Fernando Alonso: "Ferrari boss rebuke down to misunderstanding"
Fernando forgot one thing when he came up with this (emergency) explanation in today´s press conference in Spa. What he said simply isn´t making sense. He forgot that LdiM had called to congratulate and tweak his ear before Ferrari had published the "LdiM tweaked Fernando´s ear" -article on their own website. Had there been a "misunderstanding", I am sure Alonso could have sorted it out with LdiM during their phone call before Ferrari went worldwide with the affair. However, to underline his behaviour, LdiM also chose to give an interview to Corriera della Sera newspaper a few days later. In it he returned to the subject and confirmed that he specifically wanted to say the things he said to Alonso and that he had reasons for it. The story was also published on Ferrari website. Misunderstanding? Of course not and the reason could be this:
1. Fernando has probably agreed with Ferrari that they have to inform him of who´s going to drive alongside him. A right to veto I don´t think he has. Maybe a gentlemen´s agreement.
2. Ferrari has informed Alonso (in Hungary probably) that they have made a contract with Kimi for 2014-->. The deal is done and it´s 2+1 years even though not published yet. He replaces one of the current drivers, probably Massa but should there be problems with Alonso (see paragraph 5.), they could easily replace also the other driver with Hulkenberg, Di Resta, Kovalainen etc. Lots of solid drivers ready to serve Ferrari whenever they need it...
3. My guess is that Ferrari actually has already made or are preparing a contract with Vettel for 2015-->. Their mutual interest has been widely reported and for example Peter Windsor tweeted about it this week. Same rumors can be heard from Italy´s press.
4. Ferrari´s recent lack of performance and maybe also the knowledge of Vettel tightens the nerves in Alonso´s camp. He expresses his opinion within the team, maybe even threatens to leave. As an immediate response he gets a very public rebuke a´la LdiM. The possible reason in paragraph 5. would explain why it had to be especially made public contrary to Ferrari´s every tradition to keep things private.
5. Red Bull are probably also aware of or have at least a suspicion about the development between Vettel & Ferrari. Maybe Vettel has not called his option for 2015 in time and they start to get worried. If this is the case, both Red Bull and Alonso need to react immediately. They start negotiations, maybe in Hungary with the widely reported publicity stunt to show the world that they have found each other. . This would serve both Red Bull´s and Alonso´s interests.
6. The probable outcome will be that Alonso will drive alongside Kimi in 2014 and then tries to move to Red Bull in 2015 the latest before Vettel comes to Ferrari.
7. It could also be possible that Alonso and Vettel swap places even for next season if the relationships between the teams and their drivers get worse.
Now you can start calling me crazy but please - if this scenario happens, remember this!
Edited by Totall73, 22 August 2013 - 22:01.