- - - - -

Driving the Porsche 917/10 Turbo Can-Am Spyder...on the street

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Magoo

Magoo

• 3,718 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 22:37

So your Ford Focus or Acura TSX or Mondeo diesel has tricky throttle response? Is that what's troubling you, Bunky?

Check out this video: Porsche 917/10 Twin Turbo, the ideal daily commuter vehicle.

Video: Driving a Porsche 917/10 Can-Am Racer -- On the Street! | Mac's Motor City Garage.com

Posted Image

Advertisement

#2 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

• 2,645 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 00:01

:eek: :clap: :clap:

That guy is just a regular hoon, giving it a thump as he passes the traffic :up:

Having said that, I would not be doing that, in that car, over here - I do not have that much trust in the SA of other drivers generally, nor their ability to (a) change lanes safely, and/or (b) signal their intent to change lanes. Glad it ended happily though.

Is it legal to ride in the back of a ute over there? Or just on special occasions?

Thanks for posting Mac

#3 mariner

mariner

• 2,334 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:43

Great video Magoo, thanks. Can't believe it happened in regulation- crazed California. Reminds me of the video of Jim Hall moving the 2F from his workshops to he Petroleum Museum in Midland Texas on the road.

Once you look at one video on YT you see so many others. This one is far from new but it is very rare to have video of a professional driver doing an all out qualifier run, lt alone with 1,100 bhp behind him.

Its Mark Blundell on the famous Nissan qualifier lap where he demolished the Le Mans lap record. Lovely to see the joy on the pit crews faces at the end, its not all straight faced cprporate clone stuff even now.

#4 desmo

desmo
  • Tech Forum Host

• 29,516 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 14:46

That lap by Blundell is hairy. Usually it's overtaking the backmarkers or darkness that make Le Mans in car video look scary, that whole lap looks on the edge.

Sorry for the digression.

#5 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 15:36

Not only constant steering corrections but taking one hand off the wheel to change gear! Just like the old days...

#6 gruntguru

gruntguru

• 7,642 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:17

So your Ford Focus or Acura TSX or Mondeo diesel has tricky throttle response? Is that what's troubling you, Bunky?

Check out this video: Porsche 917/10 Twin Turbo, the ideal daily commuter vehicle.

I could live with those driveability issues - for an hour or two.

#7 Dmitriy_Guller

Dmitriy_Guller

• 6,120 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:28

The blue balls from having to drive at the speed limit would be the limiting factor, I would think.

#8 gruntguru

gruntguru

• 7,642 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 22:55

No way our friend in the video stayed under the limit. I seem to recall some gear changes. He even managed to clear the plugs after several minutes.

#9 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,061 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:08

Poor thing was loading up worse and worse as the drive went on. That probably took a couple of meetings off the engine life.
I reckon an M8 McLaren would be more fun,,, and they are high vis too!