* * * - - 19 votes

Horrible 2014 sound [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3996 replies to this topic

#1 jesee

jesee

• 1,906 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 23:36

Sorry if this has already been posted somewhere, but have you heard how the 2014 engine will sound? Ghosh, i don't know whether attending races will be as much fun as it has been. What have they done to formula one :mad: Listen here....

Edited by jesee, 27 July 2013 - 23:36.

Advertisement

#2 alan

alan

• 174 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 23:41

Sounds worse than GP2. Bernie needs to go ASAP.

#3 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 23:56

Sorry if this has already been posted somewhere, but have you heard how the 2014 engine will sound? Ghosh, i don't know whether attending races will be as much fun as it has been. What have they done to formula one :mad: Listen here....

Sounds like what Mickey Mouse car would sound like if he raced in F1

#4 R Soul

R Soul

• 1,639 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 00:03

It does sound quite flat. I'd prefer it if they removed the rev limit.

Why? Ecclestone's not in favour of the 2014 engines.

#5 g1n

g1n

• 894 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 00:04

I also found this: <---ok this is not actually real!

yeah it sounds like a leaf blower :(

But then again we have not heard it run in anger nor have we heard the exact spec of the engine that will be on the grid in Melbourne in 2014, so lets hope......:/

Edited by g1n, 28 July 2013 - 11:03.

#6 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,546 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 00:05

Patience is not a dirty word. Wait until you actually hear them before passing judgement.

#7 RedOne

RedOne

• 2,449 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 00:09

My washing machine sounds better, what was that!

#8 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 4,529 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 00:24

Patience is not a dirty word. Wait until you actually hear them before passing judgement.

Well I agree, but it won't sound like the 1995 Ferrari 412 V12.

#9 LoudHoward

LoudHoward

• 2,014 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 00:35

I also found this:

But then again we have not heard it run in anger nor have we heard the exact spec of the engine that will be on the grid in Melbourne in 2014, so lets hope......:/

I hope that is a fake.

#10 Rubens Hakkamacher

Rubens Hakkamacher

• 1,567 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 00:37

One sounds exciting, aggressive and exotic, like no other race car engine, let alone another car......

The other one sounds like a Hoover.

#11 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 3,317 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 00:42

Stop whining. Renault didnt show the real sound of its future engine and many people including Topgear heard the real Merc V6 engine and said it's sound much better than that.

#12 Eff One 2002

Eff One 2002

• 1,132 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 00:47

Utterly shitful sound. I echo the sentiments of what old matey on that YouTube page is saying. F1 is well and truly headed in very much the wrong direction and it needs to be realised and addressed. These 1.6 litre leaf-blowers are another nail in the coffin for F1.

#13 morrino

morrino

• 240 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 00:48

The sound in that video is from a V10. The actual V8s sound much worse and i'm glad they're going to be replaced.

#14 alfa1

alfa1

• 1,997 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 00:59

Sorry if this has already been posted somewhere...

Renault 2014 Engine thread already has it.

#15 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:10

I also found this:

Uhm. You really think Red Bull ran the 2014 engine, in public, August 2012?

#16 drag

drag

• 162 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:15

I also found this:

oh come on this is soo fake :D

#17 CSquared

CSquared

• 674 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:04

oh come on this is soo fake :D

Many of the comments say it's a recording of a Trabant. Yeah, I read YouTube comments so you wouldn't have to. You owe me.

#18 HP

HP

• 19,631 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:22

I don't think it will be that bad, that was horrible sound engineering in that clip, and let's face it MP3 sound, is horrible by default. So let's wait.

#19 loki

loki

• 12,038 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:51

Renault Sport released a clip a month or so ago.

http://www.renaultsp...30.html?lang=fr

Renault's Rob White had this to say..

I am sure some people will be nostalgic for the sound of engines from previous eras, including the preceding V8, but the sound of the new generation Power Units is just different. It’s like asking whether you like Motorhead or AC/DC. Ultimately it is a matter of personal taste. Both in concert are still pretty loud.

Advertisement

#20 Eff One 2002

Eff One 2002

• 1,132 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:14

The sound in that video is from a V10. The actual V8s sound much worse and i'm glad they're going to be replaced.

If that's true it's one more reason why F1 should go back to V10s, or have a mix of V12, V10 and V8 just like the good ol' days.

#21 teejay

teejay

• 6,129 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:14

F1 cars sounded pretty good in the mid 80's if you ask me.

#22 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,465 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:40

:yawnface:

There have been a few other threads about this like this one http://forums.autosp...w...0&start=240 and this one http://forums.autosp...w...nault&st=40

#23 SPBHM

SPBHM

• 1,068 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:53

if sound is all you care about we should go back to early 90s engines, or 70s, whatever... way better than the current engine sounds imo.

I'm glad they are finally changing the engines, the current 2006 engines running at lower RPM, which are not that different from the older v10s without 2 cylinders already had their time.

#24 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:01

It does sound quite flat. I'd prefer it if they removed the rev limit.

Why? Ecclestone's not in favour of the 2014 engines.

Turbo engines can't rev as high, and their power band means that you don't need top revs to get all the useful power out of it.

#25 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:13

kinda sounds like the engine has a sore throat.

#26 jee

jee

• 1,285 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:59

F1 is about racing, not sound, no?

Turbo engines can't rev as high, and their power band means that you don't need top revs to get all the useful power out of it.

Then, why a rev limit?

#27 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:41

Then, why a rev limit?

So manufacturers don't spend even more money creating super expensive technology that allows them to run higher revs. A limit is just like any other regulation... you make the best equipment to those rules.

#28 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,304 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:46

I remember people complaining that the V8's would sound horrible when introduced in 2006. They sounded all right when being live at the circuit. So let's wait and see them live in action before judging these new engines.

#29 anbeck

anbeck

• 2,677 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:47

Hahahaha, so funny!

#30 Blackmore

Blackmore

• 152 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:06

I remember people complaining that the V8's would sound horrible when introduced in 2006. They sounded all right when being live at the circuit. So let's wait and see them live in action before judging these new engines.

The V8s sound similar to the V10s in the howling/screaming area. The V6's sound like muted horse farts.No howling, no screaming, just muted farts. Even when listening to the dyno sound of the V6 and V8 side by side, some people like you are in denial.

F1 is also about the sound, it should sound like no other formula in motorsport, something special which the V8s still are. The V6 sounds nothing special, nothing fast, nothing loud, nothing different. It sounds like a lower formula for rookies with the V6.

And here a prime example of what I was talking about in the Bernie thread (people blaming Bernie for things he has nothing to do with or is against). Bernie has been against the V6s since the beginning, yet he is blamed for it. Blame the FIA and the teams accepting this, like so many things they are responsible for in current F1.

#31 BillyWhizz

BillyWhizz

• 849 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:08

I also found this:

You didn't fall for that one did you? So clearly faked!

#32 g1n

g1n

• 894 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:11

You didn't fall for that one did you? So clearly faked!

I did :( :rotfl:

#33 2ms

2ms

• 2,212 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:12

Hate to see Bernie leaving. Feel like he's the only one around protecting F1 from the Political Correctness Police. Sounds like a moaning zombie with gas.

Edited by 2ms, 28 July 2013 - 10:13.

#34 2ms

2ms

• 2,212 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:19

Sounds worse than a Champ car. F1 was the best, now it's wannabe Champ car from 10 years ago.

#35 muramasa

muramasa

• 8,479 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:41

In that recording, the low frequency is cut or omitted completely. That's why it sounds ****.

Also on TV in general, F3 or any lower class touring cars sound ****, but when you see live they sound awesome. Havent anyone here seen any motorsport vehicle live? Whatever vehicle, they sound awesome live. it's mostly down to recording or mic setting for broadcasting that those except F1 sound **** on TV.

Current trend of recording is to cut and supress lower frequency sound massviely, and that's hurting motorsports badly.

Edited by muramasa, 28 July 2013 - 10:42.

#36 P123

P123

• 23,842 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:47

In that recording, the low frequency is cut or omitted completely. That's why it sounds ****.

Also on TV in general, F3 or any lower class touring cars sound ****, but when you see live they sound awesome. Havent anyone here seen any motorsport vehicle live? Whatever vehicle, they sound awesome live. it's mostly down to recording or mic setting for broadcasting that those except F1 sound **** on TV.

Current trend of recording is to cut and supress lower frequency sound massviely, and that's hurting motorsports badly.

I agree. The engine sounds are somewhat neutered for TV (especially the onboard footage). I think only those at the tracks will notice a huge difference next season.

#37 mattferg

mattferg

• 847 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:51

A huge percentage of the engine sound is decided by the exhaust system. You can't tell what the engine'll really sound like until it's in a car.

#38 mattferg

mattferg

• 847 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:53

I also found this:

2 reasons why that's definitely not a 2014 car/engine:

1. It has two exhausts, the 2014 spec has 1.
2. A man is starting the car manually. The 2014 cars/engines have starter motors.

#39 ANF

ANF

• 29,055 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:01

Renault Sport released a clip a month or so ago.

http://www.renaultsp...30.html?lang=fr

Renault's Rob White had this to say..

That sounds ten times better than the transcoded and distorted clip on Youtube.

Advertisement

#40 Burai

Burai

• 1,894 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:09

Every time I go to see racing live I'm blown away by how much of the sound is suppressed by the TV. Every time I see something new I'm shocked by how much noise they put out. The BTCC was a real eye opener the first time I went to see it and I had to get my daughter some earplugs because it was so loud.

Recently I went to see the Blancpain Endurance Series at Silverstone and I couldn't believe the screaming noise the AutoGP cars were pumping out. doesn't even remotely do them justice. And as for the GT3s... Every make sounded completely different. You could close your eyes and pick out exactly what car was passing. On TV they sound like a uniform drone. And if anyone here hasn't heard the BMW Z4 GT3 live, running in anger, you've deprived yourself of one of the most fearsome noises a motor car has ever produced.

#41 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,764 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:18

I've seen F3 live and I nearly drifted off asleep. Awful awful awful

#42 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:20

Every time I go to see racing live I'm blown away by how much of the sound is suppressed by the TV. Every time I see something new I'm shocked by how much noise they put out. The BTCC was a real eye opener the first time I went to see it and I had to get my daughter some earplugs because it was so loud.

Recently I went to see the Blancpain Endurance Series at Silverstone and I couldn't believe the screaming noise the AutoGP cars were pumping out. doesn't even remotely do them justice. And as for the GT3s... Every make sounded completely different. You could close your eyes and pick out exactly what car was passing. On TV they sound like a uniform drone. And if anyone here hasn't heard the BMW Z4 GT3 live, running in anger, you've deprived yourself of one of the most fearsome noises a motor car has ever produced.

I was amazed by MotoGP in person. Hondas and Yamahas sounded about the same, but with very very different shift noises. The Suzuki sounded F1-ish and hurt your ears, the Ducati made your ribs feel funny.

#43 dav115

dav115

• 747 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:21

Agreed. For sound at a GP weekend nothing comes close to GP2 and Porsche Supercup imo, and I include F1 in that.

Edited by dav115, 28 July 2013 - 11:25.

#44 muramasa

muramasa

• 8,479 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:44

really?
i've seen F3 live and they are awesome to me.
On TV you can barely hear their exhaust noise, that's really hurting the excitement.

#45 Jamiednm

Jamiednm

• 2,546 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 16:33

As someone previously said, until the engine is put in to the chassis and you can hear it integrated with the bodywork, exhaust system and gearbox, we wont know what it will sound like.

If they have more of a classic V6 racing sound (flatter tone, more of a growl), then I expect F1's TV sound engineers will adjust their systems to emphasize the sound. While the pure engine sound comes across quite well on broadcasts, TV misses a lot of peripheral sounds of racing cars as others have said. In person, you pick up quite a lot of bizarre gear change and exhaust 'pops' and 'growls' which TV just doesn't pick up. When the safety car is out, you can barely hear the SLS AMG. I recently watched GT3 in person and the SLS sounded magnificent and at Spa last year, it sounded brilliant when doing medical laps before F1 sessions. I'm sure TV will optimize whatever sound the 2014 powertrains make. What it sounds like live, in person remains to be seen, but I would be VERY surprised if F1 doesn't still have a distinctive, super aggressive sound like it currently has relative to any other racing series.

Edited by Jamiednm, 29 July 2013 - 16:36.

#46 Nick Planas

Nick Planas

• 349 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 22:14

Having been an F1 fan since 1966, I would urge everyone to wait until you hear AND see the cars live before passing judgement. There is something about today's very high revving engines that I find a little... disappointing - to me the cars look too slow for the high whining sound they generate... don't get me wrong, I lurve the raw power given off by these things, but I also remember fondly e.g. the 1980's with the lower revving turbos which had a more subtle rawness to them. Before them, the dear old Cosworth DFV and its contemporaries, the Ferrari, BRM and Matra V12s all gave me goosebumps. All of these F1 engines were/are ear-splittingly loud and thunderous in their own way. Anything that generates the sort of power output we are talking about is going to impress, but the visual aspect is important too. I can remember the fuss when turbos first came out - the Renault of 1977 looked and sounded pretty un-F1 to us, but it wasn't very long before its true power became obvious and then suddenly it was "real" F1

I was at Silverstone last week having popped in briefly while passing, to see a bit of the Young Driver Test. I ended up in one of the team pits as a result of a massive favour by a young friend of mine, but before that I was out at the new start & finish straight in front of The Wing. I would hear these screaming engines approaching and expected to see huge velocity out of Club corner and then... hmmm, just didn't look fast enough. Had they been lower revving I think they would have looked faster - bizarre observation but I suspect older F1 fans will understand what I mean.

F1 has changed so much and so often over the years, and surely we all have our favourite "pure" F1 memories, dependant on when we started to take an interest, but we really should be a little more forgiving in advance - wait and see (& hear).

#47 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 22:29

To me it sounds like the V8 was taken from a tv broadcast or something, while the V6 sounds like it's on a testing rig. IMO it should have a nice noise once it's actually in a car.

#48 BRG

BRG

• 25,883 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:10

The only horrible 2014 sound that I want to hear is Bernie banging his prison cell bars and screaming 'Let me out, I'm losing money in here'

#49 Abranet

Abranet

• 287 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:22

Another thread criticising a sound no one has actually heard properly in anger.........

#50 ApexMouse

ApexMouse

• 909 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 16:09

The only horrible 2014 sound that I want to hear is Bernie banging his prison cell bars and screaming 'Let me out, I'm losing money in here'

:up: :lol: