• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#1 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 20:03

Mark Hughes ‏@SportmphMark 37m
Rumour is, there just might be an announcement from Michelin next week about its interest in an F1 return...
8:25 PM - 27 Jul 13

https://twitter.com/...205705627283456

Advertisement

#2 peroa

peroa

• 10,779 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 20:04

So that's what Bernie and Todt talked about today.

#3 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 20:06

I thought they couldn't get ready in time and wanted competition.

#4 David Lightman

David Lightman

• 1,427 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 20:06

Totally new technical regulations AND new tyres would be ridiculous imo.

#5 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 20:07

Mark Hughes ‏@SportmphMark 37m
Rumour is, there just might be an announcement from Michelin next week about its interest in an F1 return...
8:25 PM - 27 Jul 13

https://twitter.com/...205705627283456

Yaye. It doesn't say 2014 though. Is a one-year deal possible with Pirelli? They said they are only interested in a multi-year deal? It may not be too late to step in though.

#6 peroa

peroa

• 10,779 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 20:09

Yaye. It doesn't say 2014 though. Is a one-year deal possible with Pirelli? They said they are only interested in a multi-year deal? It may not be too late to step in though.

It does.

Adam Cooper ‏@adamcooperf1 11m
My colleague Mark Hughes says Michelin could soon announce its interest in landing the 2014 F1 deal. Would make sense

Adam Cooper ‏@adamcooperf1 9m
Todt is close to Michelin but problem is Bernie is even closer to Pirelli and F1 Group earns huge $$$ from them. Will Michelin match that?

Adam Cooper ‏@adamcooperf1 6m
Having said that Pirelli has scored some massive own goals in recent weeks and momentum could be building for change

Edited by peroa, 27 July 2013 - 20:09.

#7 Tuxy

Tuxy

• 1,073 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 20:21

Ugh...

I hate tire wars. I hope this isn't true.

#8 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 20:27

Ugh...

That would be a disaster. I don't think the teams would want that either. Tires are paid for by the teams. If Michelin wants a multi-supplier setup, to hell with them, I'd rather stick with Pirelli in that case.

#9 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 21:03

May be too late.

#10 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,473 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 21:07

Ugh...

AFAIK it's not about creating a tyre war - it's about substituting Pirelli.

If so, I'm not against it  ;)

#11 mattferg

mattferg

• 847 posts

Pirelli already have plans to introduce new, much harder tyres for next year.

#12 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Why?

#13 BoschKurve

BoschKurve

• 1,525 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 21:23

A tire war wouldn't be the worst thing....would mean the end of this silly degradation crap Pirelli has been providing.

Edited by BoschKurve, 27 July 2013 - 21:23.

#14 TecnoRacing

TecnoRacing

• 1,796 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 21:24

Tire war would be the best thing for F1 at this point...
Sure it might produce lopsided results, but you know the tire development would be geared about 'total performance' rather than a contrived spectacle

#15 f1fastestlap

f1fastestlap

• 2,373 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 21:26

A tire war wouldn't be the worst thing....would mean the end of this silly degradation crap Pirelli has been providing.

You mean the FIA is demanding... :cool:

#16 Frankbullitt

Frankbullitt

• 3,120 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 21:27

I know that McLaren and Ferrari wanted Michelin after Bridgestone left, would be interesting to see how this goes.

#17 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 21:30

If we only have one tyre, it doesn't matter who makes them. Pirelli can make tyres that last the entire race no problem, they're not amateurs. They're not doing so because F1 wants the current situation. As long as that doesn't change, who cares if the tyres have a blue or yellow logo pasted on them. :confused:

What makes this interesting, though, is that Michelin has previously always said it would only return if there was competition. Competition is very welcome indeed. A cautiously good sign? We'll have to wait and see. :up:

#18 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,548 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 21:32

Probably won't make much difference should they replace Pirelli. They seem to be leaving it rather late to sort out next year's tyres however, just like the tyre contract last time around.

#19 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,473 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 21:32

I know that McLaren and Ferrari wanted Michelin after Bridgestone left, would be interesting to see how this goes.

I don't think they're the only ones by now. One interesting thing is that -from what I've read- Pirelli wanted every team to pay them quite a few bucks from now on, probably thinking they had a monopoly position. Michelin might give the teams an interesting alternative financially.

Advertisement

#20 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 21:37

But Pirelli buys a lot of trackside advertising so it evens out.

#21 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,473 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 21:49

But Pirelli buys a lot of trackside advertising so it evens out.

I think the teams will have a good look at what's been concluded about Concorde today about those kind of things :)

#22 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

I don't think they're the only ones by now. One interesting thing is that -from what I've read- Pirelli wanted every team to pay them quite a few bucks from now on, probably thinking they had a monopoly position. Michelin might give the teams an interesting alternative financially.

Huh? You mean more than the 3M EUR/ season they are paying now?

Edited by Szoelloe, 27 July 2013 - 21:49.

#23 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,473 posts

Huh? You mean more than the 3M EUR/ season they are paying now?

Yes.

#24 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 21:51

Yes.

Well, they are not worth it.

#25 chrcol

chrcol

• 3,554 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 21:53

Sure it might produce lopsided results, but you know the tire development would be geared about 'total performance' rather than a contrived spectacle

agreed.

#26 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 22:01

Not going to happen. It would cost too much for everyone. There is a considerable cost increase next season, you tell any of the tems that's going to increase further, and they won't even laugh, just turn their backs.

I wouldn't like any lopsided results either. Three seasons was enough already.

Edited by Szoelloe, 27 July 2013 - 22:02.

#27 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 22:34

Despite everything that's gone on i'm quiet happy with what Pirelli have provided, in very difficult circumstances not of their doing. However that being said, i'm curious what Michelin would bring but if i remember correctly they wanted to continue the Bridgestone rock hard type of tyre when back in 2010 when the contract was up for grabs then. If that's still the case i'd sooner have Pirelli to be honest.

#28 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,250 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 22:37

:up:

A tyre war is just a means to an end, however. That end is to return to performance tyres rather than those engineered deliberately to be complete rubbish. That can be achieved with a control tyre, but requires the FIA to take it's head out of it's backside (so don't hold your breath).

Edited by Disgrace, 27 July 2013 - 22:38.

#29 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,906 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 22:44

Exactly. I'd take a hundred 2004 seasons over the sport's current contrivance. Just like i'd take a hundred dull UFC fights over watching WWE.

#30 mattferg

mattferg

• 847 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 22:45

I think a tyre war is probably the one thing that tyres could do that would irritate people more than the current spec. If one manufacturer builds a dog of a tyre, it basically rules out any team that uses them from the championship.

Remember 2005 people? Ferrari had a free 1-2 in the form of Indy '05 and STILL only came third. A tyre war is A TERRIBLE IDEA.

#31 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,906 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 22:48

I think a tyre war is probably the one thing that tyres could do that would irritate people more than the current spec. If one manufacturer builds a dog of a tyre, it basically rules out any team that uses them from the championship.

Remember 2005 people? Ferrari had a free 1-2 in the form of Indy '05 and STILL only came third. A tyre war is A TERRIBLE IDEA.

Boo-hoo. Wouldn't that just be truly abominable, to have losers as well as winners.

#32 GS1

GS1

• 34 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 22:49

I would love a tire war-good for f1 spectacle

#33 F1Gui

F1Gui

• 287 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 22:50

it would work under certain circumstances. Such as forcing teams to run both companies tyres at each GP.

#34 mattferg

mattferg

• 847 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 22:56

Boo-hoo. Wouldn't that just be truly abominable, to have losers as well as winners.

Nahh, wouldn't it be truly abominable, to have a car that has the fastest driver, the best design, best engine etc... to be let down because they chose a tyre manufacturer who messed up with something out of their control?

Isn't that basically what people have been complaining about all year, about these Pirelli tyres, that no one can push and show their true potential?

#35 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,548 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 22:58

I would love a tire war-good for f1 spectacle

The last thing a tyre war would be good for is the show.

#36 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 23:05

Tyre wars are UNnecessary, expensive and ultimately pointless. You get two championships within a championship with tyre wars depending on who's on the better tyre. Control tyres are fine IMHO, the same for everybody and gives us a better chance to see who is the best team/driver combo. I don't get how a tyre war would improve the spectacle either, surely it'd have a negative effect on it.

Edited by olliek88, 28 July 2013 - 08:07.

#37 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,906 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 23:12

Nahh, wouldn't it be truly abominable, to have a car that has the fastest driver, the best design, best engine etc... to be let down because they chose a tyre manufacturer who messed up with something out of their control?

Isn't that basically what people have been complaining about all year, about these Pirelli tyres, that no one can push and show their true potential?

F1 is a competition, or so I thought, not some free-for-all. Why this mustn't apply to tyre marques I have no idea.

And no, people are complaining because the drivers can't even drive fast on them, whereas you can still show your potential in a bad car/a car with bad tyres.

#38 BlackCat

BlackCat

• 945 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 00:20

i would love tire war - but only without pre-season deals. every GP, on 1st free practice every team can try out what both providers have to offer and then decide which ones to use/buy for the race.

#39 g1n

g1n

• 894 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 00:22

i would love tire war - but only without pre-season deals. every GP, on 1st free practice every team can try out what both providers have to offer and then decide which ones to use/buy for the race.

yes, and that would never ever ever ever happen.

Advertisement

#40 baddog

baddog

• 29,695 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 00:27

As opposed to now, where the only difference is that they dont get to choose?

#41 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 4,536 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 00:28

Why can't Goodyear return....

#42 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 10,989 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:18

I hope Pirelli stays the sole supplier for F1 for as long as possible. They made F1 more exciting. I would hate to see the Bridgestone era back with snorefest races thanks to very litle tyre deg.

#43 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,250 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:02

Why can't Goodyear return....

Amusingly, who the tyre manufacturer actually is is probably the least relevant point. The tyres fulfil the will of the FIA; that in itself chooses which manufacturer is willing to partake. If Michelin have indeed declared interest, perhaps the will of the FIA has changed.

Edited by Disgrace, 28 July 2013 - 02:03.

#44 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 2,129 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:11

How about having more than one supplier? Oh yes, silly me, this is F1........ Not going to happen.

#45 Eff One 2002

Eff One 2002

• 1,132 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:21

I hope Pirelli stays the sole supplier for F1 for as long as possible. They made F1 more exciting. I would hate to see the Bridgestone era back with snorefest races thanks to very litle tyre deg.

So your definition of exciting is watching drivers have to cruise around at 7 tenths and not be able to push as hard as they can?

#46 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:02

If there is one thing that should never return to F1, that is tyre war. I have no problem with Michelin being the tyre supplier. But I don't want one set of teams getting better tyres than another. Tyres should be the same for everyone and the cars should be the only ones making the difference.

BTW Michelin tyres would be no different to Pirelli's if the diktat the get from FIA and FOM is the same. Pirelli is not to blame for the present tyre situation, FIA, FOM and teams are.

#47 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 5,726 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:41

Great idea when most teams are struggling for finance, just double the cost of tyres for everyone :eek:

#48 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:53

If there is one thing that should never return to F1, that is tyre war. I have no problem with Michelin being the tyre supplier. But I don't want one set of teams getting better tyres than another. Tyres should be the same for everyone and the cars should be the only ones making the difference.

BTW Michelin tyres would be no different to Pirelli's if the diktat the get from FIA and FOM is the same. Pirelli is not to blame for the present tyre situation, FIA, FOM and teams are.

this. Pirelli is capable of producing fast tyre that last for whole race, but the mentioned above don't allow for that cause they wish for some entertainment

#49 crbassassin

crbassassin

• 441 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:57

Tire war please, I hate spec tires.

#50 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:18

I think Michelin will still make tyres that require 2 stops in a race, but what they will do that perhaps Pirelli hasn't either realised or can't is change how the tyre works. Currently the Pirelli tyres lose their grip by literally wearing down... this leaves massive marbles everywhere but the precise racing line.

The tyres made by Bridgestone 'wore' out chemically, meaning that the chemical reaction between the rubber and the tarmac faded away as the tyre was used and abused. This also meant less marbles off line, less likelihood of safety concerns with tyres wearing down to the canvas (for example look at how much abuse Lewis Hamilton put his Bridgestones through in China 2007 to get them down to the canvas compared to say one or two locked wheels on Pirelli tyres now), and ultimately a tyre that the driver was in control of regarding it's life. Jenson Button got his reputation for being good on his tyres in that era, where actually on Pirelli tyres he hasn't been able to do the same things, as the tyre's life is finite and almost totally dependant on the car.

I believe that Michelin can recreate that Bridgestone technology but with softer compounds that would require more pit stops. Pirelli have introduced more problems than they necessarily needed to by changing how the tyres wear out... of course that may not be really their fault, Bridgestone invested heavily in the technology on their F1 tyres and Pirelli probably couldn't justify the same investment.