Photo

New AUTOSPORT forums

• Please log in to reply
1016 replies to this topic

#1001 saudoso

saudoso

• 4,592 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 20:34

After a long struggle I managed to upgrade IE in my system from 9 to 11 (btw, if someone is stuck with IE10/11 failing to start drop me a line, took me an year to fix it by myself since none of the suggestions google brought me worked).

On the bright side I got my simileys back and the memory leak is gone.

But more often than not I can't quote or post images. And sometimes I just cant type in the text boxes around here.

Edited by saudoso, 15 May 2014 - 20:35.

Advertisement

#1002 ReWind

ReWind

• 2,358 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 18:38

Please have a look at that post (# 46):
Do you find Alain Prost (b. 24 Feb 1955)?
Okay.
Now click on the "Quote" button at the bottom of that post.
And tell me whether you still find Alain Prost (or anyone else born between January 28 and March 18, 1955) or not.

I am waiting for your answers and an explanation for the strange behaviour of the new forum software.

Thank you.

EDIT:

Just in case that someone still follows my suggestion and wonders what I am talking about:

Meanwhile I copied and pasted the content of the post - but without the ominous links (see post # 1007) - and that seems to have been the cure for the problem.

Edited by ReWind, 14 July 2014 - 15:36.

#1003 Ksharp

Ksharp

• 51 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:29

Major LOL with Internet Explorer options - I'm not able to copy and paste. The previous consideration of paid subscription is gone. 

#1004 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 6,013 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 14:00

Has there been a change recently to the forum login process? I usually go in through the Autosport.com home page (because I'm a subscriber and I avoid adverts that way). I have found recently that I have to login again when I go to the forum home page.

#1005 David Lawson

David Lawson

• 868 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 14:51

I am a subscriber and always click on forums through the Autosport home page, it hasn't asked me to log in again so I guess they haven't changed anything.

David

#1006 Zmeej

Zmeej

• 30,713 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:22

Mr. Clark :wave:

IIRC, whether you were a subscriber or not, you always had to login to access the Paddock Club,

as membership in the PC is independent of subscription.

However, if you logged in once with the "Remember me" box checked, then every iteration of the software,

even the latest, has allowed you to skip this step, as long as you don't clear your cookies.

If you do clear cookies, then you essentially have to re-accept them.

The other fora don't require membership, and so don't require a login in any case.

#1007 ANF

ANF

• 650 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 18:21

Please have a look at that post (# 46):

Do you find Alain Prost (b. 24 Feb 1955)?

Okay.

Now click on the "Quote" button at the bottom of that post.

And tell me whether you still find Alain Prost (or anyone else born between January 28 and March 18, 1955) or not.

I am waiting for your answers and an explanation for the strange behaviour of the new forum software.

Thank you.

It looks to me like this is caused by apostrophes in some or the URLs at racingsportscars.com. The first one appears in "Jun'ichi-Ikura-J.html". The forum software apparently treats this apostrophe as a closing quotation mark, shortening the URL to "Jun'. As there is another quotation mark after .html, the A tag isn't closed properly and the whole list of drivers down to the next apostrophe in the post – in the URL of François O'Born – is interpreted as part of the link to Ikura's page.

#1008 ReWind

ReWind

• 2,358 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 14:00

Thanks for your input, ANF.

The strange thing is that I edited that post for the last time on May 28. At the Alain Prost entry I changed a dead link for a valid one.

Everything was okay then.

Two days later I intended to insert some new entries (people born in 1955). That day I noticed that all the entries between January 28 and March 18 (which had been in perfect condition just two days earlier) were not visible anymore when I opened the window for editing.

I am totally sure that I did not change anything at the Ikura resp. O'Born entries.

So the mystery is, what happened between May 28 and May 30?

I would appreciate it if someone from the AUTOSPORT staff or the IT systems would care about this.

#1009 Grayson

Grayson
  • AUTOSPORT digital product manager

• 1,331 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 16:18

I would appreciate it if someone from the AUTOSPORT staff or the IT systems would care about this.

There was definitely no change from our end between 28th May and 30th May. I tried to work out an answer when you first posted this a couple of weeks ago I'm afraid that I can't shed any light on this...

#1010 HP

HP

• 14,214 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:01

Thanks for your input, ANF.

The strange thing is that I edited that post for the last time on May 28. At the Alain Prost entry I changed a dead link for a valid one.

Everything was okay then.

Two days later I intended to insert some new entries (people born in 1955). That day I noticed that all the entries between January 28 and March 18 (which had been in perfect condition just two days earlier) were not visible anymore when I opened the window for editing.

I am totally sure that I did not change anything at the Ikura resp. O'Born entries.

Did you use the same computer, same browser, same browser version?

The reason I am asking is because right now this modern way of editing pages has huge issues with different browsers. For example. You create a message with Firefox, and even on the same computer you later edit a message using Chrome, you might miss info, or even if everything appears to be fine, after editing in Chrome, later when you view the same page with Firefox again info might be missing. And then add the other browsers into the fold, and the problem compounds. Also since browsers like Chrome usually make silent updates, they  might fix an issue, but if you edit then things might go wrong.These are bugs that drive developers (i do develop webpages, but not this one) nuts, because they are nearly impossible to track down, and even less so fixable, because these issues often originate in different browsers.

The problem is that these days certain browser vendors are doing exactly what they themselves condemned Microsoft for. Adding new features all the time (especially webkit based browsers)  just to be ahead of everyone else. But they often break things, and any IT department can't use all their time to develop workarounds for every brain fart from browser developers.. Probably the scariest thing I've seen is with IOS6. Not in terms what it could do, but what it left out, and so people using that one are missing out.

Probably the best advice that I can give is: Create a message and don't ever edit it if you can. For yourself use the same browser, all the time if you can. Others might still have troubles viewing your stuff. So is life..

So when I post things I purposely steer clear from any formatting or inserting whatever, as chances grow exponentially that things go wrong.

In short: Web 2.0 locks fancy, but under the hood it sucks. The resaon is before there was only Microsoft and Netscape. Now there are a few players more, where everybody does what they think is best for them.

#1011 ReWind

ReWind

• 2,358 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:19

@HP: The ominous post exists since 2011 and got updated umpteenth times. I always use Firefox, and between May 28 and May 30 there were no different versions.

To not edit a post like that is no option because a list of life dates is of course a work in motion.

But at the moment the problem is solved (see the editing of post # 1002).

#1012 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,735 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:05

Dont know as this is the right place. The search function again is useless. I tried to search 'Bill Patterson'  and got ONE answer. Actually the page that it is on has his name mentioned a couple of times. And there is several threads with his name mentioned.

The search was never good before the 'upgrade' and since has been totally useless.

Could the site admin people please do something with this,,, PLEASE

#1013 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,041 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:13

Select the little gear next to the search box (I find the defaults useless unless searching for members or searching in a thread)

at Find Words type in "Bill Paterson" with quotation marks

At Match select Only Search in Content

at Find in Forum scroll down to The Nostalgia Forum

at Display Results check As Posts

hit Search Now and you should get Your search for the term "bill patterson" returned 331 results

#1014 GMiranda

GMiranda

• 22 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 13:27

I have a question: How can I put a topic in printing mode and print it in a whole?

Edited by GMiranda, 05 August 2014 - 13:27.

#1015 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,025 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 15:07

I have a question: How can I put a topic in printing mode and print it in a whole?

There is no longer a print version option Guilherme. You will need to use a 'virtual printer': the easiest I know of is CutePDF Writer, which converts the entire page into PDFs and then asks you where you wish to save it on your computer. I also use a Firefox extension called Print Edit which can remove anything you don't want printed first: it can also produce PDFs.

#1016 GMiranda

GMiranda

• 22 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 15:14

Thanks.... I didn't print things on TNF for a long time and I couldn't find any solution.

#1017 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 3,061 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 15:34

I see the "developers" are still at work, with the usual result. Kindle over the last couple of days does not show emoticons and defaults to mobile version at each turn on. Of course, the IE problems remain and presumably will continue to do so.