Posted 21 July 2013 - 16:43

http://jalopnik.com/...mosco-858199331

Poor guy

Advertisement

#2 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,392 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 16:58

If it was Maldonado, then it would have been by now plenty of replies here, that he is a moron or something. :p

#3 SpartanChas

SpartanChas

• 910 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 17:00

Was a rubbish car anyway.

#4 f1seb

f1seb

• 1,545 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 17:06

If it was Maldonado, then it would have been by now plenty of replies here, that he is a moron or something. :p

At least it was wet. Maldonado could crash a car in a vacuum of space. But yeah, kind of fun seeing these guys kill the show cars.

#5 redreni

redreni

• 4,709 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 17:12

What an idiot.

At least whover organised this event actually had some kind of proper barriers lining the road - the Maldonado one made you fear for the spectators....

These demo runs are allowed to take place in places that would not be considered safe for racing on the basis that the drivers know what they're doing and aren't going to do anything daft. There seems to be mounting evidence that some drivers can't be trusted...

#6 Lights

Lights

• 17,876 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 17:23

I don't think it's that stupid. He's just trying to give a show away on a wet road (which is unfortunate on its own) and it doesn't work.

#7 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 3,521 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 17:37

I'm amazed nobody was injured, no protecting barriers there, nothing.

#8 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 17:40

I'm amazed we all still act like nature owes us safety because it's 2013. Stay frosty and keep your head up when cars are driving fast near you.

#9 goingthedistance

goingthedistance
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,471 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 17:46

Oh dear.

#10 Sardukar

Sardukar

• 692 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 18:02

I'm amazed we all still act like nature owes us safety because it's 2013. Stay frosty and keep your head up when cars are driving fast near you.

So when a piece of the car comes off at a few hundred kph i'm sure you will be frosty and get out of the way? what a silly thing to post.

#11 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 18:07

So you're saying we can count on you to post this same nonsense the next time a spectator dies at an event???

Thought not...

Edited by johnmhinds, 21 July 2013 - 18:07.

#12 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 19:13

From another angle

#13 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 1,282 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 19:14

He didn't crash in the wet...

#14 Burai

Burai

• 1,896 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 19:22

That's it Kamui, wipe this wretched car from existence.

Take an F2005 down next weekend and see if you can't spread that down a barrier too.

#15 redreni

redreni

• 4,709 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 19:27

From another angle

The wheel tether did its job, and to be fair to the organisers they had the sense to keep the crowd well back from the armco and behind a wire-mesh fence. Even so, the point stands that Kobayashi should be aware of the fact he's driving on a city street, not an FIA safety-rated race track, and he is quite simply not allowed to make a mistake in these circumstances.

#16 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 2,731 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 19:31

The wheel tether did its job, and to be fair to the organisers they had the sense to keep the crowd well back from the armco and behind a wire-mesh fence. Even so, the point stands that Kobayashi should be aware of the fact he's driving on a city street, not an FIA safety-rated race track, and he is quite simply not allowed to make a mistake in these circumstances.

Crowd!? What crowd???

#17 Nigol

Nigol

• 2,744 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 19:42

Lol. Doing burnouts at this speed on a wet street like that.....

#18 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 19:43

Sure I like the guy, but it doesn't change the fact that it takes a certain type of driver to crash a car during a demonstration. Better to do as Schumacher did on the Nordschleife recently and be accused of not driving anywhere near the limit, than crash on a demo run.

Who's the Arab prince who crashed a Renault a few years ago? That was kind of similar--getting too hot driving in a straight line.

#19 SpartanChas

SpartanChas

• 910 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 19:44

Was just gonna say its a good job the wheel tethers were working properly. Shower of carbon can't be too good though.

Advertisement

#20 muramasa

muramasa

• 8,479 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 21:19

Apparent mechanical failure :D :p

#21 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,414 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 21:25

I'm amazed nobody was injured, no protecting barriers there, nothing.

He crashed into the barrier, not sure what you mean. What else do you think he crashed into?

#22 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 21:28

Sure I like the guy, but it doesn't change the fact that it takes a certain type of driver to crash a car during a demonstration. Better to do as Schumacher did on the Nordschleife recently and be accused of not driving anywhere near the limit, than crash on a demo run.

Who's the Arab prince who crashed a Renault a few years ago? That was kind of similar--getting too hot driving in a straight line.

I'm not so sure one is better than the other, it's both quite embarassing IMO. Maybe better top stay away from demo runs alltogether.  ;)

#23 Peat

Peat

• 8,851 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 21:31

not the hardest thing to do, crashing a stiffly sprung race car on an un treated wet public road.

#24 ScuderiaSV1

ScuderiaSV1

• 158 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 22:05

Was a rubbish car anyway.

:rotfl: wanted to post exactly the same.

I think the only win that car ever produced was one of Raikkonen's best drives.

#25 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,153 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 22:28

Excellent job by Kobayashi, saving resources for the team by combining a crowd-pleasing demo with a crash test. :up:

#26 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 22:58

At least when Sato wrecked a Lotus 49, it was in a race :)

#27 exmayol

exmayol

• 558 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 22:59

not the hardest thing to do, crashing a stiffly sprung race car on an un treated wet public road.

Add no heat in the tires... people tend to forget it's not that simple to drive F1 properly at slow speeds, show or not.

#28 muramasa

muramasa

• 8,479 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 23:40

There seems to be mounting evidence that some drivers can't be trusted...

Sure I like the guy, but it doesn't change the fact that it takes a certain type of driver to crash a car during a demonstration.

only fact and evidence here is, that it's a crash at a demo run. no more no less.

Fact is that Kobayashi seldom crashes while driving alone, in either race or practice. Most of his crash due to his mistake are during battle (quite few of which are excusable, I can explain why with logic and facts, not by emotion and blind fanboysm), but even then his accident rate is still below average.
Irony is that his very first big crash of such kind (overdo it while driving by himself) had to happen during demo run in a Ferrari. Yet some people cannot help making sweeping generalization.

Most likely he would have driven differently if track was narrower and spectators closer (if anything, that's probably the safest condition for street demo-run I've ever seen).
By the looks of it, the armco can be permanent one rather than temporary? Crowd was there because there was roadside space up there for stands, altho of course give credit to the organizer (I remember RedBull's Bangkok event couple years ago looked quite scary, crowd was absolutely packed everywhere and just next to the track without any bit of gap or hard barrier, and many cars drifting at quite high speed).
Also no one wants to make mistake, probably it's he himself who knew the most in the universe he shouldnt make mistake. At the same time he was supposed to entertain crowd, ie keep turning engine up to high rev while proceeding slowly. In fact he was not going fast at all when he lost control, not more than roadcar speed..maybe 120km/h or so it seems? But when it happens it happens like that, Maldonado spin at demo run also looked bit strange, Heidfeld losing fw at BMW factory was no less comical. For Kamui, it was wet track, and maybe there was rut or white line (looks there's stripes of wet patch there) and he misjudged or underestimated the track condition. Just little bit too much showmanship maybe, but not a big deal.
I imagine he should be awfully sorry and ashamed tho. :lol:

#29 Massa

Massa

• 10,092 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 23:48

What an idiot.

At least whover organised this event actually had some kind of proper barriers lining the road - the Maldonado one made you fear for the spectators....

These demo runs are allowed to take place in places that would not be considered safe for racing on the basis that the drivers know what they're doing and aren't going to do anything daft. There seems to be mounting evidence that some drivers can't be trusted...

The crash? The track was very slippery and there was a marked bump at that point, which is why I hit the barrier. A shame, but I am pleased the team let me out again after a few minutes.”

The track was wet and F1 car are not able to drive on a marked bump. Who looks like an idiot now.. ?

#30 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,061 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 00:11

Playing silly buggers in the wet will often lead to this result. Though it seemed to be a decent barrier for such an event. I guess normal road Armco couples with a hire wire fence.
Motorsport demos have gone wrong quite a few times. The Drag Race demo in the US that ended in tragedy is still I believe in the courts.
In the 80s a local racer I know ended in the crowd at a motorsport demo [in conjunction with the GP] in a shopping centre car park. The organisers had set the track up to run the wrong way for the turn left speedway cars so the run off was straight into the crowd. I saw it happen and luckily no one suffered long term injurys, though the worst injured was a 9 y/o boy.
That went on in the courts for several years, for both the driver and the event organisers.

#31 John Player

John Player

• 600 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:15

another video

this one is closer to the impact

#32 eimantas

eimantas

• 1 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:40

As a Kobayashi fan, any dreams of Kobayashi driving for an F1 team in 2014 has been wrongfully shattered with a hammer in front of my eyes...

#33 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:58

Nonsense - he was driving the F60. Nobody will hold crashing that ton o' bolts and steel against him.

#34 dave34m

dave34m

• 814 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:01

Sure. if you're racing,,, but on a demo run. Come on, this is pretty bad.

#35 dau

dau

• 5,373 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:35

Happy now?

#36 Lights

Lights

• 17,876 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:48

Still thought this was rather ironic... :D

Posted Image

#37 charly0418

charly0418

• 3,289 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:52

Still thought this was rather ironic... :D

Posted Image

LOL, nice find

I was starting to thing that maybe Kamui had a chance at Ferrari but this doenst help hehe

#38 charly0418

charly0418

• 3,289 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:54

Still doesnt top his embarrassing moment on the pits last year

#39 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 12,219 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:55

Sure. if you're racing,,, but on a demo run. Come on, this is pretty bad.

demo run means doing "cool" stuff....that's asking for trouble in these conditions.
sure it can be done and he made a mistake but it's not like what he had to do was super easy

Advertisement

#40 crbassassin

crbassassin

• 441 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:08

What I find funny is that he keep on driving after the crash as if nothing had happened. :cry:

#41 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,213 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:11

We've seen these sorts of mistakes happen in far kinder conditions in demo runs. I wouldn't hold Kamui to account any more than other drivers who have made such mistakes over the years - and in those instances the standard response was to appreciate the irony and then move on.

#42 Trust

Trust

• 5,155 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:20

This just proves what a beast was F60 back then in 2009. It just goes to show that Raikkonen was doing miracles with it. Fisichella also proved it.

#43 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:39

This just proves what a beast was F60 back then in 2009. It just goes to show that Raikkonen was doing miracles with it. Fisichella also proved it.

Oh come on. Kobas crash is so totally irrelevant to the characteristics of the car in the 2009 F1 season.

Or else, if you really want to believe that, at least give Massa credit for doing slightly more miracolous miracles up to his crash than Raikönnen. :p

#44 FastnLoud

FastnLoud

• 1,794 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:47

Was going to say get him back in F1 but we have Grosjean for now

#45 Trust

Trust

• 5,155 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:03

Oh come on. Kobas crash is so totally irrelevant to the characteristics of the car in the 2009 F1 season.

Or else, if you really want to believe that, at least give Massa credit for doing slightly more miracolous miracles up to his crash than Raikönnen. :p

There were no miracles before Hungarian GP except Kimi's Monaco performance. That was cars genuine pace. After Hungary Kimi stepped up and deliver fabulous results with a car that is difficult to drive.

#46 froggy22

froggy22

• 807 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:13

Oh well, he's not the first driver to crash doing a demonstration, not the last. Probably embarrassing in the moment but noone will remember in a weeks time

at least it was wet, he can use that excuse. F1 cars are designed to drive at speed on a race track, not on a random Russian street, easier to crash than people seem to realise

#47 Burtros

Burtros

• 3,315 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:16

Highly amusing indecent but little else to read into it. Ive never been a huge Kobayashi fan but don't think any less of him following that.

There were no miracles before Hungarian GP except Kimi's Monaco performance. That was cars genuine pace. After Hungary Kimi stepped up and deliver fabulous results with a car that is difficult to drive.

Oh ffs, this isnt about Raikkonen and if it was all that simple then I could just as easily say that so fabulous were his results Ferrari paid him NOT to drive for them the next year.

#48 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:59

One can only wonder, how deadly this incident is, if at all, to Kamui's career in F1.

#49 DracoN

DracoN

• 901 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:19

One can only wonder, how deadly this incident is, if at all, to Kamui's career in F1.

#50 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 12,219 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 13:57

just as his pace benchmark got injured. pretty cool moment to step up your game