* * * - - 19 votes

Horrible 2014 sound [merged]

• Please log in to reply
3909 replies to this topic

#3901 uffen

uffen

• 927 posts

Posted Yesterday, 23:09

You are right to some extend. But there is one big difference between why I can't go to an event as I described and why others won't go to the current races.

I become physically unwell should I go to races in which the f1 spec V10s or V8's af the past 15 years were used. No matter if the racing itself is good and worth every second of watching. The loudness of these engines as well as the screaming character is something that I physically can't cope with. I think I am not the only one who has to deal with such a hearing deficiency but I do atmit I am the most outspoken one.

As said before, there are some loud engines that I can appreciate for a while, But the rather monotous screaming high revving F1 atmo is difficult  for me at any noise level, let alone as loud as happened in F1.

I doubt if any of the complainers about the current engines who would attend a race will become physically as unwell because of the noise level and sound characters as I became and will become when attending an event with those previous engines.

Henri

I did not appreciate your situation, Henri. I recall that the mid-seventies Matra V12s hurt my ears. It was easily cured by using ear plugs, or even just turning my head. In any case, at least now you can get back to live F1 races.

Advertisement

#3902 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,551 posts

Posted Today, 09:22

The loudness of these engines as well as the screaming character is something that I physically can't cope with. I think I am not the only one who has to deal with such a hearing deficiency but I do atmit I am the most outspoken one.

As said before, there are some loud engines that I can appreciate for a while,

Were you wearing ear defenders ?  Those are "compulsory" and easily bought at any hardware or safety shop.

V10 F1 cars cannot possibly be louder than 8000hp dragsters, and those are perfectly tolerable with ear defenders apart from the vibrations!  :cool:

Edited by V8 Fireworks, Today, 09:22.

#3903 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,551 posts

Posted Today, 09:28

Oh, and before I get the rhetorial question if I would go to races like I described but then with cars powered by the loud V8s of V10s:

No I wouldn't go. Not because I don't want to see such races but because the noise levels of the V8s and V10s were simply too loud for me to reduce them to a level that I can enjoy 

But like I said people like top-fuel dragsters, and surely they are louder than F1 cars given they produce 10x as much horsepower?  :confused:

This gentlemen say top fuel is in excess of 140 dB(A) Sound pressure level  :eek:  http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=5759488

Edited by V8 Fireworks, Today, 09:29.

#3904 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,684 posts

Posted Today, 09:47

But like I said people like top-fuel dragsters, and surely they are louder than F1 cars given they produce 10x as much horsepower?  :confused:

This gentlemen say top fuel is in excess of 140 dB(A) Sound pressure level  :eek:  http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=5759488

But are they not just in very short bursts? At an F1 race, once the field has spread out a bit, the noise is\was constant for the duration.

#3905 FredrikB

FredrikB

• 640 posts

Posted Today, 09:48

Must jump in here. Sorry for OT. I have read that story you are linking to. It's incredible. He reckons we are talking about 150dB here. :eek:

I have never been a fan of drag racing but went to Tierp (one hour drive) last year and got blewn away.

Its not a sound, it's a bloody earthquake. The world is vibrating. It's physically shakes and stirres your whole body. Some people get sick...

Seeing top fuel dragsters live is a thing all people must do before they die.

#3906 kraduk

kraduk

• 303 posts

Posted Today, 09:58

Must jump in here. Sorry for OT. I have read that story you are linking to. It's incredible. He reckons we are talking about 150dB here. :eek:

I have never been a fan of drag racing but went to Tierp (one hour drive) last year and got blewn away.

Its not a sound, it's a bloody earthquake. The world is vibrating. It's physically shakes and stirres your whole body. Some people get sick...

When I saw one a santa pod i thought reality was tearing. I've been to quite a few air shows and non of the jets I have seen/heard come close. su27,eurofighter,vulcan,buccaneer,EE lightening 2,f16,f15, etc. It was way to much for my 5 year old son and he just ran away in fear, which lead to a frantic 10 mins trying to find him again.

Edited by kraduk, Today, 09:58.

#3907 MissingTheApex

MissingTheApex

• 214 posts

Posted Today, 10:05

So true, so, so true.  I went to the states travelling for almost 3 years and got into it.  It's an assault on the person, it's the only way to explain it.

I was once in the pits during the 87, or 88 Adelaide GP (memory fades) and as I was walking through, a Larousse Lambo I think, started,  blatted to about 15k and I must admit, I fair shat my pants the noise was so raw, brutal.  Nothing like it.  Having been to a lot of GP's, I'll not miss the V8's as they were so shrill, nothing like the older units.

I think, with time, the V6's will sound better, the new Honda one sounded quite promising, and they are all distinctive, which I kind of felt the V8's weren't all that.

If these new 1000hp rules go through, with no fuel limits, then the sounds will be much better; I used to love the blown V6's of yesterday.

Edited by MissingTheApex, Today, 10:06.

#3908 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 1,654 posts

Posted Today, 10:10

When I saw one a santa pod i thought reality was tearing. I've been to quite a few air shows and non of the jets I have seen/heard come close. su27,eurofighter,vulcan,buccaneer,EE lightening 2,f16,f15, etc. It was way to much for my 5 year old son and he just ran away in fear, which lead to a frantic 10 mins trying to find him again.

Lol,

I had my young nephew fleeing for his mother once when I started my bike. And that was just a standard Yamaha Fazer600 back then. :p

#3909 Lazy

Lazy

• 5,682 posts

Posted Today, 10:10

Lol,

I had my young nephew fleeing for his mother once when I started my bike. And that was just a standard Yamaha Fazer600 back then. :p

What a proud moment for you.

#3910 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

• 494 posts

Posted Today, 10:14

I know that it is wishful thinking to see a much bettter racing season next year with more teams/drivers fighting for victory. And in that all out battle it making little to nio difference what engine brand a driver uses. The rules as they are will likely see to it that we're gonna see M-B ahead of M-B powered teams with an occasional Renault/Ferrari/Honda between them.

But imagine it happens, and that 5 or 6 teams with different kind of engines are indeed competitive against another and create exciting racing and races in which you simply can't predict the winner in advance because of so many competitive drivers and teams.

Would you still not go to such an event to enjoy the racing, even with for your standard boring sounding engines?

Do you honestly accept poor, dull, kind of racing, dominated by one team, or even driver (Ferrari days with MS) only because the sound of the cars was better?

Oh, and before I get the rhetorial question if I would go to races like I described but then with cars powered by the loud V8s of V10s:

No I wouldn't go. Not because I don't want to see such races but because the noise levels of the V8s and V10s were simply too loud for me to reduce them to a level that I can enjoy what I see, no matter how much hearing protection I would apply. It would make me too sick in too short of time to be able to enjoy the racing I could see, how good it may be.

Henri

Henri, 

I understand where you are coming from. But what does engine noise got to do with boring racing?

We still can have great racing with unrestricted V8s, or V10s..They just have to limit the aero, limit the brake force, go back to manual boxes...and let men, not boys, race F1 cars.,