Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Montezemolo speaks again (attacks everything & everyone)

• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#1 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,875 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:55

http://formula1.ferr...rk-ferrari-fans

Advertisement

#2 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:07

Comes across as a rather long-winded set of excuses.

#3 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:15

I love reading Di Montezemolo. Even as someone who wants to see Ferrari win, it's highly entertaining. Perhaps it's an Italian way of phrasing, I don't know, but it's always a joy to read. That said, he has made so many empty threats over the years, mostly concerning Ferrari leaving the sport, that it's hard to take them- and by extension, him - too seriously.

#4 apoka

apoka

• 5,878 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:18

"Drivers, we’ve had a lot, some very good, some great, but drivers come and go, while Ferrari remains."

#5 GodHimself

GodHimself

• 402 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:19

Pride comes before fall.

GodHimself

#6 dau

dau

• 5,373 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:33

Doesn't look to me like he's attacking anything, anyone.

#7 rasul

rasul

• 1,952 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:39

"Drivers, we’ve had a lot, some very good, some great, but drivers come and go, while Ferrari remains."

On this, I fully agree with LdM.

“Fernando has given a lot in these last years and I repeat, his disappointment, which came about mainly after Silverstone, where all of us expected to be more competitive, is understandable. But I didn’t like some attitudes, a few words, some outbursts. And I said so…I reminded everyone, including the drivers, that Ferrari comes before everything, the priority is the team.

It seems Alonso and LdM's relationship deteriorated after Silverstone.

#8 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,340 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:41

Yeah, two world champions in the last 34 years. Great eh?

#9 handel

handel

• 445 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:44

This kind of hyperbole and grandiose writing is why I really can't get on with Ferrari. They view themselves as greater than life itself and just repeatedly get lost in the romantic element of their brand. Sorry but it sounds like badly written Shakespeare for the most part.

Still, they've ensured they are in the news for the long break and that's exactly what they want - to appear like the backbone of F1.

#10 tokyonagaremono

tokyonagaremono

• 98 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:53

Luca is talking out of his rear end. Alonso has done for Ferrari these past few years exactly what Hamilton did for McLaren - flatter their cars and help maintain the team's dignity. Alonso would be better off following Hamilton by cutting his losses and moving to fresher pastures.

#11 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:59

LdM did a mistake in speaking out against Alonso. It is another matter whether he is right or wrong about his impressions on Alonso. You should know the character that you are dealing with. Alonso just does not react well to those kind of things, hence as a team boss you don't do that. It is one of those things where the incompatibility between the parties shows up. Ferrari being the be-all and end-all of all of it and Alonso is certainly not one who thinks of Ferrari as like that. I would say this is poor management by Ferrari.

#12 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 2,823 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:13

This kind of hyperbole and grandiose writing is why I really can't get on with Ferrari. They view themselves as greater than life itself and just repeatedly get lost in the romantic element of their brand. Sorry but it sounds like badly written Shakespeare for the most part.

Still, they've ensured they are in the news for the long break and that's exactly what they want - to appear like the backbone of F1.

Bear in mind that this is a report of an interview that LdM gave to the Sports Editor of the Corriere della Sera. It was presumably conducted in Italian and this is a translation of it - by someone with a rather overblown writing style but probably not LdM himself. I don't speak Italian but it is possible that the original Italian text would come across as less pompous.

I have to admit that the "Drivers, we’ve had a lot, some very good, some great, but drivers come and go, while Ferrari remains." reminded me of "My Way": "Regrets, I've had a few, but then again, too few to mention."

#13 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:17

Yeah, two world champions in the last 34 years. Great eh?

And four in the last 36. :drunk: Or, in other words, six out of the last fourteen championships.

Ferrari's performance in recent years might not be great, but selective statistics sure are.  ;)

#14 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,939 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:18

Comes across as a rather long-winded set of excuses.

Ferrari down to a T, then.

#15 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 2,823 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:34

And four in the last 36. :drunk: Or, in other words, six out of the last fourteen championships.

Ferrari's performance in recent years might not be great, but selective statistics sure are. ;)

Or another way of looking at it would be - more WDCs (and WCCs) this century than any other team

#16 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:43

Ha, I love Monty's sense of his own importance.

And these motivational speeches are so effective. I just know all the staff must love them

at Lotus, Mercedes, Red Bull,... :D

#17 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,340 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:50

Ferrari's performance in recent years might not be great, but selective statistics sure are. ;)

Love the irony in that statement.
How about 5 in 50 years and some would say that two of those were lucky.

#18 JimiKart

JimiKart

• 457 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:52

Luca = idiot. If the thinks a piss-poor car will satisfy FA and that FA should sit back and wait he's wrong, and he'll lose Alonso as soon as options appear for him.

Luca should wake up and think about recent history, one where his team couldn't buy a win for so many decades, right now Ferrari sucks and Fred is right to be looking elsewhere, sure Ferrari can wait for another title but why they don't understand FA can't wait is beyond me.

#19 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:53

As already mentioned, it is a long list of excuses. The main reason Ferrari is on the slope for years now is LdM himself. Theatrical and grandiose reactions, no solution. Isn't there somebody young and compatible with the 21st century that can take over at the helm? The guy is starting to come off as a fossil by now, plus he is starting to remind me of Paul'bounce back' di Resta. I've done everything right, and you all let me down. Knives for present huh? Send him an axe in return.

Advertisement

#20 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,966 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:04

Well said by Luca. He's been around the block long enough to know of what he speaks.

#21 starp

starp

• 74 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:11

Luca = idiot. If the thinks a piss-poor car will satisfy FA and that FA should sit back and wait he's wrong, and he'll lose Alonso as soon as options appear for him.

Luca should wake up and think about recent history, one where his team couldn't buy a win for so many decades, right now Ferrari sucks and Fred is right to be looking elsewhere, sure Ferrari can wait for another title but why they don't understand FA can't wait is beyond me.

What options are there for FA? They need to make it work.

#22 JimiKart

JimiKart

• 457 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:16

What options are there for FA? They need to make it work.

Every option is open to FA, there isn't a single team that wouldn't negotiate if he said he was interested. I'd bet Ferrari has failed to meet the performance clauses in Fred's contract and that he's free to move, no other reason Luca would lose it so badly.

#23 EthanM

EthanM

• 4,819 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:19

Every option is open to FA, there isn't a single team that wouldn't negotiate if he said he was interested. I'd bet Ferrari has failed to meet the performance clauses in Fred's contract and that he's free to move, no other reason Luca would lose it so badly.

Mercedes is out, cause Hamilton is there. McLaren is out unless Ron suddenly quits and moves to to I don't know Papua. Red Bull *might* talk to him but no way would they pay him anywhere near what Ferrari pays him, plus I don't see them really wanting to upset a good thing they got (with Vettel). So that leaves Lotus.

#24 starp

starp

• 74 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:24

It's true that Lotus is ahead of Ferrari in the championship which implies that it's the better team. Maybe Enstone is FA's best bet.

#25 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,991 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:38

Luca sounds very butt hurt. Ferrari's performance has been dire the past 18 months. Ferrari were only able to contend for WDC due to rivals' bad luck and this year rivals are performing better while Ferrari is nowhere in the headlines. Instead of bickering and cursing the world he should be scrutinising his own team. Unlike Lotus, Mclaren and Mercedes they have done a terrible job at catching up with Red Bull and have chosen to retain Massa which terrible cripples the team's WCC hopes.

#26 Smile17

Smile17

• 1,153 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:40

Mercedes is out, cause Hamilton is there. McLaren is out unless Ron suddenly quits and moves to to I don't know Papua. Red Bull *might* talk to him but no way would they pay him anywhere near what Ferrari pays him, plus I don't see them really wanting to upset a good thing they got (with Vettel). So that leaves Lotus.

Truth is always different.

#27 muramasa

muramasa

• 8,479 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 13:03

On my PC, Ferrari's news page always has this bar thing for those SNSs in the middle left, that's very very disturbing for reading. :mad:

I hope Luca do sth about it.

Edited by muramasa, 03 August 2013 - 13:03.

#28 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 13:35

If you say Alonso did nothing for Ferrari, just look up the WDC positions of the second driver in his stint. compared to MSC or Kimi´s stint at the team.

#29 starp

starp

• 74 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 13:47

If you are LdM right now, then maybe you are looking at that your new driver (FA) is behind your old driver in the championship (KR), you are seeing that your old driver is still the current champion at Ferrari, you are seeing that your old driver is beating his teammate by a larger margin than your current driver is beating his, you are seeing that your current driver makes more crashes/dnfs than any of the other leading drivers. But despite the many things to be quiet about, you see that he talks in the press more than any of the drivers. Moreover, that he talks primarily about how bad Ferrari is.

There is a perspective by which LdM's loss of patience makes some sense.

#30 sheepgobba

sheepgobba

• 1,124 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 13:51

If you are LdM right now, then maybe you are looking at that your new driver (FA) is behind your old driver in the championship (KR), you are seeing that your old driver is still the current champion at Ferrari, you are seeing that your old driver is beating his teammate by a larger margin than your current driver is beating his, you are seeing that your current driver makes more crashes/dnfs than any of the other leading drivers. But despite the many things to be quiet about, you see that he talks in the press more than any of the drivers. Moreover, that he talks primarily about how bad Ferrari is.

There is a perspective by which LdM's loss of patience makes some sense.

By that logic we can look at Massa and see that the driver is getting outclassed by the driver who replaced KR :drunk:

Drivers driving different cars comparison don't necessarily work.

#31 nectar

nectar

• 97 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 13:51

Hardly fair to say Alonso did nothing...

+1
And not true, dislike Alonso may it be, but 4 years is by no means nothing.

#32 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,563 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 14:03

In my view, some are reading this completely wrong, and waaay too selectively. :well:

First, as the previous missive from Luca, this is splashed all over Ferrari"s website, so obviously with FULL APPROVAL of the team. Are they trying to send Fernando a message? Maybe. But to me it reads more like a (2nd??) clarification of his original remarks targeted towards Fernando that were received so poorly by so many.

In this interview, LdM (to me) is trying to explain his original criticism of Fernando as disruptive and demotivating to the folks whose efforts are needed to improve the F138. Taking, IN CONTEXT, his comments about Alonso, I really don't find a lot to complain about. Certain quotes have been repeatedly posted, but here are some others:

“Fernando is a great driver and I understand him, he is a bit like me: he wants to win. He must just remember that one wins and loses together and for its part, Ferrari must give him a car capable of starting from the front two rows…It doesn’t sit well with me seeing our car is not competitive. That’s why I intervened, even if I didn’t want to abuse my authority over my men."

If he's insulting Alonso, then he's insulting himself based on that. He's the boss, and while he GREATLY ADMIRES Fernando, felt he'd gone too far. I disagree with Luca, but I don't run Ferrari, and he felt his rebuke was needed to restore order.

“Fernando has given a lot in these last years and I repeat, his disappointment, which came about mainly after Silverstone, where all of us expected to be more competitive, is understandable." Again, pointing out the great work from Alonso at Ferrari and saying FA's frustration isn't unreasonable, but going on to express that he felt he went too far in some of his comments.

Finally, here is how the article ends: "However, even if I have lots of problems, finding drivers for the future is not one of them. Fernando Alonso is a true great, as I’ve said before. He has proved it and will prove it again, very soon.” Luca, once again publicly declaring how highly he regards Alonso, and that the effort now is to get him a car to show that greatness again. These guys aren't splitting up. Quite the contrary. There was a very public spat, as families sometimes have, but its over and Luca is making clear to RB, Merc, Lotus, etc. that Fernando is very much part of the Ferrari family...in fact, its proudest son, despite the schism. I expect him to end his career Maranello as their latest champion! :cool:

Edited by PoleMan, 03 August 2013 - 14:04.

#33 mardmarium

mardmarium

• 489 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 14:06

To be honest, I agree with him in many things he have said, the problem in my opinion, is that all the dirty laundry is being washed in public, which gives their rivals too much information about how the situation in the team is…

For those who take advantage of this situation to criticize Alonso, come on, you are clearly attacking the man because you don´t like him, not because of objective reasons, it’s quite obvious.

When LdM says “drivers come and go, while Ferrari remains” I totally agree with him. In the same way, I agree with him when he says “Fernando is a great driver and I understand him... Ferrari must give him a car capable of starting from the front two rows…It doesn’t sit well with me seeing our car is not competitive” or “Fernando has given a lot in these last years... But I didn’t like some attitudes, a few words, some outbursts.” or “Felipe is a quick driver and a great guy. But in the past days, we were very clear with him: both he and us need results and points” or “even if I have lots of problems, finding drivers for the future is not one of them. Fernando Alonso is a true great, as I’ve said before. He has proved it and will prove it again, very soon” (he is still thinking of their future together, let´s see what happens)

The car have always had problems, the difference now is that a frustrated driver is starting to appear (really, I can´t blame him). In 2011 the car had serious problems, but nobody heard a single word about a frustrated driver, about “the driver wants to leave the team”, about LdM attacking everyone and everything. Now they are starting to run out of patience. If LdM doesn´t have the driver, obviously he doesn´t have anything, without the driver it doesn´t matter how hard the team works, the efforts they make.

The truth is that LdM has praised Alonso more than he has criticized him in these words. Some people focus their attention on what suit their agendas; I focus my attention on everything he has said. Our car is not competitive is the worst thing I´ve read by far.

#34 V3TT3L

V3TT3L

• 1,681 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 14:08

Say what you want, but Massa was closer of getting a WDC for Ferrari than Alonso.

In the end Alonso did the same as Massa in his period of Ferrari.

#35 Winter98

Winter98

• 638 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 14:16

Ferrari is doing the best they can. And FA agreed to drive for them.

Perhaps FA chose the wrong team to drive for, but that isn't anyone's fault but his.

#36 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,563 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 14:17

To be honest, I agree with him in many things he have said, the problem in my opinion, is that all the dirty laundry is being washed in public, which gives their rivals too much information about how the situation in the team is…

For those who take advantage of this situation to criticize Alonso, come on, you are clearly attacking the man because you don´t like him, not because of objective reasons, it’s quite obvious.

When LdM says “drivers come and go, while Ferrari remains” I totally agree with him. In the same way, I agree with him when he says “Fernando is a great driver and I understand him... Ferrari must give him a car capable of starting from the front two rows…It doesn’t sit well with me seeing our car is not competitive” or “Fernando has given a lot in these last years... But I didn’t like some attitudes, a few words, some outbursts.” or “Felipe is a quick driver and a great guy. But in the past days, we were very clear with him: both he and us need results and points” or “even if I have lots of problems, finding drivers for the future is not one of them. Fernando Alonso is a true great, as I’ve said before. He has proved it and will prove it again, very soon” (he is still thinking of their future together, let´s see what happens)

The car have always had problems, the difference now is that a frustrated driver is starting to appear (really, I can´t blame him). In 2011 the car had serious problems, but nobody heard a single word about a frustrated driver, about “the driver wants to leave the team”, about LdM attacking everyone and everything. Now they are starting to run out of patience. If LdM doesn´t have the driver, obviously he doesn´t have anything, without the driver it doesn´t matter how hard the team works, the efforts they make.

The truth is that LdM has praised Alonso more than he has criticized him in these words. Some people focus their attention on what suit their agendas; I focus my attention on everything he has said. Our car is not competitive is the worst thing I´ve read by far.

:up: Looks like we were on the same frequency! :)

#37 HP

HP

• 19,631 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 14:18

If you say Alonso did nothing for Ferrari, just look up the WDC positions of the second driver in his stint. compared to MSC or Kimi´s stint at the team.

When the Ferrari was reliable, MS had at least one season, where the team did win the WCC almost by his points alone. Anyway, these kind of comparisons don't work anyway.

However Ferrari gives preferred treatment to the better driver. After his accident, where he was hit at his head, Massa was further away from Alonso, which also skews the picture.

Alonso receives preferred treatment, and as such he should thread carefully. Those favors come with the tag of higher expectations. Don't meet them, and you get a rap, and that would happen elsewhere too. IMO if Alonso shows a little more gratitude, then things would be fine. Even if the car isn't top notch, that Ferrari people put up a special effort for their leading driver deserves some acknowledgment. The issue is not simply LdM vs. FA. If they bang their hands at each other I don't care, 2 huge egos, that always gives problems. Tell me a leading driver that hadn't a run in of some sorts with LdM. Some made it work, others not. It's now up to FA how he responds. Like at every other team, everybody is replaceable.

#38 HPT

HPT

• 2,086 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 14:18

Say what you want, but Massa was closer of getting a WDC for Ferrari than Alonso.

You are seriously a child.

#39 Massa

Massa

• 10,024 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 14:21

I like when LDM is like that. Really, i think if Ferrari continue to be so bad until the end of the season, he will fire everybody.

Edited by Massa, 03 August 2013 - 14:23.

Advertisement

#40 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,563 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 14:29

That may be true, but what I find interesting is that TWICE when Alonso finished runner up in the championship as a Scuderia driver, he was recognized as the best driver overall by his peers and the team principals. Sadly, Felipe has never received similar honors, even in the year he took the checkered flag as WDC for a few corners.

You obviously have little regard for Alonso's driving, but those with the most intimate knowledge of F1 and Alonso's skills, highly respect him and repeatedly hailed him as perhaps the greatest of all the current drivers. Hmmmm! I wonder whose opinion I should assign more significance too? That's a tough one. :lol:

#41 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 14:30

Luca is bang on regarding the travesty of the secret Mercedes test. It has made a mockery of the series this year. Add to that the lack of any punishment shows Ferrari that the Germans have more sway in the politics of F1 than he had realized. The lack of results and the fall of Ferrari influence gives LdM every reason to be in a poor frame of mind. He criticized everyone and their dog in that rant, except for Santander of course.

It is quite dramatic how far Ferrari fortunes have fallen since Todt and Raikkonen left.

#42 mardmarium

mardmarium

• 489 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 14:41

:up: Looks like we were on the same frequency! :)

Agree :drunk: ...I hadn´t seen your post, we were probably writing at the same time, but even so..."rational frequency" in any case  ;)

#43 V3TT3L

V3TT3L

• 1,681 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 14:48

Alonso receives preferred treatment, and as such he should thread carefully. Those favors come with the tag of higher expectations. Don't meet them, and you get a rap, and that would happen elsewhere too. IMO if Alonso shows a little more gratitude, then things would be fine. Even if the car isn't top notch, that Ferrari people put up a special effort for their leading driver deserves some acknowledgment. The issue is not simply LdM vs. FA. If they bang their hands at each other I don't care, 2 huge egos, that always gives problems. Tell me a leading driver that hadn't a run in of some sorts with LdM. Some made it work, others not. It's now up to FA how he responds. Like at every other team, everybody is replaceable.

Alonso bought Kimi's place.
Massa inherited Barrichello's place when he moved to Honda with one year left in his contract.

Alonso is the bearer of a bigger responsability.

The first Ferrari driver can demand submission from the #2.
Except for the last race in his title bid in Interlagos, Kimi never used the option.
Massa could walk with his chin high and was much more productive in the WCC points contribution.
Ferrari won the WCC in 2007 and 2008. The last one.

Alonso walked in and killed Massa's mojo.
Since then, no WCC.

Then I ask you, which partnership was better for Ferrari ?

#44 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 14:50

When the Ferrari was reliable, MS had at least one season, where the team did win the WCC almost by his points alone. Anyway, these kind of comparisons don't work anyway.

However Ferrari gives preferred treatment to the better driver. After his accident, where he was hit at his head, Massa was further away from Alonso, which also skews the picture.

The point is during Michael´s stint at Ferrari he had years in which Rubens was second in the WDC or at least third. Alonso got 2 second places and Massa was nowhere during the whole time. Now we could say that Massa sucks, but is not Luca´s fault then, that Massa is still occupying the Ferrari seat? And even if we believe that Alonso demands a lapdog No.2 driver, Luca of all persons is the one who could and should fix that.

#45 OO7

OO7

• 23,395 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 15:05

Do you honestly believe that? eek.gif
While the end result was similar, Alonso's Ferrari has never been as competitive in comparison to the opposition as Massa's Ferrari was in 2008.

EDIT: I had quoted the wrong post.

Edited by Obi Offiah, 03 August 2013 - 15:18.

#46 Winter98

Winter98

• 638 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 15:11

Edit: Mix up with Obi

Edited by Winter98, 03 August 2013 - 18:39.

#47 starp

starp

• 74 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 15:13

Luca is bang on regarding the travesty of the secret Mercedes test. It has made a mockery of the series this year. Add to that the lack of any punishment shows Ferrari that the Germans have more sway in the politics of F1 than he had realized. The lack of results and the fall of Ferrari influence gives LdM every reason to be in a poor frame of mind. He criticized everyone and their dog in that rant, except for Santander of course.

It is quite dramatic how far Ferrari fortunes have fallen since Todt and Raikkonen left.

It is not only Todt and Raikkonen, but also Aldo Costa, Chris Dyer, and presumably several others.

#48 OO7

OO7

• 23,395 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 15:17

What's not to believe? All I said was FA chose to drive for Ferrari. If the Ferrari hasn't been fast enough, FA made the wrong decision.

That has nothing to do with my comments, so I won't agree or disagree. I do stand by my original statement: FA chose to drive for Ferrari, so if Ferrari aren't producing the best car, then FA has no one to blame but himself for making the wrong choice.

Didn't RBR offer him a seat in 2009? (I seem to remember this, not 100% sure though).

Apologies to you Winter I quoted the wrong post, it was meant for V3TT3L who's post was directly above yours.

#49 Winter98

Winter98

• 638 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 15:17

I sincerely doubt RBR would negotiate with FA, unless they knew they were going to lose SV.

Edited by Winter98, 03 August 2013 - 15:19.

#50 Winter98

Winter98

• 638 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 15:18

Apologies to you Winter I quoted the wrong post, it was meant for V3TT3L who's post was directly above yours.

Doh! Done that myself before. :)

Edited by Winter98, 03 August 2013 - 15:19.