* * * * * 1 votes

Pat Symonds joins Williams....

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,746 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:11

Announcement out today that Pat Symonds will join Williams! I was hoping for this a couple of years back, that as soon as his ban was lifted, Williams would sign him. Great for Williams but I am surprised that Coughlan is leaving already, but with this years hugely dissapointing car.....

Rumours around Nielsen joining Ferrari are strong, but it would be perfect if him and Symonds could join forces again. I guess this season is a write-off for Williams, but they should be in good stead for next year now I think, obviously a reasonable budget permitting.

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/108806

Edited by race addicted, 16 July 2013 - 09:17.

Advertisement

#2 Gyno

Gyno

• 657 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:17

About time they fired someone.

#3 heineken2008

heineken2008

• 120 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:30

I was sure Coughlan was banned from F1 . . interesting that he was back in 2011 . . did not know that . . or dont remember that happening anyway . .

Oh well, sure Pat will bring the team up to speed - interesting that they (williams) hired I guy that was part of that espionage way back in 2007

#4 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 4,794 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:32

I wonder if Coughlan could find himself back at McLaren?

#5 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,267 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:38

There's no way McLaren would ever employ Coughlan again

#6 Hans V

Hans V

• 651 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:42

I wonder if Coughlan could find himself back at McLaren?

Greeat news. Pity with Coughlan, he seems like a great engineer, but is perhaps not a great manager/director. Seems like he's had too much on his plate. Symonds, OTOH, knows how to organize, which I believe Williams need more than anything else.

Edited by Hans V, 16 July 2013 - 09:43.

#7 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:11

There's no way McLaren would ever employ Coughlan again

Coughlan to Sauber?

#8 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,716 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:11

Best thing Williams has done in about a decade now. This is great news. :up:

#9 OSX

OSX

• 4,877 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:22

Good to see Symonds back in a proper role and in a proper or should I say in a more well funded team. Hope he manages to push Williams back in the front line. Wonder where Coughlan ends up now.

#10 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,150 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:27

Interesting news...strange feeling Coughlan could end up Lotus :)

#11 Babak

Babak

• 112 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:30

It's a long time now, that I'm wondering what's wrong with Williams; so many respected and high profile names coming in and then leaving, and nothing positive in terms of results seems to happen there. Sam Michael, Adam Parr, Coughlan, and some others inbetween and before that. I remember Dr. Theissen saying after BMW Williams breakup, that Williams cannot build a good chassis anymore. I was hoping that he'd be proven wrong sooner rather than later, but so far results don't show. Is it the managerial structure? Is it the atmosphere? Whatever it is, to me from outside it looks like a bad curse. Sir Frank seems like a lost man who has ran out of ideas as to how to save his once glorious business as a proud F1 team owner. I really hope to see them up on the grid, as it most certainly adds to the authenticity of Formula 1 and will be a significant boost for F1's image as well.

#12 OSX

OSX

• 4,877 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:54

It's a long time now, that I'm wondering what's wrong with Williams; so many respected and high profile names coming in and then leaving, and nothing positive in terms of results seems to happen there. Sam Michael, Adam Parr, Coughlan, and some others inbetween and before that. I remember Dr. Theissen saying after BMW Williams breakup, that Williams cannot build a good chassis anymore. I was hoping that he'd be proven wrong sooner rather than later, but so far results don't show. Is it the managerial structure? Is it the atmosphere? Whatever it is, to me from outside it looks like a bad curse. Sir Frank seems like a lost man who has ran out of ideas as to how to save his once glorious business as a proud F1 team owner. I really hope to see them up on the grid, as it most certainly adds to the authenticity of Formula 1 and will be a significant boost for F1's image as well.

I guess it's a case of not affording to have even one single bad season and whenever it happens they push the panic button and replace the whoever man is seen, or could be seen from the outside in, as being the one most responsible. It's easier to have talks with potential new financial partners/sponsors when you can say that the fault to the dismal season has been fixed and the next season is yet again filled with great potential.

#13 EVO2

EVO2

• 754 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:06

This is very good news : at last Williams have appointed a proven leader to head the technical dept.

I was always doubtful of the ability of Coughlan and even more surprised when Sam Michael was promoted into a more senior role at McLaren after having to leave Williams. He may have had some early success sorting out McLaren's pitstop problems but look where they are now !

There can't be a genuine F1 enthusiast anywhere who doesn't want to see Sir Frank's team back at the front.
Today just might be the beginning of the fight back.

Here's hoping........

#14 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 2,856 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:07

Came out of the blue. Sounds like blind panic to me. Even more surprising when you consider how many years Sam Michael was given to produce one sh1tbox after another. It's probably too late for Symonds to effect the 2014 car though.

Edited by Petroltorque, 16 July 2013 - 12:26.

#15 MustangSally

MustangSally

• 1,151 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:15

I remember Dr. Theissen saying after BMW Williams breakup, that Williams cannot build a good chassis anymore. I was hoping that he'd be proven wrong sooner rather than later, but so far results don't show.

Not entirely true. Williams built a race-winning car last year, but squandered 90% of the season on the world's most inept driver combination.

#16 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 3,521 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:25

OK decision

#17 g1n

g1n

• 894 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:41

Swapped one cheat for another.

#18 Zippel

Zippel

• 1,145 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:50

Williams do seem to be picking a couple of black sheep lately. Next thing you know Sutil is driving with George Zimmerman as team manager.

#19 David1976

David1976

• 1,638 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:56

This is a great appointment for Williams.

Symonds is proven. He worked wonders at Marussia, and quickly. We already know what he achieved at Renault/Benetton/Toleman. If Pat get's what he needs in terms of support, staff and finances I am pretty sure Williams will rise up the grid. It may take 2-3 years before we start seeing results though...

Advertisement

#20 RayInTorontoCanada

RayInTorontoCanada

• 570 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 13:11

Swapped one cheat for another.

LOL ;) :D

On the surface of it, sure.

But, irrespective of Symmonds' involvement in CrashGate, he's a proven winner and Williams can only go up from here with him there.

:up:

Edited by RayInTorontoCanada, 16 July 2013 - 13:13.

#21 EthanM

EthanM

• 4,819 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 13:12

Williams do seem to be picking a couple of black sheep lately. Next thing you know Sutil is driving with George Zimmerman as team manager.

well they don't really have the money or clout to be that selective anymore, do they? Black sheep come cheaper, and if they have talent that doesn't go away

Edited by EthanM, 16 July 2013 - 13:12.

#22 BoschKurve

BoschKurve

• 1,525 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 13:19

We'll see if this pays off for Williams. At least they are doing this before 2014 instead of during.

#23 Garagiste

Garagiste

• 3,799 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 13:20

I remember Dr. Theissen saying after BMW Williams breakup, that Williams cannot build a good chassis anymore.

And deciding they could do sooo much better on their own, then winning one whole race before slinking off with tail between legs.
Fingers crossed that Pat is what is missing, my main worry is the lack of funds for next year due to lack of points this year.

#24 chrisj

chrisj

• 1,000 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 13:37

It's too bad Williams continue to hire scandal-ridden cheats like Symonds. Is there no place to get new talent into the sport? This seems like a desperate act from a team circling the drain.

#25 Suntrek

Suntrek

• 1,796 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 14:04

It's too bad Williams continue to hire scandal-ridden cheats like Symonds. Is there no place to get new talent into the sport? This seems like a desperate act from a team circling the drain.

Don't think Williams are in particular concerned about bringing "new talent" (whatever that means) into the sport. They will want a knowledgeable, intelligent, experienced man. Thus Pat Symonds fits perfectly.

#26 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 2,731 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 14:15

When alls said and done, punishment has been served.... People make mistakes bad judgements and what not, some get caught some do not!

Crashgate was 5 years ago! Spygate 6, the teams have forgotten and moved on.....

#27 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,716 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 14:24

Hmmm...

Posted Image

#28 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 16:41

And deciding they could do sooo much better on their own, then winning one whole race before slinking off with tail between legs.
Fingers crossed that Pat is what is missing, my main worry is the lack of funds for next year due to lack of points this year.

Not that it matters much, but just for the record, they have done on their own in short period better than Williams, Check it out, before you write. Moreover, change of their corporate policy (focus on road green car) has nothing to do with F1 other than F1 is out of synch with that target.

#29 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 16:49

Symonds is worth his weight in gold to any team. Williams has done the right thing in hirig him. Claire Williams is making the right decisions. You are wrong.

#30 Garagiste

Garagiste

• 3,799 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 17:40

Not that it matters much, but just for the record, they have done on their own in short period better than Williams, Check it out, before you write. Moreover, change of their corporate policy (focus on road green car) has nothing to do with F1 other than F1 is out of synch with that target.

You can spin it any way you like, and so can I - they did better with Williams than they did withouth them. :cat:

#31 SPBHM

SPBHM

• 1,068 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 18:05

I thought it was natural that at some point Symonds would move from Marussia to a bigger team again,
I think it's a good move by Williams, certainly Symonds is a little "undesirable" at the moment because of the cheating scandal, and I can't see him working for a top team... but for Williams it's worth the try, they are in a desperate situation and are not going to attract any other big names like him at the moment I guess... it looked last year like Williams was on the right path again, but they certainly need changes now... this is making 2011 look good, and they don't have Cosworth engine and blown diffuser excuses anymore,

#32 hogstar

hogstar

• 553 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 19:10

Coughlan was interviewed on T.V (BBC I think) a few GP's ago and said Williams would be back in the top ten in a few races. Coughlan looked nervous, uncomfortable and out of his depth. I didn't believe a word he said and I don't think he did either! Clearly a man under pressure.

I'm keeping an open mind on Symonds, though I'm hoping it is a move in the right direction, even if it turns out to be a small one. Williams had to do something as standing still was not an option in the technical department. I think Pat may be decent in the short term, but the team should look for someone younger in the middle/long term.

Williams need to make good quality appointments and keep them. As I've posted before, as Williams are a lower end midfield team, if some young gun gets them to the sharp end, they will be wanted men.

I think the timing is interesting as there should be enough time for significant input in next years car from Symonds, but I'm not expecting miracles.

#33 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 19:55

If we see changes (improvements) coming races, it means Coughlan did made a good car but operated badly.
If we see no changes in order then that is just the way it is.
If we see things going backwards,... huummmm...
In 2014, I am not too sure if we see changes, as it is so far in the design phase around Merc engine which Pat do not know yet, unless he saw over the shoulder what Williams was doing there.

#34 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 4,543 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 23:42

:lol:

#35 packapoo

packapoo

• 731 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:23

Hmmmm, Dr. Theissen. What would you say was the overwhelming attribute to BMW's stunning F1 successes?
Engine, chassis, drivers?

#36 packapoo

packapoo

• 731 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:26

Hmmm...

Posted Image

Unless I'm mistaken, that's a Mercedes picture you have there.....?

#37 dau

dau

• 5,373 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:54

Hmmmm, Dr. Theissen. What would you say was the overwhelming attribute to BMW's stunning F1 successes?
Engine, chassis, drivers?

Well, they did end up ahead of Williams in every single season since the split and other than in 2010, so did the team they chose as their new partner.

#38 Force Ten

Force Ten

• 4,100 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:24

Well, they did end up ahead of Williams in every single season since the split and other than in 2010, so did the team they chose as their new partner.

Well they did have somewhat extended budget compared to Williams and also compared to the team they chose as their new partner used to have.

#39 dau

dau

• 5,373 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:48

Well they did have somewhat extended budget compared to Williams and also compared to the team they chose as their new partner used to have.

Sure, but that's been a long time ago and Sauber is struggling since BMW left, while Williams has what must be the most lucrative sponsorship deal since the tobacco era for the last three years, even if that means having to run Maldo. Their budget is exceeding that of most midfield teams, they are running the WCC-winning engines for the second year and still haven't scored a single point this season. No, that's not the drivers, that's not the engines, that's not the money. That's the car.

Advertisement

#40 kurski

kurski

• 311 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:21

Pat Symonds will most likely Williams with Marusia the best engineers, and probably also some of the old familiar from Enstone familiar.

#41 Zippel

Zippel

• 1,145 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:30

Pat Symonds will most likely Williams with Marusia the best engineers, and probably also some of the old familiar from Enstone familiar.

Yes.

#42 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,392 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:41

Williams need better organisation and more brainpower. Hope Symonds delivers where Coughlan didn't- finds right people to do right things in right way at Williams.

#43 David1976

David1976

• 1,638 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:47

Another thing that crossed my mind is the timing of Symonds move.

With Lotus rumoured to be having serious financial difficulties perhaps now is the time to poach vulnerable Engineering talent from Enstone? At least they'd get paid on time!

On paper this move is looking increasingly positive for Williams. Fingers crossed for them.

#44 BoschKurve

BoschKurve

• 1,525 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 13:17

Sure, but that's been a long time ago and Sauber is struggling since BMW left, while Williams has what must be the most lucrative sponsorship deal since the tobacco era for the last three years, even if that means having to run Maldo. Their budget is exceeding that of most midfield teams, they are running the WCC-winning engines for the second year and still haven't scored a single point this season. No, that's not the drivers, that's not the engines, that's not the money. That's the car.

+1

It's incredible at just how bad they got the car itself this season.

After last season, they were setup perfectly for this year, and instead they've managed to take a number of steps backwards.

#45 OSX

OSX

• 4,877 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 14:58

+1

After last season, they were setup perfectly for this year, and instead they've managed to take a number of steps backwards.

Well, McLaren got themselves pretty damn deep as well this year though Williams does seem to be doing it to themselves more often and more thoroughly...

#46 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 16:49

+1

The last year was the bench mark with the way ho Sauber sorted out the exhaust. Even Newey has copied the Sauber solution.

#47 Mr Plug

Mr Plug

• 126 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 20:48

How quickly everyone has forgotten the calm, effective, efficiency that Mark Gillan brought to the team in 2012.....he is someone who Williams should be trying their damndest to bring back.

#48 joora

joora

• 351 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 22:40

How quickly everyone has forgotten the calm, effective, efficiency that Mark Gillan brought to the team in 2012.....he is someone who Williams should be trying their damndest to bring back.

I don't think people are forgetting Gillan, this years results are the best possible reminder of how good Gillan was in 2012... I hope Williams can persuade him to come back.

#49 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,392 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 15:58

How often do you see someone leaves the team and comes back after half a year?

No way this will happen IMO.

I don't know if this is reliable source, but I've read some time ago that one of the Williams employees called Gillan an "useless" man.

#50 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 16:29

Can't believe people like Symonds are allowed to enter back into F1. He was part of one of the worst scandals in F1. That should have no scope to return to F1 IMO.