* * * * - 30 votes

Kimi to Ferrari?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4013 replies to this topic

#601 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 514 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 23:46

When Kimi was at McLaren, Nascar trucks ,WRC ,and now at Lotus I've been a fan.Those years in the red car I loathed him. When he spun at Spa racing Hamilton, and when he ran over the curb and crashed at Shanghi I came outta my seat in joy. Please don't go back to the evil empire KR, you're too fun to root for. RB is the seat to have.

Advertisement

#602 AyrtonSauna

AyrtonSauna

• 425 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 00:00

Maybe when Allison went back to Ferrari, he told them Raikkonen is better than Alonso and they should get him back.

It's fun to speculate and maybe Allison just wants to work with Alonso because their names are so similar but more likely because he helped make cars that Alonso won consecutive WDC at Renault.

But the real fact is he has worked with both Kimi and Alonso so there is already a strong connection with both which is really positive.If he made great cars with Lotus's relatively small budget and staff then he could do even more at Ferrari.

He would have only positive things to say about Kimi for sure but Ferrari already knows what Kimi can do.

#603 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 3,164 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 00:26

Those years in the red car I loathed him. When he spun at Spa racing Hamilton, and when he ran over the curb and crashed at Shanghi I came outta my seat in joy. Please don't go back to the evil empire KR, you're too fun to root for. RB is the seat to have.

I agree, I was very much a Kimi fan when he raced for McLaren but stopped supporting him and even starting rooting against him when he drove for Ferrari only to support him again when he started racing for Lotus. I guess that says more about my dislike for Ferrari politics over the years (especially during the Schumacher era) than about Kimi. I wouldn't mind seeing Kimi in a Red Bull although I would prefer Kimi to beat Red Bull in a Lotus since they are more underdog.

Edited by William Hunt, 06 August 2013 - 00:27.

#604 Totall73

Totall73

• 147 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 00:33

Correction to my earlier comment:

I believe Kimi has already decided, but it's in the hands of the lawyers to work out every small detail before it can be signed.

I also believe that´s the case. Technically Kimi knows where he´s going to drive but all the small details must take a huge amount of time. After all, those are the things that people start to look at for example in a situation Kimi found him self in with Ferrari in 2009.

#605 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 514 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 00:56

I agree, I was very much a Kimi fan when he raced for McLaren but stopped supporting him and even starting rooting against him when he drove for Ferrari only to support him again when he started racing for Lotus. I guess that says more about my dislike for Ferrari politics over the years (especially during the Schumacher era) than about Kimi. I wouldn't mind seeing Kimi in a Red Bull although I would prefer Kimi to beat Red Bull in a Lotus since they are more underdog.

Exactly.

I do however love their road cars. So much so I had a dream the other night I was driving an F40. :)

#606 V3TT3L

V3TT3L

• 1,681 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:38

http://www.jamesalle...f1-credibility/

Monzezemolo also used the interview to reiterate that he felt he needed to intervene and publicly tick off Fernando Alonso because of “some attitudes, a few words, some outbursts..”
'There has been a feeling recently that Alonso was running the show and this episode may well be aimed at recalibrating things at Maranello. It’s a calculated strategy, Montezemolo knowing that Red Bull is unlikely to take Alonso and there is nowhere else for him to go.'

'There has been speculation about an offer to Kimi Raikkonen, as a possible hedge against a fall out with Alonso, but its unlikely that he would go there to partner the Spaniard.'

Edited by V3TT3L, 06 August 2013 - 05:39.

#607 Kimione

Kimione

• 7 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:49

Kimi will just want the best car and will have a better idea than us which car it's likely to be.Allisons or Neweys maybe even McLaren but I doubt he would go back there and no room at Merc.

No room at Mercedes? What if Nico goes to pair Alonso at Ferrari?

#608 bourbon

bourbon

• 6,078 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:56

With Kimi anything is possible. And a move back to Ferrari would certainly fit the "some people might think this is crazy" or whatever he said along those lines.

Whatever - like all Kimi fans, we just wander around the paddock - and beyond - following him whereever he might go...

#609 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:15

With Kimi anything is possible. And a move back to Ferrari would certainly fit the "some people might think this is crazy" or whatever he said along those lines.

Whatever - like all Kimi fans, we just wander around the paddock - and beyond - following him whereever he might go...

:lol: seriously :p? I'm interested in him as a driver, as long as he is in F1 :]

Edited by Shiroo, 06 August 2013 - 06:15.

#610 kimster89

kimster89

• 617 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:10

This is a looooong shot, but maybe Kimi signed back in 2009 with Ferrari, that after 2 years sabbatical, for which he was payed, he comes back with another team and if his results are good enough Ferrari is obligated to give him the seat back?

#611 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 3,143 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:57

This is really a nonsense story. Just Kimi playing hard ball with Red Bull, as Red Bull played hardball with Kimi with all the Fernando talk. Kimi isn't going to ferrari, Fernando isn't going to Red Bull next year. All just chat to strengthen bargaining positions and unsettle rivals thrown into the mix. I think we can close the thread now.

#612 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,023 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:01

What is the point of this post,in the context of Kimii to Ferrari?

If you go to page 14 on this thread, you'll find out how we ended up talking about this - in a nutshell, Winter gave an opinion as to which message from Ferrari to Alonso could be read if Raikkonen eventually joined the team, and the "best driver" voting came up in that line of discussion.

#613 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,529 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:40

I find the Autosport cover story on Massa admitting he's in a battle to retain his seat next year, interesting. Normally Felipe is always talking confidently about being retained at Ferrari and how there are ALWAYS rumors about him being axed, etc. This time, he's acknowledging that the Fat Lady is warming up unless he improves. To me, that gives more credence to the Kimi to Ferrari stories. I think Kimi back with the Reds will be good for BOTH Alonso and Ferrari. Another reference to where the car is, different suggestions on how/where to improve performance, and give the team the two most reliable point scorers in the game. Really hope it happens. :)

#614 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 3,164 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 15:22

Massa admitting he may not stay could also mean that there is more credence to Bianchi or Hülkenberg joining Ferrari. In fact Ferrari has been praising Bianchi quite a lot lately.

#615 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,980 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 16:04

Again, as with the 'Alonso to Red Bull? thread, this is getting a bit bogged down in places in just arguing who's a good driver and who isn't. Back to arguing the thread topic a bit more directly, please.

#616 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,019 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:04

Is the whole Lotus $120M in debt thing a new factor that fans the flames?

I saw stuff in that thread that Kimi has said he may have to skip races due to lack of payment.

#617 bourbon

bourbon

• 6,078 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:37

I have to imagine that the $120 Lotus debt is a factor in Kimi negotiating for vacant seats in good cars with money behind them, whereever they might be and that could include Ferrari.

The idea of Kimi back at Ferrari does not excite - but in the end, you cannot second guess Kimi, no matter how many excellent reasons you come up with for gauging what he might do. So you just have to go with the flow.

#618 Totall73

Totall73

• 147 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:01

This is a looooong shot, but maybe Kimi signed back in 2009 with Ferrari, that after 2 years sabbatical, for which he was payed, he comes back with another team and if his results are good enough Ferrari is obligated to give him the seat back?

Let me get this right: Ferrari in 2009: "We have a new sponsor now. We´re sorry, but we need to keep Massa because Brazilia is an important market for us and when Alonso comes next year alongside with the Santander deal, you must leave. However, if you choose not to drive in F1 next year, we will pay you your salary for 2010. You can then take 2 years sabbatical and then first return to another team for 2 years and THEN, if we think you are still good enough, you could join Ferrari again in 2014. How does this sound to you? Should we put it here in our contract?"

Kimi in 2009: "Of course I´m not satisfied that I have to leave, but it sounds fair to me to come back in five years. So, I hope to see you again in 2014".

:stoned:

Edited by Totall73, 09 August 2013 - 09:05.

#619 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 1,283 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:04

i'd much rather him beat Ferrari in a Red Bull or Lotus.

Edited by MikeV1987, 09 August 2013 - 09:05.

Advertisement

#620 2ms

2ms

• 2,212 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:46

I think it's probably a bad idea for him to go to Ferrari because I think LdM will always dislike him for not licking ass as much as Ferrari drivers are supposed to. It might not affect him during the first season or two, but he'll receive the traditional LdM "f you very much" goodbye treatment the same as he did in '08 and '09 as soon as Vettel becomes available.

But it will be great for F1 fans next season. I expect to be in stitches watching the hysterics of Alonso-fans as their prima donna gets dissected bit by bit by "the blonde" until there's nothing but a husk of a former champion left by the end of the season.

Edited by 2ms, 09 August 2013 - 09:47.

#621 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,023 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:51

I think it's probably a bad idea for him to go to Ferrari because I think LdM will always dislike him for not licking ass as much as Ferrari drivers are supposed to. It might not affect him during the first season or two, but he'll receive the traditional LdM "f you very much" goodbye treatment the same as he did in '08 and '09 as soon as Vettel becomes available.

But it will be great for F1 fans next season. I expect to be in stitches watching the hysterics of Alonso-fans as their prima donna gets dissected bit by bit by "the blonde" until there's nothing but a husk of a former champion left by the end of the season.

Keep on dreaming...

#622 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 2,399 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:58

Boullier optimistic Raikkonen will stay with Lotus

“I’m very optimistic,” Boullier told the August edition of the JA on F1 podcast. “There is a lot of discussion in the press, most of it is irrelevant. It is all about making Kimi comfortable enough to stay and happy to stay. Part of it is done.

“He knows the team and the environment. Now it’s about building up the right package. He will then take his decision.”

jamesallenonf1.com

#623 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,190 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 13:04

Is Boullier as optimistic as he was about a new main sponsor and so on? I'm beginning to think that in Lotusish language, 'being optimistic' actually means 'when pigs fly'

#624 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 2,399 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 13:17

Is Boullier as optimistic as he was about a new main sponsor and so on? I'm beginning to think that in Lotusish language, 'being optimistic' actually means 'when pigs fly'

Yup. I don't trust Boullier's words anymore, he was promising a lot of things, but he was just blowing hot air. He was denying Allison's leave when the rumors started, then it was revealed that he handed in his letter of resignation months before that. This "confidence" he declares in Raikkonen staying could also be a smokescreen to pressure Infinity sponsorship and convince them that he's actually staying. It could be a lot of things. With this guy, you never know.

#625 Pitlane

Pitlane

• 433 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 19:57

Come on now, hes saying what he has to say at this point. What did you expect?!? "Yeah, im not sure he wants to stay with us as theres better options available." That would help the situation alot sorting deals sponsors..

Basically it means nothing but him doing what he is supposed to be doing

#626 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,799 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 20:12

Come on now, hes saying what he has to say at this point. What did you expect?!? "Yeah, im not sure he wants to stay with us as theres better options available." That would help the situation alot sorting deals sponsors..

Indeed, it was same thing back in 2006 when Dennis was saying the same that Kimi would stay with them etc...yet he knew for quite sometime that he was leaving to Ferrari.

Kimi could still stay with Lotus..despitate all the rumours in media.

Edited by Vesuvius, 09 August 2013 - 20:12.

#627 Trust

Trust

• 3,170 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 20:42

Whatever happens this is the golden opportunity to recover his reputation. I would love him more to go to RB and challenge Vettel, but also don't mind if he goes to Ferrari. This time I'm sure he'll know how to get the team on his side after previous experience.

I want to see how he stacks against Fernando.

#628 2ms

2ms

• 2,212 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 20:46

I don't think people think he should tell the entire truth and nothing but the truth so help him God. But he could say nothing. Nobody's going to want to enter into a business contract with someone they can't trust. I can hardly think of a single thing that Boullier has said, going all the way back to when he first started as TP, that wasn't basically a lie. Most people running billion-dollar companies aren't idiots. It isn't a coincidence Lotus can't get a sponsor to save their life.

#629 DrF

DrF

• 1,395 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 20:49

Indeed, it was same thing back in 2006 when Dennis was saying the same that Kimi would stay with them etc...yet he knew for quite sometime that he was leaving to Ferrari.

Kimi could still stay with Lotus..despitate all the rumours in media.

I doubt it. He wants to win and he needs to earn what he can while he has the opportunity. Red Bull is an option, but will they pay more for him than Vettel ? Doubt it. Ferrari have a fast car, lots of dosh and Allison. Fernando respects Kimi and has been publicly chastised by Da Boss, so the chances of Kimi being forced to play second fiddle are no worse than at Red Bull.

Ferrari have seen what he can do and they must realise that the only way they are going to get another WCC is by having two strong drivers and harmony in the team. Let's just hope that they listen to him.

Edited by DrF, 09 August 2013 - 20:55.

#630 2ms

2ms

• 2,212 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 20:59

I want to see Kimi win the WDCs he should with all his talent and racecraft. And I think LdM still doesn't like him (personally, not professionally) and would rather not have him in the team if he weren't so desperate for Ferrari to start winning again. Because of the way LdM treats drivers (not just Kimi with Santander but also Schumacher even, who he liked much more than Kimi), I think Kimi would be stupid to go there. And also I think Newey does better with rule changes than Ferrari does so I think RBR will be better equipped than Ferrari for WDC next year. So I would rather he not go to Ferrari.

However, I think Kimi has already signed for Ferrari and am basically 100% confident he will outperform Alonso right out of the gate next season. Kimi is underrated and Alonso is an overrated prima donna. In that one sense, it will be a real treat to see him driving at Ferrari next season.

#631 Jape65

Jape65

• 57 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 05:36

I want to see Kimi win the WDCs he should with all his talent and racecraft. And I think LdM still doesn't like him (personally, not professionally) and would rather not have him in the team if he weren't so desperate for Ferrari to start winning again. Because of the way LdM treats drivers (not just Kimi with Santander but also Schumacher even, who he liked much more than Kimi), I think Kimi would be stupid to go there. And also I think Newey does better with rule changes than Ferrari does so I think RBR will be better equipped than Ferrari for WDC next year. So I would rather he not go to Ferrari.

However, I think Kimi has already signed for Ferrari and am basically 100% confident he will outperform Alonso right out of the gate next season. Kimi is underrated and Alonso is an overrated prima donna. In that one sense, it will be a real treat to see him driving at Ferrari next season.

I also believe that Kimi and Ferrari has already concluded an agreement for the period 2014. However, I think that Kimi just genuinely wants to drive a Ferrari, because I think his work there was a little short. Okay, Lucan, and Kim's relationship might not be perfect, but there is a chance that they will improve. What is the most important thing Kimi has not reviewed Ferrari time a negative at all, it means a lot of Maranello.

#632 Lone

Lone

• 629 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 06:20

I would also like to see Kimi vs. Fernando at Ferrari but I believe it would be a very even match up. In My opinion they are the two best drivers on the grid and it's a coin toss who will come out on top.

Edited by Lone, 10 August 2013 - 06:33.

#633 DrF

DrF

• 1,395 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 06:39

It will be a formidable pairing. I don't really care which one of them wins, they are both relatively weak in quali compared to their race performance and they both play the long game, so pretty evenly matched.

#634 ardbeg

ardbeg

• 956 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:03

It will be a formidable pairing. I don't really care which one of them wins, they are both relatively weak in quali compared to their race performance and they both play the long game, so pretty evenly matched.

I think they are both strong qualifiers that make decent compromises in car setup for qualifying and race. If they ditch the parc fermé rules, you would see a difference.

#635 Antonov

Antonov

• 558 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:24

Whatever happens this is the golden opportunity to recover his reputation

didn't he already recover it? :-)

#636 Fortymark

Fortymark

• 5,755 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:25

If he´s going back to Ferrari, is he allowed to bring his race engineer Mark Slade with him this time..? :rolleyes:

#637 Jape65

Jape65

• 57 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:36

If he´s going back to Ferrari, is he allowed to bring his race engineer Mark Slade with him this time..? :rolleyes:

It's definitely Kimi's one of the conditions to sign the agreement. Mark Slade and Kimi are acting duo.

#638 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 2,555 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 08:35

I would also like to see Kimi vs. Fernando at Ferrari but I believe it would be a very even match up. In My opinion they are the two best drivers on the grid and it's a coin toss who will come out on top.

Actually the answer is Lewis Hamilton to the question of the best driver on the grid even though he has a little more British anxiousness than them. Kimi's composure is something extra special.

#639 DrF

DrF

• 1,395 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 08:49

Actually the answer is Lewis Hamilton to the question of the best driver on the grid even though he has a little more British anxiousness than them. Kimi's composure is something extra special.

Statistically it's Vettel, but never mind.

Advertisement

#640 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,799 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:19

That must be one of the key questions as the first time Ferrari didn't allow Slade to join them.

#641 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 2,814 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:33

I think there's a reasonable chance atm that we will either see SV vs. KR, FA vs. KR or SV vs. FA next year, any of which will be the best pairing in a long long time to watch. I'm glad whatever of these turns out to become true!

Edited by Jovanotti, 10 August 2013 - 09:33.

#642 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,799 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:39

I think there's a reasonable chance atm that we will either see SV vs. KR, FA vs. KR or SV vs. FA next year, any of which will be the best pairing in a long long time to watch. I'm glad whatever of these turns out to become true!

If any will become true...anyway Horner didn't mention Alonso on latest interview at gpupdate site, he only did speak about Kimi and Dan there, so don't is he really a candidate for Red Bull or not.

#643 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 2,399 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:40

The more time passes without any announcements and the less news we get regarding negotiations, the more I believe Lotus will retain Kimi. It will be a huge anti-climax if you consider what's been boiling on these forums in the last couple of months.

#644 Jape65

Jape65

• 57 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:46

The more time passes without any announcements and the less news we get regarding negotiations, the more I believe Lotus will retain Kimi. It will be a huge anti-climax if you consider what's been boiling on these forums in the last couple of months.

ha ha ha ... will not be the first nor the last time. :lol:

#645 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,799 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:46

Could be but then again Red Bull already said announcement is at spa or monza not before and we know Ferrari usually announces drivers at monza...and Kimi's contracts always are announced very late....so things haven't lasted any longer than excpected. Anyway the recent rumour still some of the finnish,italy and german reports claim Kimi-Ferrari is done deal...hope not unless Red Bull deal is not possible anymore.

#646 Oho

Oho

• 7,506 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:10

Well if there is truth behind stories of financial dire straits at Lotus, retirement may well be the more viable option than staying put.

Edited by Oho, 10 August 2013 - 10:11.

#647 Trust

Trust

• 3,170 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 11:01

didn't he already recover it? :-)

For me personally, he didn't have to recover it ever, but for other people he still has to.

Edited by Trust, 10 August 2013 - 11:01.

#648 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 2,399 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 11:40

I reckon Kimi will make the least appealing decision to his fans like in 2009. He had options at Mercedes and McLaren that year, and he picked rallying. I feel the same will happen this season - he has options at Red Bull and Ferrari, and will pick the least sensible decision: Lotus.

I believe that Ferrari DID offer him a seat, and I believe Red Bull ARE trying hard to get him, but in the end it's always whatever HE wants to do, despite his managers trying to talk him into better deals, higher salaries, etc. And if Lotus signs the Infinity deal, he'll want to stay there because it's a better environment.

Edited by Cyanide, 10 August 2013 - 11:42.

#649 Jape65

Jape65

• 57 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 11:48

I reckon Kimi will make the least appealing decision to his fans like in 2009. He had options at Mercedes and McLaren that year, and he picked rallying. I feel the same will happen this season - he has options at Red Bull and Ferrari, and will pick the least sensible decision: Lotus.

I believe that Ferrari DID offer him a seat, and I believe Red Bull ARE trying hard to get him, but in the end it's always whatever HE wants to do, despite his managers trying to talk him into better deals, higher salaries, etc. And if Lotus signs the Infinity deal, he'll want to stay there because it's a better environment.

hmm ... you forget that Kim hoped to get a rally racing season. Ferrari seems to be the only one to agree to such a thing.

Edited by Jape65, 10 August 2013 - 11:48.

#650 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 2,604 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 11:54

Ferrari will give both drives to Massa. It wouldn't surprise me, he must have compromising photos of the whole Ferrari factory.