Photo

Archie White

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ed holly

ed holly

• 387 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 02:38

Sadly have to report that Archie White passed away on Wednesday.

Archie was the Shell representative in Motorsport in the 1960s based here in Sydney and will be well known to many who competed in that era.

Advertisement

#2 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,257 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 03:42

Ed, when I posted about poor Archie's death, I asked if someone who could give more detail than myself could start a thread about him.

We still need that detail.

Archie was, as the man in charge of retail sales, at the head of Shell's racing interests, as you say, during the sixties. He remained there through the seventies (I had personal contact with he and Jim Simpson then as a part of the NSW Clubman Racing Association, whose series they sponsored) and he was still there into the eighties.

Archie backed KB in F5000, for instance, along with a number of others. But his lifelong interest in the sport was probably better shown by his enthusiasm for the AARC, he being at the head of that organisation in its final decade or so.

Edited by Ray Bell, 08 August 2013 - 22:48.

#3 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,257 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 22:47

Today Archie will be laid to rest...

This is from former AARC member Charlie Jardine:

Archie White.

Unfortunately Archie White passed away a few days ago.

We will honour him at his funeral at Rookwood South Chapel at 1.30pm on Friday 9th August 2013.

Archie has been part of the Australian motor sport scene for longer than many of us can remember, being an integral part of the whole AARC experience, Mileage Marathon and in later years the historic movement.

As Mr Shell, he was everywhere - who will not recall his bluff friendly way of welcoming anyone he knew. Never too busy to say hello and offer a friendly word.

He told us he should have gone before his lovely wife Mary, and recently I saw a man often lost but who would not burden anyone with his loneliness.

A man who never dwelt on his own frailties, he will be remembered as one of the most approachable players in many an older driver's motor sport past.

Never down, always up, he supported so many in so many ways.

Archie, you are a great loss to the decency and generosity of our lives.

I for one, will always remember you and your ebullient ways.

Rest in peace good man.

My Best Regards
Charles Jardine

Ed, I gather you want to contact me. My e-mail address is below.

#4 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,410 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:10

A small - but illustrated - death notice.

#5 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,257 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:35

Just so it's here for anyone to see:

Posted Image

Max Stahl tells me it was a pretty good funeral, lots of appropriate words said by various speakers, a good crowd.

Did anyone here go? Greg?

#6 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,257 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:28

I've received from Bob Young a copy of an article written about Archie by David McKay at the time of Archie's retirement...

Click on this thumbnail to open it: kj1f.jpg

Bob will be sending me some more stuff soon...

Edited by Ray Bell, 07 September 2013 - 11:31.

#7 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,127 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 21:58

I haven't noticed any mention of Archie White's 'Neptune' connection....does anyone remember?

Ray, you have an email.

#8 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,257 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 13:41

Bob came good with this today:

kleq.jpg

It's Archie's farewell as Chairman of the AARC a little more than two years after his retirement from Shell.

The enthusiasm he held for racing and the pleasure he derived from his involvement is clearly seen in his words on this page.