* * * - - 12 votes

Alonso to Red Bull ?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
770 replies to this topic

#51 Asterion

Asterion

• 549 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 14:21

One thing is for sure : the Ferrari ship is sinking fast at the moment.

Advertisement

#52 Blackmore

Blackmore

• 152 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 14:25

He should try get Rosberg's seat because the Mercedes is the fastest car now and should be next season too.

#53 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,120 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 14:25

No no no no no no no no no Alonso will ruin Red Bull like he ruined Ferrari and McLaren. Most overrated driver on the grid.

This, basically.

You two should go and lecture the team bosses and F1 pundits, they obviously need somebody like you to explain to them how ignorant they are when it comes to F1 drivers.

#54 2ms

2ms

• 2,212 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 14:28

IDK what to make of this. yes, Alonso is frustrating as seeing yet again the title slip away to RBR and VET. Yes, he would like to win it with Ferrari. No, I would never see him accepting to drive alongside VET, especially since he has RBR in his pocket. To those saying VET will switch to Ferrari, why would he do that? VET doesn't care about proving himself in a slower car, that much is a given. All he cares about is winning everything left and right.

As to the Kimi to Ferrari stuff, he has a better shot at the title at Lotus. While he's indifferent to his past at Ferrari, I don't think Luca will share his feelings. After all, he was the one that bought his contract just to bring Alonso in.

Santander bought the contract.

#55 chrisj

chrisj

• 586 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 14:29

1.) Red Bull doesn't need Alonso. 2.) Alonso would never agree to a strong teammate after 2007 fiasco. 3.) Vettel is not stupid enough to leave the best team to go to Ferrari. He can have his pick of teams when he's ready.

#56 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 14:29

Not really. Unless Ferrari have been able to develop and winner into a turd.
How far back do we have to go to see another example of an early WCC contender become a midfielder by midseason? It can't be all the car.

Anyhow, Alonso to Red Bulls seems entirely far fetched for plenty of reasons.

How many season did we see where the tire specs changed completely during one season?

#57 rmac923

rmac923

• 439 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 14:37

I think it's more likely that we see Alonso and Kimi at Ferrari that Alonso at Red Bull.

LdiM will just make up some BS about how Ferrari was right in keeping Massa in 2010. (Not ethical to kick out the injured driver).

#58 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 9,963 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 14:39

Why did Massa finish so far back from Alonso then?

Alonso is clearly better than Massa.

#59 Mr.Wayne

Mr.Wayne

• 572 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 14:40

He's such a perfect Ferrari driver though... what if... it was a straight swap between Vettel and Alonso?

I think that, if true, is along those lines.

Vettel is (likely to be) going to Ferrari either 2016 or 2017. Both Vettel and Ferrari have been flirting publicly about this for a few years, and the timing with Vettel's new contract on RedBull adds fuel to the fire.

Alonso would not accept to be paired with a strong driver (and the links of him vetoing a Vettel move, plus his sudden change of tone, suggest that Ferrari decided to remind him that they have been spending way more money with him than they did with Raikkonen, and yet they have got NOTHING to show in what it is their 4th year together).

So, Vettel moving to Ferrari... where should Alonso go? There is a natural seat opening at RBR, and if Riccardo is going there next year, then it is likely there will be no top driver on that team for 2016 (once Vettel likely leaves).

Once again, if it is true that Alonso was asking about a drive with RedBull, it was for him to replace Vettel once Sebastian has gone to take Ferrari back to championship glory.

Advertisement

#60 Mr.Wayne

Mr.Wayne

• 572 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 14:41

How many season did we see where the tire specs changed completely during one season?

Right... because before today, Ferrari was setting the world on fire!

#61 MP422

MP422

• 1,940 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 14:42

No no no no no no no no no Alonso will ruin Red Bull like he ruined Ferrari and McLaren. Most overrated driver on the grid.

You have got it backwards !!!

#62 jokuvaan

jokuvaan

• 4,063 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 14:44

If Ferrari has a windtunnel issue then they wont have a champion car next year.

#63 kimster89

kimster89

• 631 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 14:45

Vettel would be insane to go to Ferrari right now, coz at the moment all what Ferrari has to offer to seb is remarkable history and past glory. Either way i think its bollocks rumour. Fernando is really desperate if he wants to go in Vettels Jaws

#64 JaredS

JaredS

• 1,142 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 14:53

The only way Vettel and Marko would allow this, is if the team was setup to screw over Alonso like Dennis did at McLaren. Alonso's not going to fall for that again.

Sure, the only way Alonso could lose is if there was a conspiracy against him. No way it's possible for him to lose in a fair fight.

"Piquet, go crash on that wall"
"Felipe, Alonso is faster than you"
*cough cough*

Your post perfectly proves an earlier point I had made that all driver's have the same range of fans - the good, the bad and the ugly.

#65 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 6,030 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 15:34

Vettel (with a smile on his face) I would rather have Kimi than Alonso as my team mate .
- I have nothing against Fernando as driver, I respect him a lot but I respect Kimi in and outside of the track and he has always been honest and fair towards me, from that point of view, I think it could be a bit easier with Kimi.

Edited by Vesuvius, 28 July 2013 - 15:37.

#66 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 15:42

Why would Alonso want to be a Multi 21 bitch?

The media fabricating BS again.

This is nothing more than Sainz Jr. manager asking Red Bull for a chance at their No. 2 slot for his driver.

Edited by fabr68, 28 July 2013 - 15:42.

#67 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,028 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 15:48

But Sainz is sponsored by Red Bull so that conversation would be with Marko?

He had a drive in the red bull car, so it isn't like there is nothing at all to talk about. They don't only speak of drives and deals - it may have been regarding Horner's recommendation regarding a lower formula matter.

Or Alonso may have asked him to feel RBR out... :p

#68 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,028 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 16:14

Vettel (with a smile on his face) I would rather have Kimi than Alonso as my team mate .
- I have nothing against Fernando as driver, I respect him a lot but I respect Kimi in and outside of the track and he has always been honest and fair towards me, from that point of view, I think it could be a bit easier with Kimi.

This is something he actually said or what you suggest he would say?

#69 Lone

Lone

• 659 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 16:42

This is something he actually said or what you suggest he would say?

http://mtv3.mobi/uut...2013/07/1785558

#70 Mr.Wayne

Mr.Wayne

• 572 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 16:44

Nice... Wondering about what bit is he exactly talking about.
Given that they are talking about contract negotiations, I would not be surprised if this relates to Alonso's alleged veto against Vettel at Ferrari.

#71 mardmarium

mardmarium

• 489 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 17:00

It´s interesting to see how several Vettel fans are totally against the possibility of seeing Alonso paired with Vettel. If Alonso is afraid of Vettel, apart from being as overrated as some people here say he is, where’s the problem? This could be the best opportunity for Vettel to show everybody how superior he is. Besides Vettel knows perfectly the team and the car which seems to fit him like a glove.

Considering the above mentioned reasons, Vettel should be totally delighted, and so should be his fans.

On the other hand, I have no idea how Vettel could solve Ferrari problems if he were placed in a Ferrari car. Do I really have to believe that if Alonso goes to RBR and Vettel goes to Ferrari everything would be different for the italian team?

I don´t think Alonso want to go to RBR although I’m sure he isn´t especially happy at the moment. In any case he is a member of the Ferrari team through thick and thin, he decided to join Ferrari and he has an existing contract, I don´t think it would be that easy to terminate that contract. In my opinion, just rumors.

#72 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,778 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 17:28

Alonso denied the talks with a cheeky smile just now on BBC.
Now I'm not so convinced his manager is not looking into possibilities. However small.

Edit: And Horner just talked about ''a new opportunity popping up''.

I'm now convinced Alonso wants to go to Redbull.

Edited by Timstr11, 28 July 2013 - 17:32.

#73 Zesus

Zesus

• 330 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 17:33

Even if it's true, I don't think he would have advantage over Raikkonen.

#74 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 17:34

Vettel on BBC saying he'd prefer Kimi.

#75 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,094 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 17:35

You don't say...

#76 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 5,087 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 17:35

Kimi to Ferrari, Alonso to Red Bull?

#77 P123

P123

• 8,500 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 17:37

Alonso denied the talks with a cheeky smile just now on BBC.
Now I'm not so convinced his manager is not looking into possibilities. However small.

Edit: And Horner just talked about ''a new opportunity popping up''.

I'm now convinced Alonso wants to go to Redbull.

I'm not surprised if he wants to drive a Red Bull car (who wouldn't), but would be very surprised if he wishes to go to the Red Bull team with a long established driver who has a close relationship to senior members. He didn't handle such a scenario too well at McLaren. Given how frustrated Webber has been at times then there would surely be some friction not far under the surface with Alonso there.

Edited by P123, 28 July 2013 - 17:38.

#78 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,094 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 17:37

Kimi to Ferrari, Alonso to Red Bull?

Would love to see that happen :up:

#79 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,534 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 17:41

Any driver would, I imagine.

Hope its not true. Ferrari would be screwed.

Advertisement

#80 MMandi

MMandi

• 137 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 17:41

Ha interesting how there's always something to talk about in the summer break, would be a stunning twist for Fernando to end up at Redbull though and add all kinds of spice for next year

#81 SanDiegoGo

SanDiegoGo

• 527 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 17:48

Vettel would be insane to go to Ferrari right now, coz at the moment all what Ferrari has to offer to seb is remarkable history and past glory.

I fixed this for you ;)

Hamilton would be insane to go to Mercedes right now, coz at the moment all what Mercedes has to offer to Lewis is remarkable history and past glory.

circe 2012. do you see?

Anyway, this move is just Alonso basically telling Ferrari to pull their finger out or he's off.

Edited by SanDiegoGo, 28 July 2013 - 18:09.

#82 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,094 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 17:52

Comments to BBC - http://www.bbc.co.uk...rmula1/23481965

#83 STRFerrari4Ever

STRFerrari4Ever

• 1,876 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 18:01

Seeing the various interviews on the Beeb half an hour or so ago, for me it seems clear that Alonso is definitely trying to show Red Bull that the vacant seat there appeals to him a great deal and Horner seems to be mulling over this too. However Vettel saying he'd prefer Kimi categorically like that also has to be taken into consideration because would Horner want to risk losing the chance to win WCC if they were to employ Alonso and him and Vettel ended up taking points off each other and the team just descending into chaos much like McLaren in 2007.

One thing is for sure these next 4 weeks will be filled with endless speculation and if indeed RBR announce who their 2nd driver for 2014 will be in Spa, everyone will be waiting with baited breath. I think the announcement might come a bit later than Spa personally.

#84 superdelphinus

superdelphinus

• 1,413 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 18:09

It doesn't matter what Horner thinks very much I wouldn't have thought. That team is there to promote the red bull brand. Vettel and alonso would be a massive wet dream in terms of marketing

#85 pRy

pRy

• 10,966 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 18:10

He didn't mince his words either. Pretty much came straight out and said he doesn't get along with Alonso and would not want to be in the same team as him. Brought Kimi's name up without prompting which was also interesting.

So that rules out Alonso at Redbull, unless Vettel decides to move to Ferrari. Can't see that happening.

#86 AlainProstX

AlainProstX

• 307 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 18:19

Alonso would not accept to be paired with a strong driver (and the links of him vetoing a Vettel move, plus his sudden change of tone, suggest that Ferrari decided to remind him that they have been spending way more money with him than they did with Raikkonen, and yet they have got NOTHING to show in what it is their 4th year together).

When will this nonsense stop?

Alonso joined a Ferrari team in which Massa dominated Raikkonen, on and off the track. Just reread Alonso vs Massa 2010 pre season threads.

#87 F1Champion

F1Champion

• 2,925 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 18:19

Interesting that Alonso waited this late to go to RB. Maybe it had something to do with the last couple of GP's and Ferrari's inability to respond to RB development.

I honestly don't blame Alonso...BUT 2010 and 2012 were last race losses, so Ferrari can't be blamed too much. Maybe Ferrari could have done better in 2012 but Alonso should have more WDC than now.

#88 pUs

pUs

• 2,543 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 18:23

Alonso joined a Ferrari team in which Massa dominated Raikkonen, on and off the track. Just reread Alonso vs Massa 2010 pre season threads.

I don't agree on that 'dominating' part. Beaten in the 2nd part of the 2008 seaon, yes. But by no means dominated.

#89 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,925 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 18:25

It will never stop. There is also the story that Alonso was quite prepared to welcome Kubica to the team to consider.

#90 Mr.Wayne

Mr.Wayne

• 572 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 18:27

You mean, the same Massa who was not even deemed fit to race again by the time he was confirmed as Alonso's teammate?
The same Massa that got the green light from the team in December, after the team fired Raikkonen?
The same Massa for whom Ferrari hired Fisichella, and kept him alive as a driver for 2010 in case he (Felipe) would prove not fit to race?
The same Massa who was asked to move away while leading the race, on almost the anniversary of the horrific accident that almost costed him his life?
The same Massa who kept his seat in Ferrari,while Raikkonen was paid to leave by Alonso's sponsor?

And are you talking about the same Alonso who had his management stating very clearly that had he known that Hamilton was going to be allowed to race him on equal footing, he would have never gone to McLaren?

Or the same Alonso that is being talked about in this BBC article?

http://www.bbc.co.uk...la-one/21305374

But sources close to Ferrari now say the Spaniard and the team renegotiated their agreement towards the end of last season and that one of Alonso's demands was that they not sign Vettel alongside him.

Yeah... Wonder why people consider that Alonso would not want a strong driver next to him.. :rolleyes:

#91 Risil

Risil

• 14,161 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 18:28

Please please please make this happen F1 Zeus

#92 mardmarium

mardmarium

• 489 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 18:29

Anyway, this move is just Alonso basically telling Ferrari to pull their finger out or he's off.

I agree with this.

I don´t think Alonso wants to go to Red Bull under “certain circumstances” (whatever this circumstances could be) and as I said previously, it won´t be easy to terminate his contract. Besides, I’m thinking that Alonso is a good friend of Webber and the Australian doesn´t seem to be especially happy with his team lately.

Apart from that, Vettel wasted no time to say he prefers Kimi (basically to say that he doesn´t want Alonso as teammate, which is quite interesting) and I’m sure that his opinion is seriously taken into account.

#93 Risil

Risil

• 14,161 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 18:30

So that rules out Alonso at Redbull, unless Vettel decides to move to Ferrari. Can't see that happening.

Unless Horner wants to hire Alonso as revenge for Malaysia 2013.

#94 st99

st99

• 379 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 18:33

I think Vettel would prefer Kimi over Alonso, but not because their driving capacity but for their off-track behaviour.
He knows that if Alonso ends up in Red Bull the relationship would be like the one with Webber now or even worse and it's obvious that he's tired of it and knows that with Kimi the relationship outside the track would be far easier.

#95 kimister

kimister

• 1,009 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 18:33

No way! My feelings say that Red Bull is using Alonso factor to make Kimi sign the contract :cool:

#96 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 2,363 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 18:36

Alonso puts pressure on Ferrari to get their act together (as if they needed reminding). Red Bull puts pressure on Raikkonen to accept their offer. So far there doesn't seem to be much more to this story.

#97 OldSoldier2

OldSoldier2

• 144 posts

It doesn't matter what Horner thinks very much I wouldn't have thought. That team is there to promote the red bull brand. Vettel and alonso would be a massive wet dream in terms of marketing

And the marketing angle reminds me of the Hamilton/Alonso ad from 2007. Poor Mika was there too.

For McLaren that season was more of a nightmare than a wet dream. And the one to blame wasn't Lewis.

Edited by OldSoldier2, 28 July 2013 - 18:37.

#98 EvanRainer

EvanRainer

• 1,364 posts

I think Vettel would prefer Kimi over Alonso, but not because their driving capacity but for their off-track behaviour.
He knows that if Alonso ends up in Red Bull the relationship would be like the one with Webber now or even worse and it's obvious that he's tired of it and knows that with Kimi the relationship outside the track would be far easier.

Obviously. Alonso hasn't exactly given Vettel any reason to like him has he? In fact, he has gone out of his way to make sure he gives no credit or respect to Vettel.

#99 STRFerrari4Ever

STRFerrari4Ever

• 1,876 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 18:37

Also could it be that Alonso can see that Ferrari may not win a title anytime soon and going to RBR is potentially his last genuine chance of becoming a 3x WDC which he craves greatly.

Advertisement

#100 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,925 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 18:39

Or the same Alonso that is being talked about in this BBC article?

http://www.bbc.co.uk...la-one/21305374

So, what is Alonso's current contractual position then? Could it be that he is free to leave if they sign Vettel? That is another scenario that fits with the article you have quoted even though you don't seem to have considered it. If so, this might all make a bit more sense.