* * * - - 18 votes

Horrible 2014 sound [merged]

• Please log in to reply
3331 replies to this topic

#51 muramasa

muramasa

• 2,992 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 16:30

Current indycar engine shud give good preview of what 14 engine will sound like. They sound utterly underwhelming on broadcasting, but I'm pretty sure they are awesome live. Should give nice, loud bass that punch through your stomach and shake your body, but unfortunately TV's sound setting is completely ruining it.

Advertisement

#52 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 4,431 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 16:35

I could care less about the sound, it's the technology that interests me.
I'll be glad to see the back of these standardised engines.

Edited by senna da silva, 30 July 2013 - 16:35.

#53 brad_d

brad_d

• 141 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 17:14

Current indycar engine shud give good preview of what 14 engine will sound like. They sound utterly underwhelming on broadcasting, but I'm pretty sure they are awesome live. Should give nice, loud bass that punch through your stomach and shake your body, but unfortunately TV's sound setting is completely ruining it.

2013 Indycar engines are nice in person, but surprisingly muted - they're really not that loud, as racing engines go.

Current Indy Lights engines (non-turbo), though, are absolute screamers - much louder than their "big brothers." On TV the Lights cars sound like go-karts, but in person they're pretty fearsome. I was really surprised by the difference.

#54 Rubens Hakkamacher

Rubens Hakkamacher

• 1,567 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 17:37

The V8's *don't* sound as impressive as the V10s. We lost some revs and some displacement. Fairly subtle, but discernible at a distance, which is the important part.

The V10's whole sound, volume and character, was perfect. There was no doubt. The V8's, less so.

But what is coming in 2014 is drastic. You can't have less displacement, 1/3rd of the noise making energy taken away (fuel), a turbo stuck in the exhaust pipe, and "more typical of other racing series", 10,000-12,000 rpm and it sound "as impressive" as what we have today.

It's impossible. It's also less entertaining. Yes, there is the racing; but then, you could say that about NASCAR, couldn't you?

Agreed. For sound at a GP weekend nothing comes close to GP2 and Porsche Supercup imo, and I include F1 in that.

Disagree completely. I remember sitting across from the garages at Indy during the Supercup race, and thinking "these cars sound nice", quite loud, a "car race".
Then, an F1 car fires up in a garage and you realize, "THAT is impressive". You no longer even hear the Supercup frakking Porsche race cars at full throttle down the straight, you hear the F1 car revving through a warmup sequence, that's all, it drowns them out. One car in the garage.

That is very, very cool, very, very impressive, and very, very entertaining to me

Thrilling, surreal. What I PAY FOR. It's mind blowing to me that "car people" don't find that insanely attractive as part of the gestalt of the sport.

#55 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 4,431 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 19:56

Isn't it a little sophomoric to say louder is better?
As a guitarist I can unequivocally say that tone is far more important than volume.

#56 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 4,794 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 20:15

Indycars are revving slower, to some 11500 or so I remember?

I heard them at Milwaukee and was pleasantly surprised that they sounded racy but (at least for me) no longer headspitting loud like the old V8s. But still: racy.
Assuming that compared with the Indycars the F1s will have a higher pitch because of revving up to 15000 rpm, it could well be a promising sound as long as you're not overhyped on the fact that an engine first needs to be loud and screaming and nothing else matters.

But I fear that if 8 speed gearboxes are mandatory that the new engines are only being used in a small revv area again, like the are now.
I would have loved to see them more longstroke character, thus more torquey and useful over an extended rpm range that made 5 or 6 gears sufficient. hear the engines Climbing through an extended rev range again.
But those days are gone....

Henri

#57 quasi C

quasi C

• 2,018 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 20:26

There's a massive difference between an F1 car sound and all the support races. When you first hear an F1 fire up in the pitlane you know it's time for the sideshow to make itself scarce and let the big guns take to the track. It's no disrespect to the other series' but that's the way it should be. Watching an F1 race live should feel special. I hope this will continue into next year and beyond.

#58 GodHimself

GodHimself

• 206 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 20:27

Thrilling, surreal. What I PAY FOR. It's mind blowing to me that "car people" don't find that insanely attractive as part of the gestalt of the sport.

So stop PAYING FOR IT and SHOUTING about it on the internet, because NOBODY cares. Simples.

I, contrary to some on this thread, haven't heard a 2014-spec F1 engine yet (you must be really naive to think that the manufacturers would give their opposition such a nice little sample of their engine, without tweaking it here and there) and for that reason, for the time being, I'm going to refrain myself from crying on the internet over it (even if I didn't particularily liked what I heard).

#59 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,644 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 21:16

I honestly don't think they will sound all that bad based on this. I'm not as interested in how many screaming high frequencies there are, as how much 'thump' they have, if you see what I mean.

An F16 taking off doesn't scream like a V12, but its an awesome noise to witness live.

I'm far more interesting in what sort of torque and high end speed these engines are able to produce - I don't know the specs, but I want F1 engines to produce fast accelerating, high top end beasts of race cars. A good thumpy low end rumble that you can feel through your body would be a great bonus!

Advertisement

#60 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,400 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:05

Renault's Rob White had this to say..

I am sure some people will be nostalgic for the sound of engines from previous eras, including the preceding V8, but the sound of the new generation Power Units is just different. It’s like asking whether you like Motorhead or AC/DC. Ultimately it is a matter of personal taste. Both in concert are still pretty loud.

What if the new engines sound like Justin Bieber instead of ACDC! :eek: :blush:

#61 akshay380

akshay380

• 541 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:25

So stop PAYING FOR IT and SHOUTING about it on the internet, because NOBODY cares. Simples.

I, contrary to some on this thread, haven't heard a 2014-spec F1 engine yet (you must be really naive to think that the manufacturers would give their opposition such a nice little sample of their engine, without tweaking it here and there) and for that reason, for the time being, I'm going to refrain myself from crying on the internet over it (even if I didn't particularily liked what I heard).

:up:

#62 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 4,794 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:40

There's a massive difference between an F1 car sound and all the support races. When you first hear an F1 fire up in the pitlane you know it's time for the sideshow to make itself scarce and let the big guns take to the track. It's no disrespect to the other series' but that's the way it should be. Watching an F1 race live should feel special. I hope this will continue into next year and beyond.

I recall being at Zandvoort 1981 for the GP of that year and the loudest car on the track that day was e 3.5 liter factory 1973 Ford Capri Gp. 2 car that was demonstrated in a show of different Ford vehicles. It was louder than the F1 engines i heard later on that day.

I honestly dont think that the loudest engine is or even must be the most powerful one on the track, being it a single car or a built according a certain formulas like in support formula to an F1 event
Good chance that an atmo touringcar or even a wankel engined Mazda Groups C2 car used in 1986 was much louder than a 1500 hp BMW or Honda powered f1 car of that same year.....
And even the 1987 F1 engines were more powerful then the V8 that was used in the Panoz GT1 car that I heard at Le Mans in 1997 and that still haunts me in nightmares as being the loudest, most frightening engine I ever heard......

Edit: another example out of practical experience that the loudest engine isn't by definition the strongest.

Indy 1994. The loudest engines were the regular quadcam 2.65 liter Fords, Ilmors while the 3.4 liter Stock block buick/Menards were at least as loud, if not louder.
The legendary Ilmor 265/E (Mercedes 500I) used by Penske was not as loud as any of its opponents yet it had all of them covered and more in the power output....

Henri

Edited by Henri Greuter, 31 July 2013 - 10:12.

#63 Talisker

Talisker

• 276 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:01

Are people really worried about what the cars will sound like? Wow. Lets face it on TV they sound nothing like they do in real life, a tiny fraction of the impact, yet it doesn't spoil my enjoyment of F1 on TV at all. Therefore - the sound is completely irrelevant to my enjoyment. Do you really think the great innovators in F1 such as Colin Chapman, would have given a toss what the cars sound like? If he could have made a winning car out of a washing machine engine he would have done so. Mind you, I expect most people posting about the "horrible" 2014 have no idea who Colin Chapman was.

#64 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,715 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:09

Are people really worried about what the cars will sound like? Wow. Lets face it on TV they sound nothing like they do in real life, a tiny fraction of the impact, yet it doesn't spoil my enjoyment of F1 on TV at all. Therefore - the sound is completely irrelevant to my enjoyment. Do you really think the great innovators in F1 such as Colin Chapman, would have given a toss what the cars sound like? If he could have made a winning car out of a washing machine engine he would have done so. Mind you, I expect most people posting about the "horrible" 2014 have no idea who Colin Chapman was.

There is nothing wrong with people caring about the sound of the new engines.

Those who attend the races generally seem to care.

#65 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,263 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:57

I think the most noticeable horrible sound of 2014 will be from the moaning fans that F1 isn't what it used to be in some mythical golden era.

I'd imagine the new cars will sound a bit like the turbos of the 80s and that can't be a bad thing. Personally, I'm actually looking forward to the future silent F1. There's something spine tingly impressive about electric supercars rocketing around a track with only road noise and tyre screech. Each to their own, but I can't imagine the success of the Formula will hinge on a particular loud, high pitched wail.

#66 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,377 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:19

I think the most noticeable horrible sound of 2014 will be from the moaning fans that F1 isn't what it used to be in some mythical golden era.

I'd imagine the new cars will sound a bit like the turbos of the 80s and that can't be a bad thing. Personally, I'm actually looking forward to the future silent F1. There's something spine tingly impressive about electric supercars rocketing around a track with only road noise and tyre screech. Each to their own, but I can't imagine the success of the Formula will hinge on a particular loud, high pitched wail.

Hurrah! At last a sensible reply.

God it annoys me when people think that time has stopped. The new engines will be pretty similar to turbo era engines, and I don't recall anyone complaining about those. Mind you, that was before the whinge-fest that is the internet.

#67 maverick69

maverick69

• 4,419 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:30

I have a friend who was at Goodwood FOS. He said the F1 guys were saying that he should listen to the Peugeot 208 T16 Pikes Peak car at full chat to get an idea of what the 2014 cars will sound like.

Not too bad at all IMHO.......

(from about 2.30 onwards is best as he's not short shifting as much)

Edited by maverick69, 31 July 2013 - 12:31.

#68 Nick Planas

Nick Planas

• 117 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:34

Ah Colin Chapman - the man who brought us the Lotus F1 gas-turbine car. I saw it at the Race of Champions at Brands Hatch in '71 and it was extremely... different! No sound on approach, a massive squeal of tyres on cornering and then a very loud hiss (but not quite like a jet aircraft sound) as it went past. Still spectacular until its suspension broke.

#69 Rubens Hakkamacher

Rubens Hakkamacher

• 1,567 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 14:31

Depends on the context. If the context is "what is more impressive?", absolutely not.

As a guitarist I can unequivocally say that tone is far more important than volume.

As a guitarist I can agree, but racing cars has nothing to do with what a vintage plexi and a PAF sounds like.

#70 ardbeg

ardbeg

• 983 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 14:33

Yes. It's definitely possible to compare it musical terms.
Band members are:
Engine
Gearbox
Wind
Tyre 1
Tyre 2
Tyre 3
Tyre 4

Sadly, only one member is heard, totally drowning the others.

#71 Dan333SP

Dan333SP

• 570 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 14:46

For me, I just wish that they were allowing higher rev limits. I've heard every F1 engine generation in person, either live or at historic events, and I really don't mind the old F1 turbo sound although I preferred the CART engines of the early 2000s... Turbocharged and they were revving to 16,000+ rpm iirc, quite a racket. Obviously those engines were larger and different configs, but maybe the new F1 engine will at least be in the same ballpark in person.

#72 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 1,367 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 15:04

I think the most can be won by making the TV-broadcasts better. I watched a practice session of the Dutch GT class at Zandvoort once, and especially the Aston Martins gave a nice sound. Also watch some fan shot video's of F1 on YT and you hear what FOM leaves out. To bad most broadcasters drown the race noises out in favor of 1-2 babbling voice commentators. In my idea, it was less muted in the past. Watch older Eurosport YT clips of early '90 GP's and most of the time you can hear so much more.

#73 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,044 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 15:43

Agreed. For sound at a GP weekend nothing comes close to GP2 and Porsche Supercup imo, and I include F1 in that.

See, the Porsche's send me to sleep, quite literally did this at Monza last year!

Personally i'm feeling more positive about the sound after hearing Merc's release, you have to bar in mind its in a test cell and not fitted to a car flying around a circuit, that's going to deaden the sound instantly, it sounds a little deeper than the V8's which isn't bad but my only reservation is the volume, i read that the turbine within the actual exhaust will literally block a lot of the sound from escaping, this would be a :down: for me, an F1 engine should cause you ear drums to bleed at 100 paces, anything less is sub optimal.

However i'll withhold my final judgement until i've heard them in person.

Edited by olliek88, 02 August 2013 - 15:45.

#74 InfectedPumpkin

InfectedPumpkin

• 535 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 15:46

Awful. This will be F1 no more.
Why not start racing with sails, powered by wind, instead of engines at all?

#75 Elissa

Elissa

• 220 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 16:02

Not as bad as some are making out imo.....besides, live F1 sounds really different to 'TV' F1 anyway.

Best sound imo......a full WEC grid. The engine noises are so markedly different and LOUD. Ground shaking noise from vettes, the bark of a Ferrari, the whistle of a porsche, all mixed into together.....magic :-)

Edited by Elissa, 02 August 2013 - 16:03.

#76 alframsey

alframsey

• 1,417 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 16:25

Not as bad as some are making out imo.....besides, live F1 sounds really different to 'TV' F1 anyway.

Best sound imo......a full WEC grid. The engine noises are so markedly different and LOUD. Ground shaking noise from vettes, the bark of a Ferrari, the whistle of a porsche, all mixed into together.....magic :-)

You to be honest I really couldn't give a **** about the sound, I watch F1 for the racing not how the engines bloody sound!

I agree though, sound nowhere near as bad as some say.

Edited by alframsey, 02 August 2013 - 16:26.

#77 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,044 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 16:31

You to be honest I really couldn't give a **** about the sound, I watch F1 for the racing not how the engines bloody sound!

I agree though, sound nowhere near as bad as some say.

You heard an F1 machine going full chat in person?

Edited by olliek88, 02 August 2013 - 16:31.

#78 alframsey

alframsey

• 1,417 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 16:33

You heard an F1 machine going full chat in person?

Yep I have, still not bothered if I'm honest.

#79 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,044 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 16:42

Yep I have, still not bothered if I'm honest.

That does surprise me! The first time i heard an F1 car in person the thing i will always remember thinking "Wow... :eek:" Never forgotten that moment either, but hey, different strokes for different folks!

Advertisement

#80 Nobody

Nobody

• 1,405 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 16:44

They need to punch some holes further up in that exhaust  ;)

#81 John Player

John Player

• 418 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 16:47

Sounds worse than i thought it would.

#82 F1Champion

F1Champion

• 2,922 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 16:48

I remember Mika Hakkinen pulling out of his garage for a qualifying lap. It was at such low speeds but that V10 was screaming at low revs. That was pretty impressive, and then at full throttle, it was very special.

#83 alframsey

alframsey

• 1,417 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 16:52

That does surprise me! The first time i heard an F1 car in person the thing i will always remember thinking "Wow... :eek:" Never forgotten that moment either, but hey, different strokes for different folks!

Don't get me wrong I did think 'Wow' first time but it wasn't so impressive it was a key attraction, I imagine if I heard these new engines I'd still think 'Wow'. If it was silent I'd still watch for the sport.

#84 muramasa

muramasa

• 2,992 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 17:08

I think the most can be won by making the TV-broadcasts better. I watched a practice session of the Dutch GT class at Zandvoort once, and especially the Aston Martins gave a nice sound. Also watch some fan shot video's of F1 on YT and you hear what FOM leaves out. To bad most broadcasters drown the race noises out in favor of 1-2 babbling voice commentators. In my idea, it was less muted in the past. Watch older Eurosport YT clips of early '90 GP's and most of the time you can hear so much more.

Recent recording in general (either motorsports or music or whatever) tend to flatten low-mid range sound quite abit. I dont know it's to do with smaller mic or digital processing or dynamic range trend, but they tend to flatten things out on all level of frequency so that you cannot hear details and nuances in many recording, and this esp ruins low-mid range, depriving the punch of bass it should present.

As I said b4, F3 races for example sound quiet as funeral on TV but there's no way real F3 cars sound quiet like that. Also as some people said, even GP2, AutoGP etc suffers from poor sound setting quite alot. Any motorsport powertrain sound awesome in their own way, but pathetic sound those broadcasts offer is hardly appealing to non-motorsport fan who happen to see it on TV, and really hurting motorsports.

#85 morrino

morrino

• 141 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 19:21

Could you stop comparing it to the old V10s? They won't come back ever because:

-they're dagerously powerful.
-they're old tech. Inefficient.
-no manufacturer want to build them anymore (maybe Ferrari).

You should compare the new V6s to current V8s. Wich IMO are the most boring F1 engines of all time.

#86 ardbeg

ardbeg

• 983 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 21:15

I read this thread againand I must laugh at all the people who complain about the sound based on what is posted in this thread. I bet some of you even thought the Trabant sound was the real thing. If we start with the example in the OP: The two sounds are filtered completely different, from different type of driving and there is no proof whatsoever that any of the sound is what they are claimed to be. Listen to the sound we have on TV, they are quite similar to what is supposed to be the V6 in the Op - top and bottom end cut off and a compressor/limiter that flatten out the rest. It gives a hint of what it sounds like, but nothing more.

Then we have the difference of an engine in free air and one on a dyno...
The differnce of the recording eqipment, the difference...

I say, with confidence, to all you who stay behind the statement "Horrible 2014 Sound" (the threads title) - you have no idea.

#87 Coops3

Coops3

• 1,578 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 21:58

Not quite as bad as the clip in the OP:

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/109133

#88 512BB

512BB

• 4 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 00:35

The worst sounding F1 engine I have heard so far! :mad:

#89 Bunchies

Bunchies

• 1,500 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 01:04

It's mind blowing to me that "car people" don't find that insanely attractive as part of the gestalt of the sport.

I think a big part of the issue is that many people on auto racing forums just aren't car people.

They're into the engineering or whatever, but it's obvious that so many people here have never driven, let alone raced a real car.

#90 ardbeg

ardbeg

• 983 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 01:42

The V8's *don't* sound as impressive as the V10s. We lost some revs and some displacement. Fairly subtle, but discernible at a distance, which is the important part.

The V10's whole sound, volume and character, was perfect. There was no doubt. The V8's, less so.

But what is coming in 2014 is drastic. You can't have less displacement, 1/3rd of the noise making energy taken away (fuel), a turbo stuck in the exhaust pipe, and "more typical of other racing series", 10,000-12,000 rpm and it sound "as impressive" as what we have today.

It's impossible. It's also less entertaining. Yes, there is the racing; but then, you could say that about NASCAR, couldn't you?

Disagree completely. I remember sitting across from the garages at Indy during the Supercup race, and thinking "these cars sound nice", quite loud, a "car race".
Then, an F1 car fires up in a garage and you realize, "THAT is impressive". You no longer even hear the Supercup frakking Porsche race cars at full throttle down the straight, you hear the F1 car revving through a warmup sequence, that's all, it drowns them out. One car in the garage.

That is very, very cool, very, very impressive, and very, very entertaining to me</div>*.

"Cool", "impressive"....?
You want to pay for tinnitus? "Drowns them out", you say, as if that's something positive. I know a lot of people who don't go to F1 races because of the sound, specially if they have kids. If you are reasonably close, you need ear protection. How cool is that? You can not talk to anyone, the part of the sound that is alive is killed by the protection and all you have let is noise. On TV, you get nothing of the athmospere ariund the track, you never hear the public cheering, booing or anything. All you hear is a muffled sound a that is filtered into the same quality as if you wear ear protection. You never hear anything from the tires, the downshifts, the wind, the speed. Speed can be heard. But the engines drowns it all.

#91 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 2,123 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:41

Not quite as bad as the clip in the OP:

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/109133

Urgh...these all sound so ridiculously flat and muted compared to what what we had in the early 2000s with the V10s...

Just listen to this car sing:

I'm sure we'll get used to it like we did the V8s.....but bleugh....

#92 Lemans

Lemans

• 1,321 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:20

Urgh...these all sound so ridiculously flat and muted compared to what what we had in the early 2000s with the V10s...

Just listen to this car sing:

I'm sure we'll get used to it like we did the V8s.....but bleugh....

I remember the sound of the MP4/16 very well. Fantastic. One of the best sounding Formula 1 cars of all time. The ironic thing is part of what made it sound unique was the fact that, much like the 2014 rules dictate, it had a single exhaust layout. Except on the /16 it blew through the center of the diffuser.

#93 InfectedPumpkin

InfectedPumpkin

• 535 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:40

They need to punch some holes further up in that exhaust ;)

Get rid of engines, get sails instead and install some speakers with sound recorded. How about that?;)

#94 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 1,098 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:41

I have a friend who was at Goodwood FOS. He said the F1 guys were saying that he should listen to the Peugeot 208 T16 Pikes Peak car at full chat to get an idea of what the 2014 cars will sound like.

Not too bad at all IMHO.......

(from about 2.30 onwards is best as he's not short shifting as much)

Good point. You can listen to this onboard too it sounds similar to the Renault and Merc recording indeed.

#95 phoenix101

phoenix101

• 256 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:34

I think a big part of the issue is that many people on auto racing forums just aren't car people.

They're into the engineering or whatever, but it's obvious that so many people here have never driven, let alone raced a real car.

That has little to do with the legions of irate fans in all forms of racing.

Back in the day, racing had many different sounds. In the modern era, the sanctioning bodies have tightened the technical regulations such that they control the sound of the sport. People get bent when regulators ban the stuff they like. It doesn't have anything to do with whether or not they are good fans.

#96 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 4,794 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:12

Talk about sounds

when I worked on the books on the Novi cars and engines (loud bastards in their own rights) I talked with second owner Andy Granatelli. We also talked about his turbine car of 67 and the complaints he got about the lack of noise of that car. He told me that he had joked to others that he wouldn't mind putting in a tape recorder and speakers in the car and play a tape of the Novi to create more noise and silence the critics.

Henri

#97 Der Pate

Der Pate

• 624 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:28

For me the title of the thread is a prejudice! The starter of the topic seems to want to get all the others to the point like: "In my opinion the sound is horrible, am I right?!"

Maybe the title should be changed to: "2014 engine sound"

Just a thought...

#98 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 2,123 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:15

For me the title of the thread is a prejudice! The starter of the topic seems to want to get all the others to the point like: "In my opinion the sound is horrible, am I right?!"

Maybe the title should be changed to: "2014 engine sound"

Just a thought...

I don't think anybody could say V6 engines sound better though, regardless of the thread title.

So far the discussion of the thread has been between the majority of people who don't like the way the new engines sound and the few people who just seem to make a career on this forum by bitching about "whiners".

Nobody has been raving about how amazing V6 engines sound.

#99 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 2,123 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:30

Every time I go to see racing live I'm blown away by how much of the sound is suppressed by the TV. Every time I see something new I'm shocked by how much noise they put out. The BTCC was a real eye opener the first time I went to see it and I had to get my daughter some earplugs because it was so loud.

Recently I went to see the Blancpain Endurance Series at Silverstone and I couldn't believe the screaming noise the AutoGP cars were pumping out. doesn't even remotely do them justice. And as for the GT3s... Every make sounded completely different. You could close your eyes and pick out exactly what car was passing. On TV they sound like a uniform drone. And if anyone here hasn't heard the BMW Z4 GT3 live, running in anger, you've deprived yourself of one of the most fearsome noises a motor car has ever produced.

Don't Auto GP cars use V8s? And so does the BMW Z4 right?

Advertisement

#100 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 4,794 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 14:28

I don't think anybody could say V6 engines sound better though, regardless of the thread title.

So far the discussion of the thread has been between the majority of people who don't like the way the new engines sound and the few people who just seem to make a career on this forum by bitching about "whiners".

Nobody has been raving about how amazing V6 engines sound.

OK, then I'll be the first to do so:
I love the sound of a V6. Did so back in the first turbocharged era within F1 already. They had something about them that I loved to listen to.

Henri