Photo

MGP/Classic TT - Who's Going?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Collins

Paul Collins

• 648 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 20:47

Only a month to go, any forum members planning to come over for this? my 500 will be getting a run out at the Jurby Festival on the middle weekend with Nigel Beattie onboard, we are busy prepping it now along with Nigel's RS250 on which he won the 2002 Lightweight MGP and he'll be doing the MGP past winners parade lap on that.

The 500 has been an ornament since I restored it about 8 years ago, but she's all ready to roll now, i'm really looking forward to it :)

Posted Image

Advertisement

#2 John33

John33

• 6 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 21:37

Paul is the 500 based on the NS400 road bike, looks familiar, sure Tony Head rode one similar in the TTF1 races. Good luck with the parade laps and the RS. Remember NB blasting everyone i 02, twas my first MGP and the bike was a cracker.

#3 Paul Collins

Paul Collins

• 648 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 22:29

Paul is the 500 based on the NS400 road bike, looks familiar, sure Tony Head rode one similar in the TTF1 races. Good luck with the parade laps and the RS. Remember NB blasting everyone i 02, twas my first MGP and the bike was a cracker.

It is Tony's old bike, I bought it from him in 1988, it was originally built by our much missed forum member Terry Shepherd RIP, for Tony to ride in the World F1 championship.

I was Nigel's spannerman from his newcomers year in 97 through to his win in 02, its been really nostalgic working together in the garage again in the evenings over the past couple of weeks getting the bikes ready again and Nigel even found an old 80's & 90's CD to put on the stereo just for special effects :)

Edited by Paul Collins, 25 July 2013 - 22:34.

#4 knickerbrook

knickerbrook

• 1,034 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 14:15

Hi Paul :wave:
Yep - I'll be there, along with fellow ex-racer Phil Landeg. We are only there for the Classic race week (from Wed 21st to Monday 26th). Phil has entered his 750 road/trackday Ducati for the Jurby day, but not sure if he has been accepted yet. Looking forward to what promises to be a cracking event. We are taking our roadbikes over in a van and have booked a "Homestay" in High View Road, Douglas.
Please look us up if you see us at Jurby. So anyone else going?

#5 Paul Collins

Paul Collins

• 648 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 21:45

Hi there, you're staying about half a mile down the road from my house then, i'm on the exit of Governors :)

I'll look you up at Jurby.

#6 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 17:48

[quote name='Paul Collins' date='Jul 25 2013, 23:29' post='6366559']
It is Tony's old bike, I bought it from him in 1988, it was originally built by our much missed forum member Terry Shepherd RIP, for Tony to ride in the World F1 championship.

Hi , Paul , nice to see a piccie of the Honda at last :up: , just back from Aberdare , where I met up with Barry , Phil Landeg, Mick Coombe from the forum + Chris Sykes , who also helped Tony Head , when I was involved with him , the first time Chris and I had met in 30 years !!!

I won't be over for the Manx -----------------to close to my own holidays , unfortunately , but Nigel Rollason is bringing over one of my tz's , for the laps of honour , plus Jerby :up:

#7 Paul Collins

Paul Collins

• 648 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 18:23

Shame you're missing it, i'm just hoping we wont have run out of sunshine by then, I am a bit concerned that we've used up the IOM's entire quota for the next few years recently!!

The photo is an original period shot from 1989 at Elvington, but she looks pretty much identical again now, I met Nigel Rollason at a Manx club dinner some years ago, very nice chap. hopefully i'll get to see them all at Jurby.

#8 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 18:31

, I met Nigel Rollason at a Manx club dinner some years ago, very nice chap. hopefully i'll get to see them all at Jurby.

tell him you've been asked to keep an eye on him ..............................................as I asked Barry and Phil :lol: :lol:

#9 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,678 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 15:09

A great weekend at Aberdare, my first ever visit. A big handful of respect to all the riders, you need some seriously large testicles to get around there quickly especially in the wet!

Met up with Phil, also Barry (Knickerbrook), Phil Landeg and Chris Sykes. Hats off to some of the quickest, Alex Sinclair, Joop Van de Pol and Jay Bellers-Smith were some of the fastest, the supermono maniacs also deserve a mention, bonkers!

Of the 'old-timers' Arthur Browning, Richard Peers-Jones and Bill Swallow were circulating at a fair old clip, respect !!

A 450 mile round trip for me but well worth it, a cracking weekend! I'll be back next year.

#10 Paul Collins

Paul Collins

• 648 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 19:31

Met up with Barry (Knickerbrook) and Phil Landeg for a pint in the Queens the other night and also Paul (PaulMar) who popped along to introduce himself at Jurby.

My 500 returned to action at Jurby with Nigel Beattie on board, it wasn't running properly due we think to some rust in the tank getting into the fuel system but it did a dozen or so laps and was a joy to watch.

I think the classic element of the event went off pretty well, i'm sure lessons have been learnt by the various groups who were working together for the first time but all in all it seemed pretty good.

One amusing incident yesterday, I went up to onto Glencrutchery road to help a mate who was doing one of the parade laps, as we sat under the trees with the bikes sheltering from the sun a couple of other riders started chatting to us in broken English as we passed the time waiting to be called forward to the start, later my mate said "hey that little foreign bloke with the dark hair and mustache who was chatting with us, was he someone famous?"

I smiled and said "you've never heard of Carlos Lavado then?" :lol:

#11 knickerbrook

knickerbrook

• 1,034 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 22:36

Yes, it was good to meet you Paul :up: .

Looked out for you at Jurby, but only caught a fleeting glimpse of you in the warming-up area. 

But what a fantastic week it was - absolutely amazing! Pretty much everyone judged it to be a huge success, but most agreed that the classifications within the races were far too complicated. Maybe they will look at that for next year. Bumped into Mick Robinson at Jurby too! 

#12 Paul Collins

Paul Collins

• 648 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 23:16

Yes it was great to catch up for a proper chat Barry, I looked out for you at Jurby, but as you no doubt experienced it wasn't easy to find anyone (they reckoned they had over 12000 people through the gates) so I didn't catch up with half the people I wanted to.

Hey Phil I never got chance to speak to Nigel Rollason, I spotted him briefly yesterday assembling for the parade lap but again it was so crowded I didn't get chance to say hi even though I was only 10 feet away from him, not that we could have had much of a chat above all those lovely un-silenced expansion chambers crackling around us :drunk:

Nige B is taking the 250 out for a parade lap tomorrow, so another dose of 2 strokes coming up!! :love:

#13 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:28

Thats OK , Paul , he's out today , riding #71 , again on my tz , in the past-winners lap , would love to see some piccies , from those lucky enough to be on the Island ........................bit difficult to take piccies if you are not there , I guess ......... :rolleyes:   ;)   :wave:

#14 Paul Collins

Paul Collins

• 648 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 14:59

Thats OK , Paul , he's out today , riding #71 , again on my tz , in the past-winners lap , would love to see some piccies , from those lucky enough to be on the Island ........................bit difficult to take piccies if you are not there , I guess ......... :rolleyes:   ;)   :wave:

I heard him mentioned out there today Phil and as far as I know got round ok.

Try Dave Kneen's site for photo's  http://www.manxphotosonline.com/

#15 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 20:15

I heard him mentioned out there today Phil and as far as I know got round ok.

Try Dave Kneen's site for photo's  http://www.manxphotosonline.com/

Yes , thanks for the link , Paul , a couple of decent shots of Nige on there , amongst the 100's of others ......................

Edited by fil2.8, 28 August 2013 - 20:16.

#16 PaulMar

PaulMar

• 36 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 22:23

Met up with Barry (Knickerbrook) and Phil Landeg for a pint in the Queens the other night and also Paul (PaulMar) who popped along to introduce himself at Jurby.

My 500 returned to action at Jurby with Nigel Beattie on board, it wasn't running properly due we think to some rust in the tank getting into the fuel system but it did a dozen or so laps and was a joy to watch.

I think the classic element of the event went off pretty well, i'm sure lessons have been learnt by the various groups who were working together for the first time but all in all it seemed pretty good.

One amusing incident yesterday, I went up to onto Glencrutchery road to help a mate who was doing one of the parade laps, as we sat under the trees with the bikes sheltering from the sun a couple of other riders started chatting to us in broken English as we passed the time waiting to be called forward to the start, later my mate said "hey that little foreign bloke with the dark hair and mustache who was chatting with us, was he someone famous?"

I smiled and said "you've never heard of Carlos Lavado then?" :lol:

Hi Paul

It was great to meet you at Jurby and thanks for taking the time to share a few 2 stroke memories despite having misfiring issues your "NS500R". I saw it do a few laps later in the day & it certainly looked and sounded well :clap: just a shame the fuel gremlins restricted the number of laps. :cry:  

Sorry I didn't manage to see you again before we left the Island, but it is amazing where the time goes when it isn't raining and everywhere you go is a minimum 38 mile round trip. If you are ever in the Manchester area with a few hours to spare please give me a call. 

I hope the next outing for your 500 is a gremlin free full day.

Edited by PaulMar, 29 August 2013 - 22:24.

#17 Paul Collins

Paul Collins

• 648 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 18:22

Hi Paul

It was great to meet you at Jurby and thanks for taking the time to share a few 2 stroke memories despite having misfiring issues your "NS500R". I saw it do a few laps later in the day & it certainly looked and sounded well :clap: just a shame the fuel gremlins restricted the number of laps. :cry:  

Sorry I didn't manage to see you again before we left the Island, but it is amazing where the time goes when it isn't raining and everywhere you go is a minimum 38 mile round trip. If you are ever in the Manchester area with a few hours to spare please give me a call. 

I hope the next outing for your 500 is a gremlin free full day.

Great to meet you too Paul, yes the gremlins continued and are probably due to nothing more than the time the bike has been standing idle, which is a good excuse to run it more often in future :)

I'll give you a shout the next time I pass through Manchester on my travels, I was there only a few weeks ago.

#18 Paul Collins

Paul Collins

• 648 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 18:53

I must be going daft, i'm sure I just read a post on here about todays cancelled Senior but its not showing now...............anyway....from what I understand it was a shortage of marshal's that ultimately caused the loss of the race, although the weather wasn't helping and was repeatedly defying Ronaldsway's forecasts we were about to enter pit lane to get the pits ready when we got the announcement which was a disappointment for everyone involved.

I think (and I haven't has chance to confirm this yet) that this was the situation facing the clerk of the course, although he had a road closing order up to 9pm today if required, he had to open the roads between 5 - 6pm to allow people to get home from work, so when he made the decision the mist and drizzle had come down again and he had to either start the race as planned or he wouldn't have got it in before the 5pm deadline to open the roads, at that point he had a major visibility problem on the mountain, I rang someone who was up there and they confirmed it had rolled in again.

Logically he should then have gone for a postponement until after the roads re-closed at 6pm, which looking out of the window now would have been a good call, however he would most probably have been short of sufficient marshal's by then as many would have been on this evenings sailings home, the clerk of the course would have known this from the chief marshal who would have already checked the availability of his guys & gals should there be a delay into the evening.

It's a pain for all concerned and getting enough marshal's is something that is increasingly becoming a problem at both the MGP & TT, i'm currently working with the marshal's association to try and put an incentive scheme together which will compliment their other recruitment efforts to hopefully encourage more people to get involved and more importantly to stay involved, in the case of my planned scheme it will reward their loyalty per session with a scheme which earns them points redeemable for goods and services including travel for their efforts.

Edited by Paul Collins, 30 August 2013 - 18:56.

#19 Paul Collins

Paul Collins

• 648 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 16:09

The Honda in action with Nigel Beattie aboard at Jurby, a great day was had by all  ;) BishopJurby.jpg

Advertisement

#20 PaulMar

PaulMar

• 36 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 23:20

I'll drink to that! In fact I already have, more than once.  Great machines, new friends, old friends from 30 years ago and what a "stinkwheel" triple. :eek:   :clap: