* * * * - 30 votes

Kimi to Ferrari?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4013 replies to this topic

#101 ardbeg

ardbeg

• 886 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 13:29

Same here. The second he struggled with Ferrari it was Kimi isnt disciplined enough or these developments suit Massa fine therefore Kimi should be able to drive them fine like in 2008. Then when Massa goes out Kimi suddenly finds form when Ferrari have to put their eggs in his basket. Please.

Maybe they learned something? The way Kimi performed compared to Fisi and Badoer should have opened the eyes of anyone.

Advertisement

#102 V3TT3L

V3TT3L

• 1,681 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 13:30

Same here. The second he struggled with Ferrari it was Kimi isnt disciplined enough or these developments suit Massa fine therefore Kimi should be able to drive them fine like in 2008. Then when Massa goes out Kimi suddenly finds form when Ferrari have to put their eggs in his basket. Please.

That myth has fallen a long time ago.
Last race of instance, 50ºC race and Kimi fought hard to the end holding RB/Vettel on very shot tires.

Edited by V3TT3L, 31 July 2013 - 13:40.

#103 Trust

Trust

• 3,160 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 13:32

Simply because he has finished 38 races in a row and 28 in a row to points, no one has never has that kind of period and maybe never will.Kimi also doesnt really make any mistakes, his only big one was at melbourne qualifying 2012.

No, that wasn't his mistake, it was team's fault. His biggest mistake was spin in Suzuka qualifying.

#104 Miggeex

Miggeex

• 446 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 13:37

Simply because he has finished 38 races in a row and 28 in a row to points, no one has never has that kind of period and maybe never will.

And I'm quite sure that this will be the last chance to hire him ever. Last chance to get huge amount of fans to your team + almost guaranteed points :D

#105 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,469 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 13:38

Why is kimi the most wanted guy all of a sudden ??? :rolleyes:

--
My First post :love:

(i) He might be available.
(ii) Contrary to a lot of what is said on these boards, drivers like Massa and Webber are hard to replace (particularly if you want to strengthen rather than weaken the team). A couple of years ago, there were rumours of Jenson to Ferrari or Red Bull, or Webber to Ferrari. It was the same idea, to put someone quick, experienced, consistent and imperturbable in your "second" car. It helps greatly with the WCC, and it gives a second possibility for the WDC. The imperturbable part is important, and with both Jenson and Kimi being WDCs, it is more difficult for the team-mate to pull rank.

#106 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,469 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 13:39

Maybe they learned something? The way Kimi performed compared to Fisi and Badoer should have opened the eyes of anyone.

That also put Massa in a very positive light.

#107 ardbeg

ardbeg

• 886 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 13:47

That also put Massa in a very positive light.

Maybe. Or Ferrari's treatment of Kimi in a bad light. He never liked the way they developed the front. In a car that has an unsensitive front, he is a pretty average driver.

#108 K-One

K-One

• 5,906 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 13:50

Anthony Hamilton in Maranello

http://www.repubblic...nello-64036272/

#109 Darkmninya

Darkmninya

• 39 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 13:50

Maybe. Or Ferrari's treatment of Kimi in a bad light. He never liked the way they developed the front. In a car that has an unsensitive front, he is a pretty average driver.

hes pretty good darn Driver. Considering he does not use Simulators or any Practise tool, if he would use them he would be bloody fast.

He showed pretty good moves like Spa 2012 .

Raikönnen have now 3 Options:

Ferrari

Red Bull

Lotus

#110 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,469 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 13:51

Maybe, but I still think this experience has cautioned Ferrari against assuming they can drop Massa and get away with putting any young (or old) hopeful in the seat.

#111 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,469 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 13:53

Anthony Hamilton in Maranello

http://www.repubblic...nello-64036272/

[Can't read the link because it is in Italian, so bear with me] Does Anthony manage any drivers these days?

#112 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,118 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 14:02

No, Alonso's deal was signed in 2006 and Kimi was signed in 2005. Back then Kimi thought he would race against Schumacher.

Alonso's deal was signed in december 2005 http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/48728

Raikkonen had not signed an definitive contract with Ferrari at the time, though rumours had already linked him to Ferrari and the story goes that he signed an optional contract for 2007-2009 on August 25, 2005.

#113 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,118 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 14:10

[Can't read the link because it is in Italian, so bear with me] Does Anthony manage any drivers these days?

Paul di Resta, I thought.

#114 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,697 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 14:10

Alonso's deal was signed in december 2005 http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/48728

Raikkonen had not signed an definitive contract with Ferrari at the time, though rumours had already linked him to Ferrari and the story goes that he signed an optional contract for 2007-2009 on August 25, 2005.

No,Kimi signed the deal with Ferrari during summer 2005, sources are Jean Todt and Steve Robertson and The book about Kimi Räikkönen.

#115 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 885 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 14:17

Paul di Resta, I thought.

he did but i thought they split

#116 OSX

OSX

• 4,165 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 14:21

Di Resta. Hamilton Sr was there to talk about him.

#117 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 14:22

It is always flattering to hear Ferrari is interested in Raikkonen. First they dumped him unceremoniously and spent so much money on him for that (to the extent that Raikkonen was the highest paid driver by F1 when he was not driving in F1). Now they are interested in him again. This is one costly indulgence!

It vindicates Raikkonen off any blame Ferrari placed on him at the time of his dumping.

#118 peroa

peroa

• 8,805 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 14:23

diResta is managed by Button's manager.
Hamilton and him split last year.

#119 Sonic2k

Sonic2k

• 62 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 14:24

he did but i thought they split

yes, they split: http://www.f1fanatic...ic-roundup-057/

Advertisement

#120 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 885 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 14:24

diResta is managed by Button's manager.
Hamilton and him split last year.

so they must be talking bout Hamilton, but they also split, maybe Anthony only ordered a car?

#121 Exb

Exb

• 1,015 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 14:25

I think Paul is now managed by the same people as Jenson - The Sports Partnership? I may have the name wrong but I am pretty sure he split with Hamilton Snr last year.

#122 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,107 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 14:27

No,Kimi signed the deal with Ferrari during summer 2005, sources are Jean Todt and Steve Robertson and The book about Kimi Räikkönen.

You both are right. He´s right because at the time it was just a rumour about a precontract, and you´re right because later it was confirmed that the deal was sealed then.

#123 RedKloud

RedKloud

• 17 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 14:50

It would be a nice anticlimax if Kimi and Romain stayed at Lotus and Alonso and Massa at Ferrari. Oh, and RB convinced Webber not to retire after all and to continue pairing Vettel.

The most likely scenario... except for Ricciardo replacing Webber

#124 Cool Beans

Cool Beans

• 1,553 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 15:10

Apparently Kimi's been partying in Helsinki several days straight since monday, doubt he's doing any negotiating at the moment. Maybe he's already signed a contract somewhere?

#125 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,697 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 15:19

Apparently Kimi's been partying in Helsinki several days straight since monday, doubt he's doing any negotiating at the moment. Maybe he's already signed a contract somewhere?

managers will do it, he just says where he wants to drive but I think the deal is done. Where did you here he has been partying? Not that I doubt it..

#126 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 9,727 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 15:25

I don't have a clue, but it's the best silly season ever.

If only Hamilton had waited another year!
Why couldn't he sign a one year stop gap contract!?

#127 Nahnever

Nahnever

• 253 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 15:30

I wouldn't want Hamilton to go anywhere but Mercedes now that we have hindsight. Heck I wouldn't even be sure about Red Bull until we see how the new 2014 season pans out. I think Mercedes is the best place for Lewis to be right now. A Ferrari seat is far too volatile.

#128 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,469 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 15:40

Was anyone offering him one?

#129 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 9,727 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 15:51

Was anyone offering him one?

No idea. I was just wondering the insanity it would have been if suddenly that had happened and he was also directly linked to this suddenly extremely silly season.

#130 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,469 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 15:59

No idea. I was just wondering the insanity it would have been if suddenly that had happened and he was also directly linked to this suddenly extremely silly season.

I think both Mercedes and McLaren wanted a multi-year deal.

#131 ForeverInLoveWithF1

ForeverInLoveWithF1

• 52 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 16:08

It's reported by Bild Zeitung. They have a strong influence on public opinion in Germany, but I wouldn't exactly call them reliable...

Yes, Bild is Bild but the Sport Bild is usually very well informed. There is definitely something going on...

#132 anbeck

anbeck

• 2,021 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 16:17

I don't have a clue, but it's the best silly season ever.

No, there's still some traditional Button-drama missing. Maybe he had signed an option for Ferrari, and now that Ferrari is going downhill, he actually wants to go to Red Bull - and he still has a contract with McLaren!

#133 ForeverInLoveWithF1

ForeverInLoveWithF1

• 52 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 16:24

Simply because he has finished 38 races in a row and 28 in a row to points, no one has never has that kind of period and maybe never will.Kimi also doesnt really make any mistakes, his only big one was at melbourne qualifying 2012.

Don't you think, the very reliable Lotus car has something to do with it? 2012 for example, Vettel was very consistant but didn't finished 2 races because of technical failure. Does it make him less consistant? :)
Kimi was really lucky so far, I think he is the only one top driver without technical DNF.

I remember Kimi talking about his mistakes in many post qualifying interviews...

#134 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,480 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 16:33

Why is kimi the most wanted guy all of a sudden ??? :rolleyes:

--
My First post :love:

He is 2nd in the WDC ranking with a car that is not fast enough to win?

From Kimi's point of view, why would he want back to Ferrari and not Red Bull? Maybe he is more fascinated trying to beat Alonso than Vettel? Or maybe he suspects Renault V6 is not up to it?

I think Kimi has said he reached his target in F1 when he won the WDC. Another wouldn't change much in that respect, the competition and racing for win is the main thing maybe?

#135 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,107 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 16:33

Don't you think, the very reliable Lotus car has something to do with it?

Indeed: that made it possible. He did the rest by avoiding any race ending mistake or any big underperforming weekend.

2012 for example, Vettel was very consistant but didn't finished 2 races because of technical failure. Does it make him less consistant? :)

No, the times he got away with it despite contact with others does.

Kimi was really lucky so far, I think he is the only one top driver without technical DNF.

Indeed, he´s been lucky in that respect.

I remember Kimi talking about his mistakes in many post qualifying interviews...

Only him and Sebastian seem to be men enough to call a average lap just what it is afterwards. But that doesn´t mean they do it more often.

The record means not too much for me, but if you don´t get there without being flawless wheel to wheel for ages and perfect reliability. It´d have been SO easy to turn in on someone just once...

#136 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 16:38

I haven't posted here in forever! But this bit is weird enough that pulled me right back in!!!

If this is true, it completes the circle of Raikkonen redemption. He comes back, drives exceptionally well, then the very team that bought him out of the sport is brought to it's knees and asks him back. If I was Kimi, I'd feel very, very good.

I'm not going to say this can't happen, because Kimi is one who doesn't let his heart get in the way of his thinking, so, whatever happened in the past, business is business, and if re-joining Ferrari makes business sense to Kimi, then, he would accept regardless of the past I believe. However, for Ferrari to make "business" sense for him, it would have to be the sweetest deal, and I can't see Ferrari making such a sweet deal for Kimi. Considering Ferrari isn't exactly doing so great as far as performance goes, they would have to outbid whatever RBR and Lotus are willing to offer. In the case of RBR the bid is a winning car + great atmosphere + a teammate who actually gets along REAL well with Kimi + enough money to pay Raikkonen's market value (whatever that may be at the moment) which considering that at this particular moment in time Raikkonen is one of the best 4 drivers in the grid, I would say it's quite high. I would say that's a pretty tough offer to match for Ferrari right there. Ferrari can offer a car which at the moment stands as the third best car, and car that he can beat with his current Lotus + a horrible atmosphere for him + politics + bad chemistry + an acid-like teammate + enough money to pay Raikkonen market value plus whatever they feel necessary to lure Kimi to this terrible situation. Granted, all drivers grow up with the dream of one day driving for Ferrari, but, in Kimi's case it's "been there, done that, actually got a title in the process" so, he's already had the Ferrari experience, so, that cliche that all drivers want to one day drive for Ferrari does not apply in this particular case. So, how would Ferrari actually lure Kimi in? I can't see it realistically happen.

Has anybody linked Kimi to Merc yet? Wouldn't that be a good match? No offense to Rosberg, but, if there's offers by top teams other than Lotus and RBR then Merc could potentially be one?

#137 Kraze

Kraze

• 63 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 16:38

looks like Alonso has vetoed on Kimi and Massa is apparently safe again thanks to Alonso. :)

Massa safe again

#138 ForeverInLoveWithF1

ForeverInLoveWithF1

• 52 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 16:39

Do you really compare the performance of the regular driver with the performances of the test driver and the driver from a different team who didn't know the car before? :)

#139 ForeverInLoveWithF1

ForeverInLoveWithF1

• 52 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 16:47

He is 2nd in the WDC ranking with a car that is not fast enough to win?

From Kimi's point of view, why would he want back to Ferrari and not Red Bull? Maybe he is more fascinated trying to beat Alonso than Vettel? Or maybe he suspects Renault V6 is not up to it?

I think Kimi has said he reached his target in F1 when he won the WDC. Another wouldn't change much in that respect, the competition and racing for win is the main thing maybe?

Is the E21 really not fast enough to win? I recall Kimi saying the opposite at least few times.

Advertisement

#140 starp

starp

• 74 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 16:49

Anyone know if Ferrari ever had a driver leave and then come back before?

#141 ForeverInLoveWithF1

ForeverInLoveWithF1

• 52 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 16:52

Indeed: that made it possible. He did the rest by avoiding any race ending mistake or any big underperforming weekend.

That's right, of course. All I wanted to say was, without a reliable enough car you can do nothing, even if you are the best of all.

#142 maverick69

maverick69

• 4,390 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 16:53

Berger

#143 Laffite

Laffite

• 202 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 16:55

Is the E21 really not fast enough to win? I recall Kimi saying the opposite at least few times.

Yep.
A better call in Nurburgring and a Grosjean's style qualifying in Hungaroring would have put him to some 15 points behind Sebastian.

And now heading to Kimi favourite track
A fifth win on the horizon
I bet all Ferrari tifosi are supporting Kimi to WDC now (like me!)

If if if....

#144 l8apex

l8apex

• 197 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 17:15

If Ferrari loses Alonso, the best lineup available to them is Kimi / Hulkenberg.

Either way they need to ditch Massa.

#145 OnTheLimit

OnTheLimit

• 42 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 17:20

It's so ridiculous I almost want it to happen, although I'm pretty confident the Ferrari isn't going to be the car to beat next year (most likely the RBR or the Merc), and Alonso is the worst possible team-mate you can have (if indeed the move is just to replace Massa and Alonso isn't off to RBR). So it wouldn't be the right move for "my" driver at all. But, f*ck it. The allmighty self-appointed arrogant owners of F1 pleading to hire back the champion driver they sacked at the price of a small country's GDP just a few years earlier? Yes please. :lol:

This :up:

Great, we were long overdue another scandal... and looks like Kimi will be laughing all the way to the bank regardless of which scenario plays out ... now, even his pension will be paid, not to mention long term sponsorship agreements for his own team. The guy can only drive but also run circles around team leaders as far as his business sense. I nominate him to replace Bernie when he retires as well :p ...

And this :lol:

#146 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,469 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 17:27

Mario Andretti - albeit the comeback was for just two races. Clay Reggazoni too IIRC, and Berger as has been mentioned already.

#147 Lone

Lone

• 603 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 17:39

If Ferrari loses Alonso, the best lineup available to them is Kimi / Hulkenberg.

I believe Ferrari might loose Alonso if they are trying to get Kimi otherwise not. I don't believe that Alonso is necessarily afraid of teaming up with Kimi but will see it as not getting the "love" he deserves.

#148 intelligentsia

intelligentsia

• 2,357 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 17:42

Don't you think, the very reliable Lotus car has something to do with it? 2012 for example, Vettel was very consistant but didn't finished 2 races because of technical failure. Does it make him less consistant? :)

Lotus has done a good job, they provide Kimi with a very reliable car. But Kimi has also had a few technical issues luckly they just didn't result in a race ending. But Kimi himself is also good with staying out of trouble. Of course there are other driver who is also consistent.

Kimi's mistakes in qualifying is a slide here and there where he would lose ten or two. Kimi is very strict on himself he doesn't like to make any mistakes. All of drivers do this in qualifying, you even see it often in pole laps, but not all of drivers discuss it openly.

#149 Cool Beans

Cool Beans

• 1,553 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 18:05

managers will do it, he just says where he wants to drive but I think the deal is done. Where did you here he has been partying? Not that I doubt it..

I saw some pictures on facebook.

#150 RaikkonenZn

RaikkonenZn

• 151 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 18:20

The other drivers are car-breakers! Only Kimi can manage his car to perfection preventing any technical problems!