Photo

C-type Jag XKC023: another question about replicas of existing cars

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 HistoryBuff

HistoryBuff

• 116 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 23:28

I saw a lengthy story on the net about a Jaguar C-type race car that had been bodied, through a series of misadventures,with a Devin plastic body and some of the authentic parts got out onto C-type replicas

The story here: www.jcna.com/library/news/2002/jcna0076.html‎

one of which was one a very high quality replica built in England by Peter Jaye. Now when the eventual buyer/restorer of XKC023 bought the kit car and discovered what it was, he started rebuilding it as an XKC again and thankfully Peter Jaye sold him his replica so some of the original car's parts could be reunited with the original chassis. Now I don't know if Jaye's replica ran that chassis number for use on the road before the real one was found but isn't that a bit of a sticky wicket when a replica with a registered chassis has the same number as the real car? Will the owner of the real chassis have to go back to court to get "his" chassis number back? I am asking what'ts the opinion out there of a replica builder using a serial number for a re-created chassis if the general consensus is that the original was destroyed years ago?

Maybe some will say the only trouble is when the real one pops up.

Advertisement

#2 Perruqueporte

Perruqueporte

• 126 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:47

This may be of interest: http://gdknowledge.c...Discredited.pdf

From a personal perspective, I think that money and vanity/ego are at the root of all such arguments. I have had a facsimile of a C-Type for some years, which provides me with great pleasure (I shall be pedalling it uphill at Shelsley tomorrow) because it is the closest I shall ever come to experiencing the real thing. But it is only a facsimile, a replica if you will, and worth in monetary terms a fraction of what it would cost to acquire an original car with proveable provenance (another minefield!).

Christopher Wigdor