New AUTOSPORT forums

• Please log in to reply
1009 replies to this topic

#51 RDV

RDV

• 6,719 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 18:15

Passing on from Zmeej=

As are some of the posters above, I’m an old dog who doesn’t like change much, but then, but given that I watch F1, there’s a good chance I also like modern stuff. Also very much like Toronto’s new subways – they’re sleek, as well as very well designed ergonomically and otherwise.

The new forum design, however, is assaultively hideous, and difficult to read.

It is also counter-intuitively different from the “Atlas” format. To boot, it represents a radical shift far more dramatic than the one Autosport was asked to revert back from a few years ago.

It also came with absolutely no warning.

:down:  :down:  :down:  :down:  :down:  :down: 

...as for oneself, saw for the first time now, initial reaction aaarghhh...might mellow with time...is it for those bloody iphones?

Advertisement

#52 kimster89

kimster89

• 617 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 18:16

It really did take long to change. It was hard to wait.

Could u please also make some sort of chat, i would like to meet more other forumers.

#53 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 23,747 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 18:16

Thanks!

Can't find info on how to get to first unread post, thou. Other questions quite answered.

Unread post details won't have carried over from the old board. Easiest way will be just to mark all forums read and start again.

#54 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,163 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 18:18

Edit...aah...I have just found where the old posts are...the "Find content" button. Phew what a relief!  :)

Yes, but that only brings up your last 1,000 posts, not all of them.

#55 MrAerodynamicist

MrAerodynamicist

• 13,666 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 18:20

The mobile version is better in terms of economical use of screen space. It's a shame I dislike mobile versions and  their removrd functionality.

Also: mid-stream ads? Really? 

#56 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 3,925 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 18:23

Can I ask at least for some "normal" color scheme as addition to that? Like whole black or so.

#57 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,174 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 18:24

If you subscribe, mid stream ads go.

#58 fifi

fifi

• 12,142 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 18:25

It really did take long to change. It was hard to wait.

Could u please also make some sort of chat, i would like to meet more other forumers.

there is a chat room see the link in my sig

#59 Grayson

Grayson
  • AUTOSPORT digital product manager

• 1,293 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 18:28

btw everyone recheck your profile settings, seems the default is to receive offers from Haymarket and share info with third parties...

Data permissions have been copied across from the old forums. We wouldn't be allowed to change them from "no" to "yes" without asking you so they must have been set that way on the old forums.

Though you used to work for Haymarket so I assume that the company is claiming possession of your soul regardless of data permissions...

Advertisement

#60 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 5,956 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 18:31

I have noticed that the "go to first unread comment" isn't working, but perhaps that data was lost in the upgrade?

Just to update, it's only threads you last read before the update that aren't going to new posts. New ones are working fine, guess my hunch was correct.

Anyway, the theme is rather bland, and I'd appreciate it being easier to tell which threads you've read or posted in. Of course, it's much more important to get the servers and forum software upgraded and running smoothly before focusing on optimising the theme.

#61 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 18:36

Yeah as long as the forum runs well on race weekends I'm happy.  :up:

#62 Wingcommander

Wingcommander

• 670 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 18:41

It looks a bit...grey. Too grey for my taste. The contrast is quite big, but i suppose i'll get used to it.

#63 Coral

Coral

• 2,704 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 18:45

Yes, but that only brings up your last 1,000 posts, not all of them.

Oh my gosh you're right, mine only go back to last year:eek:

Please tell me that my old posts have not been lost...  :cry:

#64 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,136 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 18:48

They've not been lost! Do an advanced search: http://forums.autosp...earch_in=forums

#65 MrAerodynamicist

MrAerodynamicist

• 13,666 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 18:57

If you subscribe, mid stream ads go.

Ah, didn't notice I wasn't logged in to Autosport main.

#66 plumtree

plumtree

• 712 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 19:01

Not meant to be ungrateful at all though, for someone who used to use 20 posts per page option, 50 posts per page is quite a change. It'd be great if the option becomes available again. I also wish there is a theme with grayish background color (like the color that quote message looks in). Can you let us read text in a browser default font? I loved my Verdana.  :p Wish there is a toggle button to hide sub forum in the top part of Racing Comments Forum. At the moment the top area seems too busy. In fact it takes the whole screen of my laptop before I can see the page number / start new thread line. One more.. probably it's not possible due to the top navigator bar though, allowing narrower minimum width size would be greatly appreciatedThank you.  :kiss:

#67 Coral

Coral

• 2,704 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 19:01

They've not been lost! Do an advanced search: http://forums.autosp...earch_in=forums

That's not what I mean...I don't want to do an "advanced search." How do I read my posts in chronological order? How can I find my first post from 2007? How do I find posts I made, for example, on 2nd November 2008?  :well:

#68 AlexS

AlexS

• 2,302 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 19:02

Forum seems to be faster, i am testing a Opera browser btw.

The look is unfortunately much worse with the black horizontal bars with posters name inside threads, this makes a hideous repetitive brake.

Thanks to Ross Stonefeld about this:

Data permissions have been copied across from the old forums. We wouldn't be allowed to change them from "no" to "yes" without asking you so they must have been set that way on the old forums.

Though you used to work for Haymarket so I assume that the company is claiming possession of your soul regardless of data permissions...

I doubt since in all this years i didn't received any promotion.

#69 Sisyphus

Sisyphus

• 129 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 19:03

My opinion is that the new interface is hideous.  Was anyone asking to have the layout changed?  It now looks like some of the low rent racer boy websites I've stumbled across.

A change that just increases entropy is not a change for the better.

#70 Sin

Sin

• 1,932 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 19:03

my only critic is the new design I think it is less clear and intuitive than the old one, but I hope we maybe will get new design options in the future

#71 pixelpunk

pixelpunk

• 97 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 19:04

Wow, surprised by the new aesthetic. The old forums wasn't particularly nice and a change was due I guess. From old experience I'll get used to this in a small amount of time, even though initial reaction is to much contrast and quite boring to go with the Apple theme of old. 

To much vertical space seems to go to waste as well, it's the popular thing and lowers the barrier to entry maybe. But for addicts and regulars it's just waste.

I'll get used to it, good work on migration and having it up with few issues (if any). I'm not fond of the change, but will get used to it.

#72 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,136 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 19:05

That's not what I mean...I don't want to do an "advanced search." How do I read my posts in chronological order? How can I find my first post from 2007? How do I find posts I made, for example, on 2nd November 2008?  :well:

By configuring the options in the Advanced Search.  :)

#73 Sin

Sin

• 1,932 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 19:07

Is there a way to adjust the markers for read/unread threads ? I'm sure I'll adjust to it but the contrast between threads I've posted in/read or not isn't immediately apparent.

yeah that's also my biggest problem with the new design

and the contrast is too strong

Edited by Sin, 20 August 2013 - 19:10.

#74 cornermarker

cornermarker

• 54 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 19:08

It's difficult to enjoy looking at this for too long, and the forum layout has lost all of it's character as well.  I was going to say it feels like I'm on Planetf1's forum, but after checking that out, even it has more charm.  Very disappointed in the change.

#75 Grayson

Grayson
  • AUTOSPORT digital product manager

• 1,293 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 19:08

Just to confirm what a few of you have already guessed, the previously read posts haven't been carried across. Clicking on the circle (or the star if you've posted) to the left of the thread to go to the latest unread post should work for any posts you've read since we came back online.

#76 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 19,898 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 19:09

Author = coral
Start date = 2 November 2008
End date = 2 November 2008
Show results as posts

#77 Coral

Coral

• 2,704 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 19:12

By configuring the options in the Advanced Search.   :)

I have no idea how to do that...how do I read my posts in chronological order then? I have never had cause to use the search function, because the board has always been very user-friendly. This all seems too complicated for me.  :(

#78 Hack

Hack
  • AUTOSPORT dev manager

• 8,835 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 19:14

Can we embed YouTube videos yet? :p

Let's see... :up:

#79 Anonymous

Anonymous

• 2,948 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 19:16

Oh man, finally. It was about time. It's not 2003 anymore.

Advertisement

#80 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,476 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 19:17

Perfect, other than the slightly stretched Autosport logo.  :cool:

#81 Tiakumosan

Tiakumosan

• 280 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 19:17

Nice.  :up:

#82 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 3,925 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 19:18

It's difficult to enjoy looking at this for too long, and the forum layout has lost all of it's character as well.  I was going to say it feels like I'm on Planetf1's forum, but after checking that out, even it has more charm.  Very disappointed in the change.

sweet god. Completely agree. I hate PF1 forum layout, but Autosport now is even more hideous. 

- Posts looks pretty big eventho they have like 1-2 lanes

- Whole layout simply sucks. No offence towards your CSS guy but for god's sake. That color mix will bring epilepsy to some users. How you can pick such colors? at least let the people to pick one of few themes. Mix of black, 2 shades of grey, red and white... That red is worst in all of that. 

- When posting in the thread you sometimes feel that there is something odd with all these gray bars taht says nick and such. You might wonder if the post was wrote by the guy in down or up gray bar.

For sake of peps that can't stand the theme, can you give alternative of different theme?

Or at least remove the red, you can take it black-white or something, cause it just looks at the very moment SO OUT OF THE PLACE.

#83 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,163 posts

By configuring the options in the Advanced Search.   :)

However you configure the options, it only ever shows the last 1,000 posts that fit those selection criteria.

#84 Ravenak

Ravenak

• 939 posts

What happens in my signature needs some fixing :p

#85 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,476 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 19:20

What happens in my signature needs some fixing :p

Instead of posting the link, embed it in the text.

#86 BRG

BRG

• 11,390 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 19:22

We'll all soon get used to the changes and if it irons out some technical issues, then that's good.

But really, the colour scheme?  Surely something a little softer and more restful could have been chosen?  A bit more of the Autosport house red, for instance, instead of all this BLACK.

Edited by BRG, 20 August 2013 - 19:23.

#87 Coral

Coral

• 2,704 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 19:29

However you configure the options, it only ever shows the last 1,000 posts that fit those selection criteria.

Yes you're right unfortunately...I did a search of my posts from January 2007 to August 2013 and they only went back to December 2010...1,000 posts.

This is a step backwards in my opinion.  :down:

#88 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,668 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 19:31

Ask around, I bet officially the word is 'never heard of him'  :lol:

#89 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 5,956 posts

Yes you're right unfortunately...I did a search of my posts from January 2007 to August 2013 and they only went back to December 2010...1,000 posts.

Forgive me for saying, but can't you then just do a new search from December 10 backwards?

#90 Ravenak

Ravenak

• 939 posts

Instead of posting the link, embed it in the text.

It still needs to be corrected, not everyone in the future will know they need to do so.

#91 Coral

Coral

• 2,704 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 19:41

Forgive me for saying, but can't you then just do a new search from December 10 backwards?

Yes I suppose so, but why must I have to use the search function in the first place? Why can't I just click on a name and see all the posts a certain person has ever made as I have always done?! Why make life complicated!!!  :mad: 

#92 Zoe

Zoe

• 2,711 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 19:42

I'm just unhappy that there's no way to go back to the "old" theme and I'll have to do with the ugly new scheme causing eye cancer.....

I guess, this is just a global plot, paired with the horrible Sport1 MotoGP broadcast, the new engine rules in F1, to help me enjoy more free time over the weekends in the future....

Not my cup of tea, no Sir.

Zoe

#93 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,403 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 19:42

The theme's a bit white for my taste, other than that on a very very early first glance, it looks fine?

I like that the layout adjusts to uses the whole width of the screen now.

#94 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 19,898 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 19:46

Yes I suppose so, but why must I have to use the search function in the first place? Why can't I just click on a name and see all the posts a certain person has ever made as I have always done?! Why make life complicated!!!  :mad: 

what is so important about your own posts that you need to be able to list all 2266 posts with one click?

#95 Afterburner

Afterburner

• 3,176 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 20:03

I was a bit apprehensive about how this would work at first, but I think it'll just take some getting used to over time. Some things are in new places, others are new altogether, but nothing of significant importance has been removed and that's what matters.

I have a few suggestions, however:

- If possible, do away with the 'like' buttons. I know they're a marketing junkie's ultimate fantasy, but they'll only serve to turn the forum into a popularity contest sooner rather than later, and that makes for a pretty obnoxious forum environment.

- Restrict signatures to text only. I thought this restriction was annoying on the old forum at first, but holy crap am I going to be irritated if I have to scroll past an embedded YouTube video in every other signature. Unfortunately I'll probably just be turning sigs off altogether if this becomes an issue--it will definitely prove to have a negative impact on those of us with slower internet/computers.

- Give us the option to toggle avatars on and off while browsing the topic list. I don't mind seeing people's avatars next to their posts (makes them easy to identify), but I don't really think having them present while browsing the topic list improves the experience too much.

- Reinstate a 'quick navigation' feature at the bottom of the page that can be used to jump from forum to forum without having to load multiple pages. I started using this a lot towards the end of the old forum's lifespan and will probably miss it now that it's gone.

If options for the above already exist, then disregard them--I haven't fully explored everything yet.  :blush: Either way, I think this would end up being an improvement over the old software if the above changes are implemented, especially if it handles high levels of traffic better. I know that the software for this thing is basically a pre-packaged kit with some stuff hard-coded in (and it seems you guys have taken out a lot of the more irritating things already), but hopefully the above features will be tweaked a bit. Thanks guys.

Oh, and one last thing--I never once had a problem browsing the 'old' forum on a mobile device. There were a few hard-to-reach buttons, but nothing a quick 'zoom' wouldn't fix. Scrolling to the side slightly would fix any readability issues. I'm off to go load it up on my media player right now and see what it looks like now.

EDIT: Never mind--new mobile version is much better. Thanks. :)

Edited by Afterburner, 20 August 2013 - 20:17.

#96 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 10,475 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 20:04

Thank you guys turning my good ol' Compaq into home solarium! Since we have had so rainy days in past few weeks, I really welcome my screen lightening my living room and few other house's livingrooms also. Granny at neighbourhood brought me box of chocolade helping to have x-ray for her during my bright lap top screen. Amazing.

If you guys could do forum any better, could we have every other reply as advertisements? Or better yet! Ad-Bot members telling us about discounted tampons at Asda?

Cheers,

Kani

#97 Sin

Sin

• 1,932 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 20:09

I was a bit apprehensive about how this would work at first, but I think it'll just take some getting used to over time. Some things are in new places, others are new altogether, but nothing of significant importance has been removed and that's what matters.

I have a few suggestions, however:

- If possible, do away with the 'like' buttons. I know they're a marketing junkie's ultimate fantasy, but they'll only serve to turn the forum into a popularity contest sooner rather than later, and that makes for a pretty obnoxious forum environment.

- Restrict signatures to text only. I thought this restriction was annoying on the old forum at first, but holy crap am I going to be irritated if I have to scroll past an embedded YouTube video in every other signature. Unfortunately I'll probably just be turning sigs off altogether if this becomes an issue--it will definitely prove to have a negative impact on those of us with slower internet/computers.

- Give us the option to toggle avatars on and off while browsing the topic list. I don't mind seeing people's avatars next to their posts (makes them easy to identify), but I don't really think having them present while browsing the topic list improves the experience too much.

- Reinstate a 'quick navigation' feature at the bottom of the page that can be used to jump from forum to forum without having to load multiple pages. I started using this a lot towards the end of the old forum's lifespan and will probably miss it now that it's gone.

If options for the above already exist, then disregard them--I haven't fully explored everything yet.  :blush: Either way, I think this would end up being an improvement over the old software if the above changes are implemented, especially if it handles high levels of traffic better. I know that the software for this thing is basically a pre-packaged kit with some stuff hard-coded in (and it seems you guys have taken out a lot of the more irritating things already), but hopefully the above features will be tweaked a bit. Thanks guys.

Oh, and one last thing--I never once had a problem browsing the 'old' forum on a mobile device. There were a few hard-to-reach buttons, but nothing a quick 'zoom' wouldn't fix. Scrolling to the side slightly would fix any readability issues. I'm off to go load it up on my media player right now and see what it looks like now.

this :up:

#98 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,420 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 20:09

I prefer the time format to be 24hours, but I can't figure out how to change it! 

...and my eyes hurt - too big contrast, and black and white are too "sad". 

But I'm sure, in time, I'll also discover things I like about this change.

#99 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 2,900 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 20:18

So now do Jan 2007- Dec 2010.

Advertisement

#100 JSDSKI

JSDSKI

• 1,439 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 20:18

Font choice, graphics, and layout must be selected for mobile phone use. 

On a cpu - not so much.  Old font and colors were more "open" and "readable".  Scanned much better.