* * * - - 19 votes

Horrible 2014 sound [merged]

• Please log in to reply
3752 replies to this topic

#2801 uffen

uffen

• 925 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 21:05

Very true about the attendance. I sit in grandstand 24 at the hairpin. My grandstand was full, but the one across the track that faces the corner exit had several hundred empty seats, which is the first time I can recall that being the case during a race in my many years sitting there.

My favorite moment of the weekend in the past was when the cars exited the chicane preceding the hairpin. They were still out of visual range behind a banner and some trees, but you'd hear every shift as they approached the turn. I remember that the 2001 Mclaren had the hair on the back of my neck standing on end every single time it came towards me. I think it's fair to say that a significant number of fans were first drawn to the sport by the sound (either on tv or in person). Those sorts of fans will no longer be drawn in.

My other comment on the current note is that the Mercedes has the worst tonal quality of the lot (doesn't sound like a car at all, more like a muffled 2 stroke motorcycle) the Ferrari is the "best", and the Renault is similar to the Ferrari but with a very distinct and high pitched whistle/whine (ERS? Something related to the turbo?) that I found very annoying.

I'm in 24 as well and there were plenty of empty seats Friday and Saturday. On Friday, for example, I was the only person in my row.

Advertisement

#2802 Freytheviking

Freytheviking

• 12 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 21:20

This sound debate is being overblown. I was in Canada this past weekend and I thought it was just fine; the cars sounded great without killing your ears. The race was amazing and for once you can hear the announcers and the fans cheering. Additionally, these engines brought back unreliabilitity which actually makes F1 much more fun and dramatic. Also, realize that these engines are the only reason there is so much more interest in F1 by big business. Mercedes, Renault, Ferrari and soon Honda. I'm willing to bet BMW and VW will enter the sport in the next 2-3 years.

How about we focus on something that is ACTUALLY ruining this sport like stupid aero rules and rising costs that will ultimately doom F1.

#2803 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,921 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 21:21

Funny, I found the race so gripping that I paid no attention whatsoever to the sound. 

#2804 4MEN

4MEN

• 1,556 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 21:35

Nail on head.

Like I said before, I fail to understand 'fans' who claim they're going to stop watching or attending races, just because the cars are a bit quieter or whatever. Take the race last weekend. For me it was so exciting, with a lot going on, that really I didn't think about the noise at all. To be perfectly honest, I haven't given it a second thought since the first race of the season. But if you could watch a race like we just had, and still be aggrieved because the noise is different...you need to go and watch top fuel dragsters or something. The races are over in a split second, they only race in a straight line, but they're loud, so they should satisfy you. :lol:

I guess you weren't at the track. 

#2805 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 1,330 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 21:37

I guess you weren't at the track. 

Nope. But then, neither were the majority of F1 fans in the world who were watching this race. So, what's that got to do with anything?

#2806 morrino

morrino

• 159 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 21:44

How can you prefer the V8s sound over the V6s Turbo? They sounded like a mix of an angry elephant and a giant mosquito.

Now they sound like the hi-tech machines they are.

#2807 4MEN

4MEN

• 1,556 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 21:47

Nope. But then, neither were the majority of F1 fans in the world who were watching this race. So, what's that got to do with anything?

You say "I fail to understand 'fans' who claim they're going to stop watching or attending races, just because the cars are a bit quieter or whatever. "

If I read negative comments of people who have been in a GP, i guess i would ask myself "is it worth to spend that money?" Sound on TV is a different matter unless you mute the commentary.

#2808 muramasa

muramasa

• 3,264 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 22:18

There is a certain atmosphere which go with certain sports. Can you imagine Wimbledon Tennis with a football crowd? Champions League final with a tennis crowd? Its what makes these events special, sure the game is still the same whether there is noise or not, but you mix up the sound at all major sporting events and the atmosphere becomes very different. 

and the volume is a big part - You get 60,000 people singing/chanting compared to 60,000 people talking at a stadium its not the same thing.

F1 had a wow factor and a unique selling point. I remember kids in Melbourne getting off a tram and being amazed at the sound, they weren't even going to the race. But I reckon after hearing them a lot of them wanted to find out more about it. The volume created an atmosphere at the circuit and outside the circuit. The excitement grew as you or the cars got closer and closer. That is no more. The kids that get off the tram now, won't hear a thing and carry on not knowing an F1 race is in town.

well tennis and football, even they are incorporating new and cutting edge technologies as are any other sports. Take racket, ball, wear, shoes, training method, sports medical/physics/theory, etc, just everything. Werent they testing or adopting IC chip ball for football btw?

Sticking with noise or V10 is same as saying tennis/football should get back to vintage, good old days of low tech low quality, like wooden racket / cotton wear / leather ball.

As previously stated, I hate the sound of the new F1.

Will it damage attendances at race tracks? Yes

Enough to cause those inside of F1 to worry, I doubt it.

I do think many underestimate how important sound is too many of the fans.

I'd say if F1 has to die because of "poor sound", just let it be dead.

In order to satisfy fans who think sound is important, engines should be designed and built based on noise and according to how it should sound.  I mean, what the hell is that??  Engines are not musical instrument, but if that's what people want so be it too. Either way F1 will be dead.

1. sticking to V10 or build engine based on sound, F1 will be reduced to become sth that exists purely for providing entertainment and nostalgia just for the sake of that. F1 is no more relevant tech wise, hence the series is effectively dead
  2. keep adopting new tech, F1 will remain F1 but lose popularity and cease to continue because a lot of fans leave by being disappointed about noise and few new fans drawn in

I'd choose #2 any day cos there's still much more hope and possibility in there. But even if F1 has to die I'd still have WEC etc, plus engineers and manufacturers surely wont stop racing regardless of engine sound  so I'm certain I'll still have sth to watch in WEC or whatever.

My other comment on the current note is that the Mercedes has the worst tonal quality of the lot (doesn't sound like a car at all, more like a muffled 2 stroke motorcycle) the Ferrari is the "best", and the Renault is similar to the Ferrari but with a very distinct and high pitched whistle/whine (ERS? Something related to the turbo?) that I found very annoying.

You can actually see why easily. Merc ICE's exhaust manifold is very compact and short, it has unconventional shape and layout for an F1 engine while Ferrari's and Renault's are quite traditional, which is why Mercs sound different to others. That's science. Terrific for me.

#2809 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 1,330 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 00:30

If I read negative comments of people who have been in a GP, i guess i would ask myself "is it worth to spend that money?" Sound on TV is a different matter unless you mute the commentary.

Why decide just on what other people say? I'm pretty sure that there would have been lots of people there totally not bothered by it, and go there to enjoy the racing (which is what Formula One is about) rather than just the noise the cars make.

Maybe F1 should create a poll to get the general consensus from fans on whether they like or dislike the new sound. But I very much doubt that it is the only reason that there's been a drop off in viewing figures etc like several posters in this forum are suggesting.

To me, I couldn't care less what the cars sound like. They could make any noise in the world, but if the racing was still good, and there was lots of wheel-to-wheel battles and overtaking, then it'd be fine to me. I became interested in motorsport through my interest in cars, but was hooked because of exciting racing, not what the cars looked/sounded like.

Edited by JHSingo, 11 June 2014 - 00:31.

#2810 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,540 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:14

and go there to enjoy the racing (which is what Formula One is about) rather than just the noise the cars make.

You go to a race for the spectacle.  You can have some idea what's going on, but it's quite hard to follow what is going on, especially at a street circuit where you can only see a corner or two.

If you want to follow the times closely you watch on TV

Therefore spectacle is VERY important!

#2811 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,540 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:26

Sort of proves the point really, you liked F1 for the superficial sound of it, now the sound has gone you're not a fan anymore. 

Cool rally cars:

Barely interesting rally cars:

The stats tell the facts.  Only the hardcore rally fans remain...  But are you satisfied?  :stoned:

Why do think the same decline of interest in WRC, won't happen for F1?  :confused:

Edited by V8 Fireworks, 11 June 2014 - 01:29.

#2812 Lazy

Lazy

• 5,620 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:21

Cool F1 car :)

#2813 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,468 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:02

To be honest I'm surprised that so many people place so much importance on the sound, which is only a bi-product of the car. The sound was and IMO should never be a planned outcome of the cars.

The old cars had an amazing presence because of how loud they were, but I really enjoyed the sound of the new cars too. There's so much going on, and although a bit quiet, they have a meatiness to them that makes them sound powerful. Even back in 2004, at Silverstone, I remember being slightly disappointed with the noise, compared to my experience at Jerez 1997. Those were my favourite sounding cars of the ones I've heard live.

But I do think that placing so much importance on the sound is incredibly superficial to me, because I derive my excitement from the on track action, the tension of not knowing a result, and the drama of F1.

#2814 4MEN

4MEN

• 1,556 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 13:36

Tell me with all honesty, if you don't prefer those cars.

Edit. Nothing is perfect, forget about the groove tires.  :p

Edited by 4MEN, 11 June 2014 - 13:55.

#2815 PAGATRON

PAGATRON

• 457 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 13:44

I don't, I prefer this, and it sounds great.

I'm going into stasis now, wake me up when this happens.  ;)

Edited by PAGATRON, 11 June 2014 - 13:47.

#2816 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,468 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 14:02

I don't, I prefer this, and it sounds great.

I'm going into stasis now, wake me up when this happens.  ;)

Just having that voice saying "DRS active" or "Final lap" or whatever would make F1 sound 100 times better. She sounds hot ;)

#2817 Lazy

Lazy

• 5,620 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 15:31

Loved that game

#2818 superden

superden

• 383 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 20:39

How many times do people have to tell others, no they do not prefer the old sound/care about the new sound.

It doesn't matter how many times you say 'how can you not prefer this' ... it wont change the fact that your opinion, personal and subjective, is not a bloody fact.

Yes, we know, you don't like it. Thank you for telling us, we get it. Move along.

#2819 4MEN

4MEN

• 1,556 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 21:19

How many times do people have to tell others, no they do not prefer the old sound/care about the new sound.

It doesn't matter how many times you say 'how can you not prefer this' ... it wont change the fact that your opinion, personal and subjective, is not a bloody fact.

Yes, we know, you don't like it. Thank you for telling us, we get it. Move along.

You don't want to see people complaining about the sound... what about NOT clicking a topic called "Horrible 2014 sound". Your post adds nothing to the discussion.

Advertisement

#2820 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,921 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 22:05

You don't want to see people complaining about the sound... what about NOT clicking a topic called "Horrible 2014 sound". Your post adds nothing to the discussion.

By stating it this way it seems that it's rather you who doesn't want a discussion.

#2821 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 4,911 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:32

Well in all honesty:  Yes I don't prefer those cars.

Hearing is a very verying experience for men. What sounds enjoyable and fine for one perosn is not to tolerate for the man next to him. Not only for loudness but also the kind of sound your listening to.

Femael singers for example, Tina Turner, Ilse deLange, Minnie Ripperton and Maria Callas are female femail singers, each withtheir own character and style.

Now three of the four listed are terrible to listen for me because of their sound and character of singing.

With racing engines I have something similar. There are certain kinds of racing engines I like to hear, no matter the formula they compete ins. But no matter the formula, once they get screaming and loud, then I can't take it anymore.

Anyway: my main point I wanted to try to explain to you.

That you can cope with loud, bellowing, screaming engines and enjoy them, that doens't automatcally mean that everyone else has to enjoy them too, let alone can handle the noise. And, as your question suggests:  that it is not to understand why someone can't like a 19000 rpm 3 liter V10 F1 car at full speed and maximum noise because you can handle that and enjoy it.

The manner how someone's hearing deals with certain noises and loudness levels is a much larger factor in someone's opinion of liking a certain noise yes or no and (s)he can't help it. because it is just dependant on wht mother nature gave him/her with respect to his hearing organs.

Respectfully,

Henri

#2822 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,941 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:12

The thread is for discussing the new sound. Obviously people are going to reflect their own experience, give their own opinion. Nobody is claiming their opinion is fact as no such thing exists.

#2823 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 3,386 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:48

Magic. I miss those engines.

#2824 uffen

uffen

• 925 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:20

Some people say that if you wore ear plugs you must have (secretly) not liked the old sound after all.

To me that is like saying, "If you wear sunglasses I guess you really don't like sunny days."

Also, the sound is just part of the mix, I think the racing these days is pretty good, mainly, it seems, because the downforce has been reduced. The sound is OK, but not quite there.

#2825 Lazy

Lazy

• 5,620 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 13:07

To me that is like saying, "If you wear sunglasses I guess you really don't like sunny days."

Sunny days are great but 26 degrees is so much better than 40.

#2826 PaulTodd

PaulTodd

• 116 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 13:19

Back in the day when a crowd had to really cheer to be heard. Now a gentle clap will get you noticed on tv :rotfl:

#2827 4MEN

4MEN

• 1,556 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 14:02

Henri, i don't like loudness per se. I was at a Bad Religion concert some years ago and my ears were making noise for two weeks. Not pleasant. 

But, and it's the last time I express my opinion about F1 sound, with V8/V10 cars you "felt" the sound, not just "heard" the sound. You heard the cars before you saw them. That is gone.

#2828 4MEN

4MEN

• 1,556 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 14:09

To be honest I'm surprised that so many people place so much importance on the sound, which is only a bi-product of the car. The sound was and IMO should never be a planned outcome of the cars.

That's very simplistic. Liveries, colors and designs, are something added to the car that has nothing to do with racing or technology and, in any case, people seem to give them quite an importance.

#2829 uffen

uffen

• 925 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 14:19

Sunny days are great but 26 degrees is so much better than 40.

I agree completely, but what's that got to do with sunglasses?

#2830 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,468 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 14:29

That's very simplistic. Liveries, colors and designs, are something added to the car that has nothing to do with racing or technology and, in any case, people seem to give them quite an importance.

They're added to the car because the perform a function, whether it's protecting the material or providing identification or advertising markings. We see liveries compromised for performance regularly (see bare carbon fibre). However the sound is just a natural output of an engine designed for performance.

In the same way that I prefer a nice sounding engine to a horrible one, I prefer a field of beautifully painted cars to a field of ugly cars. But, the lack of either of those things won't stop me from enjoying a good race, and I have gone on record many times saying that the current cars sound good, if a little quiet.

#2831 superden

superden

• 383 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 14:53

And posts repeating the same subjective opinions and personal dislikes as if they were fact over and over, ad nauseam, does?

This thread started out vaguely interesting, with differing opinions being put forward but, as I said, it has descended into the same old people demonstrating their inability to understand that other people have different opinions, all that changes is the degree of their exasperation. Unless something constructive is forthcoming, its about time this 57 page moan fest came to a close because the point is, there is nothing that can be added to this discussion. So, in keeping with the feel of this thread, I will just repeat myself: 

Yes, we know you don't like it. Thank you for telling us, we get it. Move along.

Edited by superden, 12 June 2014 - 14:56.

#2832 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,941 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 15:03

And posts repeating the same subjective opinions and personal dislikes as if they were fact over and over, ad nauseam, does?

This thread started out vaguely interesting, with differing opinions being put forward but, as I said, it has descended into the same old people demonstrating their inability to understand that other people have different opinions, all that changes is the degree of their exasperation. Unless something constructive is forthcoming, its about time this 57 page moan fest came to a close because the point is, there is nothing that can be added to this discussion. So, in keeping with the feel of this thread, I will just repeat myself: 

Yes, we know you don't like it. Thank you for telling us, we get it. Move along.

If you're not intersted in reading it anymore for the reasons cited, perhaps it is you who ought to 'move along'

If the thread staying open is a problem for you, take it to a moderator.

#2833 Lazy

Lazy

• 5,620 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 15:33

I agree completely, but what's that got to do with sunglasses?

Nothing really :)

I was taking your analogy in a different direction, ie more is not necessarily better.

#2834 4MEN

4MEN

• 1,556 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 15:33

You see the irony.

#2835 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast
  • Paddock Club Host

• 4,531 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 15:42

You see the irony.

Did you just hear the noise of something going over your head?

#2836 saudoso

saudoso

• 4,707 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 15:44

Lead us by example then: Just go away from here!

#2837 superden

superden

• 383 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 16:17

You see the irony.

Did you just hear the noise of something going over your head?

Indeed he did. 4MEN, you missed the point completely  :rotfl:

Edited by superden, 12 June 2014 - 16:20.

#2838 superden

superden

• 383 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 16:19

If you're not intersted in reading it anymore for the reasons cited, perhaps it is you who ought to 'move along'

If the thread staying open is a problem for you, take it to a moderator.

No, not a problem at all. However, like those who keep on about the sound, I choose to keep on about them keeping on.

It's making a point, which you, 4MEN and probably a few others clearly don't get. Still, nevermind  :yawnface:

#2839 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,941 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 16:32

No, not a problem at all. However, like those who keep on about the sound, I choose to keep on about them keeping on.

It's making a point, which you, 4MEN and probably a few others clearly don't get. Still, nevermind  :yawnface:

Of course I understand your point but the sound of the current F1 has been discussed in the broadcast media at every event this season and at the last test, measures were being tested to up the volume.

This is still a valid discussion. There is no right or wrong here, only opinions.

But if you want to try and ruin the thread, carry on. All a bit silly really given the wide interest and discussion of this topic.

Edited by Jon83, 12 June 2014 - 16:33.

Advertisement

#2840 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 4,911 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 16:54

Henri, i don't like loudness per se. I was at a Bad Religion concert some years ago and my ears were making noise for two weeks. Not pleasant. 

But, and it's the last time I express my opinion about F1 sound, with V8/V10 cars you "felt" the sound, not just "heard" the sound. You heard the cars before you saw them. That is gone.

4MEN,

I understand what you mean.

To some extend I envy all of you who can cope with such dangerous levels of noise. But for me the V10s and V8s were so loud that it scared the hell out of me and took away most of the pleasure I can have when seeing a race car being driven at the limit.

Call me a sissy or whatever, but it's something I just can't help.

The current cars, as I hear them on TV they disappoint me if it comes to the character of the sound. It reminds me about the twostroke outboard engines on catamaran speedboats  that I remember from events like the Paris Six hours as piloted by Bill Seebold and Cees van der Velden.

The cars  don't sound as nice as I recall from the first generation turbocars of the 80s. I think there will be more people who felt the 1.5s of the past sounding better. But all of you younger fans who never heard those and only knew those dangerously loud V10s and V8s will like say they sound better but still way too silent.

But if I must choose between the previous V8s and the current engines, then despite their disappointing sound, i rather take the current V6s. Because I know that I can go to F1 events again without the fear that I'll be scared because of the noise levels and get sick of it. By now I know that I can enjoy the activities again without fear for the physical discomfort of the last times I have been to one.

Thanks for your reaction,

Henri

#2841 uffen

uffen

• 925 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 16:59

4MEN,

I understand what you mean.

To some extend I envy all of you who can cope with such dangerous levels of noise. But for me the V10s and V8s were so loud that it scared the hell out of me and took away most of the pleasure I can have when seeing a race car being driven at the limit.

Call me a sissy or whatever, but it's something I just can't help.

The current cars, as I hear them on TV they disappoint me if it comes to the character of the sound. It reminds me about the twostroke outboard engines on catamaran speedboats  that I remember from events like the Paris Six hours as piloted by Bill Seebold and Cees van der Velden.

The cars  don't sound as nice as I recall from the first generation turbocars of the 80s. I think there will be more people who felt the 1.5s of the past sounding better. But all of you younger fans who never heard those and only knew those dangerously loud V10s and V8s will like say they sound better but still way too silent.

But if I must choose between the previous V8s and the current engines, then despite their disappointing sound, i rather take the current V6s. Because I know that I can go to F1 events again without the fear that I'll be scared because of the noise levels and get sick of it. By now I know that I can enjoy the activities again without fear for the physical discomfort of the last times I have been to one.

Thanks for your reaction,

Henri

Well stated, Henri.

#2842 superden

superden

• 383 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 17:02

Of course I understand your point but the sound of the current F1 has been discussed in the broadcast media at every event this season and at the last test, measures were being tested to up the volume.

This is still a valid discussion. There is no right or wrong here, only opinions.

But if you want to try and ruin the thread, carry on. All a bit silly really given the wide interest and discussion of this topic.

Hardly me ruining it, look elsewhere for that. Besides, I quite agree with you. This is, certain posts aside, an interesting thread. It's just a shame some users can't try to be a little more constructive in their thinking.

The cars don't sound as nice as I recall from the first generation turbocars of the 80s. I think there will be more people who felt the 1.5s of the past sounding better. But all of you younger fans who never heard those and only knew those dangerously loud V10s and V8s will like say they sound better but still way too silent.

I agree, I first started watching during the first V6T era and, whilst the older engines did sound better, I think that is why I have no issues with the sound produced by the 2014 engine/PU.

Edited by superden, 12 June 2014 - 17:09.

#2843 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 1,330 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 18:35

No, I honestly don't. Because I for one don't need the cars to be that loud to find them impressive.

I'll put it this way. A modern jet fighter creates a heck of a lot of noise, and sure, they're quite impressive. It's also pretty painful to hear for any length of time. But I far prefer the sound a World War Two fighter, like a Spitfire or Hurricane makes, for instance. They're nowhere near as loud, but the sound is a lot nicer, and you can appreciate it without having to cover your ears, or wear earplugs or whatever. Louder isn't automatically better.

Likewise, with these new engines, there's a lot more we hear now. The whirr of the turbo, the sounds of complex hybrid technologies working, which I personally find a lot more impressive and interesting than the ear-splitting row a V10 car produced.

Edited by JHSingo, 12 June 2014 - 18:39.

#2844 jestaudio

jestaudio

• 975 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 19:03

Loud cars or good racing, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, well the V8,s are dinosaurs in the engine world, they have no real world application, they certainly are,nt the pinnacle of motorsport, Mercedes aside this year has been some of the best racing for a while, given the choice between the last 4 years of boredom and this year with quieter engines , well for me its a no brainer.

#2845 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 4,911 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:54

Loud cars or good racing, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, well the V8,s are dinosaurs in the engine world, they have no real world application, they certainly are,nt the pinnacle of motorsport, Mercedes aside this year has been some of the best racing for a while, given the choice between the last 4 years of boredom and this year with quieter engines , well for me its a no brainer.

In defence of the V10s and V8, you state that they are not the pinnacle of motor sport.

Il all fairness, i must admit that i am truly impressed with the fact that it was possible to rev an engine at almost 20000 rpm and still obtain full combustion of all the injected fuel. From a technological point of view, it is absolutely amazing and highly respectable that such a performance could be achieved and with that kind of levels of reliability too.

I respect the achievement, I definitely do. But I don't appreciate what comes with it: a kind of noise that is much more like a scream and so awfully loud.

And I do agree with you that, indeed, it has no real world application anymore.

Henri

#2846 jestaudio

jestaudio

• 975 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:04

V8,s and 10,s are over ten years out of date, motorbike engines can rev just as high , nothing new in the least and nothing that is applicable to modern technology,

#2847 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 1,590 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:40

V8 and V10 became obsolete with the banning of development. Who knows what they could have done with it. And they were near bulletproof in the end. Wasn't the BMW V10 capable of 22k revs? It was astonishing.

Motorbike engines are incomparable, total different build.

#2848 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 4,911 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:48

V8,s and 10,s are over ten years out of date, motorbike engines can rev just as high , nothing new in the least and nothing that is applicable to modern technology,

But bike engines ain't (in the case of the F1 engines mention) 3 liter v10s or  2.4 liter v8s. if I know enough of the technolpgy to compare, Bike engines hav mush smaller pistons and lighter crankcases etc so it does take more efforts to let the former F1 engines rev as fast as they did then bike engines.

Henri

#2849 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 4,911 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:52

V8 and V10 became obsolete with the banning of development. Who knows what they could have done with it. And they were near bulletproof in the end. Wasn't the BMW V10 capable of 22k revs? It was astonishing.

Motorbike engines are incomparable, total different build.

22K, the record I have heard was Toyota being over 20K but 22k? Find that difficult to believe.

Anyway, the banning prevented a useless dead so called path of progress that would have yielded nothing of importance whatsoever. Other than pleasing the ears of the noisefreaks...

Henri

#2850 uffen

uffen

• 925 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 13:44

Not sure the 1.6 litre turbo represents any new breakthroughs. So much of the design was constrained and mandated, too. The battery technology is a few years old. Hybrids are over ten years on the road.

The new stuff is the integration of battery and IC engine, in this particular configuration. We don't yet know if any manufacturer will adopt this configuration for the road.