Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Relevance of Coanda Side-Pods in 2014 & Beyond.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OO7

OO7

• 23,407 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 17:33

From 2014 the position of the single exhaust will mean the side pods can no longer be used to influence the flow of exhaust gases, certainly not in the manner we have become accustomed to in the last couple of years. However I wonder if the coanda side-pods still be beneficial by helping to encourage air over the side-pod towards the coke bottle region?

Advertisement

#2 ApexMouse

ApexMouse

• 909 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 17:39

There wouldnt be a high energy stream to direct the airflow towards thus no coanda effect.

#3 Cool Beans

Cool Beans

• 1,553 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 18:07

On a slightly related note I've been kind of wanting a team to really think outside the box and mount the radiators under the nose at the front and get rid of the sidepods altogether. Now that would be sexy.

#4 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,178 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 18:25

On a slightly related note I've been kind of wanting a team to really think outside the box and mount the radiators under the nose at the front and get rid of the sidepods altogether. Now that would be sexy.

The car wouldn't pass the side impact test.

#5 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,638 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 19:58

There will be no such test next year.

I think the car requires more cooling with more ERS, turbo and the smaller engine (less space to expel heat).

#6 Fangiola

Fangiola

• 316 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 20:06

What if there was no need for a side impact test. I heard rumours to the effect of it being scrapped. It might work then

http://www.f1-fansit...olished-by-fia/

http://www.gptoday.c...act_crash_test/

#7 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:10

What if there was no need for a side impact test. I heard rumours to the effect of it being scrapped. It might work then

But they will need to mount standarized side impact structure anyway

#8 Cool Beans

Cool Beans

• 1,553 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:52

The side impact structure is a thin tube on the front edge of the sidepod, I'm sure they could fashion it into a winglet or something.

#9 mgs315

mgs315

• 613 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:09

The side impact structure is a thin tube on the front edge of the sidepod, I'm sure they could fashion it into a winglet or something.

That all sounds good til it starts punching holes in other cars. You'd still need a decent sized floor on the car too.

#10 JaredS

JaredS

• 1,142 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 17:20

But correspondent Michael Schmidt reports that, having collaborated with world champions Red Bull, the FIA has now developed a standard side crash structure that must be fitted to every car from the 2014 season.

That's interesting! I don't mean in a sinister kind of way, rather just wondering if Red Bull assisted FIA in a standardised design or FIA specifically used Red Bull because they've noted Red Bull has made use of a design, technology or technique already that the FIA find impressive for both safety and practicality that they believe should be used across the board to save costs.

#11 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,513 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 17:26

That all sounds good til it starts punching holes in other cars. You'd still need a decent sized floor on the car too.

You could have a hoop, like a roll hoop on the side of the car containing the crash structure. Imagine the intake for the sidepod but with no sidepod behind it.

The crash structure is meant to deform, shatter, whatever in the even of a collision. It wouldn't be punching holes in anything anyway.

Edited by PayasYouRace, 26 July 2013 - 17:28.

#12 PerfectMan

PerfectMan

• 18 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 18:51

There will be no such test next year.

I think the car requires more cooling with more ERS, turbo and the smaller engine (less space to expel heat).

Smaller engine requires less cooling.

#13 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 11,798 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 19:29

That's interesting! I don't mean in a sinister kind of way, rather just wondering if Red Bull assisted FIA in a standardised design or FIA specifically used Red Bull because they've noted Red Bull has made use of a design, technology or technique already that the FIA find impressive for both safety and practicality that they believe should be used across the board to save costs.

The new structure is based on carbon fiber deforming in a progressive and controlled fashion. FIA knew who to turn to. :smoking:

#14 ApexMouse

ApexMouse

• 909 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 19:31

Smaller engine requires less cooling.

No No No No No.
2014 Power Units need more cooling than the current V8s' : Turbo's and high capacity battery packs.

#15 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 19:47

From 2014 the position of the single exhaust will mean the side pods can no longer be used to influence the flow of exhaust gases, certainly not in the manner we have become accustomed to in the last couple of years. However I wonder if the coanda side-pods still be beneficial by helping to encourage air over the side-pod towards the coke bottle region?

What are you talking about, cars will be a-symetric next year.

If you snooze you loose.

#16 OO7

OO7

• 23,407 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 19:49

What are you talking about, cars will be a-symetric next year.

If you snooze you loose.

:confused:

#17 Tiakumosan

Tiakumosan

• 1,293 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 23:22

I need pictures. :cry:

#18 OO7

OO7

• 23,407 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 00:47

I need pictures. :cry: