* * * - - 18 votes

Horrible 2014 sound [merged]

• Please log in to reply
3465 replies to this topic

#3451 uffen

uffen

• 912 posts

Posted Yesterday, 15:39

And yet again another thread from one of the people who go to the race track to listen to the cars. Well, and please focus, most people, strange as it may seem to you, prefer watching the races rather then listening to them, and the universally agreed best way to do so is not on a screen in front of the grand stand but rather on a TV in your own living room. That way you can actually follow what happens with the race and not just contemplate how good or bad the cars sound. I do not mind your hobby a bit, but I don't care. The same way I do not mind the train spotters at all, but when I am travelling by train I do not care about those steam engines and how much cooler they were. 

Whoa. I've been to 42 F1 races, and I don't go there to shut my eyes, pinch off my nose, isolate the soles of my feet and just listen! C'mon. When you go to a live race you experience a range of sensations, sound is just a part of it whether you like the sound of not. TV is ok but one doesn't get a true impression of speed from watching TV while a long TV lens zooms in as a car travels the track. Neither can you appreciate the different cornering approaches the drivers try as they practice, etc. Besides, I get to one, maybe two races a year, the rest I watch on TV and it can be very boring compared to watching live. So, I don't see it as "universally agreed" that TV is better. No, I don't mind your hobby of avoiding live races, but please don't presume so much.

Advertisement

#3452 ayrtonio

ayrtonio

• 161 posts

Posted Yesterday, 15:41

That's right, the sense of speed is gone.. Like muziek, when you like it, you turn it up!

Just listen to this lap of Montoya is 2004 at Monza, my god :love:

And then this one, Monza 2014:

Emotion and sound go hand in hand

#3453 Knowlesy

Knowlesy

• 324 posts

Posted Yesterday, 15:45

Where's the evidence of that? It's mere conjecture.

I don't buy for a second that a change in engine noise has decreased the fan base. What has, is the move in many countries to pay-to-view channels, and ridiculously expensive race tickets.

100% this.

#3454 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

• 4,488 posts

Posted Yesterday, 16:04

part of the problem F1 faces is the idea of taking one aspect in isolation and using that to back reasoning for a position on the whole. 

The sound in 2002 obviously did not negatively impact the sponsors, or else there would not have been sponsors.

Can you reconcile these two statements?

#3455 Tourgott

Tourgott

• 392 posts

Posted Yesterday, 17:04

Where's the evidence of that? It's mere conjecture.

I don't buy for a second that a change in engine noise has decreased the fan base. What has, is the move in many countries to pay-to-view channels, and ridiculously expensive race tickets.

Oh dear... it does not become truer or a better argument by repeating it over and over again.

F1 in Germany FREE TO AIR since over 25 years even on the same channel and even with the same freaking moderators. TV ratings dropped massively this year (-30%).

Hopefully everybody got it now. It was discussed one million times in this thread.  :rolleyes:

Edited by Tourgott, Yesterday, 17:05.

#3456 pdac

pdac

• 992 posts

Posted Yesterday, 18:05

It's a fact that shoe size is directly related to earnings.

It's just co-incidence that women have smaller feet than men and, on average, earn less.

#3457 Kraken

Kraken

• 768 posts

Posted Yesterday, 21:22

Oh dear... it does not become truer or a better argument by repeating it over and over again.

F1 in Germany FREE TO AIR since over 25 years even on the same channel and even with the same freaking moderators. TV ratings dropped massively this year (-30%).

Hopefully everybody got it now. It was discussed one million times in this thread.  :rolleyes:

And there are plenty of reasons that have been discussed endlessly for that that are nothing to do with noise.

I guarantee you that if we saw wheel to wheel racing with six or so drivers going flat out with any of them capable of winning any race no-one would even mention the noise.

#3458 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,407 posts

Posted Yesterday, 21:50

And there are plenty of reasons that have been discussed endlessly for that that are nothing to do with noise.

I guarantee you that if we saw wheel to wheel racing with six or so drivers going flat out with any of them capable of winning any race no-one would even mention the noise.

That doesn't quite make sense because otherwise you'd all watch kart racing. You watch F1 for reasons above and beyond the drivers going 'flat out'. There has to be something MORE (noise, speed etc...) otherwise why watch? 4

The lack of noise, the lack of pace, has made F1 a less unique product. Everyone can live in denial about this, but falling viewership, teams exiting... The writing is on the wall.

Edited by rhukkas, Yesterday, 21:54.

#3459 zdzisio

zdzisio

• 155 posts

Posted Today, 00:32

I get to one, maybe two races a year, the rest I watch on TV and it can be very boring compared to watching live. So, I don't see it as "universally agreed" that TV is better.

Maybe you don't but it doesn't change the fact that vast majority of the people watching the races do it in front of the TV and so to speak that's the proof of the pudding.

Advertisement

#3460 Tourgott

Tourgott

• 392 posts

Posted Today, 05:08

And there are plenty of reasons that have been discussed endlessly for that that are nothing to do with noise

And all have plausible been proven to be wrong.  :rolleyes:

#3461 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 4,832 posts

Posted Today, 08:38

That doesn't quite make sense because otherwise you'd all watch kart racing. You watch F1 for reasons above and beyond the drivers going 'flat out'. There has to be something MORE (noise, speed etc...) otherwise why watch? 4

The lack of noise, the lack of pace, has made F1 a less unique product. Everyone can live in denial about this, but falling viewership, teams exiting... The writing is on the wall.

Given your logic I think I can assume that you will never ever go to a Formula E race since that category has absolutely nothing to offer to you anything else but ... racing.

Maybe we must hope that the aircraft industry will quit making their engines less noisy. And let's make thme loud again to illustrate how special flying still is and that we all get more reasons again to realize it and appreciate it how special flying still is and being reminded about it a bit more often.....

Andf sorry but I don't buy it that teams are forced to close down because of the main reason they are forced to race with engines being with less noisy and less well sounding engines. Now if it is because of the costs related with the use of their current engines, then it is a bit different.

I think that has much more to do with the amounts of money rewuired to be competitve and the budgts the teams can obtain by now, either on own merits (securing sponsorship) and being part of the privileged teams that had success the years before and be rewarded for that.

Do you honestly want to suggest that there is a straight relationship between the noise and sound of the current engines and nothing else but that) and the fact that teams drop out of F1?

Henri

#3462 saudoso

saudoso

• 4,678 posts

Posted Today, 08:45

The straw that broke the camel's back.

You know the concept, right guys?

You screw a bit here, a bit there and everything holds in place. Then you screw that one final bit and everything comes down crashing.

It's not the engine noise. It's everything. It's pretty much all wrong. Engine noise, fugly cars, reams of rule pages, frozen engines, CVC getting all the money and this and that.

Edited by saudoso, Today, 08:46.

#3463 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 1,507 posts

Posted Today, 09:14

Given your logic I think I can assume that you will never ever go to a Formula E race since that category has absolutely nothing to offer to you anything else but ... racing.

Maybe we must hope that the aircraft industry will quit making their engines less noisy. And let's make thme loud again to illustrate how special flying still is and that we all get more reasons again to realize it and appreciate it how special flying still is and being reminded about it a bit more often.....

Andf sorry but I don't buy it that teams are forced to close down because of the main reason they are forced to race with engines being with less noisy and less well sounding engines. Now if it is because of the costs related with the use of their current engines, then it is a bit different.

I think that has much more to do with the amounts of money rewuired to be competitve and the budgts the teams can obtain by now, either on own merits (securing sponsorship) and being part of the privileged teams that had success the years before and be rewarded for that.

Do you honestly want to suggest that there is a straight relationship between the noise and sound of the current engines and nothing else but that) and the fact that teams drop out of F1?

Henri

You mean powerboosts based on Facebook likes, dance music to compensate for the lack of sound and a car change halfway due to flat batteries? No, I don't think I'll attend that.

#3464 saudoso

saudoso

• 4,678 posts

Posted Today, 09:25

You mean powerboosts based on Facebook likes, dance music to compensate for the lack of sound and a car change halfway due to flat batteries? No, I don't think I'll attend that.

:rotfl: They lost me at fan boost.

#3465 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,757 posts

Posted Today, 09:32

I enjoy a variety of different types of racing and with Formula E you know full well what it is before you go, much like with karting and Touring Cars. F1 has always been noisy and backed up its title as the pinnacle of motorsport by offering the spectator a sense of power and speed through its loud powerful engines. You enjoy racing for what it is and each formula brings something different. There is no denying that despite F1 maintaining its ability to be fast, it has lost its powerful noise. Standing at the end of the Hangar Straight are Silverstone and hearing a V10 or V8 screaming as it exits Chapel and then as it gets closer, downshifting through Stowe vibrating in your stomach. That is what I loved about hearing an F1 car! It was part of the experience and awe of witnessing an F1 car in the flesh. 

Now its a bit like holding your nose when you eat and complaining you can't taste the food. There will always be someone who says 'you're not eating it with your nose so its insignificant' lol. Certain things make a big difference and are vital to the experience. :) 

#3466 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 9,163 posts

Posted Today, 09:46

To be fair, (as I expected) I'm getting used to the sound now as the season has progressed - on TV its less of an issue especially as FOM have worked hard record and amplify the audio played back on the world feed. 

However, I've been to a couple of races this year and F1 is definitely less "sensational" than it was before, for me. Watching F1 live is a multi-sensory experience and not only was the sound an assault on the ear drums before (which I personally enjoyed), but it also send vibrations through the ground. It send shivers up my spine. That to a large extent has gone now, but its not the end of the world. Standing on the outside of Copse just on turn in, its still amazing to see that they can actually negotiate that corner at that speed. That part hasn't changed, thank God.