Photo

New AUTOSPORT forums

• Please log in to reply
1018 replies to this topic

#651 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 3,124 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 15:18

... useful/necessary menu items above are so small and in such faint colours that they can hardly be seen.

Sounds as though you've probably got WYSIWYG off. Turn it on with button extreme left top row.

Advertisement

#652 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,042 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 16:43

Sounds as though you've probably got WYSIWYG off. Turn it on with button extreme left top row.

Using that button, which does not identify itself, makes the faint small menu items as near totally invisible as makes no difference.

Even the items that do identify themselves are pretty unhelpful - e.g. is a "Special BBCode" a celebratory ode written for the BBC, and if not how are we users supposed to understand the jargon to know what it is?

ETA as I wrote before the size seems not to work - the above was supposed to be 14 point and this is 12.

On my screen (19") they come out as 12 and 10 so how big a screen it the font size based on?

Edited by Allan Lupton, 15 September 2013 - 16:50.

#653 RTH

RTH

• 5,734 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 14:59

All this black is still very gloomy.

How about - as a part of the optional 'Atlas' skin- change the default font to the much easier to read and slightly larger Verdana and change all the now black framework and bars to a much more eye friendly  and lifting  amber or pale pastel  'grass' green colour ?

This would please   longer term members  yet keep the rather more austere form for those in RC etc.

What I wonder is the daily traffic in comparison to before the changes ? I would imagine it has been a deterent factor.

Edited by RTH, 16 September 2013 - 15:09.

#654 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 4,890 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 18:54

I bet daily traffic is up markedly - my prediction would be about 20% - because Google can now see all the threads.

Also, I can now use it on my mobile. :)

#655 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,058 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 19:02

I don't understand.

If I'm in the forum menu, on the top left of my screen, in succession I can see:

Autosport

Members

Autosport

Website Feedback

Subforums

Recently updated

Nothing that resembles a button there.

I am using a desktop with standard (not wide) screen, Firefox, Windows Vista

#656 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,437 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 19:11

It's the icon on the extreme left in the reply box. It's the only icon in the reply box that doesn't tell you what it does when you pause the cursor over it, which is why a lot of us have had to be educated in its use. It would be nice if this could be remedied, as its actual appearance gives no clue to its function.

#657 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,058 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 20:26

Thanks Tim. It appears you have to hit the "More reply options" button to see any of tis.

It isn't exacly self-evident or intuitive is it?  I get the feeling that the experts who created the new format have assumed that everybody using the forum is as computer-savvy as they are.

#658 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,042 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 22:37

Thanks Tim. It appears you have to hit the "More reply options" button to see any of tis.

It isn't exacly self-evident or intuitive is it?  I get the feeling that the experts who created the new format have assumed that everybody using the forum is as computer-savvy as they are.

No "More reply options" isn't needed to see it, as it appears when you start using that huge reply box that wastes all that space whether you need it or not.

I agree it is counter-intuitive as even if you knew what it was for why would you want to use it once you had found that all the other buttons went invisible.

There are many other counter-intuitive and/or hidden commands in this "new" system which puts me in mind of the bad old days when you had to know all the MS-DOS commands as there was no help available except in a thick book. Perhaps the next backward step will bring back the punched-card :D

#659 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,743 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:24

I appreciate the new software is perhaps not all that some people might have hoped for but I think that all the nested and hidden things that you think are unintuitive are there simply because the software does more, and some of this invisibly.  So behnd the WYSIWYG edit box, all the 'url' and 'img' tags are still there and you can still use them that way if you choose.  Many of these are not Autosport design decisions but what you get with IPBoard 3, and we do need to upgrade because the old softare simply cannot cope with the huge post numbers that we now get at a Grand Prix weekend or Kimi news day.

I would agree that 'specialBBCode' probably isn't too helpful but my car has a button marked 'DSC' and a tape deck with a 'Dolby' button and neither of these are self explanatory to those of us used to driving a Morris Minor or using turntables.

Where things can reasonably be changed, the team are getting around to giving it some attention but they can't be changed overnight.  Sometimes it's worth experimenting or just asking the helpful types here if there is something you are having difficulty finding or understanding.  It's proibably not just you that's a bit lost.

Advertisement

#660 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,042 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:44

I appreciate the new software is perhaps not all that some people might have hoped for but I think that all the nested and hidden things that you think are unintuitive are there simply because the software does more, and some of this invisibly.

Thanks, Buttoneer, for at least humouring us older folk, but whatever the software does that the previous edition did not do is not evident to the user ("invisibly" as you say), but what it appears not to do that the previous edition did is not only evident but in most cases seems retrograde.

As an example, hovering the cursor on a thread in the index used to give a quick preview, but now one has to click on a new button whereupon the whole of first and newest posts appear and doesn't automatically clear. i.e. you get more but not necessarily because more was wanted.

Another example of more but unnecessary is that as the cursor passes over a poster's name (in the LH margin) a pop-up profile summary appears.

#661 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,743 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:53

I think the profile popup is quite useful.  I see a few extra things there which allow me to check if a user is online or one-click ban a spammer, but I think the 'find content' and send message' buttons ought to be helpful to a good forum user who wants to check out your other posts before calling you a fanboy.  Or hater.  I appreciate that this potentially makes it much more useful to me than to you.

The quick preview thing I'm in two minds about.  You highlighted a pro and con of that feature and I suppose whether you find that more or less useful will depend on how much you used it previously.  I didn't, much, so don't really have a strong view, but I will note that it does give you the option of marking the thread as read from that view, without having to delve further, which might be better than clicking through and out again for many users.

Personally, I am very much missing the icon which told me which threads I have commented in and desperate to see that make a comeback.  Perhaps that's my first sign of aging.

#662 Ria

Ria

• 295 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:40

While this is now better for the eyes than at the start it's still not good to them. I'm the only one with that opinion?

Edited by Ria, 18 September 2013 - 19:39.

#663 Regazzoni

Regazzoni

• 902 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:53

While this is now better for the eyes than at the start it's still not good to them. I'm I the only one with that opinion?

The white background is too much bright and tires the eyes very quickly to the point that I spent much less time on the forum (which is not such a bad thing, after all...).

#664 condor

condor

• 11,272 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 13:28

I think the profile popup is quite useful.  I see a few extra things there which allow me to check if a user is online or one-click ban a spammer, but I think the 'find content' and send message' buttons ought to be helpful to a good forum user who wants to check out your other posts before calling you a fanboy.  Or hater.  I appreciate that this potentially makes it much more useful to me than to you.

I'm in the 'don't like' the profile pop-up camp. I appreciate it is much more useful to the mods than to everyday forum users so why can't you just keep it to yourselves?
I'm browsing down the forum threads to see which are of interest to read and all of a sudden a pop-up profile appears. I don't want to see a profile pop-up it just seems to appear and then I have to quickly move my cursor somewhere different to be rid of it.
The left hand side of a normal post has the poster's name/avatar/number of posts/date of joining. The pop-up feature certainly isn't wanted by me...can it be changed to a poster having to click on a member's name to view instead?
The being on/off line notification was switched off to general forum users due to complaints of privacy issues. I wasn't bothered by that, but others understandably were. .

#665 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 3,124 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 14:20

I see a few extra things there which allow me to check if a user is online...

I miss this facility. Playing a given game enabled when or not to post an appropriate clue.  ;)

Now that the red rocket from the cloud button has stabilized, I see very little difference to previously with regard posting. The same applies to the WYSIWYG button, when on, the posting is a piece of cake. There is absolutely no need to turn it off, with one exception, quoting a post from a different thread. On the previous board, one was able to select quote, go to the reply box and copy the coded format text, it was then possible to paste it any other thread. Now, one has to turn the WYSIWYG off to get the coded format text which you then cannot reverse without leaving the editor. 

#666 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 3,124 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 15:04

I miss this facility. Playing a given game enabled when or not to post an appropriate clue.  ;)

Now that the red rocket from the cloud button has stabilized, I see very little difference to previously with regard posting. The same applies to the WYSIWYG button, when on, the posting is a piece of cake. There is absolutely no need to turn it off, with one exception, quoting a post from a different thread. On the previous board, one was able to select quote, go to the reply box and copy the coded format text, it was then possible to paste it any other thread. Now, one has to turn the WYSIWYG off to get the coded format text which you then cannot reverse without leaving the editor. 

The bit highlighted in red, is crap. In fact, the operation is simpler than before, I've been experimenting. Highlight, copy button, go elsewhere, reply box, paste button, highlight, quote button.

#667 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,437 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 15:20

I see a few extra things there which allow me to check if a user is online or one-click ban a spammer,

The being on/off line notification was switched off to general forum users due to complaints of privacy issues. I wasn't bothered by that, but others understandably were. .

When the 'On Line' notification was removed, it seems we also lost another useful facility. In the past you could click on another member's profile and see an entry along the lines of:

'Last seen on [date] at [time]'

This was obviously not what Bira and others were worried about, as it had been there in the two previous software packages dating back to when Bira herself ran this site. It would be great if this could be restored.  It would also be good if the problems with the search engine could be addressed.

#668 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,743 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 19:32

I think if this is a global setting we are better off having it switched off.

#669 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 5,041 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 23:09

While this is now better for the eyes than at the start it's still not good to them. I'm I the only one with that opinion?

The white background is too much bright and tires the eyes very quickly to the point that I spent much less time on the forum (which is not such a bad thing, after all...).

If there was some difference in the available skins this might be solved. How a bout a high contrast one like this, and a more subtle one added to the list?

#670 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,284 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 23:47

A suggested fix for snow-blindness  ;)

I use a little prog called f.lux which is designed to dim your screen to fit the ambient lighting and time of day. However, if you fiddle with the settings a little, moving the slider further towards "incandescent" it can take away a lot of that white ...

#671 ForeverF1

ForeverF1
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,522 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:17

When the 'On Line' notification was removed, it seems we also lost another useful facility. In the past you could click on another member's profile and see an entry along the lines of:

'Last seen on [date] at [time]'

This was obviously not what Bira and others were worried about, as it had been there in the two previous software packages dating back to when Bira herself ran this site. It would be great if this could be restored.  It would also be good if the problems with the search engine could be addressed.

This is still there, albeit with different wording.... If you hover over the members name it will show you 'when last active'.

#672 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,042 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:03

This is still there, albeit with different wording.... If you hover over the members name it will show you 'when last active'.

It may do so for you but it does not for me. It just says "active posts" and a number and "member since" and a date. (what's a passive post then?)

Your entry says "RC Host" which may have a religious meaning, but I expect refers to a higher status than mine in one of these fora so you'll get better information :)

#673 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,437 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:06

.... If you hover over the members name it will show you 'when last active'.

Like Allan, all I can see is the number of posts and the date of joining. Is this perhaps a feature only available to moderators? If so, would it be possible to make it available to all, please? After all, we did all have it before the software upgrade. :kiss:

Edited by Tim Murray, 18 September 2013 - 09:08.

#674 ForeverF1

ForeverF1
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,522 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:16

Both, forgive me, the new software is new to us also. Apologies for leading you up the wrong Garden Path.  :blush: 

#675 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,743 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:56

I think the 'last active' date is useful for everyone but I appreciate that some people think it's a bit of a stalky feature.  If it can come back but without bringing back the online/offline banner, then I would be all for it.

#676 ForeverF1

ForeverF1
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,522 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:06

I cannot understand this " Stalking" bit, either you are on-line or not. I can understand that we can see more than a normal member which makes it difficult when trying to advise.

#677 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,437 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:23

This forum is one of three that I'm a member of.  On the other two my name appears at the bottom of the main page all the time I’m logged in to them. It seems to me that the ‘last seen’ facility is considerably less ‘revealing’ than actually being named.

#678 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,042 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:48

This forum is one of three that I'm a member of.  On the other two my name appears at the bottom of the main page all the time I’m logged in to them. It seems to me that the ‘last seen’ facility is considerably less ‘revealing’ than actually being named.

I'm also a member of other fora that do things differently - two have an "online" indicator, and one of those has a "last seen" message when you get a profile up. On the other hand one forum was completely changed at the end of last year and, although the problems were completely different in detail, we had the same thing as here where what used to work well and was understood by most, then functioned differently and was/is a mystery to the users.

A propos of being named many on this forum hide behind pseudonyms. We had a go at them on TNF and most who don't post under their own names now include real names in signature lines. I don't see much of that with those from other parts of this system whom I've only seen in threads like this one.

In the VSCC forum (members only of course) the real name is part of the profile which I assume is a step too far for this place.

#679 condor

condor

• 11,272 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:31

I think the 'last active' date is useful for everyone but I appreciate that some people think it's a bit of a stalky feature.  If it can come back but without bringing back the online/offline banner, then I would be all for it.

I think previously there was an option to be 'invisible' so a members on/off line status wasn't known. This presumably was used by those that wanted their privacy protected. I doubt whether many forum users bothered to be 'invisible' but some obviously did.

Advertisement

#680 prty

prty

• 5,161 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:13

Don't know if this has already been asked, but browsing a topic I created:

http://forums.autosp...-out-of-ferrari

I realised that there's a "Topic moderation" button on the top. When I click on it, it appears "Delete" in a pop up menu. Afraid to click on it to see if it's really possible to delete, but IIRC in the last forum this wasn't possible to do, don't know if this is intentional.

#681 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,188 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:41

Don't know if this has already been asked, but browsing a topic I created:

http://forums.autosp...-out-of-ferrari

I realised that there's a "Topic moderation" button on the top. When I click on it, it appears "Delete" in a pop up menu. Afraid to click on it to see if it's really possible to delete, but IIRC in the last forum this wasn't possible to do, don't know if this is intentional.

I think a scientific experiment is called for, prty - please start a new test thread and then try to delete it. I am pretty sure it won't let you and it's just a glitch. If you try to delete it and get denied by the system, jut post to that effect in the thread and I will remove it.

edited to add: tried and as thought, the option is there for posters but the system knows it is not an option in reality, as should be the case. I removed the test thread created.

#682 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,190 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:04

As I said in the other thread

that is not a glitch, it's meant to be like that, can't have someone deleting a huge thread after a few days, you can delete your individual posts but not threads

I don't think the moderation tools button should be visible though, so will let the powers that be know of the problem

#683 Grayson

Grayson
  • AUTOSPORT digital product manager

• 1,359 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:29

A bit of an update on where we're up to...

We've made a few changes in the past few weeks to both the design and the backend. Among the changes which I don't think we've mentioned on here is the adding of the first and last page buttons to the mobile theme - it was a bit of a nightmare trying to navigate the very busy threads without this.

On the online visibility point, we've now intentionally set things so that only moderators can see whether you're online and when you last visited the forum. It's true that the old version of the forum had the option to see when you'd last been active, but from various comments from our readers on and off the forums I get the impression that people are a lot more concerned with privacy now than they were when we set up the last version of the forums. The privacy settings could be something that we revisit in the future, but it's not a high priority.

The two priorities we have at present are both very big jobs:

- Fixing the glitches with search. Until we can work out what's causing these glitches, we can't start trying to fix them!

- Seeing whether we can bring back the stars (to show that you have posted in a thread). When we removed these, I mentioned that it would be a temporary measure. Our developers are still working on a solution to this that would make the thread markers work in a more similar way to the way they were set up on the old forums, but it could be the case that there's no way of bringing them back without users with tens of thousands of posts having to wait up to a minute (or more) to load every forum index page.

#684 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 3,515 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:54

I appreciate that you have plenty of work to do fixing bugs and things but I have had an idea which I think would be of benefit to the forums. On your profile show how many people are ignoring you. Not which individual users are doing so but just the numbers. Nobody likes to be ignored and this feature might give posters an idea of how twatty/fanboyish they are in their posting. If somebody found out they were being ignored by thirty users, then it might be a bit of a wake up call. 

#685 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,743 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 21:18

If someone expressed a view about a team or driver which was perhaps a difficult message, and everyone who was his fan decide to ignore them, it doesn't make him twattish or fanboyish. I'd wear that as a badge of honour.

#686 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • In the running for best OP of 2014

• 3,389 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 21:37

On the online visibility point, we've now intentionally set things so that only moderators can see whether you're online and when you last visited the forum. It's true that the old version of the forum had the option to see when you'd last been active, but from various comments from our readers on and off the forums I get the impression that people are a lot more concerned with privacy now than they were when we set up the last version of the forums. The privacy settings could be something that we revisit in the future, but it's not a high priority.

I'll stick my neck out and be part of the apparent minority to say very good call on removing all the online indicators. :up:

Any word on the colour schemes? The black on white doesn't bother me, but it seems to be a high-profile issue for quite a few people here.

#687 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 1,503 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:19

On the subject raised a couple of posts ago - I'd remove the option to ignore users.

Flies in the face of the point of a forum, for the reason said by Buttoneer.

#688 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,363 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 14:44

Our developers are still working on a solution to this that would make the thread markers work in a more similar way to the way they were set up on the old forums, but it could be the case that there's no way of bringing them back without users with tens of thousands of posts having to wait up to a minute (or more) to load every forum index page.

Struggling to see how that marks progress.

Anyway, I'm still not seeing my posts until I refresh, and now I'm having problems with photos being edited if they happen to be a post next to an advert.

#689 Tufty

Tufty

• 4,848 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 14:50

Is there a way of stopping ads in the photo comp threads? When they appear next to photos the photo gets distorted which undermines the post.

#690 theopape

theopape
  • AUTOSPORT UI dev

• 15 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:50

Is there a way of stopping ads in the photo comp threads? When they appear next to photos the photo gets distorted which undermines the post.

We're currently working on a fix for this.

#691 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,627 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 13:45

Any way to retain the format from mobile to full? i.e when i am on my phone and i select mobile i then have to manually revert to full on my laptop and vice versa. Kinda annoying, especially as the selection for the theme is riiiiiiiiight against the forum border and is a nightmare to use with a mobile device. 

#692 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,743 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 16:14

Interesting because it works fine for me.  I use iPad or iPhone and I get mobile view and on my desktop it reverts to desktop version.  Could you be using a mobile browser which pretends to be a desktop?

#693 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 3,124 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 18:03

Works for me too, it didn't originally.

#694 condor

condor

• 11,272 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:27

Have just tried to post a reply using one of the smileys and moving the cursor from typing position in the reply box to click on the required smiley doesn't get the smiley posted - the cursor just dissappears.

Edited by condor, 25 September 2013 - 06:28.

#695 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 3,124 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:27

I don't have the editing suite or smileys on iphone, is this the norm? I'm convinced that it was there at the start of the change-over.

#696 RTH

RTH

• 5,734 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 15:56

Any word on the colour schemes? The black on white doesn't bother me, but it seems to be a high-profile issue for quite a few people here.

All this black is still rather like visiting the forum of a funeral director, gloomy and depressing and harsh on the eye.

#697 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,743 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 20:07

I don't have the editing suite or smileys on iphone, is this the norm? I'm convinced that it was there at the start of the change-over.

I don't have it. My mobile versions either, and don't think I ever have. iPad and iPhone.

#698 Tufty

Tufty

• 4,848 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:08

Ads are sorted on my profile but some people are still commenting that they're not?

#699 Racer3

Racer3

• 383 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 13:38

The server seems to be quite slow today. Anybody else experiencing quite long page loading times?

Advertisement

#700 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,773 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 13:48

After having used the new forum design for several weeks, I'd like to say that I think it is a marked improvement over the old, in terms of both functionality and aesthetics.  I have also had no problems at all with slow loading or the server becoming unavailable, even during/after F1 races (or perhaps this is because interest is dropping off since Vettel started dominating the championship?  :p ).  It's also a great bonus to be able to browse and post on the forum from a tablet.  Thank you to Grayson and all of the Autosport staff who are responsible for the change!