* * * * - 1 votes

The Right Environment and the Right Attitude

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 MarileneRiddle

MarileneRiddle

• 399 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 14:40

In a (not so) recent BBC interview Gary Anderson said Paul di Resta had the talent to win a WDC, but is unable to do so because of his attitude. This causes Di Resta to be unable to create a suitable environment around him to be consistently competitive.

Looking back at the WDCs from the last decade, it seems that the team's emotional support is very important to a driver competing for the WDC. But how much of this is due to natural charisma, or is it possible for a driver to 'change his attitude' and suddenly gain the support from the team?

There are quite a few examples of natural charisma: Jenson Button, who managed to turn McLaren into his team; Fernando Alonso, who instantly clicked with Ferrari; Michael Schumacher in his heyday, where everyone in Ferrari worked for his championship. There are others who are popular due to affiliation: Lewis Hamilton, when he first turned up in McLaren; Felipe Massa, ad the enduring loyalty on both sides; Sebastian Vettel, who was groomed by Red Bull.

But what about actual driver actions fuelling good sentiment? Sebastian is well known for fostering team spirit through random acts like preparing lunch and Lewis brings 'the boys' out for bowling. So is it possible for the likes of Di Resta to change his behaviour towards his team, and thereby win over the emotional support?

This is not a direct discussion on 'number 1 driver' or team favouritism, but more on how the drivers can endear themselves to the team more.

Advertisement

#2 Lights

Lights

• 17,874 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 14:54

But what about actual driver actions fuelling good sentiment? Sebastian is well known for fostering team spirit through random acts like preparing lunch and Lewis brings 'the boys' out for bowling. So is it possible for the likes of Di Resta to change his behaviour towards his team, and thereby win over the emotional support?

If anything, these acts are overrated and a drivers' attitude or behavior most likely isn't and shouldn't be based on them. Di Resta can invite his team for midget golf every Wednesday but if he's a bitch to work with it's not going help him.

#3 redreni

redreni

• 4,709 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 15:10

In a (not so) recent BBC interview Gary Anderson said Paul di Resta had the talent to win a WDC, but is unable to do so because of his attitude. This causes Di Resta to be unable to create a suitable environment around him to be consistently competitive.

Looking back at the WDCs from the last decade, it seems that the team's emotional support is very important to a driver competing for the WDC. But how much of this is due to natural charisma, or is it possible for a driver to 'change his attitude' and suddenly gain the support from the team?

There are quite a few examples of natural charisma: Jenson Button, who managed to turn McLaren into his team; Fernando Alonso, who instantly clicked with Ferrari; Michael Schumacher in his heyday, where everyone in Ferrari worked for his championship. There are others who are popular due to affiliation: Lewis Hamilton, when he first turned up in McLaren; Felipe Massa, ad the enduring loyalty on both sides; Sebastian Vettel, who was groomed by Red Bull.

This is not a direct discussion on 'number 1 driver' or team favouritism, but more on how the drivers can endear themselves to the team more.

A couple of years ago a mate and I went to the 24 hours of Spa, and after dinner in Spa (ville) on the Friday we went for a beer and found ourselves sitting amongst the Carlin F3 team (there was a British F3 race supporting the FIA GT and Spa 24). We got chatting to Rupert Svendsen-Cook and his dad, because they were sitting at a table on their own. We did not get chatting to Svendsen-Cook's teammate, James Calado, because he was sitting at one of about five tables that had been pushed together so that he and his race engineer and about 20-25 mechanics could sit together. Where were Svendsen-Cook's mechanics? We didn't like to ask, but evidently they either had better things to do than come out for a beer or they were sitting with Calado.

Two years on and Calado has just been to the F1 test at Silverstone, whereas Svendsen-Cook is competing in the Lamborghini Super Trofeo. I can't help thinking these things are not unrelated, because it's not as if Svendsen-Cook lacks ability (although he might have lacked the financial backing to progress, which is perhaps another factor not to be overlooked).

I've no idea what Di Resta's relationship with the race team is like, but if I were working on his side of the garage I would be very much annoyed that he is so keen to big himself up and deflect blame onto the team in public. The team do not criticise Di Resta publicly. I can't think it helps the relationship too much, and I imagine that's one factor that Anderson is picking up on. I imagine there are still people in that team who were there at the same time as Anderson, too, so perhaps his comments are also partly informed by conversations he's had with those people. So in my view there's probably something to the notion that Di Resta's attitude isn't the best.

Can he change his attitude? Of course! If his behaviour were to change, and he were to stop criticising the team in public, then I'm sure people's feelings towards him would change accordingly.

#4 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 15:35

Oh no, not this di Resta love-fest again. Preparing lunch and fostering team spirit is not what that wins you team confidence and championship. You drive fast. Teams would automatically like you. You drive top-notch fast. A top team will help you win the championship. All this lunch preparation stuff is overrated.

#5 MarileneRiddle

MarileneRiddle

• 399 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 15:49

Oh no, not this di Resta love-fest again. Preparing lunch and fostering team spirit is not what that wins you team confidence and championship. You drive fast. Teams would automatically like you. You drive top-notch fast. A top team will help you win the championship. All this lunch preparation stuff is overrated.

I am not sure where the love for Di Resta is coming from but it is definitely not on this thread...

I agree fast drivers inspires confidence. But that isn't the be all and end all. I think a good example is Button with McLaren. Button isn't faster than Hamilton, yet over the course of his 3 year partnership with McLaren he manage to quickly endear himself to the team, so much so that at time Hamilton felt like he was losing the 'emotional support' battle. That might have to do with his personal charisma (which some drivers just have) or he may have done things to make himself more involved (taking out the mechanics, visiting the factory during his personal free time, etc.)

I don't see why the 'lunch preparation stuff' is overrated. Sure, if two teammates are vastly different in talent then it wouldn't make a difference. But in a top team between two very closely matched teammates, it might just make the mechanics want to help you out more.

#6 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 15:52

SpaMaster, that is a crude simplification. Check out what happened to Ferrari's line up after 2009.

Edited by Atreiu, 24 July 2013 - 15:53.

#7 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 15:55

It has nothing to do with 1 act of going bowling. It is the season long interaction, in and out of the garage, on and off the track. Although it can be contrived by the driver, there are people persons who just do it naturally. Remember Webber complained that Vettel was emotionally favored by the team? It wasn't because he made them a sandwich I assure you. Michael wasn't bringing cookies to work each day, nor does Button's meal with his team do it for him. It is a culmination of things - read, done with sincerity.

#8 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 16:19

MarileneRiddle and Atrieu: Sure it makes a difference. But the way the OP was constructed it leads one to believe as if environment, 'fostering' and emotional support are the ones on which a championship is built. In many of those cases - Button/Hamilton and Alonso/Massa - it did not result in any championships. In Vettel's case, that is most certainly not the reason he has won three consecutive championships. With Schumacher too, the things that always come to my mind are talent, hard work and singe-minded desire. Sure it helps. Being a good human being and good team player always bring that extra virtue to you. But I don't believe emotional support and socializing as the ones that get you the championship. They can be nice addendums, that's all.

#9 SpartanChas

SpartanChas

• 910 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 20:54

Telling everyone that you're on the first train to a better team doesn't help. Dedication is probably a huge part of it. If I were a mechanic I'd lean more towards a driver who was committed to making the team achieve things and not going around telling everyone it's just somewhere to drive until something better comes along.

Edited by SpartanChas, 24 July 2013 - 20:55.

#10 intelligentsia

intelligentsia

• 2,407 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 22:00

SpaMaster, that is a crude simplification. Check out what happened to Ferrari's line up after 2009.

Kimi took his Ferrari mechanics out every now and again to play ice hockey, and that didn't help him much at Ferrari.

A lot depends on the team leader in charge, a driver could get along well with all of his mechanics and it properly helps to a small degree but whoever is in charge will decide if they actually want to support a driver or not. Mechanics are employed by the team, they deal with the team principle almost on a daily basis so they are going to listen to him/ her. Their actual dealings with drivers are sporadic and limited. Their day to day working environment will influence them much more then anything else.
Drivers in general are known to be diva-ish in general. Most of the WDC's all have complicated personalities. But they are good at their jobs and there isn't many top drivers available, so they can get away with more then average drivers. Some one like Di Resta has obviously not proved enough to get away with his behavior.

#11 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 4,536 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 23:14

Telling everyone that you're on the first train to a better team doesn't help. Dedication is probably a huge part of it. If I were a mechanic I'd lean more towards a driver who was committed to making the team achieve things and not going around telling everyone it's just somewhere to drive until something better comes along.

Perfect example would be Ayrton Senna at Lotus and McLaren.... Not to mention, Honda.

Senna's dedication was second to none, not even Schumacher could or match that intense dedication he had, IMO. Schumacher had more "people skills" than Senna.

Edited by George Costanza, 25 July 2013 - 00:46.

#12 AyrtonSauna

AyrtonSauna

• 469 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 23:29

Some drivers begin humble and then get arrogant with success.Others begin arrogant and become humble with success.
Di Resta fits the latter mold but like Spa master said he just needs to drive fast and not worry about all the nanny stuff!

Sport in general always needs a fair share of arrogant personalities that have little concern for the behavior police.

#13 Grundle

Grundle

• 1,309 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 23:30

Di Resta won a DTM title and beat Vettel in 2006, so he's obviously very talented. But its hard to like him when he's so negative. Seems like his attitude is reflected in his driving, bit uninspiring and conservative. He doesn't get the people going, as Will Ferrel would say.

#14 V3TT3L

V3TT3L

• 1,681 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 00:34

The guy is a motormouth.

'Vettel lucked to reach F1 before me.' closed doors at RedBull
His hard temper deny any chance at Ferrar #2 car.
Paul won't go to McLaren while Button is there. One Briton for now.

I recognize his mechanics failled with him, but if his guru keeps kicking his mechanics asses it won't help him at FIF1 too.

Schumacher also brought his Mercedes mechanics to his house at the summer break, but in the next race his wheel fell off after a pit stop.

#15 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:56

MarileneRiddle and Atrieu: Sure it makes a difference. But the way the OP was constructed it leads one to believe as if environment, 'fostering' and emotional support are the ones on which a championship is built. In many of those cases - Button/Hamilton and Alonso/Massa - it did not result in any championships. In Vettel's case, that is most certainly not the reason he has won three consecutive championships. With Schumacher too, the things that always come to my mind are talent, hard work and singe-minded desire. Sure it helps. Being a good human being and good team player always bring that extra virtue to you. But I don't believe emotional support and socializing as the ones that get you the championship. They can be nice addendums, that's all.

It really can make an appreciable diffrence tho.

#16 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:53

Schumacher also brought his Mercedes mechanics to his house at the summer break, but in the next race his wheel fell off after a pit stop.

And what did Schumacher say? More like every body makes mistake, we win as a team, we lose as a team. And if I remember correctly he said that there is no person more angry about what happened, than the guy who made the mistake.

F1 (or motorsport in general) is a team sport. Drivers are the most visible part of a team, but without the designers, engineers, mechanics, cooks etc. they woould not be driving those cars. Obviously being nice is not helping when you are slow and if you are super fast you can probably behave like a complete tool and would still find a seat, but in motorsport today it is hard to be so dominating among the drivers, that you can get away with not being a team player. Those soft skills have become more important in all fields of work, F1 is not different. If we look at diResta, I am not sure he is that much faster than Sutil, that he can afford to anger the team.

#17 redreni

redreni

• 4,709 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:03

Di Resta won a DTM title and beat Vettel in 2006, so he's obviously very talented. But its hard to like him when he's so negative. Seems like his attitude is reflected in his driving, bit uninspiring and conservative. He doesn't get the people going, as Will Ferrel would say.

I don‘t really see Di Resta‘s driving as negative. Force India‘s strategy can be viewed as negative inasmuch as they often get to Q3 then don‘t run, then drone round waiting for the cars ahead to run out of tyres. But that‘s a function of the stupid tyre rules - a team like Force India can‘t gain enough in Q3 to justify running. In the races, being dull and conservative is a positive thing because that‘s the way to get results. And he does normally get results unless there is rain or a safety car or any other variable which gives Force India a chance to cock up the strategy, which they invariably do.

#18 markeimas27

markeimas27

• 138 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:22

A good friend of mine works in the commercial dpt at FIF1. None of them like Di Resta. Think of it as a normal office. There is always some young upstart that winds everyone up. That is Paul.

When Adrian got back in the car in Barcelona in March - for the first time in over a year - he was immediately on the pace after 3 quick laps. My friend tells me that the team were ecstatic with this. Why? Because it is one in the eye for Paul. Obviously not working for the team, I don't know all the little nuances which have wound them all up, but it is safe to say that he is not liked.

P.s. he came to one my events in India a couple of years ago. He was a total douche. Nico H and Adrian were getting on really well, having a drink and chatting away. Paul was 'effectively' sitting in a corner on his 'own' (surround by management types - no friends.)

I just think he is a bit of a loner.

He is quick, but then so was Alesi. Alesi 100% had the talent to be a WC, but 1% had the right attitude.

#19 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 4,536 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 16:05

A good friend of mine works in the commercial dpt at FIF1. None of them like Di Resta. Think of it as a normal office. There is always some young upstart that winds everyone up. That is Paul.

When Adrian got back in the car in Barcelona in March - for the first time in over a year - he was immediately on the pace after 3 quick laps. My friend tells me that the team were ecstatic with this. Why? Because it is one in the eye for Paul. Obviously not working for the team, I don't know all the little nuances which have wound them all up, but it is safe to say that he is not liked.

P.s. he came to one my events in India a couple of years ago. He was a total douche. Nico H and Adrian were getting on really well, having a drink and chatting away. Paul was 'effectively' sitting in a corner on his 'own' (surround by management types - no friends.)

I just think he is a bit of a loner.

He is quick, but then so was Alesi. Alesi 100% had the talent to be a WC, but 1% had the right attitude.

Jean Alesi made some pretty bad moves in his career and his lack of technical skills did not help; but I am fairly certain he would have been the champion if he went to Williams in 1991.