* * * * * 4 votes

INDYCAR silly season 2014

• Please log in to reply
1007 replies to this topic

#1 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:28

seeing how so many rumors regarding future of montoya, luca filippi and other drivers in the indycar series in 2014, i thought it would be a good idea to start a tread on this.

now it has emerged that Jaime alguersuari is targetting a seat in Indycar for 2014  :up:

i've always thought he had a good potential to be a good F1 driver, given the chance. IMO he had the upperhand on buemi in many races for toro rosso with a sub-midfield car. thanks to Helmut Marko, we would never know what he could've done in a good F1 seat.  :mad:

Alguersuari targeting Indycar move for 2014

the Spanish sports newspaper Marca reports that Alguersuari, still just 23  :eek:, is now eyeing a switch to America’s premier open-wheel scene.

The report said chassis supplier Dallara is keen to see Alguersuari in Indycar, and is involved in talks to arrange a test in a DW12 car “in a few months”.

Marca linked Alguersuari with a move to the Panther team for 2013, who have recently fielded fellow Spaniard Oriol Servia. (GMM)

p.s to the moderators, if similar threads exist, please close it or merge it :wave:  

Edited by eronrules, 23 August 2013 - 07:29.

Advertisement

#2 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,213 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:47

Alguersuari? That'd be interesting to see. If both Alguersuari and Montoya were to join the series, then that'd really help to promote the series I think.

#3 anbeck

anbeck

• 2,677 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:54

Alguersuari? That'd be interesting to see. If both Alguersuari and Montoya were to join the series, then that'd really help to promote the series I think.

How would you sell the IndyCar brand with Alguersuari???

#4 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,213 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:07

How would you sell the IndyCar brand with Alguersuari???

Well, with both Montoya and Alguersuari in the series that'd be five ex-F1 drivers along with a number of ex-GP2 drivers - that could generate some interest: I know quite a few people were intrigued by what Barrichello was up to, for example.

#5 BRG

BRG

• 25,941 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:30

This would be the same Jaime Alguersuari who confidently assured us that he would definitely be in F1 in 2013?

#6 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,113 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:03

Could be a really interesting line-up next year, with Filippi, Montoya, Alguersuari, Karthikeyan, Luhr, hopefully Munoz.  Maybe Massa!

Hopefully Allmendinger will make his full time return, as well.  Would be great to see a couple more "new" Americans, perhaps Daly, Karam, Clauson - instead of some of the old driftwood that's been clogging up the series for a while.  As much as I like Tagliani, Servia, Briscoe (and they are all undoubtedly accomplished drivers), they have been on the list for so long, adding very little to the excitement factor.  Neither has Saavedra, I wouldn't mind seeing him replaced by his compatriot.

Also wish Ed Carpenter would pull a Sarah Fisher, and instead put a couple young Americans into an expanded 2-car operation.  Would be nice if Hildebrand could get his sh*t together, and make a return.  He'd be a perfect match with Carpenter's team.

My real hope is that the number of entries overall will go up significantly.  Can we get 30 cars per race, please?  That would be awesome.

What other exciting prospects are out there that might have a shot at being in this in 2014?

Edited by maximilian, 23 August 2013 - 12:09.

#7 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,346 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 14:09

My real hope is that the number of entries overall will go up significantly.  Can we get 30 cars per race, please?  That would be awesome.

I think it's pretty amazing they have the number of cars on the grid that they do, when you look at the overall economic health in most quarters.

#8 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,839 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 17:27

Penske: Castronéves, Power 

Ganassi: Dixon, Franchitti, Kimball, Kanaan 

Andretti: Hunter-Reay, Andretti, Viso, Hinchcliffe, Montoya 

Schmidt Peterson: Pagenaud, Vautier 

KV: De Silvestro, Munoz 

Rahal Letterman: Rahal, Jakes 

Foyt: Sato 

Herta: Filippi, Karthikeyan 

Dale Coyne: Wilson

Dragon: Bourdais, Briscoe

Carpenter: Carpenter

Panther: Alguersuari 

Fisher: Newgarden

Greg Picket: Luhr 

This gave us 28 cars, but I fear that Andretti will find the money for Montoya. Also also didn't see a fourth Ganassi car for Kanaan. 

#9 WhiteSGPlayer

WhiteSGPlayer

• 273 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 17:35

Can't really see Luhr in a full time Indycar drive. I assume he'd be too busy with sportscars.

#10 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 17:57

Can't really see Luhr in a full time Indycar drive. I assume he'd be too busy with sportscars.

Didn't he say he intended to run full-time next year? Maybe he'd ditch sports cars for a bit. It would make sense, if you're 34 you might only have 6-7 years left of being competitive in IndyCar but you can race sports cars into your 50s without dropping off much.

#11 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 19:34

http://www.indycar.c...all-in-for-2014

“For me, it’s very clear. If I had the opportunity to do a full season in INDYCAR I’d say, ‘Oh yeah, I’m in.’ There’s no question about it,” said Luhr, who will get his initial IZOD IndyCar Series seat time during a manufacturer/team test Aug. 13 at Sonoma Raceway. “Even if you do a full season in Indy car racing you have opportunities to do the long races in sports car racing. If that was the case, it would be a dream come true even in my old age.”

Seems clear to me. Nothing to stop him doing sportscar drives on the side as many current Indycar drivers do.

#12 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,165 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 19:43

I'd love to see Alguersuari, Luhr and a full time 'dinger in Indy next year. That would be tits.

Edited by OvDrone, 23 August 2013 - 19:44.

#13 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 19:47

Wtf

HistoryFan's list is pure speculation and Luhr is only fractionally closer to a full-time Indycar ride than I am. Yeah if someone has an open seat, I'd love to do it.

#14 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 19:54

Luhr is only fractionally closer to a full-time Indycar ride than I am. Yeah if someone has an open seat, I'd love to do it.

No. :rolleyes:

http://www.racer.com...article/305015/

Edited by Prost1997T, 23 August 2013 - 19:54.

#15 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 20:08

Eveyone's always 'looking at' it, I could name a team driver and sponsor right now that haven't been rumoured *anywhere*

But for now Luhr's quote is "If I had the opportunity to do a full season in INDYCAR I’d say, ‘Oh yeah, I’m in.’ There’s no question about it,"

So I'm not rushing to pencil him in for the 2014 grid.

#16 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,745 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 20:50

I think a lot of former F1 drivers eye a switch to the American scene until the point where they realise they're expected to do things like 'have won Grand Prix races' or 'bring money'.

Andretti would be mad not to find room for Munoz.

#17 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,152 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 21:32

Wtf

HistoryFan's list is pure speculation and Luhr is only fractionally closer to a full-time Indycar ride than I am. Yeah if someone has an open seat, I'd love to do it.

Careful now, or you'll be in his next list as well.

#18 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,839 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:35

Wtf

Of cours my list is speculation, but the thread is called silly season and that's my opinion how the field could look like in 2014. 

What's your opinion?

#19 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:42

That there isn't enough information to form one. They aren't qualified opinions at this point, just guesses.

Advertisement

#20 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:47

Nothing wrong with speculation that is based off at least a legitimate rumor. But there are 10 threads on this forum with a hundred posts discussing F1 driver changes for next year that were made because the OP thought "Hey, there's no thread about my favorite driver moving to a better team".

#21 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:23

Exactly. So some judgement is required.

Is Montoya a possibility? He wouldn't struggle to get a ride but someone needs to come up with the bucks so he may not end up with anything.

Karthikeyan? Yeah, he's wanted to do Indycar for a while but never enough to actually do it. 

Briscoe at Dragon? When Saavedra is funding that ride? That's a no. 

etc

#22 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,346 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:21

Current IndyCar drivers would welcome Montoya return. From the Indy Star:

http://www.indystar....n-Pablo-Montoya

#23 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 16:06

Montoya back would be killer but I'm having a hard time thinking of a seat that could be open where he would get paid to be there.

#24 red stick

red stick

• 14,106 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 18:07

Re Panther, no news is . . . news?

http://www.racer.com...article/308769/

Edited by red stick, 25 August 2013 - 18:09.

#25 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 21:50

So Sato is good for next year?

#26 racinggeek

racinggeek

• 733 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:51

Eveyone's always 'looking at' it, I could name a team driver and sponsor right now that haven't been rumoured *anywhere*

But for now Luhr's quote is "If I had the opportunity to do a full season in INDYCAR I’d say, ‘Oh yeah, I’m in.’ There’s no question about it,"

So I'm not rushing to pencil him in for the 2014 grid.

Well, the thing with Luhr is that he seems pretty well hooked up with a team that's thrown a lot of money at sports car racing over the past few years and, last I heard, doesn't seem all that interested in continuing to do so with whatever the USCR thing is supposed to be. You're right, it's all "if...", but I'd think he's gotta be closer than Alguesari or Narain K.

#27 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:48

Montoya back would be killer but I'm having a hard time thinking of a seat that could be open where he would get paid to be there.

And that is a winning car.

I'm pretty sure he's serious that he will only race in a car/team capable of winning.  That pretty much precludes being a pay driver unless you're Paul Menard.

#28 expert

expert

• 1,159 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:56

And that is a winning car.

I'm pretty sure he's serious that he will only race in a car/team capable of winning.  That pretty much precludes being a pay driver unless you're Paul Menard.

Wait, but there are 10 race winners this year already.  I think Juan Pablo would back himself to hall a mid level team up for a couple of wins at least, if not a championship challenge.

I don't think Ganassi is ruled out yet either.  Mike Hull talking him up on Autosport.  http://www.autosport...t.php/id/109519

#29 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,319 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:36

Penske: Castronéves, Power 

Ganassi: Dixon, Franchitti, Kimball, Hinchcliffe (he's going to regret it, but he is moving from AA)

Andretti: Hunter-Reay, Andretti, Viso

Schmidt Peterson: Pagenaud, Vautier 

KV: De Silvestro (They could fold as IMO, Kalkhoven will back out if the money guys determine running one car won't make him a profit.)

Rahal Letterman: Rahal, Jakes 

Foyt: Sato  (Why not Sato?)

Herta: (Whoever can bring money as Herta has proven this year to not have the resources to provide a competitive ride with the Barracuda Network's money)

Dale Coyne: Wilson

Dragon: Not a flipping clue who'd even want to race here. It is obivously the car as Bourdais' Champ Car results were not the best reflection of who he is as a driver, but he is still a top 10 driver in terms of talent. And languishing in outside the top 10 in points (his 2 podiums in Toronto bumped him up in points). 

Carpenter: Carpenter

Panther: (Same as BHA) or at the very least, they are going to bring back Hildebrand. Too popular, too American that fits the sponsors more than Servia and Briscoe (who haven't fared any better than J.R. did in the car). 

Fisher: Newgarden (Josef and his loyalty. Andretti should swoop and sign him. Or Penske get an American in a competitive seat)

Not worth counting seats. It's about counting quality seats. That number has been going down even this year. Dale Coyne will run it's second car, but unless it's going to be a full time driver that can do better than be an extremely slow also ran, not too worried about who will fill it. Conway's race at Detroit was more a fluke than anything. Panther and BHA seem to have semi-solid funding to get a good driver, but getting the likes of a Briscoe, Servia, Munoz to fork over some funds just won't happen. KV is done. If Kalkhoven can't get off his high horse and use some of his business connections he supposedly had that got him the cash to buy Champ Car and develop what always looks to be an emerging superpower in open wheel racing, the team is out of business and done. Just pay Kanaan. Seriously you fat idiot. I know he might demand a few pennies more than the average IndyCar driver, but you have a guy who is still just as competitive as any driver on a major team. 

#30 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,839 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 16:18

Hinchliffe to Ganassi? Where do you have this from?

#31 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 16:21

Its been a rumor for a while. 

#32 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,745 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 20:06

I'd be surprised if Andretti reduced to 2.5 drivers. Surely the question is whether they take one Colombian or two?

#33 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,319 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 21:57

I'd be surprised if Andretti reduced to 2.5 drivers. Surely the question is whether they take one Colombian or two?

More like 3.5 drivers. Juan Pablo might just eat Munoz. Hell, JP started using "Pablo". when he went to F1. Maybe he ate a guy named Pablo? 

The way Mike Hull talked about him in that Autosport article it looks like they might be trying to get him a seat with them. Which would throw off my Hinch to play the role of Graham Rahal at Cheap Ganassi Racing. 

And now the Latin American backlash. 

Edited by HaydenFan, 28 August 2013 - 21:59.

#34 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,300 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 22:05

More like 3.5 drivers. Juan Pablo might just eat Munoz. Hell, JP started using "Pablo". when he went to F1. Maybe he ate a guy named Pablo? 

And now the Latin American backlash. 

No I think he just left Pablo with Roldan when he moved to the US   :p

BSyZTfIIAAATx2E.jpg

Quite an interesting game of "Where are they now?" to be played there too.

Edited by PayasYouRace, 28 August 2013 - 22:05.

#35 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 22:13

Some of those are "where were they ever"  :p

#36 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,300 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 22:16

Yeah and what about poor TBA? Always in line for a good drive and then pipped at the last minute. He must be getting tired of that.  :lol:

#37 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,745 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 22:47

Cyrille Sauvage is my favourite French race driver name ever

#38 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,972 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 22:55

Some of those are "where were they ever"  :p

Well, Thomas Schie is now an "expert" in the Norwegian F1 broadcasts. Or "Schieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhh" as he is called...

He's been in STCC and is a 3 times Norwegian Champion in WRC-class rallying since his F3000 days. May be more known among RX fans as the son of former RX driver Terje Schie.

#39 Dmitriy_Guller

Dmitriy_Guller

• 6,120 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 23:08

Who could've thought in Japan in 1999 that Montoya could be driving for Michael Andretti?  :stoned:

Advertisement

#40 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,319 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 00:36

Who could've thought in Japan in 1999 that Montoya could be driving for Michael Andretti?  :stoned:

It's Michael Andretti. That guy will end any grudge for the right price (and I guess Montoya is as cheap as they get right now). 

#41 paulogman

paulogman

• 2,642 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:02

lol, god I hope montoya doesn't go to indycar

I don't think I could stand the "hilarious" humor on display... :rolleyes:

#42 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:24

No I think he just left Pablo with Roldan when he moved to the US   :p

Quite an interesting game of "Where are they now?" to be played there too.

well. atleast we all know where a certain 'christian horner' ended up   ;)

#43 IwashavingaKimi

IwashavingaKimi

• 9 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:29

I don't know where this KV folding talk you're dragging up is coming from. KK has enough money to run his team out of pocket until the end of time if he wanted. His problem is he's a cheap bastard that has been trying to run a 2-4 car team off of strictly drivers bringing money which is why the team is stuck never living up to their potential (barring TK's 500).

Tony Kanaan has said that he has no offers from any teams in a recent interview.

Since it's a silly season thread and judging by the F1 rumor mongering you just throw every rumor into everything so, Luiz Razia is looking to move to either WEC or IndyCar if he can't find an F1 budget in the next couple of months.

Confirmed

Speculation

Penske 2 cars confirmed, 3rd possible

Power, Castroneves, Allmendinger

Ganassi 3 cars confirmed, 4th possible

Franchitti, Dixon, Kimball, Hinchcliffe/Montoya/Kanaan

Andretti 2 cars confirmed, 3rd and 4th probable, 5th maybe

Andretti, Hunter-Reay, Viso, Munoz, Hinchcliffe, Montoya

KV 1 car confirmed, 2 cars probable (both cars drivers aren't sorted yet but SDS is basically confirmed if sponsor re ups) 

Kanaan, De Silvestro

Schmidt 2 cars confirmed.

Pageanud, Vautier

Herta/Barracuda 1 car confirmed, 2 cars possible

Filippi, Hildebrand

Foyt 1 car confirmed, Team wants Sato back so I'm confirming barring hang-up

Sato

Panther 1 car confirmed, 2 cars possible, Barnes says he already has his driver picked just not announced until end of season (Jaime would most likely be a second car not the National Guard car)

Servia, Briscoe, Munoz, Alguersuari

Carpenter 1 car confirmed

Ed Carpenter

Dragon 1 car confirmed, 2 cars probable

Bourdais, Savaadra

SFHR 1 car confirmed, 2nd car possible with team up with another team (RW/Pickett):

Newgarden

Coyne 1 car confirmed, 2 cars probable

Wilson, 2nd Car Carousel

RLL 2 cars confirmed:

Rahal, Jakes

Pickett 1 car rumored

Luhr

Team Viso Venezuela (HVM/Viso) 1 car, basically the team running the 4th AA car moving on their own.

Viso

Rumored Drivers with no/little team connections

Luiz Razia

James Davison

Jack Hawksworth

Jaime Alguersuari

Alex Tagliani

Mike Conway

Pippa Mann

Ana Beatriz

Narain Karthikeyan (rumor carried over from last offseason)

Mikhail Aleshin (rumor carried over from last offseason)

P.S. It's silly season have some fun, it's one of the most exciting things about the racing season and keeps smiles on our faces through the cold winter.

Edited by IwashavingaKimi, 29 August 2013 - 08:41.

#44 lustigson

lustigson

• 5,911 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:47

What about engines? Are most teams sticking with their 2013 suppliers?

And what happened to the aerokits? Will they be introduced for the 2014 Indy 500 as Wikipedia states (but without citation)? I'd be curious to know whether any of the teams will opt for anything different than Dallara.

#45 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:16

What about engines? Are most teams sticking with their 2013 suppliers?

And what happened to the aerokits? Will they be introduced for the 2014 Indy 500 as Wikipedia states (but without citation)? I'd be curious to know whether any of the teams will opt for anything different than Dallara.

Schmidt renewed with Honda: http://www.autoweek....dycar/130829895

Chevy and Honda are making aerokits: http://www.racer.com...article/307749/

#46 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,839 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:40

Allmendinger will drive a full season in NASCAR next season, so he will not drive a third car at Penske. 

#47 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,319 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:11

Allmendinger will drive a full season in NASCAR next season, so he will not drive a third car at Penske. 

I think most knew that was coming. Too many decent NASCAR rides available, and not any seats in IndyCar open that didn't require huge amounts of money to buy into. That was very dependent on finding money as I feel Roger got a bit unhappy having his car beaten into the wall nearly every round. 

Off topic, but A.J. picked the wrong one car team in NASCAR. Sure, Labonte has been done really since he won his title 13 years ago, and Allmendinger might be the best driver to drive for the team, but what can we really see from this team? I don't expect more than a few top 10's, as they are running the off-brand Toyota engine, and don't seem to have many connections from an engineering standpoint to the major teams like say, Furniture Row Racing or Phoenix/Turner Scott Motorsport has. 

#48 WhiteSGPlayer

WhiteSGPlayer

• 273 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 14:00

Has Briscoe got an ALMS/USCR ride for next year? I'd love to see him back in Indycar full-time

#49 IwashavingaKimi

IwashavingaKimi

• 9 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 23:29

Has Briscoe got an ALMS/USCR ride for next year? I'd love to see him back in Indycar full-time

No, Briscoe is a free agent. He's been heavily rumored for the Panther seat.

#50 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:45

Jack Hawksworth to test with Rahal: http://www.racer.com...article/309910/