* * * * - 2 votes

Button to Ferrari?

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#51 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 19:13

According to Button himself, he doesn't have a contract for 2014 signed yet.

Hmmm, interesting.  I wonder if it's about money?

Surely his management have to be talking to Ferrari.

Advertisement

#52 bauss

bauss

• 4,956 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 19:21

or Red Bull

#53 Zoetrope

Zoetrope

• 981 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 19:36

As much as I think there is no chance for this transfer to happen, I just want to point out that JB is the face of Santader for UK market.

#54 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 19:48

Now we are talking.. Button's "employed for life" contract with McLaren was always suspect. That means he can be out any moment after a reasonable contract period. 3 years is that.

#55 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 20:21

As much as I think there is no chance for this transfer to happen, I just want to point out that JB is the face of Santader for UK market.

That's very true.  

Also I'm thinking how Mac offered Lewis less than JB, to start with, last year.  ISTR rumour had Jense on £15m?  That's quite a lot, especially when Hulk would drive for a fraction of that.  I bet Mac want to bring it down.

#56 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 8,048 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 20:30

I doubt that Honda is going with McLaren without Button. Somehow I see Button as a Honda man, and if the drivers at Mclaren were suddenly two unproven drivers, why would that appeal to Honda? There have to be at least 1 GP winning driver in the team.

Button will stay with Mclaren, not going to Ferrari.

:cool:

#57 Burtros

Burtros

• 937 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 22:18

I see Button as ideal for Ferrari. His best quality is bringing the car home with good points without a fuss. For all the slating that goes on, harsh criticisim of his 2009 title doesnt stand up to close scrutiny and despite not being as fast as Hamilton, he was always close and even scored more points over the 3 seasons. The idea that whats happened this year is somehow down to him is absurd... as for Perez, hes ahead in all are0as and has twice as many points.

Basically, if Ferrari want a constructors title he is exactly the kind of number 2 they need. I dont think he'll do as well against Alonso as he did Hamilton, mainly because Alonso is faster and also posses many similar qualities to JB. I think it'd be a good move for both. JB would win some more GP for sure with a Ferrari I feel. Better for him than McLaren? I dont know. Probably!That hurts to say as a McLaren fan, a JB fan and a Ferrari hater....

Kimi to McLaren? there as many things saying to me it wont happen as there are his rumored move to Ferrari. He hates the McLaren promo work as we know, the atmosphere is supposdly ideal at Lotus and McLaren is very different. Also, are McLaren a better option than Lotus? Surely not unless the money issues run deeper then we know. On the other hand, I think he is a great option for McLaren if they have a quick car. A properly quick driver. If they are headed into a few years of struggle and development I cannot see Kimi being a good bet for them.

all in all, I dont think its very likely!

#58 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 9,772 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 22:24

... Just as likely as Massa at McLaren.

#59 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 22:44

I see Button as ideal for Ferrari. His best quality is bringing the car home with good points without a fuss. For all the slating that goes on, harsh criticisim of his 2009 title doesnt stand up to close scrutiny and despite not being as fast as Hamilton, he was always close and even scored more points over the 3 seasons. The idea that whats happened this year is somehow down to him is absurd... as for Perez, hes ahead in all are0as and has twice as many points.

Basically, if Ferrari want a constructors title he is exactly the kind of number 2 they need. I dont think he'll do as well against Alonso as he did Hamilton, mainly because Alonso is faster and also posses many similar qualities to JB. I think it'd be a good move for both. JB would win some more GP for sure with a Ferrari I feel. Better for him than McLaren? I dont know. Probably!That hurts to say as a McLaren fan, a JB fan and a Ferrari hater....

Kimi to McLaren? there as many things saying to me it wont happen as there are his rumored move to Ferrari. He hates the McLaren promo work as we know, the atmosphere is supposdly ideal at Lotus and McLaren is very different. Also, are McLaren a better option than Lotus? Surely not unless the money issues run deeper then we know. On the other hand, I think he is a great option for McLaren if they have a quick car. A properly quick driver. If they are headed into a few years of struggle and development I cannot see Kimi being a good bet for them.

all in all, I dont think its very likely!

Why is it only in the JB vs lh is points aggregated over 3 seasons?

i have never seen this done elsewhere.

Advertisement

#60 BillBald

BillBald

• 3,331 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 22:54

I doubt that Honda is going with McLaren without Button. Somehow I see Button as a Honda man, and if the drivers at Mclaren were suddenly two unproven drivers, why would that appeal to Honda? There have to be at least 1 GP winning driver in the team.

I don't follow your logic. It would possibly create a problem between McLaren and Honda if Jenson were no longer with them, but that in itself wouldn't necessarily stop Jenson from leaving.

If he's lost all confidence in the team's ability to turn things around (not saying he has), then he would have a good reason to want to move elsewhere. What would stop him? Loyalty? That's not worth a lot in F1, surely?

#61 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,235 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 22:57

Why is it only in the JB vs lh is points aggregated over 3 seasons?

i have never seen this done elsewhere.

Use the context, Luke.  It's relevant to the point that he would be a good #2 for the WCC effort.  That's all you should be taking away from that post.

#62 onewingedangel

onewingedangel

• 900 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 23:03

If McLaren haven't yet taken up the option on Button, perhaps they feel they could let Button's option expire and re-sign him on different terms than the automatic option, for example a longer term deal rather than just adding an extra year.  Button seems the ideal driver for McLaren PR, so I doubt he will find himself without an offer.

If Kimi is still unsigned it could even provide leverage for McLaren to get a better deal.

Ferrari may hold off their decision on Massa's seat until both Raikkonen and Button are settled. Button may want to play up the possibility of the Ferrari drive to put pressure on McLaren.

I'd predict both Button and Kimi staying put unless Kimi doesn't feel Lotus can keep the doors open and remain competitive.

Ferrari is the big question.

#63 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,230 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 23:28

I remember reading that Ferrari were interested in Jenson couple of years ago...? Jenson wouldn't comment. I think he's probably better staying at MAC - they will be good next year...  :p

I imagine Jenson, enjoying life as he does, would love to drive for Ferrari at some point to have fully experienced F1. If Mac are looking good next year (not that he or anyone will know until Melbourne, especially the team) then he will do well to stay. If not he probably won't get many more chances.

#64 Seano

Seano

• 253 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 23:37

Time waits for no man and JB is fast approaching the end of his F1 career. He stands little chance of winning much with McLaren this year, next year or indeed realistically in 2015 - even if he is lucky enough to be in the job then. If he went to Ferrari and if Alonso or some other #1 driver set the car up he might pick up another win or two. 1 WDC, 290 ish starts and maybe 15 GP wins would be be a record he could be proud of.

Seano

#65 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 8,048 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 23:49

I don't follow your logic. It would possibly create a problem between McLaren and Honda if Jenson were no longer with them, but that in itself wouldn't necessarily stop Jenson from leaving.

If he's lost all confidence in the team's ability to turn things around (not saying he has), then he would have a good reason to want to move elsewhere. What would stop him? Loyalty? That's not worth a lot in F1, surely?

I agree that Button would be stopped by Honda's hurt feelings, I just say that I think Button is 'a Honda man', meaning that the might of an engine manufacturer will be placed on him as top dog, rather than as a number 2 basically all other places. Nothing will stop Button from moving if he wants to, I can only see Red Bull as an option in the sense that the team would actually see it being a good strtong addition.

Button will not fit in as a dutifull number 2 at Ferrari.

#66 Seano

Seano

• 253 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 00:02

I doubt that JB features much in Honda's mindset. I suspect that they won't be even expecting a huge amount from 2015. By 2016-17 JB will be on Sky commentating, if not long before.

Seano

#67 MP422

MP422

• 1,718 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 00:38

I believe he isn't going to Ferrari, I really wonder if he is going to even be at Mclaren next season.

#68 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 00:40

Alonso, Massa, Vettel, Raikkonen, Ricardo Button and Perez will drive for Ferrari in 2014 :drunk:

#69 anbeck

anbeck

• 2,021 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:56

Alonso, Massa, Vettel, Raikkonen, Ricardo Button and Perez will drive for Ferrari in 2014 :drunk:

You obviously forgot Hülkenberg and Bianchi!

#70 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,527 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:16

I can see Button at Ferrari. And he would be one of the most stable characters there, by the look of things. I can see Ferrari seeing him as a non-controversial, safe pair of hands as it were. And I can also see Alonso assuming that he has the edge on Button. (Probably based upon the skewed circumstances surrounding Briatore's replacing of Button with Alonso at Renault). But I think Button would give Alonso a run for his money. And more importantly I think Button would 'enjoy' giving Alonso a run for his money. Button would thrive at Ferrari.

#71 Slackbladder

Slackbladder

• 1,160 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:57

Honda aren't coming until 2015. By that point in time Jenson will be 35, so very likely to be one of the older (if not the oldest) on the grid, and potentially thinking of retiring

I don't think the honda link has an issue one way or the other.

#72 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 8,048 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:33

As just posted in the Silly Season thread.

So now even Autosport is carrying a story confirming that Button is not signed for next year with McLaren, as already posted days ago here. I doubted the posts then, I should know better. I also note the positive vibes and comments Button throw the way of Ferrari.

Meaning that all I have posted yesterday be be wrong, and Button is indeed headed towards Maranello.

Silly season indeed and I am getting all dizzy.

I now know that I know nothing.

#73 Anonymous

Anonymous

• 2,948 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 13:14

Button out, Kimi in.

#74 bub

bub

• 1,984 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 13:46

I think he could go there if Alonso leaves. I don't think JB would want to partner Alonso at Ferrari.

#75 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 19,939 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 14:04

Tobias Grüner ams F1
@tgruener
 #F1 Kimi is not an option for @McLarenF1 Whitmarsh: "We like to continue with Jenson & Checo" AMuS: http://www.auto-moto...mi-7654349.html

#76 BillBald

BillBald

• 3,331 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 14:08

Button out, Kimi in.

Out of McLaren? Out of Ferrari?

#77 Juggles

Juggles

• 896 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 14:09

I think he could go there if Alonso leaves. I don't think JB would want to partner Alonso at Ferrari.

On the contrary, he's said in the past that he would relish Alonso as a teammate:

"But if Lewis wasn't in Formula One, for example, I personally feel it would be exciting having Fernando as a team-mate."

http://www.dailymail...-team-mate.html

I think Button really thrives on having a competitive teammate to benchmark himself against. Against Hamilton he could play that role of the plucky British underdog (I do think many people see him as somehow more "British" than Hamilton, but that's a different topic); there was no shame in losing and a great deal of glory in winning. It would be the same story against Alonso and I think it would reinvigorate him as the Hamilton challenge did. Where's the glory in beating Perez when you're scrabbling around for minor points positions?

#78 discover23

discover23

• 3,519 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 14:11

why not?. He went to Mclaren when Lewis was there..

#79 bub

bub

• 1,984 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 14:29

On the contrary, he's said in the past that he would relish Alonso as a teammate:

"But if Lewis wasn't in Formula One, for example, I personally feel it would be exciting having Fernando as a team-mate."

http://www.dailymail...-team-mate.html

I think Button really thrives on having a competitive teammate to benchmark himself against. Against Hamilton he could play that role of the plucky British underdog (I do think many people see him as somehow more "British" than Hamilton, but that's a different topic); there was no shame in losing and a great deal of glory in winning. It would be the same story against Alonso and I think it would reinvigorate him as the Hamilton challenge did. Where's the glory in beating Perez when you're scrabbling around for minor points positions?

why not?. He went to Mclaren when Lewis was there..

Sorry, I know he's said he'd like to partner Alonso before, I just don't think he would like to at Ferrari. Ferari are known as a bit of a one driver team, it's Alonso's team, cultural & language barriers etc. In a different team I'm sure Button would have no objections but at Ferrari I think Button would feel he is at an unfair disadvantage. 

I also agree about Button not being motivated to beat Perez for minor points. If McLaren don't improve I can see JB moving teams or retiring from F1.

Advertisement

#80 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 14:55

Sorry, I know he's said he'd like to partner Alonso before, I just don't think he would like to at Ferrari. Ferari are known as a bit of a one driver team, it's Alonso's team, cultural & language barriers etc. In a different team I'm sure Button would have no objections but at Ferrari I think Button would feel he is at an unfair disadvantage. 

I also agree about Button not being motivated to beat Perez for minor points. If McLaren don't improve I can see JB moving teams or retiring from F1. 

Well Jense has talked about driving at Ferrari, and it would round out his career very nicely.   It's true he doesn't speak Italian and Nando does, but JB has a much better record at team relationships, and as Zoetrope pointed out he's in the Santander fold already.  Plus I have an idea Mac are trying to cut his salary.

Though in any case after all those years at Honda, not to say the ones with Flav, I don't think he'll be hanging out the white flag just yet at McLaren.

#81 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,573 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 16:04

I'm surprised Button driving for McLaren isn't set in stone yet. They signed a "multi-year" contract at the end of 2011. Obviously "multi-year" at McLaren means two years.

#82 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 19,939 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 16:08

2 years plus an option on the 3rd is how it usually goes and as I understand it McLaren needs to take up that option.

#83 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 2,399 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 16:33

And stories that JB is going to Red Bull are somewhat wide of the mark. Spoke to him at length and he is not leaving McLaren

If anybody doesn't know:

Kevin Eason: Motor racing correspondent, The Times. Voted 2009 Internet Writer of the Year, nominated Sports Journalist of the Year 2012 British Journalism Awards

#84 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,235 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 16:39

Kevin Eason: Motor racing correspondent, The Times. Voted 2009 Internet Writer of the Year, nominated Sports Journalist of the Year 2012 British Journalism Awards

Pah, meaningless awards.  If he says something positive about my team/driver he's a quotable fact machine.  If he says something negative, he's no better than a troll.

#85 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 2,399 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 16:44

Pah, meaningless awards.  If he says something positive about my team/driver he's a quotable fact machine.  If he says something negative, he's no better than a troll.

Nevertheless, he thinks JB's not going anywhere. Just sayin. 

#86 Lemans

Lemans

• 1,321 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 16:54

I really doubt Button is leaving McLaren. In the latest Autosport article, he mentions a few times that he would prefer to stay.

Although, if he did go to Ferrari, I'd be willing to bet he would become a far more popular character then Alonso in the garage.

#87 kimster89

kimster89

• 617 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 16:57

Does anyone know who is Button`s manager and if he was seen in paddock this weekend?

#88 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 380 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 16:59

Of course if Luca doesn't get his 3 7 car team, Ferrari might withdraw from F1. :lol:

#89 Burtros

Burtros

• 937 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 17:36

If Ferrari are looking at him, and its an IF, then you have to assume its mainly because they have realised they need a competative driver in their 2nd car for the WCC. That means a good driver with proper support. Else why bother? Bang a Di Resta or a Hulkenberg in there and save the money. Massa has to be finished this time....

Also about it being Alonso's team. McLaren was Lewis' team and he went there without any hesitation. Obviously he needs to think about stunts like that Massa suffered in Hockenheim/Austin though.

I am still convinced he will not leave McLaren. Its interesting to think about it though!

Edited by Burtros, 23 August 2013 - 17:38.

#90 ForzaGTR

ForzaGTR

• 2,936 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 17:41

Something very odd going on behind the scenes at Mclaren, Button hesitant over signing a new contract, Lewis jumped ship. Is Button doubting Mclaren's ability to deliver a decent car in 2014? 

#91 ermo

ermo

• 117 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 17:48

Button will always demand equal treament, whether he's de facto #1 driver or not.  If he went to Ferrari, it would be on the condition of equal treatment. Period.

Would a certain F. Alonso stand for that? Only if said Mr. Alonso feels sure that he can comfortably control Button. So if Alonso were to veto such a move it would give some insight into their relative value as perceived by Fernando.

And yes, Button is awfully complimentary towards Ferrari. He's probably keeping his options option whilst trying to stay in good standing with McLaren.

And Button to Red Bull? For the car, yes. For S. Vettel? No. Vettel doesn't rate Button and Button hasn't seen eye to eye with Vettel since Vettel almost ran him out of road in one of the recent seasons.

My guess is Button will stay at McL. The question is on what salary. If he performs well at Spa, he'll have a better bargaining position for sure.

Edited by ermo, 23 August 2013 - 17:48.

#92 Force Ten

Force Ten

• 2,760 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 17:51

Something very odd going on behind the scenes at Mclaren, Button hesitant over signing a new contract, Lewis jumped ship. Is Button doubting Mclaren's ability to deliver a decent car in 2014? 

Yeah but is the hesitant one Button or McLaren? From Button's interview it appears that McLaren are the hesitant ones. Of course. At this part of the season we can safely assume that pretty much all the quotes are more or less full of s***.

#93 Lights

Lights

• 9,316 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 17:59

Would a certain F. Alonso stand for that? Only if said Mr. Alonso feels sure that he can comfortably control Button. So if Alonso were to veto such a move it would give some insight into their relative value as perceived by Fernando.

Fernando has never thought highly of Jenson, so I assume it wouldn't be a problem for him.

#94 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,977 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 18:05

Fernando has never thought highly of Jenson, so I assume it wouldn't be a problem for him.

Yeah? I thought I recalled him naming Jenson as a driver he really respected in terms of overtakes and so on. That said, Button's definitely a net exporter of compliments to Alonso, even if those compliments contain barbs at times.

#95 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 18:06

Nevertheless, he thinks JB's not going anywhere. Just sayin. 

Yeah fair enough; Jense knows he's talking to a journalist though.  So in case he does stay at Mac he wants to seem positive about that,  Meanwhile if he's a free agent he'd be crazy not to have his management talk to Ferrari,

#96 Force Ten

Force Ten

• 2,760 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 18:08

...just sitting here imaging the calmness and bliss of threads named Jenson vs Fernando...

#97 fed up

fed up

• 1,953 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 18:11

I'll be accused of trolling, but my opinion is Button has been found out. Mclaren have realised that he is a good driver but not a lead driver, so why pay him lead driver salary?

He is barely quicker than Checo so it doesn't make sense offering him another multi year contract whne the likes of Kimi or Hulk are out there.

The next 2/3 years could be dvelopment years for the team. Best to spend top $ on the car as this driver will not make the difference

As for Jenson to Ferrari :lol:

#98 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 38,269 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 18:21

Yeah but is the hesitant one Button or McLaren? From Button's interview it appears that McLaren are the hesitant ones. Of course. At this part of the season we can safely assume that pretty much all the quotes are more or less full of s***.

From what Jenson said it's clearly McLaren's choice on the option and they're keeping it open.  This may be for any number of reasons, Kimi and Button would be an awesome duo but I doubt McLaren would resign Button on the same $$ if they had to pay for Kimi as well.  Checo is the biggest question mark, I just don't know if anyone in McLaren is comfortable enough yet to commit to him long term.

#99 Lights

Lights

• 9,316 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 18:42

Yeah? I thought I recalled him naming Jenson as a driver he really respected in terms of overtakes and so on. That said, Button's definitely a net exporter of compliments to Alonso, even if those compliments contain barbs at times.

I'm quite sure they don't acknowledge each other on a similar level. Which perhaps they aren't. But whenever Fernando could mention Jenson in a list of top drivers he was reluctant to do so. I don't think he's that impressed by him or his title. Perhaps when Fernando is annoyed by youngsters driving into him, he'll make a reference to Jenson as how it should be done, but that's it.

Edited by Lights, 23 August 2013 - 18:44.

Advertisement

#100 Lights

Lights

• 9,316 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 18:44

...just sitting here imaging the calmness and bliss of threads named Jenson vs Fernando...

The Jenson vs Sergio thread is calm enough. But yeah I wouldn't mind them pairing up at all.