they came across very disrespectful and petulant and also saw their tactic did not work against Vettel and stopped it.

#14 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 21:38

SV has been fantastic this season ... easily his best season so far.

Maybe FA is just being honest....

#15 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 21:48

It's not like he retracted his last year's statement, is it? By saying this, he is just reiterating his last year's point. May be he is thinking that 'if he says it is down to the driver now, the cars are closer now, it would help him/his team the championship can still be turned around - like, look he did better job in the earlier part of the season, I can do the same now'. May be he is trying to reassure himself. Not always he is that much in control of his mind and pokes others, lot of times he is just out of control and blabbers. Just look at the 2006 and 2007 seasons. May be he is loose-talking. He can lose his as much as he tries to mess with others'.

#16 Higli

Higli

• 262 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 22:03

It's an old Samurai trick: Soothe your enemy with kind words and then stab him unexpectedly from the back!

#17 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 3,598 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 22:24

It's an old Samurai trick: Soothe your enemy with kind words and then stab him unexpectedly from the back!

:clap:

I agree with him about last year and this year,Lotus and Ferrari can challenge just have to do a better job saturdays.

#18 mattferg

mattferg

• 847 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 22:44

Please no Alonso at Red Bull. Look what he did to poor McLaren and Renault.

#19 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 4,536 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 22:48

SV has been fantastic this season ... easily his best season so far.
Maybe FA is just being honest....

No, that was 2011.

Advertisement

#20 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 23:00

None, Alonso is trying to raise morale at Maranello instead of making it seem he would drop them for Red Bull in a heartbeat.

#21 V3TT3L

V3TT3L

• 1,681 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 23:01

Nothing changes, after all Alonso was talking to Bild, german press.

Better say that than 'I gave Vettel three WDC on a silver plate'.

#22 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 23:28

Does it matter? He literally lets his driving do the talking.

#23 TheThirdTenor1

TheThirdTenor1

• 882 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 23:37

It's great that he finally gives credit to Vettel, who so far has had fantastic season....the timing however is strange, just couple of days ago Fernando said that he and Vettel together in a Ferrari would be good thing for the team and if the team wants that he would agree...it's like he knows he is coming very soon.

This isnt the first time he's said it. He had similar praise for Vettel in one of the driver press conferences (i think in Canada).

#24 TheThirdTenor1

TheThirdTenor1

• 882 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 23:39

I do not think that Seb is playing any mind games with anyone, and I would include Webber. Results on the track is enough.

That's great. Though the OP was not asking whether Seb plays mind games, so this post seems rather pointless.

#25 TheThirdTenor1

TheThirdTenor1

• 882 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 23:44

So how do you know the comments didn't affect him? How do you know that the mistakes in Abu Dhabi and Brazil were not because of the comments getting to Vettel?

#26 SUPRAF1

SUPRAF1

• 400 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 23:44

If I remember correctly, I think what he meant was that at the start of 2012, Red Bull were qualifying around 5th/6th and finishing there as well. However by mid-season they were winning and had greatly improved.

Obviously it's much more likely that the car improved (hence fighting Newey) than Vettel and Webber being relatively weak at the start and then suddenly getting better. It's not like they lost driving skill or something.

#27 TheThirdTenor1

TheThirdTenor1

• 882 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 23:45

It did not backfire on him. He made the comments after qualifying in India. He outscored Vettel in the last 4 races of the season despite having an inferior car.

#28 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,473 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 23:50

So now Alonso has conceded that he is fighting against Vettel and not Newey. According to Alonso, he was misunderstood by some last year when he declared that he was "fighting Newey". He now says that he simply meant that the RB8 was a good car - nothing against Vettel, who he has mutual respect with. He is fighting Sebastian now, he says and the reason Sebastian is ahead is because he has done the best job.

(.. ...)
Or is it consistent with what he has said before and just his opinion?

The way I read it, he says: last year I was fighting Newey, this year I am fighting Sebastian. Last year I was fighting "an aeroplane". This year I'm fighting a very good driver.

That has nothing to do with being consistent or not. It's a different opinion based on a different perception of reality.

Edited by scheivlak, 13 July 2013 - 23:53.

#29 gillesthegenius

gillesthegenius

• 2,534 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:18

Or maybe he is also experiencing what Lewis Hamilton admitted to, when he said this about Vettel...

The more I race with him the more I respect him.

#30 mattferg

mattferg

• 847 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:08

It did not backfire on him. He made the comments after qualifying in India. He outscored Vettel in the last 4 races of the season despite having an inferior car.

Where did this nonsense come from?! Vettel finished ahead of him in the US and Indian GPs, unless you mean outscored overall in these races, which matters f all unless he scored more than him overall. If you take away Brazil Vettel outscored him.

#31 gillesthegenius

gillesthegenius

• 2,534 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:29

And inspite of being sent to the back of the grid in Abu Dhabi for no fault of Alonso himself, right? :wave:

#32 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:30

Alonso is definitely playing mind games with Vettel fans

#33 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:44

Let's stay on topic guys.

Some intersting ideas have evolved. Alonso was speaking to the German press - that is an interesting angle and may have some impact on what he chose to say. Also the idea that Marenello might be in need of a little encouragement at this stage of the game is another good reason for statements venerating Ferrari at present.

#34 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 7,032 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:05

Nando is out to get Sebi.

By doing a "Tonya Harding" move? :D

#35 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 7,032 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:07

Alonso is definitely playing mind games with Vettel fans

Then he is wasting his time and energy unnecessarily.

#36 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,414 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:28

Come on guys.. Does anyone, whether you like Fernando or not, disagree with the fact he is in fact fighting against them both? Be fair here.

I've said many times the top three drivers on the grid are Hamilton, Vettel & Alonso, in no particular order. <-- This is subjective and opinion only.

Newey > any other teams Chief Technical Officer/Aerodynamicist

Adrian has completely crushed all other teams Engineers & Aero Engineers since the latest rules change, sans 2009. His cars have a times been way ahead of all of the other cars and even the times his cars weren't, they were close. So is it any wonder Fernando mentioned Newey?

Instead of looking at Alonso's previous comments as a slight to Seb, ever think it could actually be a jab at his own team to step up themselves? After all is is driving for the most widely considered greatest team in F1 and they haven't managed to beat over a season a team much younger.

It's obvious to me at least when he made those comments last year he was saying not only was he fighting Seb, but also going against the best current mind in F1. Not much of a stretch there. And it's not like F1 drivers are quick to toot the horn of other drivers.

No new story here IMHO. Nothing said in 2012 or 2013 was untrue.

#37 Briz

Briz

• 453 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:16

It DID backfire. If it didn't, he would have lapped Vettel in each of those races despite the Ferrari performing somewhere between HRT and Marrussia.

#38 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 60,373 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:20

Uh, Alonso is quite smart, understands that the RB car is far superior to his Ferrari and knows he's got an uphill battle. Not rocket science is it?

#39 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:34

Seems to be a honest answer, nothing more. I guess all top drivers get along way better than their fans do.

Advertisement

#40 Lone

Lone

• 1,122 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:00

I believe he's only beeing polite since it's a german publication asking the questions.

#41 Nigol

Nigol

• 2,744 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:32

:kiss:

#42 joshb

joshb

• 3,387 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:51

I think it's another attempt, one which will ultimately fail again, to distract Vettel

But the reality is, what he was saying is right- Vettel has been superb so far this season, I think he's right up there with his 2011 level

#43 apoka

apoka

• 5,878 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:25

This comment and the last one that he would like to drive with Vettel in Ferrari are surprising for me. I think it is a) an honest reply and/or b) there is a chance that both actually drive together at Ferrari in 2016-2017. In the later case, it would make sense to also praise your rival a bit.

Another explanation is that some admiration comes with the consistency at which an athlete performs at the top. Alonso and Vettel are both examples of performing to a very high level in F1 over many years. Over that time span span, it becomes increasingly unlikely that we are witnessing merely mediocre drivers (by F1 standards) in great cars.

#44 MichaelPM

MichaelPM

• 3,064 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:55

Currently fighting Pat Fry
Unknowingly playing mind games with weak minded fans
The Press goes out of the way to misconstrue Alonso's words
Wants to get Vettel out of a RB more than blocking him from Ferrari

Above all, he is just telling it like it is.

#45 Crossmax

Crossmax

• 1,334 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:02

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

#46 TheThirdTenor1

TheThirdTenor1

• 882 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:55

btw, Alonso's words last year were “We’re not only fighting Sebastian, but also Newey!”.

So he was not disregarding Vettel. Seems some Vettel fans are overly sensitive.

#47 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,534 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 13:20

Posts deleted. A reminder of the OP's warning:

This thread is not intended to foster a discussion of Alonso v. Seb or to bash either driver. Please refrain from discussing those topics and driver bashing or the thread will be closed I am sure. The question is whether or not Alonso's words are a precursor for a push by Ferrari for Vettel; a push by Alonso for a Red Bull seat; just more press talk - or something else like competitive mind gaming, etc.

Please discuss the extent to which you think Fernando Alonso's words reflect a possible acceptance of Sebastian Vettel as a team mate at Ferrari, a coded offer to drive for Red Bull or indeed what else you think he might have meant. It is not a chance to just share your general opinions of either driver. Thank you.

#48 ardbeg

ardbeg

• 2,876 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 13:57

It's true. Neweys sigh of relief almost brought us a very early autumn.

#49 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 15:08

What a complete non-story.

#50 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 15:13

Lets see what exactly did he said last year

http://www.autosport....php/id/103780/

"At the moment we are not fighting against Sebastian only," Alonso said following qualifying. "We are also fighting against Newey let's say - [the team] has finished first or second in the last four races.

So indeed he never said he was fighting Newey. He said he was fighting Sebastian and Newey because Red Bull was finishing ahead with both cars. Therefore, he was indeed misunderstood last year.

Edited by fabr68, 14 July 2013 - 15:13.