Photo

FerrariP275 0812: its rebirth in original style racing body

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 HistoryBuff

HistoryBuff

• 116 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 21:06

I have had this car in the back of my mind ever since it was a Car & Driver cover car. chassis 0812. 275 P. The temporary body was designed for a chassis owned by Coco Chinetti Jr., son of Luigi Chinetti, owner of the NART racing team, by fashion designer Bob Peak (whose drawings are imitated in the opening of the TV series Mad Men). It was a silver car with gullwing doors. The car has a real LeMans racing history, where I believe it caught fire. Anyway, I know it was displayed back when it had this body at a NYC auto show and a brochure handed out but does anyone recall what the quoted price was? Since they only had two chassis (Chinetti Jr. also owned another one) they couldn't have been anticipating making too many more unless they were going to a duplicate chassis. I believe the bodywork was by Michelotti. Here's a FC URL that shows the car:

http://www.ferrarich...chelotti-68.jpg

So what I wanted to know is what were Coco and Bob quoting for a price back then?I heard it has been rebodied, Fantuzzi being closed so another shop in Italy did the work. This may have been the car that Ferrari Classiche tussled with on whether they would award it classic status but I think Coco won that lawsuit. Be that as it may, wanted to know what I could have paid for the car before the Peak body was installed and during the time it was the Peak-Chinetti car. I am sure now it is worth between 4 and 12 million but hard to guess as P cars don't come up for sale that often.

Advertisement

#2 AJB

AJB

• 242 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 16:33

The link is only available to registered users.