LdM very angry

Advertisement

#2 mick1

mick1

• 22 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 16:26

http://formula1.ferr...i-doesnt-sit-me

LdM very angry

That was a reference to the latest comments from Fernando Alonso, which did not go down well with Montezemolo, nor with anyone in the team. So, when Montezemolo called the Spaniard this morning to wish him a happy birthday, he also tweaked his ear, reminding him that, “all the great champions who have driven for Ferrari have always been asked to put the interests of the team above their own. This is the moment to stay calm, avoid polemics and show humility and determination in making one’s own contribution, standing alongside the team and its people both at the track and outside it.”

Alonso has been doing that for the last 4 years. Does LdM expect that sort of behaviour for eternity or something while his team continue to serve up rubbish?

#3 st99

st99

• 385 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 16:29

I don't know if there's something true about this Alonso-Red bull but Montezemolo's words today about Alonso surprised me.

From Ferrari's own website:

However, there is a need to close ranks, without giving in to rash outbursts that, while understandable in the immediate aftermath of a bad result, are no use to anyone.

That was a reference to the latest comments from Fernando Alonso, which did not go down well with Montezemolo, nor with anyone in the team. So, when Montezemolo called the Spaniard this morning to wish him a happy birthday, he also tweaked his ear, reminding him that, “all the great champions who have driven for Ferrari have always been asked to put the interests of the team above their own. This is the moment to stay calm, avoid polemics and show humility and determination in making one’s own contribution, standing alongside the team and its people both at the track and outside it.”

#4 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,902 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 16:30

Pretty unfair comments by Ferrari, not only they do it in public, they do it on his birthday!.

#5 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 16:35

Alonso has been doing that for the last 4 years. Does LdM expect that sort of behaviour for eternity or something while his team continue to serve up rubbish?

Well, yes, he does. MS had a similar dry spell, when he joined Ferrari. I could agree the circumstances are not the same, but still. That is what he expects, yes.

#6 Motorbreath

Motorbreath

• 230 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 16:39

Pretty unfair comments by Ferrari, not only they do it in public, they do it on his birthday!.

Yes, something is very wrong with this Ferrari to go public with this, just not right. :down: When Vettel goes crazy they sort this things behind closed doors...

Also, what were Alonso's comments that made Montezemolo angry? Since Alonso joined Ferrari he did nothing but support the team whole the time, even when they give him a car that is not capable of winning for 3 years.

Edited by Motorbreath, 29 July 2013 - 16:43.

#7 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 16:41

Alonso flirting with Horner, Montezemolo criticising Alonso. Something is afoot me thinks, i can't recall anyone from Ferrari uttering even one bad word about Alonso since he joined, is this another "A truck would be easier to drive" moment?

#8 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 16:43

I don't know if there's something true about this Alonso-Red bull but Montezemolo's words today about Alonso surprised me.

Lol.

Like Fred will give a ****. He has only ever looked after numero uno to the point of cheating and attempted blackmail...... he also knows he will always get a job somewhere half decent.

If anything - such talk from LdM being publicised will make the situation worse when it comes to Fred.

It's popcorn time :smoking:

#9 swerved

swerved

• 3,895 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 16:44

Alonso flirting with Horner, Montezemolo criticising Alonso. Something is afoot me thinks, i can't recall anyone from Ferrari uttering even one bad word about Alonso since he joined, is this another "A truck would be easier to drive" moment?

LdM: "Happy Birthday Fernando, what would you like ?"

FA: "An RB9 please"

#10 Junky

Junky

• 815 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 16:47

During the 1996-1999 years how many times did you heard Schumacher argue against the team in public?

Edited by Junky, 29 July 2013 - 16:48.

#11 Motorbreath

Motorbreath

• 230 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 16:54

During the 1996-1999 years how many times did you heard Schumacher argue against the team in public?

Most of the people didnt have internet back then so we dont know :lol:

#12 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,621 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 16:55

This is really hotting up - http://www.autosport...t.php/id/109095

The old adage - 'no-one is bigger than the team'

#13 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,921 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 17:01

This is really hotting up - http://www.autosport...t.php/id/109095

The old adage - 'no-one is bigger than the team'

Maybe, but unless they swoop for Vettel at enormous expense I think it unlikely that Alonso is going to be subjected to a Prost moment.

#14 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,754 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 17:08

I don't think Alonso will necessarily take too well to the words from LdM.
...If he's pissed off I can certainly see him and his managers go all out to sway Red Bull, but I don't believe in it yet.

#15 Massa

Massa

• 10,115 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 17:09

Pretty fair comment for me. I don't know where is the problem.

#16 V3TT3L

V3TT3L

• 1,681 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 17:09

The Ferrari boss was Jean Todt and not Stef Domenicalli :rolleyes:

#17 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 17:10

Exactly. Like I said earlier, my take on the situation was "Alonso tried to put pressure on Ferrari by initiating a link with Red Bull. Look, if you don't do something about this situation, I may jump ship. It was so obvious and you can see why it would be intentional. Alonso's manager going to Red Bull in a GP weekend in public eyes to Red Bull motorhome and talking to Horner (instead of young driver programme related Marko or DM). You could sense the pressure in yesterday's Domenicalli's words also. This is the time for Alonso to work with engineers and team. This is a risky move by Alonso which could alienate him from the tifosi. And Red Bull have exploited the situation fully and exposed this to public. I suspect they are the ones who gave the insider-details to those German sites. I don't think Red Bull is that dirty to cook a story. But once a chance came along, they seem to have played amok with it." LdM's statement confirm just that. No point dismissing this as Sainz thing, Red Bull cooking up story, etc.

Agree with some posters who say that Alonso won't take LdM's words that well. When things go wrong, it could unravel mega-fast when it comes to Alonso. He would go mad. I think this is a nice popcorn saga for the summer break.

Edited by SpaMaster, 29 July 2013 - 17:16.

#18 redreni

redreni

• 4,709 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 17:11

Maybe, but unless they swoop for Vettel at enormous expense I think it unlikely that Alonso is going to be subjected to a Prost moment.

He‘s propping Ferrari up at the moment. Montezemolo may be over-reacting here. Although, to be fair, I don‘t think the rebuke is really about Alonso‘s comments, which as far as I‘m aware were uncontroversial, but about Alonso‘s manager being photographed with Christian Horner.

#19 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,921 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 17:13

...If he's pissed off I can certainly see him and his managers go all out to sway Red Bull, but I don't believe in it yet.

These things are best resolved in private, particularly if they are a response to comments Alonso made privately to the team (and the site does specifically refer to "comments"). What possible good comes out of that Horse Whispering nonsense? I can't see anything particularly disruptive in Alonso's public post-race comments so it must be something said in the garage.

Even Michael Schumacher flirted with the idea of leaving Ferrari at one time. The drivers wouldn't be doing themselves justice if they weren't open to other offers. It's not like Vettel has ever categorically denied the likelihood of moving to Ferrari eventually.

Edited by wj_gibson, 29 July 2013 - 17:15.

Advertisement

#20 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,961 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 17:15

Oh dear. All does not appear well at Ferrari.

#21 Massa

Massa

• 10,115 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 17:17

Exactly. Like I said earlier, my take on the situation was "Alonso tried to put pressure on Ferrari by initiating a link with Red Bull. Look, if you don't do something about this situation, I may jump ship. It was so obvious and you can see why it would be intentional. Alonso's manager going to Red Bull in a GP weekend in public eyes to Red Bull motorhome and talking to Horner (instead of young driver programme related Marko or DM). You could sense the pressure in yesterday's Domenicalli's words also. This is the time for Alonso to work with engineers and team. This is a risky move by Alonso which could alienate him from the tifosi. And Red Bull have exploited the situation fully and exposed this to public. I suspect they are the ones who gave the insider-details to those German sites. I don't think Red Bull is that dirty to cook a story. But once a chance came along, they seem to have played amok with it." LdM's statement confirm just that. No point dismissing this as Sainz thing, Red Bull cooking up story, etc.

I think Horner and Red Bull are fantastic. I don't think Alonso rumor at Red Bull is truth, but they see the chance to trouble Ferrari and they take it and it work.

Really, Red Bull 2010 - nowaday is Ferrari 1999 - 2007.

#22 Les

Les

• 2,116 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 17:17

Crikey. That was some article on the Ferrari website. They are beginning to sound more and more like the pre-Todt, pre-Schumacher mess of politics and in-fighting.

#23 kimster89

kimster89

• 1,413 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 17:18

If LdM and Ferrari gave this statements on the Fernandos ****in Birthday pretty serious shitstorm must have happend at ferrari this weekend. The least we can say is, that the love between ALO and Ferrari isnt that harmonic anymore.

#24 muelte

muelte

• 931 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 17:25

Where are Alonso's supposed declarations aguing agains his team? All he did was not commenting about those RB rumour, because in his own words "summer break is very long for journalists".

He has declared lots of times he is happy at Ferrari, and he will stay with them until his contract ends and probably longer... So, what's LdM angry about? He should start tweaking other's ears, Stefano's for example.

#25 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,754 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 17:26

These things are best resolved in private, particularly if they are a response to comments Alonso made privately to the team (and the site does specifically refer to "comments"). What possible good comes out of that Horse Whispering nonsense? I can't see anything particularly disruptive in Alonso's public post-race comments so it must be something said in the garage.

Even Michael Schumacher flirted with the idea of leaving Ferrari at one time. The drivers wouldn't be doing themselves justice if they weren't open to other offers. It's not like Vettel has ever categorically denied the likelihood of moving to Ferrari eventually.

Yes, totally agree, I can't see that Alonso has said anything controversial in public atleast, and that's why I think he may not take this too well. Maybe there's some rapture going on at Ferrari.

(...though I wonder if bringing Carlos Sainz with him when talking to Horner, was A, because he really was talking about Sainz Jr., or B, it was purely tactical, in that he was there to fool everyone, and that he really was there on behalf of Alonso? It's always a bit strange when they have these chats with cameras all around.)

#26 kimster89

kimster89

• 1,413 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 17:26

If i were LdM i would kick out Stefano, Felipe, Alonso and Fry, then i would search for 500 millions and summon Vettel, Raikkonen, Brawn and Newey in a meeting and ask them what can i do to lure them to Ferrari.

#27 Massa

Massa

• 10,115 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 17:29

Alonso made a huge mistake, the car is slow, Ferrari is in trouble, and he let his agent talk to Horner. This chance is take by Horner now, to trouble Ferrari. I think it's why LDM is angry, it's because Alonso management talk to Red Bull. Even if it's for Sainz, for Red Bull, it was easy to take that to trouble Ferrari.

I think it could be a turning point on the relationship between Ferrari and Alonso.

I don't think Hakkinen management, during 98-2000 fight, could talk like that with Ferrari, even for a young driver. Imagine Ron Dennis reaction ?

#28 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,146 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 17:32

I've split this topic from the Ferrari topic and will be pulling comments from the other threads where this discussion is taking place.

#29 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,921 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 17:32

Alonso made a huge mistake, the car is slow, Ferrari is in trouble, and he let his agent talk to Horner. This chance is take by Horner now, to trouble Ferrari. I think it's why LDM is angry, it's because Alonso management talk to Red Bull. Even if it's for Sainz, for Red Bull, it was easy to take that to trouble Ferrari.

I think it could be a turning point on the relationship between Ferrari and Alonso.

I don't think Hakkinen management, during 98-2000 fight, could talk like that with Ferrari, even for a young driver. Imagine Ron Dennis reaction ?

Yeah, but if Alonso's management also represents other drivers who are in the Red Bull development programme then the fact of Abad speaking to Horner isn't in and of itself a reason to go and hang someone.

I mean, Hamilton openly went to speak to Red Bull in person at Montreal, then revealed a load of McLaren telemetry to the world and I didn't see McLaren's website sandblasting him.

So this would suggest that something a bit more substantial than this is up at Ferrari.

#30 four1

four1

• 507 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 17:33

On the contrary, I think this will bring about some positive things. Alonso will see the light and realize that he doesn't come ahead of Ferrari.

You might recall that Schumacher tried to put himself above the team when he acted like he wasn't ready to come back to the Malaysia GP after he broke his leg. He didn't want any part of helping Irvine winning a championship ahead of him at Ferrari. I recall that LdM called MS and reminded him who the boss was and obligated him to come back to race. Things didn't turn out too badly at all after that. Ferrari and MS went on to win 11 consecutive/concurrent championships (WDC & WCC) over the next 6 seasons. Ferrari happy, MS happy, everybody happy.

#31 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,754 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 17:33

If i were LdM i would kick out Stefano, Felipe, Alonso and Fry, then i would search for 500 millions and summon Vettel, Raikkonen, Brawn and Newey in a meeting and ask them what can i do to lure them to Ferrari.

Why haven't anyone thought of this before?? :eek:

Edited by race addicted, 29 July 2013 - 17:34.

#32 Massa

Massa

• 10,115 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 17:34

Yeah, but if Alonso's management also represents other drivers who are in the Red Bull development programme then the fact of Abad speaking to Horner isn't in and of itself a reason to go and hang someone.

I mean, Hamilton openly went to speak to Red Bull in person at Montreal, then revealed a load of McLaren telemetry to the world and I didn't see McLaren's website sandblasting him.

So this would suggest that something a bit more substantial than this is up at Ferrari.

Mclaren website say nothing, but i don't think in the team the relationship was good between Hamilton and Mclaren. It was very cold.

#33 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,921 posts

Why hasn'tanyone thought of this before?? :eek:

I doubt Newey and Brawn will ever work together. Newey is the kind of character who insists of being left alone to do his work (which was part of the reason he wanted out of McLaren) and I can't see Brawn taking that approach.

#34 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Fire yourself?

#35 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,921 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 17:35

Mclaren website say nothing, but i don't think in the team the relationship was good between Hamilton and Mclaren. It was very cold.

I'm sure that was the case, but that was my point - it isn't a good idea to be doing this in public.

#36 Stephan

Stephan

• 1,165 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 17:36

Possibly Fernando spewed some harsh criticsm internally, which we never even heard of?

Really strange to tell him off like this.

#37 Zesus

Zesus

• 958 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 17:36

:up:

#38 Burtros

Burtros

• 3,330 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 17:37

Has anyone got a link to what Alonso said please?

#39 st99

st99

• 385 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 17:37

I just read on Autosprint that apparently Alonso said that he wanted another car as a birthday present (they seem to think he was refering to a RB)

Advertisement

#40 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,754 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 17:38

On the contrary, I think this will bring about some positive things. Alonso will see the light and realize that he doesn't come ahead of Ferrari.

You might recall that Schumacher tried to put himself above the team when he acted like he wasn't ready to come back to the Malaysia GP after he broke his leg. He didn't want any part of helping Irvine winning a championship ahead of him at Ferrari. I recall that LdM called MS and reminded him who the boss was and obligated him to come back to race. Things didn't turn out too badly at all after that. Ferrari and MS went on to win 11 consecutive/concurrent championships (WDC & WCC) over the next 6 seasons. Ferrari happy, MS happy, everybody happy.

Schumacher was a much more slick, thinking and analytical character. I see Alonso as a much, much more hot-blooded guy, with a more "spontaneous" mood.

#41 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,414 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 17:39

Fernando was asked after the race what he wanted for his birthday. He replied "Red Bull RB9"

http://autosprint.co...ta-alonso/9252/

Edited by CrucialXtreme, 29 July 2013 - 17:41.

#42 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,921 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 17:39

No one's saying anything.

The article does not specify the comments in question. But there is little in Alonso's post-race comments to the press that suggest anything especially undue (saying the team needs to improve significantly over the summer break is hardly beyond the pale, we all know it's true anyway), so something must have been said privately.

#43 MMandi

MMandi

• 137 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 17:40

They're probably feeling the pressure, surprised it's so public though.

#44 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,621 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 17:42

Perhaps this? - http://www.bbc.co.uk...rmula1/23481965

#45 Massa

Massa

• 10,115 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 17:42

I'm sure that was the case, but that was my point - it isn't a good idea to be doing this in public.

I understand your opinion but for me i don't see the problem. I'm LDM, i would be pissed of to learn before the race, that the managment of my first driver, have talk with the " ennemy ".

Hey, Red Bull want to have a new driver for next year and you have Alonso management in Red Bull hospitality.... And the Ferrari car is **** since 2010.. Seriously, i would be mad if i was LDM, IMO, Alonso made a mistake. It was not the right moment to talk with Red Bull.

#46 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,414 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 17:43

No one's saying anything.

The article does not specify the comments in question. But there is little in Alonso's post-race comments to the press that suggest anything especially undue (saying the team needs to improve significantly over the summer break is hardly beyond the pale, we all know it's true anyway), so something must have been said privately.

Yes the article does specify what he said. Today's edition of Gazzetta says the same thing about Fernando saying he wanted a Red Bull

#47 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,921 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 17:44

Yes the article does specify what he said. Today's edition of Gazzetta says the same thing about Fernando saying he wanted a Red Bull

The Autosprint one does say that (and no one had linked to it when I made that comment) - when I said "the article" I meant the one that appeared on Ferrari's website.

#48 JimiKart

JimiKart

• 457 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 17:45

Ferrari has been serving up **** for years now and FA's support is waning... I'll bet he has a performance clause and the truth is that if he wanted to he could leave after this season... no other reason for Luca to speak up, fred never mentioned a "truck" did he?

#49 Massa

Massa

• 10,115 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 17:46

I understand your opinion but for me i don't see the problem. If i was LDM, i would be pissed of to learn before the race, that the managment of my first driver, have talk with the " ennemy ".

Red Bull want to have a new driver for next year and you have Alonso management in Red Bull hospitality... And the Ferrari car is **** since 2010.. So the first thing you think, it's " damn, my driver want to leave because he is tired to fight like that since 2010 "

Seriously, i would be mad if i was LDM, IMO, Alonso made a mistake. It was not the right moment to talk with Red Bull, if he want to stay at Ferrari.

#50 TecnoRacing

TecnoRacing

• 1,796 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 17:46

What a completely bizarre press release - sounds like it was written by LdM, but in the third person...