* * * * - 1 votes

Peugeot 208 T16 Engine

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Illuminati

Illuminati

• 5 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:41

Now that the dust has settled on the rather impressive performance by the 208 T16 at Pikes Peak, has anyone on the forum seen the engine (in pictures or up close even)?

They say it is from the 908 but I'm not sure which one because the one they raced in Le Mans was a diesel. The wing is obviously from the Le Mans 908 but the engine piqued my curiosity. Now I guess it isn't that hard to screw 875bhp from a 3.2 V6 if you only care about it for 8mins 13 seconds but from all the pics I've searched they seem to stay away from showing the turbos. Would anyone happen to know why?

Posted Image

Audi showed their fancy little turbo on the R18 which I thought was seriously slick engineering (R18 Turbo) so I was wondering why I couldn't find images more readily of the 208 engine.

Advertisement

#2 indigoid

indigoid

• 384 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:39

They say it is from the 908 but I'm not sure which one because the one they raced in Le Mans was a diesel.

Maybe they had an aborted look at a non-diesel LMP and this was the result? I, too, would like to see more pics

#3 kikiturbo2

kikiturbo2

• 869 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:18

Maybe they had an aborted look at a non-diesel LMP and this was the result? I, too, would like to see more pics

here is a good article on the engine

http://www.enginelab...875-horsepower/

it has nothing to do with the 908 (the suspension, brakes, and rear wing are pure 908 though) but was supposedly used by pescarolo in their LeMans car. It is based on std PSAcroad car block.

#4 Illuminati

Illuminati

• 5 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:54

here is a good article on the engine

http://www.enginelab...875-horsepower/

Thanks Kiki.
Looks like a rather conventional turbocharger (possibly thin wall construction but doesn't even look like a VGT to me). Wonder what ALS/Launch Control wizardry they were up to get that thing going 0-60 in 1.8seconds. Didn't sound harsh like the old Group B style car ALS systems at all. My guess was the turbo would be pretty large and running something close to what F1 is planning for 2014.

Wonder how much benefit the 208T16 would have had if the compressor and turbine stages were disconnected by the MGU? Maybe Pikes Peak 2014 will tell....