Photo
* * * * - 4 votes

Realistically, if Alonso did want to leave Ferrari, what top teams are actually open to him?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Nahnever

Nahnever

• 260 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 13:52

As amazing as his talents are, I can't help but feel he has landed himself in a situation similar to Hamilton last Summer pre Mercedes interest:

- Mclaren: Would he be comfortable going back to Woking considering all that history? Would Ron even allow himself to entertain the thought considering his ego. And this is not forgetting the huge sums Fernando would be demanding. I just don't see Ron going for it as it would mean either pushing out Button who is loved within the team (and British). Or their new hope for the future Perez, who also brings outside money into the team.

- Mercedes: I know Fernando and Lewis are now very cordial with each other. And I'm sure they would both relish the challenge. But why would Lewis, now that he has got a team under his feet again, allow such a circus into his house? The media and fan scrutiny would be absolutely immense. They are the two most talked about drivers in F1, and factoring in the history it would crazy! I just don't see Lewis wanting that chaos again now that he has a team that could grow into a WDC contender.
Beyond that, if Rosberg were to leave in his place, that would mean there would be no German driver at the helm of a German car. I just dont see Mercedes even entertaining that idea.

- Red Bull: The seat I'm sure that Fernando (and Lewis at the time to be fair) covets the most. In this case they hold all the negotiating power. Vettel doesn't want it. Dietrich Mateschitz doesn't want it. Horner probably doesn't want it. So who in that team would actually back him?
Beyond that, looking at their brand, then Kimi is so much the better fit. Not even accounting that his personality would fit so much better for the team, making a happier working environment.

- Lotus: This to me seems the most likely. The only problem is Finances. Lotus can't even afford to pay Kimi his salary. How could they cope with the ridiculous salary that Alonso would be demanding?

Edited by Nahnever, 03 August 2013 - 13:54.

Advertisement

#2 starp

starp

• 74 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 13:58

Doesn't Santander pay FA's salary? Maybe it would actually be the perfect combination for Lotus. They need someone like Santander more than anyone else in F1.

#3 george1981

george1981

• 1,366 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 14:14

I'm not sure how ridiculous Alonso's salary demands are. When he won his championships for Renault he was getting a lot less than most drivers, admittedly he was at an early stage of his career so may not have been able to command a large salary. He also moved back to Spain from Switzerland knowing that he would be paying a large tax bill. He strikes me as a driver who is less concerned about money than most.
I could see him going back to the team from Enstone.

#4 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 2,731 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 14:17

I struggle to believe Lotus will be anywhere next year, money worries losing Alison... Can't be good

#5 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 14:18

Realistically? None. Alonso's only chance is Ferrari. I highly doubt he ever wanted to leave.

#6 Rybo

Rybo

• 366 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 14:20

Realistically? None. Alonso's only chance is Ferrari. I highly doubt he ever wanted to leave.

This. He is best off staying at the Scuderia until he retires. No one else will pay him 20+ million euros, and still allow him to have his #2.

#7 Smile17

Smile17

• 1,153 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 15:24

All of them!

#8 starp

starp

• 74 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 15:27

I struggle to believe Lotus will be anywhere next year, money worries losing Alison... Can't be good

Money would be no issue whatsoever if Alonso still comes with Santander.

#9 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 15:36

Money would be no issue whatsoever if Alonso still comes with Santander.

Which he doesn't

#10 starp

starp

• 74 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 15:40

Which he doesn't

Why not? They are far and away the largest sponsor in F1. Why would they drop him?

#11 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 15:46

Why not? They are far and away the largest sponsor in F1. Why would they drop him?

They have a deal with Ferrari, which they are respecting as to date. Moving on would mean a new deal with a new team, and the current Spanish and int. economic environment, and the bank's shape does not make a high-profile sponsorship deal possible anymore IMHO. FA will stay put where he is is. It's his only option.

Edited by Szoelloe, 03 August 2013 - 15:46.

#12 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,991 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 15:52

Alonso is a brilliant driver but likewise a liability.

Just look at the disruption he's recently caused at Ferrari with his comments. Not to mention his scandals at Mclaren and his most recent tenure at Renault. When things sour, he becomes the enabler of controversy of which he face no repercussions but his team does. For that reason I don't think Mclaren would be open to him and it's unlikely that Ross Brawn, the master of politics, would want a fox in the hen house that he shepherds.

#13 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 17:40

Realistically only Lotus, nowhere else.

#14 SanDiegoGo

SanDiegoGo

• 1,065 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 18:11

Realistically only Lotus, nowhere else.

Have any drivers ever raced for the same team on three different occasions, if you see what I mean?

#15 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 18:32

^ I see what you are saying. But that is Alonso's situation. You may be a top driver, but if you keep leaving teams on bad terms, it won't be of much help.

#16 SanDiegoGo

SanDiegoGo

• 1,065 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 18:41

Oh, I was actually wondering whether any had or not.

#17 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,300 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 18:50

Have any drivers ever raced for the same team on three different occasions, if you see what I mean?

Fisichella did at Jordan. 1997, then 2002-3, then 2008-9 as Force India.

#18 SanDiegoGo

SanDiegoGo

• 1,065 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 18:52

Cheers.

#19 spacekid

spacekid

• 3,143 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 18:58

McLaren.

No, wait, come back, I'm serious.

I'm well aware of the history that exists there. However, McLaren's driver line up isn't good enough at the moment, I honestly think they would take Alonso back if he was willing to drive for them. I have never forgotten that Ron Dennis once announced that he had signed Nigel Mansell before bringing a chimp out as his new driver. After that Nigel still signed for them a few years later.

Whether moving to McLaren at the moment would be a good move from Ferrari or not I am in two minds about. I see Ferrari as a team that have been on a gentle decline for the past 5 years or so, and I don't see that they have anything in place to turn that around. McLaren have produced a poor car this year, but they've made stinkers before and been able to turn it around - last years car was very good, and suffered only from 'operational difficulties' (in Ron speak).

I honestly think that if the situation arose McLaren and Alonso would be able to put the past aside and have a good partnership. The only snag is Alonso isn't getting any younger.

Advertisement

#20 EthanM

EthanM

• 4,819 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 19:04

McLaren.

I'm well aware of the history that exists there. However, McLaren's driver line up isn't good enough at the moment, I honestly think they would take Alonso back if he was willing to drive for them. I have never forgotten that Ron Dennis once announced that he had signed Nigel Mansell before bringing a chimp out as his new driver. After that Nigel still signed for them a few years later.

Whether moving to McLaren at the moment would be a good move from Ferrari or not I am in two minds about. I see Ferrari as a team that have been on a gentle decline for the past 5 years or so, and I don't see that they have anything in place to turn that around. McLaren have produced a poor car this year, but they've made stinkers before and been able to turn it around - last years car was very good, and suffered only from 'operational difficulties' (in Ron speak).

I honestly think that if the situation arose McLaren and Alonso would be able to put the past aside and have a good partnership. The only snag is Alonso isn't getting any younger.

Mansell didn't cost Ron 80 mil in cold hard Bernie cash, in Ron's mind Alonso did back in 2007 when McLaren got excluded from the WCC. The only way Alonso will go back to McLaren is if Ron is gone and has no influence at all with the race team.

#21 handel

handel

• 445 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 19:09

Alonso is a brilliant driver but likewise a liability.

Just look at the disruption he's recently caused at Ferrari with his comments. Not to mention his scandals at Mclaren and his most recent tenure at Renault. When things sour, he becomes the enabler of controversy of which he face no repercussions but his team does. For that reason I don't think Mclaren would be open to him and it's unlikely that Ross Brawn, the master of politics, would want a fox in the hen house that he shepherds.

Tbh this recent Ferrari thing, it's all their fault not his. He's a bit of a bugger for sure but LdM bit to say the least...

#22 ryan86

ryan86

• 1,100 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 19:31

Fisichella did at Jordan. 1997, then 2002-3, then 2008-9 as Force India.

Also Mansell at Williams 86-88;91-92 and 1994.

#23 spacekid

spacekid

• 3,143 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 19:46

Mansell didn't cost Ron 80 mil in cold hard Bernie cash, in Ron's mind Alonso did back in 2007 when McLaren got excluded from the WCC. The only way Alonso will go back to McLaren is if Ron is gone and has no influence at all with the race team.

I see this sort of thing on here quite often. Serious question - do you have any links or quotes where Ron has explicitly stated that he holds Alonso responsible, or that he would never consider him for a race seat again?

Also, just how much influence does Ron still have over driver line up?

#24 wingwalker

wingwalker

• 7,238 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 20:31

Well Ron is not the boss at Mclaren anymore, but I think there are simply no chances of Alonso rejoining that team.

#25 EthanM

EthanM

• 4,819 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 20:38

I see this sort of thing on here quite often. Serious question - do you have any links or quotes where Ron has explicitly stated that he holds Alonso responsible, or that he would never consider him for a race seat again?

Also, just how much influence does Ron still have over driver line up?

Read this book

Beyond that ....

"You understand why people do things and where they’re from and it’s important. Would I be able to eliminate in my mind the negativity that he caused to everyone, no, of course not. But I mean that’s… you’ve got to be the bigger person."

Ron Dennis at the Watkins Lecture

How much influence he carries with the team. Well he owned 19% of it before Mercedes walked out and sold back to him and Ojeh their 40%. So I would say he has significant influence. But of course in Alonso fanboy lalaland Botin will buy McLaren for him and kick Ron out.

#26 Winter98

Winter98

• 638 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 05:46

They have a deal with Ferrari, which they are respecting as to date. Moving on would mean a new deal with a new team, and the current Spanish and int. economic environment, and the bank's shape does not make a high-profile sponsorship deal possible anymore IMHO. FA will stay put where he is is. It's his only option.

Thank you for the info, what you say certainly makes sense.

#27 August

August

• 3,277 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 22:10

If any team wanted Alonso to drive for them, he should be the clear No. 1 for them. And I don't see that happening at Merc or RBR. And I don't see him returning to Macca. So the only other top team for which he could drive would be Lotus if Kimi didn't continue there.

#28 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 22:49

Yeah Nando and Ferrari are stuck with each other. Ferrari knew going in that Alonso is too intense to do loyalty, and externalises failure, and Nando knew Ferrari is run by Montezemolo and that on the 1-10 scales of self-regarding and finger-pointing he's 11. They each have to make a little adjustment to coexist.

Seeing Lewis in a better car, as well as Sebi, was obviously a bit too much to bear, but Fernando has nowhere else to go.

#29 Totall73

Totall73

• 147 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 23:08

He´s gonna drive for Ferrari with Kimi in 2014. I´m pretty sure of it.

#30 Lemans

Lemans

• 2,739 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 00:36

McLaren.

I've always thought this was a possibility even soon after he left/was kicked out of McLaren. And then there is the McLaren-Honda factor which could be very attractive. Of course, the risks are huge for both parties involved.

#31 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:42

McLaren.

Perez needs guidance, Button seems to be totally lost with the car. Neither are a Vettel/Hamilton/Kimi. I get the feeling much of McLaren's lost form comes from losing Lewis (and Mercedes gaining form...) and Alonso is a competent enough driver to set them right and possibly above where they were in 2012.

Now, fixing the relationship that was essentially nuked from orbit will be a challenge...

#32 BrawnGeePee

BrawnGeePee

• 31 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:00

Enstone. Fernando was their prodigal son.

This is the team he always go whenever he wants to cool-off. Santander will always follow him, and Lotus will welcome them for business. Kimi(if he's still there) doesn't care whoever enters, and Romain could be kicked with the team preferring Santander over Total sponsorship.

Less likely to McLaren=Ron Dennis Factor, Mercedes=team comfy w/ #2 Rosberg, RBR=Vettel Factor

#33 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,950 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:30

Mike Hawthorn. The only driver Enzo ever asked back twice.

#34 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 3,226 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:40

I would love to see Fernando in a Sauber :)

#35 Oho

Oho

• 11,838 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:42

Enstone. Fernando was their prodigal son.

This is the team he always go whenever he wants to cool-off. Santander will always follow him, and Lotus will welcome them for business. Kimi(if he's still there) doesn't care whoever enters, and Romain could be kicked with the team preferring Santander over Total sponsorship.

Less likely to McLaren=Ron Dennis Factor, Mercedes=team comfy w/ #2 Rosberg, RBR=Vettel Factor

Well if McLaren is out of the picture for 2007 Mercedes may also very well be out for the very reason. At the time (2007) there certainly were stories floating that Mercedes board gave McLaren no option to retain Alonso even if they wanted to continue.