* * * * * 1 votes

Your 'own' Racing/Track experiences

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 akshay380

akshay380

• 602 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:15

Just as the thread says, please share your racing/trackday experiences. Here is an old archived thread from 2000.

Starting with mine, in India have done some amateur karting with friends and did some speed runs in 1.6L NA cars.
Was in US for a week and joined my boss for a Porsche Club meet at Texas World Speedway. Went around the track in a 328i and then a Ferrari 355 at full chat. Later drove a race spec Miata around the track for 3 laps which ended with a blown engine. :p

Edited by akshay380, 07 August 2013 - 04:18.

Advertisement

#2 Der Pate

Der Pate

• 624 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:44

Some years ago, when I owned a Porsche 911 I was driving some circuits like Salzburgring and A1-Ring in Austria and the old Hockenheimring in Germany.

Salzburgring: A great high-speed-track with long and fast corners. But you have to break very hard, so I managed to destroy the brakes and the tyres in just one day. I also left the track in the chicane before the start-finish-straight and was in the gravel, but luckily I didn´t damage the car.

A1-Ring: A very demanding circuit. Especially turn2, because the rear becomes very light in the corner. A great track because no chicanes. F1 will be great there, too, next year.

Hockenheimring: I really liked the wood. When you go fullspeed, the fastest place on the track was the first chicane after start-finish and turn1. You could really go for it, because if you didn´t get the chicane, the was an emergency-exit. I was at 240km/h, when I hit the brakes. Great! Very tricky is the Motodrome, because in the last two corners before the start-finish-straight you have to excalerate when you want to brake...

#3 Richard T

Richard T

• 2,108 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:15

I have been racing at quite a lot of circuits during the years. But I will share my 3 favourites.

1. Brno, Czech Republic
Brno is in many ways forgotten since it has not hosted F1. But it is a truly fantastic circuit. It has got all of that you get from circuits like Spa, Monza and classic european circuits.
The track winds through close to the trees in the woods outside of beautiful Brno city. the track is wide and many fast flowing corners with wide kerbs you really can push the limit on. the elevation changes are breathtaking just like Spa, and it also has a golf course within it's circumference like Monza.
There is no asphalt run-off wich gives it it's old school feeling. A truly fantastic circuit!

2. Sachsenring, Germany
Just like Brno this track is located at the hilly countryside so it features lots of elevation changes. It has THAT downhill slope before the penultimate corner that you take a breath every time you enter, it's almost terrifying!
The first and middle part of the track is really flowing and fast. A great circuit just like Brno.

3. Salzburgring, Austria
A speed-freaks circuit located at the foot between two mountains outside Salzburg. A great circuit with one of the fastest corners in europe just after the long 1,4km backstraight. Many trackdays are organized here and i recommend everyone to visit.

Honorary mention: Knutstorp, Sweden
My favourite track in my home country. lots of elevation changes and often named the Nordschleife of Sweden, even though it's only 2,3km short :p

#4 spacekid

spacekid

• 3,143 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:25

Just some single seater experience days at Thruxton (full circuit) and Silverstone (the little circuit).

I suck - badly.

My main memory is the vibration, and my complete lack of feel for grip. I had literally no clue how fast I could actually go.

I've also done some track day stuff at Thruxton in a 911 and SLK, but that actually slightly bored me. They were very easy and comfortable, and didn't feel as fast. I much preferred the more 'direct' and 'aggresive' feel of the single seaters. Much harder to get riht.

#5 alfa1

alfa1

• 1,997 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:58

Go karts, Formula Ford, Formula Renault 2.0, F3000, F1.

Posted Image

Me, in an old Prost AP04, at Paul Ricard.

Edited by alfa1, 08 August 2013 - 07:59.

#6 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 7,870 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:27

Go karts, Formula Ford, Formula Renault 2.0, F3000, F1.

Posted Image

Me, in an old Prost AP04, at Paul Ricard.

Wow. Just wow.

#7 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,126 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:23

Alfa1 :up: Were these track days or have you raced?

My Palmersport trackday http://forums.autosp...w...=184506&hl=

#8 RoutariEnjinu

RoutariEnjinu

• 2,442 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:05

On a forum for motorsports, where presumably we're all fans of motorsport, you could pretty much just ask how much disposable income we all have, and be similarly impressed. There are many things I'd love to do, but so far, it's only been 3 track days. I'm hoping to do Donington Park at some point in the future as their noise restrictions aren't as harsh as at Bedford Autodrome.

#9 alfa1

alfa1

• 1,997 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:14

Just a track day.
The next step up from your Palmer day out, it seems.
Hand them squillions of dollars and they let you drive the car after training in Formula Renault 2.0 cars.

http://lotusf1team.com/-irace-.html

#10 akshay380

akshay380

• 602 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:23

Alfa1 Wow! Would love to hear more about your rides :up:

My Palmersport trackday http://forums.autosp...w...=184506&hl=

That was awesome dude!

#11 akshay380

akshay380

• 602 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:25

On a forum for motorsports, where presumably we're all fans of motorsport, you could pretty much just ask how much disposable income we all have, and be similarly impressed. There are many things I'd love to do, but so far, it's only been 3 track days. I'm hoping to do Donington Park at some point in the future as their noise restrictions aren't as harsh as at Bedford Autodrome.

Haha! I found it funny because I have not yet read anything here from some of our arm chair experts :p

#12 DS27

DS27

• 4,687 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:34

Raced for most years since starting in 91, mainly in saloon car championships (BMW, etc), so raced at all UK tracks and also a few abroad such as Spa & Nurburgring. Took a couple of years out to race Rotax Karts in 3 hr endurance but found out that we were spending more than on car racing...

Many highs and many lows, but ultimately worth it. I would urge anyone who can to give it a go - the difference in the buzz you get from racing compared to a trackday is night and day, and it needn't be *that* expensive. Plenty of people spend enough on trackdays that could see them on the grid.

Favourit UK track would be Cadwell - lots of great weekends there.

Edited by DS27, 08 August 2013 - 10:39.

#13 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,685 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:57

Raced for most years since starting in 91, mainly in saloon car championships (BMW, etc), so raced at all UK tracks and also a few abroad such as Spa & Nurburgring. Took a couple of years out to race Rotax Karts in 3 hr endurance but found out that we were spending more than on car racing...

Many highs and many lows, but ultimately worth it. I would urge anyone who can to give it a go - the difference in the buzz you get from racing compared to a trackday is night and day, and it needn't be *that* expensive. Plenty of people spend enough on trackdays that could see them on the grid.

Favourit UK track would be Cadwell - lots of great weekends there.

This isn't the first time I've heard this. Another guy told me he used to race karts but had to quit & race in a high-end Miata series because they are so much less expensive.

Edited by AustinF1, 08 August 2013 - 10:58.

#14 GhostR

GhostR

• 3,789 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:32

Most I've managed is my recent stag do karting in Crawley on their "Le Mans" track. Awesome, awesome fun though. Managed to get my times (when had clear laps...) down to a respectable level given it was my first time in a kart in around 20 years... or even driving something with a steering wheel; I'm a biker.

Definitely going to have to do more karting, and at some point sort out a track day (on a bike).

#15 Coops3

Coops3

• 1,841 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:45

I won an egg and spoon race once.

#16 EightGear

EightGear

• 1,748 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:49

Rental karts. :up:

#17 ChiliFan

ChiliFan

• 198 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:07

Currently racing a Mazda MX5 (2.0l) in club championships. Affordable racing, but definitely competitive and gives me a chance to drive on some fantastic circuits. Here's an onboard video from Brands Hatch last weekend for anyone interested:

#18 DS27

DS27

• 4,687 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 18:04

I won an egg and spoon race once.

Now, now - this was supposed to be all about our experiences, without getting into the bragging rights about race and championship wins, and now you've gone and spoilt it :)

#19 Peat

Peat

• 8,864 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 22:21

Stacks of karting, still race regularly.

Raced in an off-road buggy series for several years.

Tried a few cars (FFord, Opel Lotus) and even held a NatB race license for a while. Never got to use it in anger mind.

Also done a few 'experience' days in various supercars and rally cars. Entertaining, but a bit tame.

Most exhilarating thing i've ever driven - 125cc Gearbox Superkart. Unbelievably rapid.

Advertisement

#20 Knot

Knot

• 666 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 22:26

Just a track day.
The next step up from your Palmer day out, it seems.
Hand them squillions of dollars and they let you drive the car after training in Formula Renault 2.0 cars.

http://lotusf1team.com/-irace-.html

What is squillions of dollars, in real terms, if I may ask?

#21 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,319 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 01:01

One of my buddies when I was younger raced motocross and bought one of Nick Wey's Yamaha's. Rode that thing more than he did as his dad thought he was too small for the 250 2-stroke (we were 12-13 at the time). Probably only racer that would have any major history. Did an amateur race at Red Bud with it. First and only amateur bike race as I was slower than slow.

2007 Skip Barber National Championship

Posted Image

#22 dumm

dumm

• 37 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 01:23

My only "racing" experience apart from karts here in Berlin is one lap around Bathurst in a 55bhp Ford Econovan.
The van was amazingly slow uphill, even in second gear, it took me maybe 15mins for the lap. Still felt how badass that circuit is :cat:

#23 911

• 2,227 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 01:28

I raced for many years in auto crossing, spent 2 years karting and another 2 with the Porsche Owners Club. I also attended both Jim Russell schools (Formula Ford & Formula Mazda/Russell). I've driven on Laguna Seca, Willow Springs, Buttonwillow, Streets of Willow, Daytona International Raceway, and the old Riverside International Raceway. I've karted at Adams, Perris and Willow Springs.

Lastly, I tried rally crossing for the first time a few weekends ago - now that was fun!!!

#24 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 01:38

Just some autocross,

Posted Image[/url]

Edited by SR388, 09 August 2013 - 01:39.

#25 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 6,090 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 01:44

^

It's a lot more challenging if you use cones. :lol:

#26 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:21

^

It's a lot more challenging if you use cones. :lol:

Posted Image

#27 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,319 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:27

Lastly, I tried rally crossing for the first time a few weekends ago - now that was fun!!!

The SCCA stuff? Was looking at attending a meet, but wasn't sure about the format. Seemed like it was just autocross on dirt.

#28 lustigson

lustigson

• 5,911 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:21

My only 'track experience' consists of karting...

... and a few clandestine laps of Spa-Francorchamps! :)

The track still consisted mainly of public roads in the early 2000s, so I drove along those, across (much of) the old circuit, and on the 2nd lap, I noticed that the gates in the Le Combes were partly open, just wide enough for my 1999 Ford Focus to fit through. So I did one or two laps of the race track as well.

#29 KirilVarbanov

KirilVarbanov

• 866 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:30

Does sliding, playing and training on an old airfield counts?
But apart from that, some kart time - mainly with 9HP Honda powered karts. I love low weight.

#30 GhostR

GhostR

• 3,789 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:46

one lap around Bathurst in a 55bhp Ford Econovan

When I was a teen, went round Bathurst sat in my dad's sidecar. The dipper was ... well, let's just say I had newfound respect for the race sidecar passengers who'd been flying through there earlier in the day :p.

#31 paulogman

paulogman

• 2,642 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 03:52

http://www.youtube.c...rpK5Wen7lsinyXN
NJMP lightning
http://www.youtube.c...gYt0qXahwUtxeFK
Lime Rock
also watkins glen
lots of track days in my 1975 911s

#32 TheManAlive

TheManAlive

• 2,800 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 05:18

I am currently living in Cyprus so there is only one track I can get to for track action in my Caterham. Achna Speedway is a twisty little track, but probably the best trackday deal in the world - €30 for a whole day on track and for most of my visits I have ad the place to myself.

#33 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 4,794 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 08:13

A few years of pre-85 FFord in a little Crossle 32f, only raced around Kirkistown though as I couldn't be arsed getting out of bed early enough to go to Mondello :blush:

#34 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:10

I walked a lap around Mosport at the ALMS race in '02 or '03. Along the back straight I found an entire front bumper off one of the American Viper Racing GTS-Rs and carried it back to my camp where it sadly wouldn't fit into our truck. So I brought it to the little park they have in the infield camp ground and left it there by the swings.

Edited by Andrew Hope, 10 August 2013 - 09:13.

#35 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,656 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 11:57

Done a bit of karting, mainly hire karts but the most competitive was when I did a few of the 3hr enduros at Buckmore Park in Kent during my time in London. Also did a bit of ice-karting at Val d'Isere which was brilliant fun :)

Also while in London did a couple of driving experiences at Brands Hatch - consisted of time in a road car with an instructor (first time an Audi TT and second time was an Renaultsport Megane) and then in a single seater like a Formula Palmer Audi. Awesome fun - great track and finished both times with fastest time of the session. Second time was wet but still went quicker than the time I did in the dry the first time :lol:

Have managed to do a few trackdays back here in Australia at Phillip Island and at Winton - will soon head up in a few weeks to Wakefield Park for my first time there. I'd love to do a lot more but family and finances don't really allow me much more than the occasional blast on track...

#36 DrProzac

DrProzac

• 2,405 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 15:19

Well said.

I did some amateur kart racing, including having a quite nasty accident :) Other than that, some gravel runs in old cars including the all time great Fiat 126p.

Lately I've been thinking about doing this:

#37 KenCravillion

KenCravillion

• 11 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 15:52

In my Subaru Forester at track days at Road America...

Posted Image

They were holding me up. :)

Posted Image

#38 Uwe

Uwe

• 707 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:43

I am currently living in Cyprus so there is only one track I can get to for track action in my Caterham. Achna Speedway is a twisty little track, but probably the best trackday deal in the world - €30 for a whole day on track and for most of my visits I have ad the place to myself.

Nice. Is that an R300?
HPC here.

#39 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,685 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:22

I've been fortunate enough to drive in a free Cadillac V-Series Lab at COTA, and ride along in a Ferrari event there as well. Also got to ride around COTA in their safety truck. Haven't been able to do a track day there in my STi. At $55K/day track rental for the group, they're just too expensive. Do a little bit of rental karting at a couple of local smaller tracks, one called Driveway Austin, owned & run by former LM driver Bill Dollahite.

Even at 6 feet & 210 pounds, I'm usually the quickest there or at least in the top 2 or 3, so I wish I could get onto the track a bit more regularly and more on the competitive side, but as of now finances prohibit it.

Advertisement

#40 teejay

teejay

• 6,130 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:04

I was street racing champion 2005-2008 in my state.

#41 Peat

Peat

• 8,864 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 13:36

Other than that, some gravel runs in old cars including the all time great Fiat 126p.

The buggy i ran was based on a Fiat 126 running gear:

Posted Image