Photo
* * - - - 6 votes

[Split topic] Do Lewis Hamilton's personal relationships have too much influence on his racing?

• Please log in to reply
241 replies to this topic

#1 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 4,333 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 17:31

I think this thread should be renamed the Britney Vs Leona thread. I'm one of Lewis' biggest fans on the race track but my god isn't he starting to sound like a teenage girl on twitter. All he does is bang on about Nicole and how much he luds her. He really needs to grow a pair and stop being such a sap. Before I'm told off by the moderators this is definitely thread relevant. The biggest issue with Lewis over the years has been his mentality, his head not being right and at the moment, judging from his tweets where he's talking about the love song he's written Nicole, how you should never let that special one go etc you can't help but feel that his mind isn't on racing. Nico, meanwhile is just quietly getting on with it. I don't know anything about Nico's love life because he doesn't feel the need to share every bloody emotion on twitter and that's how it should be. Behaving the way he has been is just asking for trouble for Lewis and I really think we'll start to see it effecting his performances in the coming races. Expect Nico to start reeling him in throughout the second half of the season. As a side note, if i were Vettel I'd probably name my next chassis Nasty Nicole or Nympho Nicole, anything to try and get under Hamilton's skin and throw him off his game. People praise Hamilton for 'wearing his heart on his sleeve' but I can't help feeling that it makes him vulnerable and ruthless competitors will take advantage of that.

Advertisement

#2 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,401 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 17:39

I think this thread should be renamed the Britney Vs Leona thread. I'm one of Lewis' biggest fans on the race track but my god isn't he starting to sound like a teenage girl on twitter. All he does is bang on about Nicole and how much he luds her. He really needs to grow a pair and stop being such a sap. Before I'm told off by the moderators this is definitely thread relevant. The biggest issue with Lewis over the years has been his mentality, his head not being right and at the moment, judging from his tweets where he's talking about the love song he's written Nicole, how you should never let that special one go etc you can't help but feel that his mind isn't on racing. Nico, meanwhile is just quietly getting on with it. I don't know anything about Nico's love life because he doesn't feel the need to share every bloody emotion on twitter and that's how it should be. Behaving the way he has been is just asking for trouble for Lewis and I really think we'll start to see it effecting his performances in the coming races. Expect Nico to start reeling him in throughout the second half of the season. As a side note, if i were Vettel I'd probably name my next chassis Nasty Nicole or Nympho Nicole, anything to try and get under Hamilton's skin and throw him off his game. People praise Hamilton for 'wearing his heart on his sleeve' but I can't help feeling that it makes him vulnerable and ruthless competitors will take advantage of that.

I thought they broke up.

#3 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 4,333 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 17:41

I thought they broke up.

They did but he's writing her songs and wooing her via twitter. Sulking at race weekends, he needs to get a grip...

#4 FastnLoud

FastnLoud

• 1,794 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 17:46

Lewis seems to be having a breakdown on twitter bless him.

Doubt his driving will be affected at all though and i don't see how Nico will beat him this weekend unless Lewis has a Silverstone moment.

This is maybe Lewis's best track coming up.

#5 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,535 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 17:50

I said if people wanted to discuss the impact of Hamilton's personal relationships on his racing, they should make it a standalone thread because it would just drown out the scorecard stuff. So I'm doing it for you, and moving this to a split thread.

Word to the wise, folks - keep the discussion focussed and specific to the possible impact on the racing. This is a motorsports forum. If it descends into rants, or turns into one of the Heat magazine discussion forums, this is getting closed. So discuss it calmly and reasonably and report problematic posts.

#6 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 18:05

They did but he's writing her songs and wooing her via twitter. Sulking at race weekends, he needs to get a grip...

Lol, most of his recent tweets have been about Goodwood, or training. Methinks it's your focus dude.

#7 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,516 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 18:07

As a side note, if i were Vettel I'd probably name my next chassis Nasty Nicole or Nympho Nicole, anything to try and get under Hamilton's skin and throw him off his game.

Hahahahaha

#8 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 18:09

Possibly. And to have to create a happy bubble and all... He has the best job in the world, just go after it like there is no tomorrow.

#9 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 18:15

He is writing a song for an ex girlfriend?... And he is tweeting about that? No offence but it is at least pathetic and quite odd. There are plenty of girls that he might fell in love with, it is not an end of world.

#10 PaulTodd

PaulTodd

• 194 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 18:19

I have never know a driver's outside life (from racing) have such a big effect. I like Hamilton a lot but it bothers me that he allows himself to be an open target for the media.

He should keep away from the media close off his twitter and focus on his racing. I don't use twitter much but I would like to see what he has been posting if anyone could help

#11 P123

P123

• 23,879 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 18:28

No. But it does influence the opinions people hold about him.

Otherwise, I don't care.

#12 Moore

Moore

• 400 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 18:32

Doesn't seemed to have affected his racing at the past two grand prix's has it?

Not really arsed what he tweets or posts pictures of on instagram just as long as he delivers on track, which thus far he has.

#13 OO7

OO7

• 23,395 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 18:34

The title of the thread is whether Lewis' personal life influences his racing, not whether one agrees with his tweets or whether he wears a smile on a race weekend. So far there is no evidence to suggest his personal life is having a negative impact on his racing, so this thread is pointless unless we bring up 2011.

#14 Zoetrope

Zoetrope

• 1,408 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 18:37

He is writing a song for an ex girlfriend?... And he is tweeting about that? No offence but it is at least pathetic and quite odd. There are plenty of girls that he might fell in love with, it is not an end of world.

Funny to read some of the comments. It's like this game for kids, the broken telephone. Someone says some utter nonsense and then it gets caaaaaried for so long afterwards... Go check his twitter account and you will know better.

And about the influence on his racing? I see none. Even in 2011, I don't think the relationship had any impact. Some part of his mentality? Yes, but there is no evidence it was the relationship, and on top of that, it sounds bizarre to be thinking about your girlfriend taking a corner at 200kph. If anything, I think he was frustrated with the results in 2011. His speed was there, just crashed too much.

Right now I see no correlation between his performance and personal life. I remember Monza 2012, when he was somehow sad all weekend, even on the top spot of the podium. He surely had some problems, but did it influence his performance? Hell no. And this season I see no drop in form whatsoever. His driving is very mature, very clean. One can only have worries about pure pace compared to Rosberg, but I reckon it's the new team and a new car, and last races seem to form a pattern that he finally has familiarized with the environment.

All in all, I think he is handling the situation supremely well. He was beaten 3 times in a row in qualifying by his teammate, had some issues with Nicole, even recently got a freaking puncture when leading a race, but in the end, he came out on top.

#15 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,764 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 18:43

The only thing weirder than Hamilton's behaviour is the fact grown men come onto a forum to moan about it

#16 DS27

DS27

• 4,681 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 18:50

or defend it...

#17 Xeriks

Xeriks

• 1,131 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 18:51

Not really, his on track performances have been fine.

#18 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,621 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 18:52

Lol he's fine. Next.

#19 Burtros

Burtros

• 3,266 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 18:54

It may not effect his performance, but it may reflect his relationship with his team. We all know his relationship with McLaren broke down, and that Mercedes was the fresh start in a happy bubble he needed, so we were told. Its deeply unimpressive seeing him plod all round the place with a face like thunder - he has learnt absolutely nothing.

It goes without saying he'd be better either not exposing himself to it, or learning to leave it outside the gates to an F1 track. So, while it may be hard to pinpoint anything as proof I think anyone who honestly believes it has no effect is kidding themselves. Unhappy people do not achieve in the same way that happy, content people do. Its a simple fact and one Hamilton cannot be immune to on all levels.

-On the offtrack side, it makes him ever less popular. Not that it matters to me.... but I do think it matters to Lewis.

Edited by Burtros, 23 July 2013 - 18:55.

Advertisement

#20 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 18:57

I do not believe that Hamilton's relationships have too much influence on his racing. Here is why: he broke up with his girl and he can and will deal with it over time - but meanwhile, his PR agent has told him that anything and everything that can get him mentions in the press must be exploited until Lewis Hamilton becomes a household name (good or moderately bad - doesn't matter, just so it is known).

So that is all that is going on here, imo.

In my opinion, Hamilton does put a little too much emphasis on the PR stuff in his quiet, extroverted manner; whereas in my view, there would be no problem at all with him focusing on his personal relationships and racing if he did so in a quiet introverted manner.

Edited by bourbon, 23 July 2013 - 19:09.

#21 OO7

OO7

• 23,395 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 18:57

Right now I see no correlation between his performance and personal life. I remember Monza 2012, when he was somehow sad all weekend, even on the top spot of the podium. He surely had some problems, but did it influence his performance? Hell no.

:up:

#22 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 19:07

Has there ever been a driver, about who we can say that a relationship problem affected their racing? I remember Enzo Ferrari saying that kids slowed drivers down, but wife/girlfriend? Any thoughts?

#23 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,143 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 19:20

It's shame that people stick their nose in the personal lives of others. When the visor is down he will race 110%.

And it is refreshing to see drivers being human and not a PR hero-robot. And I like that he has a bit more freedom than he did at Woking. No one is truly free in the F1 paddock.

#24 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,139 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 19:31

What the drivers do in their personal time is up to them as long as it doesn't affect their racing. Given Hamilton's typically strong performances this year, I think that sole condition is met. We'd like to think that the drivers live solely for F1 and motorsports in general - and indeed some of them seem to - but many do have lives of their own outside of the sport.

#25 FastnLoud

FastnLoud

• 1,794 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 19:36

It's shame that people stick their nose in the personal lives of others. When the visor is down he will race 110%.

And it is refreshing to see drivers being human and not a PR hero-robot. And I like that he has a bit more freedom than he did at Woking. No one is truly free in the F1 paddock.

Yes, especially when he tweets about his personal life on twitter which has over 1 million followers :rotfl:

#26 RayInTorontoCanada

RayInTorontoCanada

• 570 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 19:43

...if i were Vettel I'd probably name my next chassis Nasty Nicole or Nympho Nicole, anything to try and get under Hamilton's skin and throw him off his game.

:) I like it!

Has a needle match ring to it!

Nasty, Naughty, Nympho Nicole for Seb's RB10! :up:

#27 Goron3

Goron3

• 4,450 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 19:45

He wears his heart on his sleeve, but once the visor is down, he's focused 100%. I find it odd that the OP said 'Nico is just getting on with it'; how do you know what he does in his spare time? Are you saying that Nico spends his time on the simulator whereas Lewis would rather, you know, be normal?

#28 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,268 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 19:52

He all but admitted as such in this interview with Brundle: http://www1.skysport...wis-hamilton-qa

Actually, although it seemed to affect him in 2011, I think his driving has been very mature this year, without any real slump in form or off weekends at all.

#29 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 20:13

He is what he is, it's all part of the package. You'll have to cope with it, just as Alonso fans with the Samurai stuff.  ;)

And I agree, I haven't seen any of it affect his racing this season, unless one wants to claim he would be three tenths faster with a perfect 'bubble'.

#30 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 20:23

Not on his driving IMO.

#31 SpartanChas

SpartanChas

• 910 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 20:24

I do feel sorry for the guy, saw him interviewed just after silverstone and he said he was very much in love and thinking of proposing, then Nicole broke up with him pretty soon after that.

Couple of days later he does a stunning lap to get pole at Nürburgring though, so I wouldn't think for a second it's having a negative impact on his driving.

#32 bauss

bauss

• 5,067 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 20:28

this is his twitter

https://twitter.com/LewisHamilton

you will think it was so bad the way folks are discussing it.

sure there is some personal stuff... and I can tell from Nicole's twitter too there is a bit of silly subliminal back and forth going on (Nicole is doing a lot of fans adore me retweeting)... its actually funny to see.

For me the problem will be when it affects his races... unlike 2011 it hasn't... even 2012 where he was a bit moody cos of contract talks etc...he still drove very well.

I'm pretty confident he is getting mature enough to either not let it bother him on track or channel it effectively... there has been nothing to criticize about his driving this year except that it took him time to adjust to the Merc.

His racing is fine... as long as that is the case, nothing to see here... his personal live is just like that of other celebs... a bit fascinating but shouldnt be taken serious, thats his personal life

#33 bauss

bauss

• 5,067 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 20:29

I do feel sorry for the guy, saw him interviewed just after silverstone and he said he was very much in love and thinking of proposing, then Nicole broke up with him pretty soon after that.

Couple of days later he does a stunning lap to get pole at Nürburgring though, so I wouldn't think for a second it's having a negative impact on his driving.

two pole positions and stunning laps in a row actually since they broke up

#34 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,401 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 20:33

two pole positions and stunning laps in a row actually since they broke up

Maybe it is speeding him up!

#35 SpartanChas

SpartanChas

• 910 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 20:38

She dumped him right after silverstone.

#36 spacekid

spacekid

• 3,143 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 20:42

Haven't seen any evidence so far this year, and don't expect to at Hungary.

Sometimes I wonder what happened with Lewis at McLaren in 2011, and if the same could happen at Merc, but I think that's a very separate set of issues.

I actually really feel for him here.

#37 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 20:45

She dumped him right after silverstone.

Then to go on with the conspiracy, Hamilton/Mercedes once again suddenly didn't know, how to manage tyres in Germany.:p So that's why Nicole was needed, then Lewis would be able to have a positive influence on tyre degradation!

#38 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,941 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 20:54

I thought on the day he signed for Mercedes, "give it half a season and he'll resort to same old Lewis." For all the talk before the season of expecting a year without a win, not being in title contention, blah di blah, you can tell he is getting increasingly frustrated with every race that passes. Rosberg is a lot closer to him, performance wise, than anyone expected, and has two wins more. Add in his "personal problems" and it is the shades of an infamous Hamilton breakdown.

As good as a racer as he may be (and even though I've never been his greatest supporter, I'll admit he is incredibly talented) he isn't nearly as mentally as strong as Vettel, Alonso, Kimi, Button or any other of the top guys are. The one good thing I'll say about Vettel is that he keeps his private life exactly that - private. He doesn't have a Twitter account and gives us his sob stories, because who frankly cares? I couldn't care less what any of the drivers get up to on their weekends off because I'm not some crazed fan boy desperate to get a Retweet.

The other thing I dislike about Lewis is that sometimes he seems more interested in being a celebrity than a racing driver. He needs to work out what he wants to do in life, whether he wants to be a celebrity rapper or whatever, or a racing driver, because clearly he can't put his full effort into both. And...I don't know. Just the way he comes across and some of the things he says makes me think he's not really a proper motorsport fan, unlike Webber or Button or whoever.

I just wish he'd stop being so sulky and miserable. He does one of the world's best jobs, a job millions would love to do. He gets paid loads in this time of global economic doom. And we're supposed to somehow feel sorry for him because he split up with his GF?

:rolleyes: Seriously, grow a pair dude.

#39 SpartanChas

SpartanChas

• 910 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 21:18

So just because he has a job most would kill for, he's not allowed to be heartbroken when the girl he's been in love with for the last five years suddenly finishes with him?

I know where you're coming from with it, but he's only human.

Advertisement

#40 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 21:43

tony stewart dumped some dead weight (turned out to be his gf), captured lightning in a bottle and won the title.

the reality is drivers dips in form (or rises) might be from stuff like this, but we just dont know.

#41 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 21:47

Then to go on with the conspiracy, Hamilton/Mercedes once again suddenly didn't know, how to manage tyres in Germany.:p So that's why Nicole was needed, then Lewis would be able to have a positive influence on tyre degradation!

Maybe anothe kind of rubber exploded in their personal relationship? :lol:

#42 P123

P123

• 23,879 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 21:53

:rolleyes: Seriously, grow a pair dude.

:lol: After what you just went to the effort to post, airing your angsty feelings towards Hamilton because of... well, whatever, that's quite an ironic statement for you to make!

#43 Coops3

Coops3

• 1,841 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 22:01

I doubt this will really have much of an affect on his race performances. To be honest I'm also skeptical that his 'breakdown' in 2011 did either. I know he was always talking about needing his bubble and what have you, but I reckon it's far more likely the car just didn't quite suit him as much as Jenson around that time.

#44 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 22:02

All this time I never knew being an Autosport member also gave me a free TMZ subscription. Sweet!

My god, people. There are trucks racing on dirt this week. On DIRT!!

;)

#45 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,941 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 22:02

So just because he has a job most would kill for, he's not allowed to be heartbroken when the girl he's been in love with for the last five years suddenly finishes with him?

I know where you're coming from with it, but he's only human.

He could at least make an attempt to look like he's actually happy to be at a race weekend. As it is, he normally looks like he'd rather be having complex dental surgery than be anywhere near a race track.

#46 g1n

g1n

• 894 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 00:04

He could at least make an attempt to look like he's actually happy to be at a race weekend. As it is, he normally looks like he'd rather be having complex dental surgery than be anywhere near a race track.

True, but then again he is performing. I think as fans we are in unique position to see a mighty racing driver doing his work as well as know what is happening in his outside life. This has not happened since what, 80's?
In a way we should be thankful for such access to a life of a very very good F1 driver, because such access is so very very rare.

#47 robefc

robefc

• 13,534 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:38

Most of the time when the media make a thing out of Lewis being unhappy it's because he doesn't look happy at getting pole (e.g. Korea 2011) or winning a race (e.g. monza last year).

Something went wrong with his focus for a period in 2011 but otherwise it doesn't seem to me that ups and downs in his personal life affect his mood.

On the other hand there appears to be a high correlation between Lewis tweeting personal stuff and some forumers getting their pretty pink panties in a twist over it.. :p

Also anyone following Marc cox on twitter needs to get on his back, the dude is not focused on being a mechanic at mclaren, he's busy laying down tracks on soundcloud :eek:

#48 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:03

More proof (if it were needed) that Lewis Hamilton is the most interesting person in F1. Personally I'm fed up with the whole Nicole saga and hoping that's the end of it, finally, but I haven't seen it affecting his racing. Even in 2011 I felt the stewards were more of an influence.

Roll on a new girlfriend, say I, then let's see how his racing goes - up, down, or the same. And obviously for the media that will be F1's answer to the Royal Baby :D .

#49 MinT

MinT

• 2,280 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:20

I doubt this will really have much of an affect on his race performances.

So you don't agree with the numerous "fans" who used this as a perfectly legitimate and 100% reasonable excuse for his poor performance against Button in 2011 ?

#50 P123

P123

• 23,879 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:39

So you don't agree with the numerous "fans" who used this as a perfectly legitimate and 100% reasonable excuse for his poor performance against Button in 2011 ?

No, that's because he was involved in too many prangs.