Advertisement

#852 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,101 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:49

Allan, is this what you are missing?

Search.png

Could be, but where is it?

There is something that says "Quick Navigation" in the bottom right but that expands to something else and there isn't a window to its right. Even in your image I cannot see what is in that window to the left of what you've highlit, so I doubt I could see "This topic" wherever it has been hidden were it not for the highlighting.

The "search this thread" used to be properly associated with the thread you were in and I see nothing at all like that anywhere. If it's there, it is yet another example of counter-intuitive organisation.

#853 ForeverF1

ForeverF1
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,580 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:54

Its at the top right of the page, when in a thread, it says... Search   This topic, when in a Forum, it says... Search   This forum. Would further screen grabs be of assistance?

Forum search

ForumSearch.png

Topic Search

TopicSearch.png

#854 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,579 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:23

Could be, but where is it?

There is something that says "Quick Navigation" in the bottom right but that expands to something else and there isn't a window to its right. Even in your image I cannot see what is in that window to the left of what you've highlit, so I doubt I could see "This topic" wherever it has been hidden were it not for the highlighting.

The "search this thread" used to be properly associated with the thread you were in and I see nothing at all like that anywhere. If it's there, it is yet another example of counter-intuitive organisation.

Allan, in the top right of your screen, can you see the box that says "Quick navigation"? Just below where it says "Forix" on desktop resoultions?

edited to add: oops, I somehow managed to miss FF1's post entirely also asking if it was visible to you in the top right. My apologies - I wasn't looking to pile on

#855 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,101 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 14:57

I may seem ungrateful but I think both ForeverFI and SophieB must have different images on the screen than I, possibly the RC Forum Host status has that effect.

Certainly the two images posted are different from what I see: e.g. below the line ending FORIX I have an advertisement to the right of which is the famous empty box and gearwheel which we were told early on is the "search". Below that I have two bits of text "View New Content" and "Quick Navigation" both of which are links and if you pass the cursor over them they helpfully say "Open New Content" or "Open Quick Navigator".

I think I can say again that I have never met a system designed for the lay user that is as counter-intuitive as this has become. I regard myself as a lay user now, although I had been using computers as a tool of my trade from about 1959 until retirement that's some time ago and Mr Gates' ever more complex operating systems no longer allow me to run the programs I wrote and used either as a professional engineer or a RAC-MSA Handicapper.

#856 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,101 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 15:11

I can't find the direct Forum Jump or the "Search this thread" that we had before.

The old 'Search thread' function was incredibly useful. Has it now gone, or am I just looking in the wrong place?

I managed to get the search to find this exchange from almost three months ago!

I couldn't see that any answer was forthcoming then or since, but how can one search for that anyway?

#857 ForeverF1

ForeverF1
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,580 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 15:18

Sorry you are having some consternations with the new software Allan. I think the only difference, excluding Mod Tools, is that we have a subscription to Autosport+ and thus, we don't see adverts.

Can you please advise what browser you are using and also the version of Willy Gates' cock-up (OS)you are using.

#858 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,871 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 15:33

If I log out of my account I can search the thread and apart from the fact that I am seeing red banners instead of orange it looks like the screenshots provided by ForeverF1 and SophieB.  Perhaps it's a screen resolution problem?

Internet Explorer 7 Windows 7.

#859 Option1

Option1

• 13,478 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 15:40

I see the search box also, although due to the window width I'm using, it appears well above "Quick Navigation".

Win 7, Firefox <some huge number>

Neil

Edited by Option1, 15 November 2013 - 15:41.

Advertisement

#860 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,871 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 15:50

I think I can say again that I have never met a system designed for the lay user that is as counter-intuitive as this has become. I regard myself as a lay user now, although I had been using computers as a tool of my trade from about 1959 until retirement that's some time ago and Mr Gates' ever more complex operating systems no longer allow me to run the programs I wrote and used either as a professional engineer or a RAC-MSA Handicapper.

The search system is definitely different from what went before but I would not agree that it is counter-intuitive.  It is contextual, so if you are in a forum, it searches the forum, and if in member lists, it searches the members.  Wherever you are, you know where to head in order to search, with the gearwheel providing access to different search areas if you need that.

That to me makes much more sense than having a different box in a different part of the page, whch I have to scroll all the way to the bottom of to find.

Not completely helpful if you are unable to even see the small note but the information may at least allow you to start using it and know what you hope to get back as results.

What is your current screen resolution?

#861 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,101 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 17:51

Can you please advise what browser you are using and also the version of Willy Gates' cock-up (OS)you are using.

Firefox 25 Windoze XP

The search system is definitely different from what went before but I would not agree that it is counter-intuitive.

Not completely helpful if you are unable to even see the small note but the information may at least allow you to start using it and know what you hope to get back as results.

What is your current screen resolution?

a) we used to have a "search" button labelled as such, not a blank field and a gearwheel - that's what I mean by counter-intuitive in this case, and there are/were many other cases.

b) when you guess that the bit ForeverFI highlit in the blank field has something written in it, possibly "this topic" and click on it all you get is a choice of "this topic" forums" "members" etc. but nowhere to input what you want to search for - it seems the empty box needs that to be done in the left part and the symbol like a badly written "Q" is what gets the search going.

c) No idea what screen resolution I have as it's not something I need to know or change anywhere else.

Oh and thanks to all for trying to help - I think the amount of this sort of dialogue (or length of this thread) speaks for itself as the archives will show that there was a lot less when the last change was made and as for myself I don't recall having to ask anything much either when I joined or at the last revision.

#862 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 1,586 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 20:36

It's not an empty box, it says Search in it

#863 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:26

Hi, I'm having some issues with the 'quote' button, in that it doesn't work anymore. Pressing it takes me to reply box, but no quoted post is added. Problem occurred after IE updated to its latest version a couple days ago. A way to fix it?

I'm also not able to 'paste' content in the reply box.

#864 P123

P123

• 8,706 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 19:22

Hi, I'm having some issues with the 'quote' button, in that it doesn't work anymore. Pressing it takes me to reply box, but no quoted post is added. Problem occurred after IE updated to its latest version a couple days ago. A way to fix it?

I have similar issues.  Suspect the forum software may be a tad buggy with IE as it all works fine for me on Chrome.  Similarly the emoticons don't appear for me in IE, in either the basic message box or when 'more reply options' are selected.  Other issue with IE is that the text remains in the message box down the bottom after I have posted he message.

#865 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,579 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 22:59

F.M.

Does using the Ctrl + C (copy) and Ctrl +V (paste) keys work as a workround for the paste problem? I don't have the 'paste' option working here on Firefox, but it still lets me Ctrl+V stuff.

As to the quote button not working, as a workround, the button highlighted here:

jnCj8jfl.png

...and then 'plain text by default' selected worked for me on IE when I was having this issue a while back.

#866 condor

condor

• 11,301 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 14:55

I've been moaning about the smilies not working for weeks now - also an IE user, so perhaps that's where the problem is for Autosport to look at.

#867 KirilVarbanov

KirilVarbanov

• 858 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:19

The issue with the images not being shown immediately after a post is still present. Also, I think it has been reported on the previous pages, but when the picture isn't large, let's say, it's 240 x 100 pixels, the forum automatically resizes it and it makes it larger, which kills the precision and the look of it. 

#868 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,579 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:24

Okay, now on IE, Quote is still working but now I have the 'not being able to copy/paste' thing going on too. Sometimes my suggested fix upthread of using the 'plain text by default' works, sometimes not. However, switching the button on the far left of the top row, the 'lightswitch' above 'B', does work and will allow you to paste text if selected.

#869 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 8,596 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:22

The issue with the images not being shown immediately after a post is still present. Also, I think it has been reported on the previous pages, but when the picture isn't large, let's say, it's 240 x 100 pixels, the forum automatically resizes it and it makes it larger, which kills the precision and the look of it. 

Happening to me as well. I am not sure if still happening, or happening again. For me it was gone, so now is again.

:cool:

#870 RTH

RTH

• 5,742 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 13:53

Perhaps a complete forum software change would help ?

#871 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 3,277 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 14:55

As half a loaf is better than none, does the same analogy apply?

#872 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 22:45

Okay, now on IE, Quote is still working but now I have the 'not being able to copy/paste' thing going on too. Sometimes my suggested fix upthread of using the 'plain text by default' works, sometimes not. However, switching the button on the far left of the top row, the 'lightswitch' above 'B', does work and will allow you to paste text if selected.

Pasting works right now (with the 'plain text' option). Quoting works as well, but only when switching to the coded text format (light switch).

At least it's possible to do all again, 'cause it was pretty annoying :)

Edited by F.M., 23 November 2013 - 22:46.

#873 mouserat159

mouserat159

• 310 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 11:59

How do I reply to people's post, like F.M replied to SophieB above. I can't seem to be able to figure it out on the new forum

#874 Coral

Coral

• 2,842 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:09

How do I reply to people's post, like F.M replied to SophieB above. I can't seem to be able to figure it out on the new forum

Hit the "Quote" button at the bottom right corner of the post, then you can post underneath it. Or if you want to quote more than one person, hit "MultiQuote."

#875 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 22:19

If pressing the quote button takes you to the reply-field at the bottom of the page, but no quote shows up, press the lightswitch button on the top left corner of the reply-field to switch to the 'coded text form'. Quoting should work then.

#876 mouserat159

mouserat159

• 310 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 00:56

Hi Coral and F.M,
Thank you for your help, as you will see I was able to do it with you help.

If pressing the quote button takes you to the reply-field at the bottom of the page, but no quote shows up, press the lightswitch button on the top left corner of the reply-field to switch to the 'coded text form'. Quoting should work then.

#877 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,139 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 17:14

Is it possible to do something about the "SEARCH" function.  I have seen other people complaining about it and now I can see the issue.  I searched for something I know is there (there being the Nostalgia Forum archive) and despite searching for four different related words it didn't show up. Could the problem be related to the age of the thread I was looking for?

#878 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,514 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 18:17

Is it possible to do something about the "SEARCH" function.  I have seen other people complaining about it and now I can see the issue.  I searched for something I know is there (there being the Nostalgia Forum archive) and despite searching for four different related words it didn't show up. Could the problem be related to the age of the thread I was looking for?

Until they do fix it, try using Google Site Search, Duncan. On lots of websites it can actually be better than the native search: London Gazette is a notable example!

Make sure the word(s) or exact phrase you are looking for are enclosed in double quote marks and then add this to your search - site:forums.autosport.com/forum/10-the-nostalgia-forum/

That will should find anything in the main TNF, but you will need to adjust the text for the sub-fora:

Archive: site:forums.autosport.com/forum/32-tnfs-archive/

Historical: site:forums.autosport.com/forum/29-historical-research/

Collectables: site:forums.autosport.com/forum/28-racing-collectables/

Motorcycle racing: site:forums.autosport.com/forum/27-motorcycle-racing-nostalgia/

You could simply search site:forums.autosport.com but that would return results from every forum (except Paddock Club, which is protected so can't be crawled by Google's web bots).

#879 Option1

Option1

• 13,478 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 18:28

The issue of images appearing in size = gianormous until a refresh appears to be back.

Neil

Advertisement

#880 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 8,596 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 18:42

The issue of images appearing in size = gianormous until a refresh appears to be back.

Neil

Same issue for me.

:cool:

#881 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,139 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 19:23

I think I have found one of the problems, which is unique to searching the Nostalgia Forum.

With the old software you had the choice of searching all forums or just one.  If you selected the Nostalgia Forum, you also searched the subforums.

With the new software similarly if you carry out the search on the "Forums" page it searches all forums, but if you are in a particular forum it says"Search This Forum" but you actually search the subforum you are in.  So, if looking for something you have to go into each subforum in turn and search it: The main Nostalgia Forum, TNF's Archives, Historical Research and if necessary Racing Collectibles and Motor Cycle Racing Nostalgia.

I'll have to try Vitesse 2's suggestion of using Google Site Search

Edited by D-Type, 26 November 2013 - 19:25.

#882 ForeverF1

ForeverF1
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,580 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 20:55

Have you tried the advanced search?

ExtenSearch.png

SearchForm.png

#883 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,139 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 21:24

To be perfectly honest,  I didn't intuitively realise that the 'gear wheel' icon means "Advanced Search"

#884 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,213 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 22:25

Pasting works right now (with the 'plain text' option). Quoting works as well, but only when switching to the coded text format (light switch).

At least it's possible to do all again, 'cause it was pretty annoying :)

I have lost cut and paste...only this site/forum is effected....

#885 Zmeej

Zmeej

• 31,452 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 03:25

Precisian's Note: affected, not "effected."

#886 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,213 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 04:43

Precisian's Note: affected, not "effected."

Damn! I always thought affected, affectation etc was concerned with matters of the heart....oh well

#887 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,579 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 11:41

I have lost cut and paste...only this site/forum is effected....

Sorry to hear the issue has got you too. Are you posting this to let the developers know you're affected too in order to show the issue is widespread (which is valuable, by the way) or does the workround I suggested for F.M. upthread not work for you?

#888 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,213 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 21:39

Sorry to hear the issue has got you too. Are you posting this to let the developers know you're affected too in order to show the issue is widespread (which is valuable, by the way) or does the workround I suggested for F.M. upthread not work for you?

Yes feedback for developers. Yes it does work! Thank you Miss Hawkins :up:

QUOTE: Okay, now on IE, Quote is still working but now I have the 'not being able to copy/paste' thing going on too. Sometimes my suggested fix upthread of using the 'plain text by default' works, sometimes not. However, switching the button on the far left of the top row, the 'lightswitch' above 'B', does work and will allow you to paste text if selected.UNQUOTE

Edited by 275 GTB-4, 02 December 2013 - 21:40.

#889 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,713 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 16:24

Believe it or not...

I want to Un-Ignore a poster.

Yet I click the 'manage ignore prefs'

and lo...I am 'not ignoring any users'

But we know THAT'S wrong so..

What's the work around?

Mac OSX 10.6.8 / Firefox 25.0.1

Jp

Edited by jonpollak, 12 December 2013 - 16:00.

#890 ForeverF1

ForeverF1
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,580 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:27

Believe it or not...

I want to Un-Ignore a poster.

Yet I click the 'manage ignore prefs'

and lo...I am 'not ignoring any users'

But we know THAT'S wrong so..

What's the work around?

Mac OSX 10.6.8 / Firefox 25.0.1

Jp

A possible work-around (not tried and tested) is to re-ignore the user/s you previously ignored, then, un-ignore them. Might work. Win7 / Firefox 27.0 (Beta)

#891 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,139 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:07

890 posts: some asking questions, some reporting glitches, some giving answers, some giving work-arouinds, some suggesting alternative software, and a few acknowledgements from the people responsible.

And it still isn't right!

As I was told nearly 50 years ago, there is a computer programmers' and system analysts' acronym: GIGO = Garbage In > Garbage Out

1. What brief were the software developers given?  Did they meet it? 
  2. Why weren't the forum moderators told what was happening? 
  3. Didn't anybody consider that it might be a good idea to brief the moderators?
  4. Has anybody made an attempt to collate all the reported faults and pass them to the developers? 
  5. Has anybody made an attempt to collate the problems people encounter in using the new forum system and produce some instructions or FAQs?
  6. Has anybody thought about introducing a simple trouble reporting system - even as simple as a name to report to?

Basically, does anyone from Autosport care?  Or is it a case of "So long as the advertising revenue and subscriptions roll in".

[/RANT]

Edited by D-Type, 05 January 2014 - 10:01.

#892 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 3,277 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:22

Can we now assume that the inherent vagaries of this new system will forever preclude IE users from a fully working forum?

#893 chdphd

chdphd

• 1,436 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:41

My method of using web forums is to click view new content, choose the threads I want to read, read them, and then mark all content as read. This means I only see new things.

"View new content" isn't working for me here anymore. Not matter which options I choose, I'm only offered one thread.

:confused:

#894 KirilVarbanov

KirilVarbanov

• 858 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:42

"View new content" isn't working for me here anymore. Not matter which options I choose, I'm only offered one thread.

:confused:

It works for me. I know that's the answer of the sys admin, but it really works, otherwise I'm having hard time navigating through the forum. 

Usability is still what's holding me back from being a frequent visitor or poster. I've been more than 20 years in the computing industry, I cannot accept bad design and crappy usability. 
The 50 posts per page is a big issue for me - I hate endless scrolls. Add to that the tons of content when a single page is being loaded. This means a browser blocking behavior, i.e. if you are listening a song in a Youtube tab, the song is going to stop, as the page has lots of stuff inside. 
Example of it is here - http://forums.autosp...014-challenger/

This particular topic isn't that large in terms of size - around 230 KB content, but it takes about 230 HTTP requests as well to load them all. This takes time. The DOM is loaded in about 3 to 4 seconds, whereas the whole page takes around 13 seconds. I understand there's external content, I can see it, but these are 50 posts! I lose patience and will to scroll through all of them. Why not 10 or 20, or make it configurable per users' preferences? 

Next, once again, we have the color scheme and the multitude of buttons. I'm having hard times navigating through the pages. More and more sites tend to become simpler and easier to read, and this forum is going into a backwards direction. The gray color scheme isn't helping either. Buttons' colors are look alike, and you simply spend more time than you are supposed to on the page, looking for something. This is what bothers me more than missing functionality. 
I have already shared concerns on this one, and I cannot lie - actions have been taken. The separator line between posts has been improved, which added to the overall usefulness, but it was a drop in the sea. 

#895 chdphd

chdphd

• 1,436 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 22:14

My "View new content" thing is working again :)

#896 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,713 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:38

A possible work-around (not tried and tested) is to re-ignore the user/s you previously ignored, then, un-ignore them. Might work. Win7 / Firefox 27.0 (Beta)

Yep..that worked for me FF1

Thanks,

Jp

#897 Garagiste

Garagiste

• 3,796 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 18:14

I understand that advertising is what makes the forum free for us to use, but could we possibly have less heaving animated breasty dumplings?

At least during working hours! ;)

#898 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,361 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 22:59

exuu.png

wf0c.png

Whats wrong with these pictures?

Makes the "mobile version" entirely ****ing useless. Running Android on S3.

Edited by Tenmantaylor, 03 January 2014 - 23:05.

#899 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,871 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 15:41

Does this happen on other fora too? With Safari on iOS (I'm using it somewhere on the M6 motorway now) the page lifts so that it's all above the keyboard so there's something written into the code somewhere to make that happen. I don't have an android device to test this with.

Advertisement

#900 ReWind

ReWind

• 2,414 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 18:39

May I post a link to the TNF?

Is there an explanation for the strange behaviour of the software concerning exactly that kind of linking?

I would be glad to get an answer.