Photo

Cervasina circuit, Pavia

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 13:18

Darren Galpin's track database mentions the proposed Cervasina circuit in Italy, which I eventually found, 2 km northwest of the small town of that name, close to the Po river. It shows every sign of being totally derelict and disused, and it doesn't much resemble the planned circuit. It's ambitious, too, with a 1 km main straight and three large Pitlane sheds. But the only access is down a single-lane dirt track, so it may never have held a race at all. The nearest reasonably sized town is Pavia, the nearest city is Milan. (Thank you Google Maps!)

I wonder if any TNFer knows what happened?

Advertisement

#2 alansart

alansart

• 4,420 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 15:05

This place?

It also has a link to a website (in Italian).

#3 Rob Semmeling

Rob Semmeling

• 913 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 15:08

Terry, what you found is not an old derelict circuit, but a new facility still under construction. It is called Circuito Tazio Nuvolari and due to open this summer.

The earlier proposal was apparently never realized.

#4 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:12

Ah! That accounts for why the blacktop is still so black. It appears to have a mixed construction: the long straight looks like concrete, the rest tarmacadam.

#5 BRG

BRG

• 25,941 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:08

I have reviewed the website. Who is this person Giorgio Traversa (amusingly translated by Google as George Cross - they deserve a medal for that)? How is he funding the construction? Isn't Italy in dire straits (not as dire as Spain, but still..) making cash for non-essential projects like this scarce?

I hope they plan to surface the farm tracks that seem to be the only access to the track. Despite the grand talk about GP2 and MotoGP, this looks like a clubman's track for local races and track days. It is close to Milan where Italy's few remaining euros are safely ensconced, so there may be a market.