Photo

New AUTOSPORT forums

• Please log in to reply
1023 replies to this topic

#101 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,334 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 20:21

:up:  On the like button. Great way for people to lazily show support. Good job Grayson, “Do what you feel in your heart to be right – for you’ll be criticized anyway.” 

― Eleanor Roosevelt

The mobile version is a welcome addition but couple points regarding it:
xxyf.png

1. Don't know if this image link works but I can't use image tags in mobile mode without switching to web version.

2. If you can see the image its a screengrab from my S3. Whats the thinking behind these 6 shortcuts? Why on earth would I want to see a list of members? The main thing I want a shortcut to is list of my posts so I can see where I left off. This is easy on the new desktop site using my content.

Edited by Tenmantaylor, 20 August 2013 - 20:59.

Advertisement

#102 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,058 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 20:31

I prefer the time format to be 24hours, but I can't figure out how to change it! 

...and my eyes hurt - too big contrast, and black and white are too "sad". 

But I'm sure, in time, I'll also discover things I like about this change.

I like 24h times and the contrast is painful for me too and like you I find it hard to find any way of changing anything.

It's probably because of the redundant "like this" buttons and other geek-led gimmicks and the huge area of white space that all the useful buttons are microscopic (and often in grey type) that I can't find the direct Forum Jump or the "Search this thread" that we had before.

What I can't understand is if this has all been changed for the smart phone people, why is the navigation button print smaller and greyer than we with normal sized computer screens like?

#103 manmower

manmower

• 372 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 20:31

I agree with those saying that the old colours where easier on the eyes, new theme is really stark and high contrast, what is this, black Arial on a white background? The old one was a bit softer and had better fonts and font sizes.

Other than that I'm feeling a bit disoriented at the moment, but I'm sure that will pass. And from where I'm sitting it seems to load and scroll just as fast as the old forum.  :up:

#104 chdphd

chdphd

• 1,429 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 20:37

Forgive me if I got the wrong end of the stick, but is the Like thing just for the user themselves? It toggles between "Like this" and "Unlike". Not +1 or a number.

#105 chdphd

chdphd

• 1,429 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 20:48

So, I got a notifcation that someone liked my last post :kiss:

They must have unliked it once because I got told they liked it twice :D

Edit: Or they liked two of my posts. It only tells you the thread.

Edited by chdphd, 20 August 2013 - 20:50.

#106 A3

A3

• 20,646 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 20:55

If I click on this link the link opens in the same window/tab. I hate it when forum software does that, I want it to open in a new window or tab!

#107 Antonov

Antonov

• 588 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 20:56

my compliments for the new forum look.

The only thing lacking now is flags reflecting our nationalities under the profile.

#108 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,334 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 21:02

The only thing lacking now is flags reflecting our nationalities under the profile.

Countries are so 20th Century. The Web is nationless. And the 21st Century is all about corporations!

Ooh, quoting is fancy now. Shows it in a little window.  :up:

#109 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,725 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 21:02

All my life I fight against people seeing the world only in black and white.

I'm afraid it's a losing battle  ;)     :|

I guess I'll accept it after a while - but what's the reason for it? Is it indeed mobilemania?

#110 plumtree

plumtree

• 712 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 21:13

Sorry, I was testing the feature.  :lol: I thought if I click 'like this' button my username was supposed to appear at the bottom of your post. 'XXX user' likes this, ala FB. Apparently it's not.  :p Yeah, I guess instead you can see the total number of likes that a poster received on the their profile page. 

Two more minor things, do we really need the default avatar? I don't have any particular intention to put any but don't want to that gray thing to be next to my username.  :lol: 
The previous ignore user list has disappeared. Not a big problem though, as the function is still working.  :wave:

Edit: Oh, I see, so if someone likes my post I get a notification 'who' likes my post from 'which' thread!
Btw, indeed :up: the new fancy quote function! 

Edited by plumtree, 20 August 2013 - 21:21.

#111 steferrari

steferrari

• 282 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 21:13

I think it would be nice if you add page numbers in the mobile version aswell. :)

#112 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,252 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 21:14

Ah so that's what happens when you click it. I randomly liked Grayson's post out of interest, but I didn't see any effect :p

#113 Grayson

Grayson
  • AUTOSPORT digital product manager

• 1,379 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 21:19

It'll take a bit of getting used to, but it's looking good. Well done! I like the new content filters :up:
Can you make clicking the Autosport logo on the top left go to the main site instead of the forum home?

We were considering this, but we thought that quite a lot of people might be clicking that logo to get back to the main forum page, and get annoyed if they landed on the main AUTOSPORT homepage instead.

The "Home" button which takes you to the main page is right next to the logo, so hopefully this works as a substitute...

#114 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 21:19

Sorry, I was testing the feature.  :lol: I thought if I click 'like this' button my username was supposed to appear at the bottom of your post. 'XXX user' likes this, ala FB. Apparently it's not.  :p Yeah, I guess instead you can see the total number of likes that a poster received on the their profile page. 

Two more minor things, do we really need the default avatar? I don't have any particular intention to put any but don't want to that gray thing to be next to my username.  :lol: 
The previous ignore user list has disappeared. Not a big problem though, as the function is still working.  :wave:

Just use a white square at your DP?

#115 Ria

Ria

• 295 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 21:27

It's really hurting my eyes too. And it would be nice to have/find forum jump.

#116 plumtree

plumtree

• 712 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 21:28

Click the time 'Sent Today, x:xx PM' next to the thread title for a direct link to the the specific post.  :)

Just use a white square at your DP?

Good idea! Still it feels redundant though.

#117 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 21:35

Good idea! Still it feels redundant though.

Yeah, a no avatar option to tick or something would be good for those who don't want anything. 

#118 Coral

Coral

• 2,807 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 21:36

what is so important about your own posts that you need to be able to list all 2266 posts with one click?

Not just my posts, everyone's posts! I'm sorry but I don't like having to use the search function to find a thread from 2008.  :well:

Also, the colour scheme is too harsh...it is making me cross-eyed under my desk lamp. I don't like this black and white, can it not be made a little softer?

#119 chdphd

chdphd

• 1,429 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 21:37

Click the time 'Sent Today, x:xx PM' next to the thread title for a direct link to the the specific post.  :)

That doesn't work for me. The time isn't clickble :well:

Anyhoo.

Advertisement

#120 Ze Bum

Ze Bum

• 231 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 21:45

There seems to be a bug with the time format. Old posts show the time correctly (Posted 19 August 2013 - 19:59) but today's and yesterday's posts and the topic list show the 12 hour format (Posted Yesterday, 08:02 PM). It takes a few seconds every time to convert the time in my head.

Is there a place to change this somewhere? I can't find most settings any more.

#121 Hack

Hack
  • AUTOSPORT dev manager

• 8,835 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 21:52

There seems to be a bug with the time format. Old posts show the time correctly (Posted 19 August 2013 - 19:59) but today's and yesterday's posts and the topic list show the 12 hour format (Posted Yesterday, 08:02 PM). It takes a few seconds every time to convert the time in my head

Good one, 24 hour was not applied to dates yesterday or today. Fixed :cat:

#122 Ze Bum

Ze Bum

• 231 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 22:02

Good one, 24 hour was not applied to dates yesterday or today. Fixed :cat:

Thanks!  :)

#123 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 8,323 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 22:04

I have yet to play around, so may find stuff I do not like. But having read comments so far, seems they mostly deal with stuff I do not use or have an interest in anyway. I absolutely hated the last upgrade, but before the forum went down I can not remember why, surely most of the 'newness' will become 'standard' in no time, after all I am on every day for several hours.

:cool:

#124 MrAerodynamicist

MrAerodynamicist

• 13,712 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 22:17

I threw together a basic Greasemonkey script that makes a couple of basic changes that I find make a significant difference.

http://pastebin.com/VEmt0vpd

#125 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,767 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 23:00

I think it looks terrible and is difficult to read.  :down:

#126 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,003 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 23:02

The theme is horrible. Too much white. Huge contrast. Not good for eyes.

Agree...its a shocker in that regard...way too much white space and the spacing of between text and objects in the layout are way too generous...

Suggest a little more compression....

Otherwise...still learning what's new :drunk:

#127 ANF

ANF

• 814 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 23:19

Using the Autosport desktop theme in Windows and I like it. Good font (Arial – I lack Helvetica) and a good line-height. And I like all the white space. :p

If anything, I would consider making the dark separators a little lighter just to soften things up a bit (although the contrast makes fast scrolling easier).

#128 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,003 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 23:42

Using the Autosport desktop theme in Windows and I like it. Good font (Arial – I lack Helvetica) and a good line-height. And I like all the white space. :p

If anything, I would consider making the dark separators a little lighter just to soften things up a bit (although the contrast makes fast scrolling easier).

Wait till people see what those separators print or scan like....lost count of the number of times I advised businesses to lighten up their headers/footers on Emails and Faxes to make them more copier friendly :well:  

#129 Grayson

Grayson
  • AUTOSPORT digital product manager

• 1,379 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 23:50

Wait till people see what those separators print or scan like....lost count of the number of times I advised businesses to lighten up their headers/footers on Emails and Faxes to make them more copier friendly :well:  

Are there people regularly printing off pages from the forums? We haven't exactly worried about making these pages printer friendly I'm afraid...

#130 prty

prty

• 5,164 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 00:04

- Appreciate the change to the more modern software, hopefully it won't hang out at peak times like usual

- But a lower contrast theme is desperately needed, as in within this week. Otherwise I don't think I'll visit it often, it's way too hard on eyes.

- In the old one, if you click the number of posts of a thread, you get a list of who posted on it. Then you clicked the post count by a given member and showed the post of that member in that thread. Now you can't click to that, is there any workaround?

- Spacing between lines needs to be way lower.

Edited by prty, 21 August 2013 - 00:06.

#131 akshay380

akshay380

• 561 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 00:20

Awesome job guys. I like the interface and ui for phone is a BIG plus. Thanks a tonne!

#132 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,384 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 00:35

Yeah, it's a bit violent on the eyes..

However,

As long as I can do all the old tricks the additions will be a bonus.

(Can these links still open in a new window?)

MUCH better on the mobile though.

Good Job

btw everyone recheck your profile settings, seems the default is to receive offers from Haymarket ...

Ah HA !!!

Cheeky backdoor spam attempt.

....If you've beefed up server side who cares.

Fired that IPS Driver have we ?

'bout time.

The dynamic "there are new posts" feature is quiet nifty.. they just load into the space above where you're writing without needing to reload the page.

Sounds handy for those 'heat of the moment', in-race threads.

#133 Sin

Sin

• 1,952 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 00:38

just that the haymarket stuff was for me default on off :o

Edited by Sin, 21 August 2013 - 00:38.

#134 10kDA

10kDA

• 22 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 00:46

Ugly, ugly, ugly. Scrolling is delayed. Clicking takes multiple attempts. Too nonfunctional for me to visit any more. See ya!

#135 CDNgrl

CDNgrl

• 6,676 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 00:58

i'm old.  I yearn for Atlas. 

End of an era.

When did I become my grandmother? (not that she yearned for Atlas - but was always nostalgic for "back then")

This just makes me sad.  I click on, and the change was literally a shock. WTF.  Where am I????  Certainly not visiting the familiar cozy place I've become used to over the years.  I know one should not fear change -- my complaint really isn't about the change (progress is good, right?) but about my gut reaction.  It just feels like the end of an era.  At least the end of "my" era.  Shit - there I go sounding like my grandmother.  Back in the day......

Edited by CDNgrl, 21 August 2013 - 01:03.

#136 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,788 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:35

I'll be accused of hating change for the sake of hating just but you guys are dead set kidding.

- It's way too harsh, very difficult on the eyes

- LOADS of wasted space, why such enormous gaps everywhere?

- The ATLAS skin is not anything like it was, it's the new skin with an orange bar ..... gold Jerry, gold.

- The default font on the white is just ****ing horrid, who approved this change?

- Have I mention the massive amount of wasted space?

- Ads, I guess you gotta make money but where they are is so annoying I am likely to block them

- Everything is so MASSIVE, I am on a 1600 pixel wide screen and everything is huge.

Just fail, fail on all fronts.

#137 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,019 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:21

Sounds handy for those 'heat of the moment', in-race threads.

oh heck yes.  AJAX FTW!

#138 baddog

baddog

• 23,520 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:16

My only real problem is that on a 1920x1080 screen more than HALF the vertical space on the actual forum page for each forum is lost to banners and 'secondary items', the threads (the actual forum) is pushed down to the bottom half. This is a bit crazy and flies in the face of functional logic. I come to the racing comments forum and my priority item is the most recently posted thread. Things like the subforums list need to be collapsed or at least compact (do I really need to see who posted last years ago in the archived forum every single time I visit?), and there is a good deal of empty grey bar up there too. Once you go into a thread it is all fine, and the forums homepage is all good too.. just the home page for each forum is badly laid out.

Edited by baddog, 21 August 2013 - 03:17.

#139 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,735 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:20

- Everything is so MASSIVE, I am on a 1600 pixel wide screen and everything is huge.

There's a bit of vertical space wasted between posts around the user signature area, otherwise I think on the contrary this layout uses more space than it did? The posts now go full width on the page.

Massive is actually kinda good. With all these ultra-high computer screen resolutions these days, the general tendency in a lot of places is to cramp as much content as you can into the screen - making it unreadable or overly crowded. I like the large font for example. On my laptop I have to zoom in on every website because otherwise you just can't read text in that full HD 17" screen, it's rather ridiculous (and I have good vision with contacts). I suspect I won't have to for this website now.

One thing you're right and everyone else is - the contrast is too high. Can we please please have either a "dark" skin (ex. white text on black background) and/or a low contrast one (ex. light grey background instead of full fat white background)?

Advertisement

#140 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,735 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:21

My only real problem is that on a 1920x1080 screen more than HALF the vertical space on the actual forum page for each forum is lost to banners and 'secondary items', the threads (the actual forum) is pushed down to the bottom half.

Now you mention it I hadn't noticed it but yeah it's a bit much on the header of the page, agreed on that.

#141 jhodges

jhodges

• 1,402 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:29

I'll be accused of hating change for the sake of hating just but you guys are dead set kidding.

- It's way too harsh, very difficult on the eyes

- The ATLAS skin is not anything like it was, it's the new skin with an orange bar ..... gold Jerry, gold.

- The default font on the white is just ****ing horrid, who approved this change?

- Have I mention the massive amount of wasted space?

- Ads, I guess you gotta make money but where they are is so annoying I am likely to block them

Just fail, fail on all fronts.

Agree completely. The colors, layout, all of it is retina-burning awful. I really miss the old forums.

#142 Rob G

Rob G

• 10,905 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:47

It'll take me a long time to get used to it, but my immediate impressions echo much of what has already been said. The contrast is way too harsh and there's so much white space that there will probably be a sharp increase in carpal tunnel syndrome cases among your readers from all the extra scrolling we'll have to do. Also, is there any way to darken the lines that separate one thread from another in each forum's home page? They are so faint that it all sort of runs together, despite the overabundance of white space. 

On the plus side, posting replies seems a bit more intuitive, the font is clean and legible, and it sounds as though mobile access will be improved by leaps and bounds.

#143 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,523 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:13

...I can't find the direct Forum Jump or the "Search this thread" that we had before.

The old 'Search thread' function was incredibly useful. Has it now gone, or am I just looking in the wrong place?

#144 babbel

babbel
  • Racing Sims Host

• 2,330 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:10

Is an upgrade to the MyAutosport BB widgets planned?

The thread overview is fine'ish but the post list is horrible, there is way way too much useless whitespace on "high" resolutions.

#145 fifi

fifi

• 12,153 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:16

Yeah, a no avatar option to tick or something would be good for those who don't want anything. 

yes please!!

#146 lustigson

lustigson

• 4,771 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:40

Looking good. Quite a bit more up to date than the previous version. Although all change will require some getting used to.  :)

#147 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,353 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:41

There's a lot that can be done with InVision in terms of customization

http://www.invisionp...s/customization

#148 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 5,169 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:46

Bring back the old Facebook!

I'll reserve judgement till I have a play on the proper pc version (on mobile ATM).
Maybe I'm missing something but can't find the quick jump to the end of a thread yet, maybe it's just my fault, but that's annoying me right now

#149 bogi

bogi

• 3,084 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:56

Nice change, only thing that bothers me is font size for topic names;

eyvz.png

Topic name should be bigger or bold or ''started by'' smaller font.

#150 KirilVarbanov

KirilVarbanov

• 851 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:29

First of all - congratulations for the will of change. It was much needed. Personally for me the forum will become a much nicer place and thus an incentive to visit it more often. 

A while ago in a local man magazine there was a column called "Good sh*t, bad sh*t". I will use this format. 

Good sh*t: 

• New formatting options (lots of them)
  • The mobile theme works awesome in under 10 inch tablet - automatically recognized it, nicely formatted, fast scrolling
  • The multitude of new options - especially under My Profile. Things like Gravatar integration are a nice feature. 

Bad sh*t: 

• The choice of color scheme - the black and white is very contrast - consider usage of light blue, grey 
  • Awesome amount of wasted space 
  • Font size too large - Arial 11 as default would be OK (Verdana sucks, however)
  • The number of posts on a single page - the user experience with such wide pages and with large scroll is more annoying than anything else. This is what makes users to abandon web places. Have a look at any web usability study - either consider the users' feedback (which appears to be almost the same) or hire a usability expert to fix those stuff. 
  • Finally, I couldn't log in via the mobile template this morning. Will report the error when I get back on my tablet. 

I hope this is constructive enough. 

Edited by kvarbanov, 21 August 2013 - 07:33.