Mercedes 2014 car

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Huambo81a

Huambo81a

• 112 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 20:46

Hi guys, genuine question.

Since Lewis signed for Mercedes there has always been the idea in the background that it was because of the potential of the 2014 car. All of the pundits have been reciting this line, parrot fashion.

My question is. Why is this important? Why does the media seem to assume that the 2014 Merc will be a challenger? Going on this years form it's highly possible that next years car will be a good'un, but there are no certainties with such a radical rule change.

So who started the "next years Merc will be a beast" argument.

Advertisement

#2 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,727 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 20:48

It's a poor assumption based on many thinking Merc will have the best power unit.

#3 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 20:57

Out of all the manufacturers in F1

Renault
Ferrari
Mercedes

I'd say it is Renault with the most experience with small block Turbos (discounting Cosworth due to budget)
Just a pity BMW didn't decide to enter as just a engine supplier :-(

#4 Huambo81a

Huambo81a

• 112 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 20:59

It's a poor assumption based on many thinking Merc will have the best power unit.

That's what I figured. Truth is its seems they may well be on top of the aero, but no one knew that before the season started

I HOPE they have a quick package, but the media is pushing certainty.

#5 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,621 posts

To add to Clatter's point the assumption is Ross Brawn will also produce a good car as historically he has made good use of rule changes (see 2009) and most thought this year's car would be awful and they'd give up on it early doors to focus on the W05.

#6 2ms

2ms

• 2,212 posts

I think it's based on that Mercedes has buying up engineering talent like no one else in F1 the last couple seasons. It usually takes a couple years for that to pay off. But only a couple.

#7 Huambo81a

Huambo81a

• 112 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 21:02

I think it's based on that Mercedes has buying up engineering talent like no one else in F1 the last couple seasons. It usually takes a couple years for that to pay off. But only a couple.

That's a good point, but I remember the SKY pundits talking as if it is a forgone conclusion, personally I would say the chance that Merc will make a good car next year is as likely as any key else. Who thought this years MP4-28 would be such a mess?

#8 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 21:04

Who thought this years MP4-28 would be such a mess?

Yeah but only Mclaren have Whitmarsh.

#9 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,991 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 21:57

My question is. Why is this important? Why does the media seem to assume that the 2014 Merc will be a challenger?

It's because 2014 will be a restart year when every team starts from zero unlike 2013 which is a continuation of Red Bull's dominate years of 2010, 2011 and 2012. Merc's performance this year is just a bonus. Their hiring spree the past years have been for 2014. Basically Ross Brawn could aim to pull another 2009 i.e allocate unimaginable resources towards exploring technical solutions and inventions for a new era of regulation change.

#10 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 21:58

I think a lot of it was Brawn using the argument to lure Lewis, saying that among the Mercedes-powered teams the manufacturer team would enjoy various insights and earlier data than their customer teams. That'll be especially true vis a vis McLaren now they've gone for Honda.

On top of that since the current engines were homologated there's been a constant campaign by Horner and Monty claiming that their engines weren't as good and it just wasn't fair.

And KERS is a bigger factor next year and Mac/Merc's was much the best to start with.

#11 danmills

danmills

• 3,169 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 22:30

At the final Barcelona test in March, all talk surrounding 2014 was about Mercedes.

The phrase 'they will walk it' was quoted in countless variations by so many different photographers and media guys in conversation.

Looking at their development this year, I'd love it to be so!