* * * - - 18 votes

Horrible 2014 sound [merged]

• Please log in to reply
3412 replies to this topic

#101 Rubens Hakkamacher

Rubens Hakkamacher

• 1,567 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 14:34

t he should listen to the Peugeot 208 T16 Pikes Peak car at full chat to get an idea of what the 2014 cars will sound like.

Except it's 3.2 liters and a twin turbo. :well:

Advertisement

#102 Rubens Hakkamacher

Rubens Hakkamacher

• 1,567 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 14:38

That does surprise me! The first time i heard an F1 car in person the thing i will always remember thinking "Wow... :eek:" Never forgotten that moment either, but hey, different strokes for different folks!

I agree, and anyone that stands at the entrance to a track can attest to seeing people grin and shout when they hear the cars *approach* and pass by. It was a thrilling sound that most people did find entertaining, and while new first time race goers will not know what they're missing most of us will.

#103 Rubens Hakkamacher

Rubens Hakkamacher

• 1,567 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 14:53

Recent recording in general (either motorsports or music or whatever) tend to flatten low-mid range sound quite abit.

Compression and data reduction is not at play here. The engine is making the note F#6 as opposed to D# or higher as they are presently. Overtones or undertones will not approach any level compared to a current F1 car.

I dont know it's to do with smaller mic or digital processing or dynamic range trend, but they tend to flatten things out on all level of frequency so that you cannot hear details and nuances in

That's called "21st Century Poor Artistic Tastes Combined with Sketchy Audio Engineering Practices".

#104 Rubens Hakkamacher

Rubens Hakkamacher

• 1,567 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 15:11

"Cool", "impressive"....?
You want to pay for tinnitus?

No, but many people do at rock concerts. That aside, I wear earplugs.

See, the power of the sound isn't in what comes directly from the car, but from the reflections of that sound in the environment. This is what makes a current F1 car supreme to even a Top Fuel car or a military jet: the variety of sounds it makes that are so loud that at a distance, you can hear it filtered through the environment.

The mere fact that you can hear the cars accelerating, shifting, decelerating from the other side of a track is thrilling. That is a similarly unique thing to F1 (was). The nature of the sound changing as it approaches, due to the volume.

I've heard the diesel Audis. They sound neat. But you actually have to *watch for them* because you don't even hear them until they're right in front of you. You hear them woosh by. It's a neat sound. But it's not impressive. And you can't even hear them when the GT cars are around. It's interesting, but it's not special.

"Drowns them out", you say, as if that's something positive.

Yep, I think it's very impressive and entertains me greatly, as it conveys the intent of what is supposed to be the pinnacle of RACE CARS on the planet. YMMV.

I know a lot of people who don't go to F1 races because of the sound, specially if they have kids. If you are reasonably close, you need ear protection. How cool is that?

Maybe they need to have a Spongebob car design that runs on a Formula E chassis, that way the kids can be happy!!! How cool would THAT be????!

You can not talk to anyone,

I'm watching the race. There are moments when there are not cars always in front of you. There used to be these places before the internet called "libraries", there may still be one near your locale.

ed by the protection and all you have let is noise.

Nope.

All you hear is a muffled sound a that is filtered into the same quality as if you wear ear protection.

No, that's non-sequiter, the tv sound problems are not comparable to wearing ear plugs and are a completely different thing.

You never hear anything from the tires, the downshifts, the wind, the speed. Speed can be heard. But the engines drowns it all.

Have you been to a *F1* race? Because I can hear the tires quite well in the low speed turns when they're off throttle, you can hear downshifts easily.

#105 ardbeg

ardbeg

• 1,101 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 15:21

That's called "21st Century Poor Artistic Tastes Combined with Sketchy Audio Engineering Practices".

Us normal people call it "noise cancelling". But yes, I have also been a teenager so I do understand your feelings. With age, taste becomes a bit more esquisite and someone, or something, screaming in your ears just does not quite quilify as "leasure" any more.

No, bring the electrics. That's the sound I want to hear.

#106 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,755 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 19:50

Maybe it's agood time to revive this thread as we now have a proper 2014 V6 sound, on track:

Personally, I like it.

Given that it's 1. 6 L V6 Turbo, it is what I expected. And I like the sound.

Reminds me of when I first started watching F1 in the Turbo era.

#107 gramsy1977

gramsy1977

• 216 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 19:59

Maybe it's agood time to revive this thread as we now have a proper 2014 V6 sound, on track:

Personally, I like it.

Totally agree. Actually that is a pleasant suprise!

Edited by gramsy1977, 24 January 2014 - 19:59.

#108 darkkis

darkkis

• 839 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 19:59

Personally, I like it.

That sounds... so.. SEXY! :love:

#109 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 1,983 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 20:49

Sounds more like a touring car to me.

#110 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 20:50

As I said around summer last year, wait for it to be mounted in the car. It will sound way different than on the dymo.

#111 ZionLH

ZionLH

• 768 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 20:57

As I said around summer last year, wait for it to be mounted in the car. It will sound way different than on the dymo.

+ 1 Exactly , im looking forward to the renault and Ferrari aswell . Might have distinctive notes.

#112 understeer

understeer

• 204 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 21:21

I wont be surprised if Bernie has already ordered the FOM camera men and onboard camers to turn off noise cancellation/attenuation. So worldwide TV audience can be sound satisfied easily.

#113 Otaku

Otaku

• 514 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 21:22

Personally, I like it.

I think it sounds nothing like the 80's turbo cars, but that's just me. I feel the sound had more "grunt" those days. it was more "dirty", now i feel is too compressed if you get what I mean.

#114 pup

pup

• 446 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 21:33

The sound isn't horrible in itself.  

But it's so puny compared to what once was...

#115 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,613 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 21:34

What a nice surprise! The engine sounds pretty meaty, I like it! It has less of the "whirring" noise we all thought we'd probably be hearing, that's for sure. 

#116 DS27

DS27

• 1,092 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 22:24

Meh, does nothing for me.

It's not terrible, but it's not impressive either.

#117 chunder27

chunder27

• 987 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 22:38

You cna hear a lot of the whirring from motors driving things though, sounds a bit Le Mansy!  I guess now as they are going to be a little quieter, you will also hear a bit of tyre noise, far more gearbox noise, like you can with the diesles in SP and older Touring cars

#118 vashlin

vashlin

• 322 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 23:17

I have rarely heard a racing engine noise that I didn't like.  Indy cars, touring cars, NASCAR, et al.  Each has something to provoke a hair raising response when fired in anger. 

But, for me, the sound of an F1 car was steps above the rest.  The more it shrieked, the better it sounded.

This does not sound like F1, to me.  And, yeah, I was around for the previous turbo era.  Didn't like it then, either.

#119 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 5,502 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:10

Sad day for F1 when there is no longer the high pitched whine.. which for me had become the trademark F1 sound.

Advertisement

#120 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,802 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:44

Loved the sound. Hated the high pitched whining earlier. 

#121 BenettonB192

BenettonB192

• 854 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 03:35

It's not a horrible sound but doesn't sound as impressive or intimidating as F1 should. Maybe it's just the recording. Let's wait for the start at Melbourne for final verdict.

#122 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:47

What a beast.

#123 Tourgott

Tourgott

• 386 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:53

The sound isn't horrible in itself.  

I agree. That was pure power. Goose bumps.

The V6 turbo sounds awful.

#124 KiloWatt

KiloWatt

• 1,204 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:35

I love new and innovative technology and fully believe in embracing the 21st century. Im also an engineer, so I am facinated by the new "power units". It really is high time that our beloved sport caught up with the times. I mean correct me if Im wrong, but werent the V8s just V10s that underwent a cylinder-sterectomy? Which makes them, in essence about 20 year old technology. Those were the times of pentium1 processors, were they not? I'm exaggerating, of course, but the point needs to be made.

These engines are technological marvels and the latest rumours suggest they may not be as underpowered as some thought. Not to mention turbo torque and ERS torque!

They do sound a bit kak though...

Edited by KiloWatt, 25 January 2014 - 08:42.

#125 Lazy

Lazy

• 5,484 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:44

Personally, I like it.

Sounds like a proper racing car rather than a the current high performance sewing machines.

#126 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,862 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:22

That sounds... so.. SEXY! :love:

Sarcasm surely?

IIRC, a lot of people on this forum said sound didn't matter to them a year or two ago so sure they'll love it.

#127 Miggeex

Miggeex

• 515 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:39

I like the low pitched sound a lot but we'll see if the volume is loud enough to impress. That V8 didn't really do much to me since it was just high pitched whining when the V10s had something more in them. 

Need to see some amateur video footage from the tests to judge any further. 

#128 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,230 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:45

Sarcasm surely?

IIRC, a lot of people on this forum said sound didn't matter to them a year or two ago so sure they'll love it.

for the majority of us F1 fans who live in a country where motorsport is very bottom of the list and the nearest F1 race is 2/3 countries away, yes, it really doesn't matter. we want good racing, the engine sound is processed by FOM anyway, so they can turn the onboard volume to 11 and we'll be happy.

a lot of people said the same about indy too when they went the turbo way ... they're doin fine, so will F1.  :kiss:

#129 d246

d246

• 563 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:56

The sound of a blown-exhaust Red Bull of the last few years is actually not too great a sound to me. I was pleasantly surprised by the sound of the Merc T until I listened to the BMW V10 a few posts up from here!

Still remember James Hunt commentating on the San Marino GP when turbos had recently been banned saying "listen to that glorious noise of the normally aspirated engines..... So good to get rid of those silly turbos!"

#130 FredrikB

FredrikB

• 593 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:03

I agree. That was pure power. Goose bumps.

The V6 turbo sounds awful.

:love:

Hearing that v10 high pitch racing engine echoing trough the woods is pure magic. But that was different times...

Edited by FredrikB, 25 January 2014 - 10:30.

#131 chumma

chumma

• 961 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:16

That was a V8...

#132 FredrikB

FredrikB

• 593 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:31

That was a V8...

Lol. Edited that  :drunk:

#133 kraduk

kraduk

• 275 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:34

I love new and innovative technology and fully believe in embracing the 21st century. Im also an engineer, so I am facinated by the new "power units". It really is high time that our beloved sport caught up with the times. I mean correct me if Im wrong, but werent the V8s just V10s that underwent a cylinder-sterectomy? Which makes them, in essence about 20 year old technology. Those were the times of pentium1 processors, were they not? I'm exaggerating, of course, but the point needs to be made.

These engines are technological marvels and the latest rumours suggest they may not be as underpowered as some thought. Not to mention turbo torque and ERS torque!

They do sound a bit kak though...

and balancing ur irqs over the ide bus, network card, sound blaster, and mpu-401 midi card, no to mention himem.sys/emm386/quemm and trumpet winsock tinkering

#134 Tourgott

Tourgott

• 386 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:34

:love:

#135 stanga

stanga

• 1,124 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:25

and balancing ur irqs over the ide bus, network card, sound blaster, and mpu-401 midi card, no to mention himem.sys/emm386/quemm and trumpet winsock tinkering

IRQs! Haven't heard of those for a while. 

Personally I like the new sound in that clip. And the whine as it decelerates sound a bit different too.

#136 P123

P123

• 8,482 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:46

The biggest worry is what FOM end up doing with the sound.  The V8 generation cars sounded lifeless on the onboard footage, like something you'd expect on a playstation game.

#137 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 1,204 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:50

It sounds utterly dreadful. :(

Edited by ConsiderAndGo, 25 January 2014 - 11:50.

#138 LEGS

LEGS

• 13 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:15

oh dear that W05 was an f3 car wasn't it  :|

#139 LarsB

LarsB

• 61 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:24

Chris Harris just put this on Twitter:

'@harrismonkey: Heard Merc V6 turbo F1 car running flat-chat yesterday. Whoooosh chirp baaaaaaaaaarp. Sounded flipping ace!!'

I'm convinced it Will sound MEGA

Advertisement

#140 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 1,239 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:30

It's definitely a lot better than what I thought it'd sound like. Personally, as long as it isn't completely silent like a diesel or electric race car, then I'm fine with it.

Some people need to give it a chance, without dismissing it after watching a short video. Wait till you're at the track, or until the first race when 22 of them fly by, to make a judgement.

#141 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,049 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 13:19

It sounds ok, the extra turbo noises are nice. I will with hold my judgement until i hear them in the flesh, that's the most important part. They'll no doubt sound dull and flat on TV but then the sound has always been diluted through the box. It was always going to be different but i think its a decent enough sound, based on that clip at least!

#142 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 5,502 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 16:39

On paper the high pitched whine sounds bad.. but to me F1 has always symbolized the highest pinnacle of racing.  The cars that are the closest to fighter pilots (the next step from F1 being fighter planes.. WW2.. jets.. etc).  And the sounds of the V10 BMW Williams for example.. always has the same impact as a jet flying by.  That same whoosh.. it leaves an impression.  You could also hear them coming from a mile away.. gradually creeping up.. then whooshing past etc etc.  Who knows who these will sound during a race weekend.. but I liked how the sound.. sort of symbolized how I vision F1 as a whole.  As sort of a hybrid between flying and driving.  And then they brought in the endurance aspect (cruising to save tyres, heavy fuel) which meant we only saw peak G forces through the Q3 laps or the final stint of a race.  And now the engine has changed.  Maybe the racing will be better.. who knows.  But F1 has definitely changed in the last 10 years, that's for sure.

#143 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 2,960 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 17:58

Sounds good to me. I always prefer the v10 and v8 grunt, but it's not doom and gloom like fans here are making it out to be.

#144 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,755 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 18:24

Now Renault V6. On track. (Torro Rosso)

Edited by Timstr11, 25 January 2014 - 18:24.

#145 dau

dau

• 4,578 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 18:30

On paper the high pitched whine sounds bad.. but to me F1 has always symbolized the highest pinnacle of racing.  The cars that are the closest to fighter pilots (the next step from F1 being fighter planes.. WW2.. jets.. etc).  And the sounds of the V10 BMW Williams for example.. always has the same impact as a jet flying by.  That same whoosh.. it leaves an impression.  You could also hear them coming from a mile away.. gradually creeping up.. then whooshing past etc etc.  Who knows who these will sound during a race weekend.. but I liked how the sound.. sort of symbolized how I vision F1 as a whole.  As sort of a hybrid between flying and driving.  And then they brought in the endurance aspect (cruising to save tyres, heavy fuel) which meant we only saw peak G forces through the Q3 laps or the final stint of a race.  And now the engine has changed.  Maybe the racing will be better.. who knows.  But F1 has definitely changed in the last 10 years, that's for sure.

So what, it has changed before. There was a time before high-revving V10s. And it was still F1 then. 

#146 cravenciak

cravenciak

• 223 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 18:32

Horrible? Not at all, sir!  :up:

#147 chipmcdonald

chipmcdonald

• 780 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 18:35

2nd through 4th (?) sounds like a vacuum cleaner.  Sorry.  The dopplering as it goes into the distance sounds like a streetbike.  It's curious to hear what sounds like the electric motor pulling in the low gears as the revs don't go up linearly.  Harvesting makes the deceleration sound very... 18 wheeler downshifting down a hill-like. 

Interesting, but not impressive.  Oh well.

#148 Tourgott

Tourgott

• 386 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 18:35

Ok, seems to be still very loud but it does not sound "fast". It sounds like a sports car.

Edited by Tourgott, 25 January 2014 - 18:36.

#149 Miggeex

Miggeex

• 515 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 18:46

Ok, seems to be still very loud but it does not sound "fast". It sounds like a sports car.

Not going flat for sure   ;)

#150 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope
  • Writer of 2013's Best Opening Post

• 7,066 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 18:50

Doesn't sound as bad as I expected. This is still the best engine sound of the past ten years though: