Photo

New AUTOSPORT forums

• Please log in to reply
1048 replies to this topic

#801 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,086 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 17:52

Since the downgrade, some of the lengthier threads have a "Hot" button next to the reply count. Since passing the cursor over it doesn't reveal what this button is for, can I ask here what it does for one?

Advertisement

#802 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,654 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 19:02

In the photo competition thread there are a few pictures not showing, previously refreshing the page fixed it, not any more.

#803 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,871 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 19:03

It tells you which threads are particularly busy.  You could tell for yourself, I suppose, with a glance at the post count, though one of the techie guys might need to confirm whether it also affixes itself to threads with high post rate.

#804 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,086 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 21:22

It tells you which threads are particularly busy.  You could tell for yourself, I suppose, with a glance at the post count, though one of the techie guys might need to confirm whether it also affixes itself to threads with high post rate.

Thanks. As you say with the start date and the post count clearly displayed in any case, that information is hardly obscure.

I may be out of step with the modern way of life but what is interesting about a thread being busy or not anyway? To me it's either a subject I'm interested in and/or can contribute to, or it's not.

#805 Scorg

Scorg

• 2,687 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 23:15

In the photo competition thread there are a few pictures not showing, previously refreshing the page fixed it, not any more.

I can second that, had the exact same issue, and have also seen this happen in other photo heavy threads

Edited by Scorg, 29 October 2013 - 23:29.

#806 Tufty

Tufty

• 4,891 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 00:05

Was about to report the same thing

#807 Grayson

Grayson
  • AUTOSPORT digital product manager

• 1,395 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:04

We thought that the image problem was all fixed, but it's obviously not... One of our developers is working on this again as we speak!

#808 Option1

Option1

• 13,431 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 14:41

Annddddd the images are behaving funky again, sometimes, maybe, on occasion, if you're not looking... 

Went to a thread and some were displaying in gianormous form, others (notably those posted most recently that were new to me) at the correct size.  Left thread, and then went back to it, and all displaying correctly. 

Good luck troubleshooting that!  :lol:

Neil

#809 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,871 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 16:58

Don't suppose you can supply links to help track it down?

#810 Option1

Option1

• 13,431 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 17:18

I can do that. :)

It was various ones of the images here:  http://forums.autosp...part-ii/page-15

As I said, it tends to be fleeting.  A refreshes fixes, but shouldn't be required.

Neil

Edited by Option1, 04 November 2013 - 17:19.

#811 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,871 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 22:22

Agreed, but helpful to the devs to have specific examples pinpointed.

#812 Grayson

Grayson
  • AUTOSPORT digital product manager

• 1,395 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 14:48

After a fairly sizeable chunk of work from our development team, it now looks like the search is working properly.

Can I ask you (particularly if you've been one of the people reporting faulty search results) to test our the search? If you're still spotting any quirks, could you let me know (by PM if you prefer) exactly what you have searched for and what is wrong with the results? This way I can ensure that any problems can be replicated on our end...

#813 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,672 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 16:43

A quick check indicates that it's improved very little, if at all. If I ask it to list all my posts in chronological order, it lists them correctly for the last couple of days, then goes haywire and then appears to list them in some weird order apparently based on threads, but not in chronological order within that thread:

Again, if I ask it to list only my TNF posts, it gets them right for the last two days, and then selects a thread at random and lists my posts in that thread in non-chronological order.

The only 'improvement' I can see is that it does register some of the posts I've made between the upgrade and the last few days, which it didn't do before.

Edited by Tim Murray, 06 November 2013 - 16:45.

#814 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,086 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 17:33

I cannot believe it but some of my searches highlight the searched-for word/phrase in the results and some don't. I have used single words and two-word phrases with and without quotes and with and without a hyphen and for each I have had results with and without highlighting. Usually all the results are the same, but I even searched for Maserati 250F and got one case with Maserati highlighted and 250F not

The range of dates for the results may be complete as I have had examples from yesterday to 2001 but it is hard to know if everything is there that should be.

I've just listed posts for my name and the date order is totally random, it appears.

Page 1 starts with a post from 15/10/13 and the second is from 14/10/13

Page 2 starts with a post from 2/12/11 and the second is from 1/12/11

Page 3 starts with a post from 31/10/13 and the second is from 3/9/13

Page 4 starts with a post from 1/11/13 and the second is from 30/9/13

Page 5 starts with a post from 25/10/13 and the second is from 20/10/13

Page 6 starts with a post from 28/8/13 and the second is from 8/8/13

Page 7 starts with a post from 17/10/13 and the second is from 11/10/13

You get the idea . . .

Sand in the little gearwheel, perhaps.

Edited by Allan Lupton, 06 November 2013 - 17:54.

#815 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,672 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 18:29

To be fair, some things have definitely improved. Threads such as this one and this one, which had been started since the upgrade and not updated in the last few days, used not to show up at all in the search engine. Now they do.

#816 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 6,062 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:19

I like the way the new software makes it possible to view the forums on a mobile phone. However, I most often view them on my iPad and that defaults to the mobile view, presumably because it is using the same OS. I prefer the full version on the iPad. There is a button to switch to the full version but it is at the bottom of the page. Is there any way of changing the default or of making the Full Version button more prominent?

#817 Option1

Option1

• 13,431 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 18:00

And still posting of images causes issues!  Now it's such that any time I post an image it doesn't show in the post for me until, yet again, I do a refresh.  Even editing the post (image shows in the edit box), it doesn't show when the edit is posted, until another bluddy refresh.  Using Firefox 25.0 on a Win 7 box.  :mad:

Neil

#818 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,119 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 19:18

About 15 pages back I said can we have a guide to all the features for computer illiterates like me.  There are a lot of features I find either unexplained or counter-intuitive.

#819 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,442 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:40

About 15 pages back I said can we have a guide to all the features for computer illiterates like me.  There are a lot of features I find either unexplained or counter-intuitive.

It wouldn't be official or anything - i'm not part of the development team, not do I work for Autosport but I'm willing to put together some sort of guide to features if it will help. Maybe I'll get some sort of wiki going, I don't know. I've circled what I think are the most used or useful stuff, but is there anything I've not circled that you would like to see explained?

KlRU0Cnl.png

Advertisement

#820 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,654 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:48

Also try the online help, it's not too bad, http://forums.autosp...ore&module=help

#821 Costaz

Costaz

• 1,664 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:03

Also try the online help, it's not too bad, http://forums.autosp...ore&module=help

Well, I'm not sure all of the online help has been updated after the downgrade. For example, I read in http://forums.autosp...p&do=01&HID=15 the following:

Help Topic: Topic Options
At the top of each topic, there is a 'Options' menu. Clicking this menu will expand the options menu.

From this menu, you can select from the following options:
  • Track this topic - this option will allow you to receive e-mail updates for the topic, see the 'Email Notification of new messages' help file for more information on this
  • Email this topic - from here you can email a link of this topic to someone by entering their name, email, and desired language.
  • Print this topic - this will present the current topic you are viewing a printer friendly format, removing most images and using a standard layout.
  • Download this topic - will show the topic in a number of different formats. 'Printer Friendly Version' will display a version of the topic that is suitable for printing out. 'Download HTML Version' will download a copy of the topic to your hard drive, and this can then be viewed in a web browser, without having to visit the board. 'Download Microsoft Word Version' will allow you to download the file to your hard drive and open it up in the popular word processing application, Microsoft Word, for viewing offline.
  • Subscribe to this forum - will allow you to receive e-mail updates for any new topics posted in the forum, see the Notification of new messages' help file for more information on this
You can also select one of three topic display modes:

• Outline - shows you one post with a list of the remaining posts at the below it, in tree format.
  • Standard - this display mode shows the topic in the standard layout of one post above another, in the order selected by the administrator.
  • Linear+ - is similiar to standard with the added benefit of having the first post of the topic always shown at the top, no matter what page of the topic you are on.

None of this applies any more, does it.

#822 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,654 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:13

Ah, I see it's a bit of mix of the old and the new. I only had a quick look at "Topics and forums" and "Posting" based on SophieB's picture for a description of the text box functions.

#823 KirilVarbanov

KirilVarbanov

• 857 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 14:39

And still posting of images causes issues!  Now it's such that any time I post an image it doesn't show in the post for me until, yet again, I do a refresh.  Even editing the post (image shows in the edit box), it doesn't show when the edit is posted, until another bluddy refresh.  Using Firefox 25.0 on a Win 7 box.  :mad:

Neil

+1. It's the same on Chrome 30, so it's not a browser or cache issue. 

#824 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,455 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 16:06

Neil

Yes, I'm still seeing this too - Firefox 26b2 on W7.

#825 Option1

Option1

• 13,431 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 16:13

Additional feedback on the issue from milestone11 is:

I get the same as you with regard the picture not showing without a re-fresh but it does not appear to have the same aberration if you use the "More Reply Options" mode.

Neil

#826 condor

condor

• 11,297 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 14:17

Just thought I'd pop in to say 'smilies still not working' - reported at least 2 weeks ago :(

I have to type them in rather than just click on the icon

Edited by condor, 09 November 2013 - 14:19.

#827 ForeverF1

ForeverF1
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,577 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 18:44

Just thought I'd pop in to say 'smilies still not working' - reported at least 2 weeks ago :(

I have to type them in rather than just click on the icon

There is a check box, found in "More Reply Options", is yours checked?

Emotes1.png

#828 kismet

kismet

• 7,067 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:04

I'm not even seeing any emoticons I could click. I've done the whole "More Reply Options" thing and yes, my emoticons are enabled. They're just nowhere to be seen.

I've also been having a lot of trouble formatting/editing my posts today. I came to update a post in a game thread and the formatting had gone all wonky since my last visit (in August). And as if that wasn't enough, it went from wonky to worse when I added stuff today. I didn't even change any of the existing stuff but weird things still happened to it. I'm wondering if the problem is on my end and/or if there's something I could do to fix this.

Edited by kismet, 10 November 2013 - 12:35.

#829 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,442 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:36

Are you using an ipad by any chance? I don't see the full reply options and emoticons any more using Safari on the iPad now. I think this is a recent development.

#830 kismet

kismet

• 7,067 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 13:24

Nope, I'm using the same old laptop I've "always" used. Today's the first time I've had this issue.

Something's definitely different, though. I noticed yesterday that the text in the reply box was lighter than before and the whole thing was much much faster (it's been slow as molasses ever since the forum upgrade). That's still the case today. It's almost as if I'm using some kind of a text editor lite; it still lets me do simple things like italics, font sizes and colours but I seem to be out of luck with anything more exciting.

Edited by kismet, 10 November 2013 - 13:36.

#831 condor

condor

• 11,297 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 14:27

There is a check box, found in "More Reply Options", is yours checked?
Emotes1.png

Yes I have the enable emoticons box ticked also the enable signature box ticked - even though I don't have a sig. I leave the 'follow this topic' box unchecked.

Other people have posted that they have a problem with smilies not working in the PC but don't seem to have reported it here.

#832 saudoso

saudoso

• 4,707 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:37

Mind if I ask again? Where is the marker for threads in which one has posted? The stars? Cmon guys, it's BB 101...

And condor, I have that box checked and can't for the love of god find under which rock the emoticons have crawled under.

#833 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,442 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:09

Mind if I ask again? Where is the marker for threads in which one has posted? The stars? Cmon guys, it's BB 101...

Good news on the stars front!

As mentioned earlier in the thread, we removed the stars which mark which threads you've posted in shortly after launching the new forums. This was because the query to compare your posts to our entire database of threads was very server intensive and we had to take it offline to try to improve it.

Our dev team have done some work to optimise the code, and we think that it's now working well enough to release. If you go to your settings page (click on your username at the top of this page and then choose "my settings" from the dropdown menu) you will have the ability to switch the stars on. It would be good to know how well this is working, so please let me know if it doesn't work for you! If you have a very large number of posts, turning this on is likely to increase the time it takes to load any forum index pages for you, so you may wish to switch it back off.

If we have times of very high traffic to the site, we may be forced to switch the feature off altogether so that the site continues to work for everyone...

Does the above work for you? You need to scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page Grayson mentions there.

#834 saudoso

saudoso

• 4,707 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 19:36

Sweet! Thank you!

#835 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 3,241 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 17:08

No smilies, every day something different. I'm also getting an automatic post preview.

#836 Option1

Option1

• 13,431 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 19:04

FWIW, and added purely in the interests of possibly assisting troubleshooting, I don't have an issue with smilies.

Neil

#837 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,871 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 21:56

I've had an odd one today.

IE9 at work and the quick reply box had none of the formatting bling or smilies unless I clicked 'more reply options'.  However, if I was half way through writing a note in the quick reply (the text was an almost invisible light grey) and clicked on a quote button somewhere up the page, it would insert itself into the message dynamically and then change to the fully features editor with all the smilies.  Not cured by a system reboot either.

At home with FF 25, no problem at all with any of it.

#838 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,672 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:37

IE9 at work and the quick reply box had none of the formatting bling or smilies unless I clicked 'more reply options'. 

Same here - it's been like that for about a week. I too can no longer access the emoticons, even though my 'enable emoticons' box is ticked. I've also just noticed that if I pause the cursor over any icon in the reply box, the description of what it does now appears for a fraction of a second only. All of these worked fine for me until around a week ago. I'm on IE9 and Windows Vista.

#839 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,871 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:31

These are the emoticons which appear once you get the full editor up?  Until I do that, I don't get the tick boxes either, just a blank text box with near-invisible grey text.

Advertisement

#840 ForeverF1

ForeverF1
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,577 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 13:29

These are the emoticons which appear once you get the full editor up?  Until I do that, I don't get the tick boxes either, just a blank text box with near-invisible grey text.

And, if you hover the cursor exactly on that very thin grey line depicting the text box, you get "Rich text editor, editor_52837b1df148 Press ALT 0 for help" whatever that means, but no amount of pressing ALT 0 brings up a help page or list. :well:

#841 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,871 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 13:31

I don't get that, but interesting to know if that's part of the problem.

#842 ForeverF1

ForeverF1
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,577 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 13:33

You have to be very precise on placing the cursor. Unfortunately can't take a snapshot of it.

#843 Ze Bum

Ze Bum

• 238 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 13:36

Clicking the black dots and stars now only take me to the right page of the thread, not to the first post I have not read. Can be anything from 1 to 10 posts from the right place.

The same thing happens with both Windows and Mac Firefox browsers.

#844 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,455 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 14:10

Clicking the black dots and stars now only take me to the right page of the thread, not to the first post I have not read. Can be anything from 1 to 10 posts from the right place.

Yes, I've noticed that too.

#845 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,672 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 14:53

Yes indeed. I used to get everything, including emoticons, in the quick reply box. Now I too only get a blank text box with grey text. In the full editor I get all the icons above the text box, but no emoticons below. I've also noticed that if I post something in the quick reply box the text is still visible in the reply box after the post has been uploaded. This never used to happen.

#846 Option1

Option1

• 13,431 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 15:27

Ahhh, this is an issue I had 2 or 3 weeks back that after bitching about it in this thread, eventually put it down to bandwidth/IT issues at work.  And yes, I had it again yesterday but paid it no mind, despite it being very annoying, again thinking it was a local issue for me. 

What I did figure out is that essentially the page never finishes loading, I think it was mainly waiting for google-apis or the like.

Seems to be okay so far today.

Neil

PS:  I do get the impression lately that we're talking among ourselves now.  There's been zero movement on the images issue and no feedback from Hack and co.  :well:

Edited by Option1, 13 November 2013 - 15:28.

#847 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 3,241 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 16:04

Yes indeed. I used to get everything, including emoticons, in the quick reply box. Now I too only get a blank text box with grey text. In the full editor I get all the icons above the text box, but no emoticons below. I've also noticed that if I post something in the quick reply box the text is still visible in the reply box after the post has been uploaded. This never used to happen.

My problems are identical on IE9 and Vista. Emoticons show on my Kindle which is working as normal.

I have to concur with Neil's view inasmuch as we appear to be now talking among ourselves!

#848 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,871 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 16:48

It may appear that way, but it isn't that way, and when there is something for them to update us about we will be updated.

#849 Option1

Option1

• 13,431 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 16:52

Fair enough.  Thanks Buttoneer.

Neil

#850 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,086 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:49

I don't recall seeing mention of another facility that is missing since the downgrade was implemented, which is the "search this thread" system.

We in TNF often have long threads built up over many years and being able to search a thread for some aspect of its topic was extremely valuable.

I understand that the changes were brought in to cope with the race weekend overload on ephemeral fora where the past is such a different country that no-one ever goes there, but I expect that the Technical Forum users miss "search this thread" too