* * * - - 18 votes

Horrible 2014 sound [merged]

• Please log in to reply
3412 replies to this topic

#3401 SCHUEYFAN

SCHUEYFAN

• 282 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 19:19

I've been to over 25 grand prixs and I have vowed to never return, we sit at the front row in the hairpin in Montreal and this year we wore no ear plugs all race, the cars sound like lawnmowers.  If you attempted to use no ear plugs with the old engines you would have a headache for the next day afterwards!  I recall the turbo era back in the day and they sounded way better than this this garbage.  I'm a race enthusiast and I firmly believe the live experience is a true visceral sensory input and the current generation has robbed spectators of all of this.  They could have incorporated a minimal decibel or sound signature with this current design but chose to ignore the existing fan base by "needing" to attract the new green generation. Le Mans has the hybrid technology and leave it to that category to attract the manufacturers.  F1 has embarked down a road which will have no return soon if they don't try and recapture its essence.  Forget high ticket prices, empty grandstands will be the result of this crap and nothing more.    :mad:

Advertisement

#3402 nonobaddog

nonobaddog

• 104 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 19:34

"To me they sound quite unique, and don't make your ears bleed."

I wouldn't call them quite unique.  They sound exactly like my grandson's Fisher-Price Power Wheels Jeep going alongside a Briggs & Stratton lawnmower.

#3403 30ft penguin

30ft penguin

• 2,428 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 21:36

^^ assuming the sound hasn't been tinkered with on those above trackside videos, I really can't see what's wrong with the sound at all.

They just do not sound "fast". To me, the new engines sound as if the drivers are always on a cooldown lap taking it easy. There is not enough difference between someone going all out and someone driving around slowly. I guess the word "boring" sums it up nicely.

#3404 ardbeg

ardbeg

• 1,100 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 03:31

I've been to over 25 grand prixs and I have vowed to never return, we sit at the front row in the hairpin in Montreal and this year we wore no ear plugs all race, the cars sound like lawnmowers.  If you attempted to use no ear plugs with the old engines you would have a headache for the next day afterwards!  I recall the turbo era back in the day and they sounded way better than this this garbage.  I'm a race enthusiast and I firmly believe the live experience is a true visceral sensory input and the current generation has robbed spectators of all of this.  They could have incorporated a minimal decibel or sound signature with this current design but chose to ignore the existing fan base by "needing" to attract the new green generation. Le Mans has the hybrid technology and leave it to that category to attract the manufacturers.  F1 has embarked down a road which will have no return soon if they don't try and recapture its essence.  Forget high ticket prices, empty grandstands will be the result of this crap and nothing more.    :mad:

I'm surprised the above was not written in CAPS

#3405 Dan333SP

Dan333SP

• 602 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:53

I've moved on and accepted that the new engines sound like crap but it is what it is. I'll still attend races but I am absolutely convinced that the new sound is hurting the sport's ability to attract new fans. For all the people on here that are posting videos of 2014 cars and saying that it is still impressive, I'm sorry. The only thing impressive about these cars is that something moving so quickly can be so quiet. I'll just watch race replays from the 90s for my fix of goosebumps and auditory thrills.

#3406 SpartanChas

SpartanChas

• 758 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 19:15

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=d-r084tHx_Y

Who cares about the noise. They should market F1 on this stuff. Times have moved on.

#3407 nonobaddog

nonobaddog

• 104 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 19:57

You don't see many racing videos where they have to crank the volume that high to hear the cars.  Geez, you could even hear that dark haired guy fart fifty seats away.

#3408 SpartanChas

SpartanChas

• 758 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 19:58

whoosh...

#3409 Risil

Risil

• 14,105 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 21:09

Tbh they sound a lot like the turbo cars from the '80s, just with an odd additional whine from the hybrid system.

The normally aspirated engines that were mandated from 1989 onwards were thought by many/most to be an improvement, but the sound wasn't the be-all-and-end-all then.

Edited by Risil, 09 October 2014 - 21:10.

#3410 alexocfp

alexocfp

• 160 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 04:38

Who cares about the noise. They should market F1 on this stuff. Times have moved on.

Why is it that fan videos capture the speed and sounds of F1 better than the official tv coverage?

#3411 Sash1

Sash1

• 149 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 06:27

Why is it that fan videos capture the speed and sounds of F1 better than the official tv coverage?

The speed and view is better, but the sound is dreadfull. To be honest, this (breaking and downshift zone) is not a good spot to judge sound, but you can't even hear the acceleration trough the corner.

#3412 yasushi888

yasushi888

• 119 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:19

This is good, would it be even better with sounds of some previous years? For me 100%.

#3413 bourbon

bourbon

• 6,966 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:33

The sound was a lot better after listening to formula e...