* * * * * 4 votes

INDYCAR silly season 2014

• Please log in to reply
1007 replies to this topic

#51 Dilla

Dilla

• 2,716 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 14:37

Off topic, but A.J. picked the wrong one car team in NASCAR. Sure, Labonte has been done really since he won his title 13 years ago, and Allmendinger might be the best driver to drive for the team, but what can we really see from this team? I don't expect more than a few top 10's, as they are running the off-brand Toyota engine, and don't seem to have many connections from an engineering standpoint to the major teams like say, Furniture Row Racing or Phoenix/Turner Scott Motorsport has.

JTG are in discussions with other manufacturers looking for more technical support, particularly Childress and possibly Penske as well.

Edited by Dilla, 05 September 2013 - 14:39.

Advertisement

#52 IwashavingaKimi

IwashavingaKimi

• 9 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 23:11

Update: Allmendinger removed, Bourdais no longer confirmed at Dragon, team has an option on him but Bourdais is free to look else ware as well. Jakes not confirmed at RLL, Hawksworth added to RLL speculation due to test with team.

Confirmed

Speculation

Penske 2 cars confirmed, 3rd possible

Power, Castroneves

Ganassi 3 cars confirmed, 4th possible

Franchitti, Dixon, Kimball, Hinchcliffe/Montoya/Kanaan

Andretti 2 cars confirmed, 3rd and 4th probable, 5th maybe

Andretti, Hunter-Reay, Viso, Munoz, Hinchcliffe, Montoya

KV 1 car confirmed, 2 cars probable (both cars drivers aren't sorted yet but SDS is basically confirmed if sponsor re ups) 

Kanaan, De Silvestro

Schmidt 2 cars confirmed.

Pageanud, Vautier

Herta/Barracuda 1 car confirmed, 2 cars possible

Filippi, Hildebrand

Foyt 1 car confirmed, Team wants Sato back so I'm confirming barring hang-up

Sato

Panther 1 car confirmed, 2 cars possible, Barnes says he already has his driver picked just not announced until end of season (Jaime would most likely be a second car not the National Guard car)

Servia, Briscoe, Munoz, Alguersuari

Carpenter 1 car confirmed

Ed Carpenter

Dragon 1 car confirmed, 2 cars probable

Bourdais (Team Option),  Savaadra

SFHR 1 car confirmed, 2nd car possible with team up with another team (RW/Pickett):

Newgarden

Coyne 1 car confirmed, 2 cars probable

Wilson, 2nd Car Carousel

RLL 2 cars confirmed:

Rahal, Jakes, Hawksworth

Pickett 1 car rumored

Luhr

Team Viso Venezuela (HVM/Viso) 1 car, basically the team running the 4th AA car moving on their own.

Viso

Rumored Drivers with no/little team connections

Luiz Razia

James Davison

Jack Hawksworth

Jaime Alguersuari

Alex Tagliani

Mike Conway

Pippa Mann

Ana Beatriz

Narain Karthikeyan (rumor carried over from last offseason)

Mikhail Aleshin (rumor carried over from last offseason)

P.S. It's silly season have some fun, it's one of the most exciting things about the racing season and keeps smiles on our faces through the cold winter.

#53 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,263 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 00:28

Sao Paulo is toast

As is wall to wall Brazilian TV coverage on BANDTV

Jp

#54 loki

loki

• 2,024 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:17

Looks like JPM to Furniture Row to replace Ku Busch.  Was at the shop in Denver on Tues and Joe Garone says JPM on the short list of drivers.   Strong rumors that JTG is going to be a satellite RCR team.  I know many here would like to see JPM in an Indycar seat  though right now I don't know that he could get in an Indycar seat ...

#55 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,224 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:37

so, has anyteam expressed interest in Kimi raikkonen and Felipe massa yet??? it's silly season ya know.  :wave:

maybe kimi , felipe and montoya in the same team, then we'll know who's numero uno.

Edited by eronrules, 06 September 2013 - 05:38.

#56 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 1,945 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:44

Sao Paulo is toast

As is wall to wall Brazilian TV coverage on BANDTV

Jp

Looks like speculation to me. Notice the important people in the article could not be reached for comment?

#57 greenman

greenman

• 564 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:02

Chip Ganassi replaces Beaux Barfield, right?

#58 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,104 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:58

so, has anyteam expressed interest in Kimi raikkonen and Felipe massa yet??? it's silly season ya know.  :wave:

maybe kimi , felipe and montoya in the same team, then we'll know who's numero uno.

Thing with a Massa or an Alguersuari would be price. I doubt these guys realize that only 2 teams right now could even afford to pay a driver without major sponsorship. Those two, Penske and Ganassi are not looking for drivers. These guys would have to take a much smaller salary than they might have been used to. And they are half the asset to IndyCar that Rubens was, and Rubens pretty much had to come up with money to get his seat, and had to bring even more to keep it (which he decided against for 2013). With Brazil off the schedule, would Massa, could Massa find funding? Doubt it. Alguersuari isn't seemingly looking to race (outside some kart runs) very hard. The rumor's suggest he might come to the U.S., but has he made any trips? IndyCar likes to recycle drives (how many teams has Servia, Rahal, Kanaan run?) before bringing in new talent. 

Problem is driver salaries. Alonso's salary could fund at least 2 fulltime IndyCar teams, that are probably the top funded cars on the grid. IndyCar 20 years ago could pay a Nigel Mansell. Today, they cannot pay a Tony Kanaan or lure Montoya. 

Silly season I know, but it's more about the driver's interest in IndyCar than a team's. I bet it's a bit like the Canadian Football League. Many teams send an offer to top NFL free agents looking for their services, but no one replies due to the difference in salaries. 

Depending on how much a team gets for the Indy Lights champ, I think that guy is getting a seat. 11 points from 1st to 4th with 2 rounds left and being a street circuit and oval, it's anyone's trophy to win. Hawksworth is going to test with Rahal, and Munoz has run a few ICS races already, so they are at the top of the list when the off-season starts, but the 2 other rookies, Chaves and Karam look like they could pull of a Vautier and win the title in their rookie season. 

Edited by HaydenFan, 06 September 2013 - 12:05.

#59 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope
  • Writer of 2013's Best Opening Post

• 7,043 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 15:08

There's also a matter of all those weird rugby rules confusing the Yanks. But it is mainly the money.

Advertisement

#60 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 1,945 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 15:15

Can you prove that Andretti doesn't pay any of his drivers, HaydenFan? Sounds like 100% speculation to me. He's expressed interest in Montoya already, and Juan Pablo has already stated he isn't after a ton of money. Even teams like SFHR and Foyt have their own sponsorship deals (they don't pay huge money, granted). Newgarden isn't ride buying. Meira and Conway weren't, ABC Supply has been the title sponsor at Foyt Enterprises for years.

I doubt Mansell was getting paid near his F1 salary back then - let's not put on nostalgia goggles, he ended up there because he wasn't prepared to be teammates to Prost or Senna. Then pissed everyone off in Indycar as well, had a crappy second season then the McLaren farce in 1995.

As for Massa etc, I don't think they would add anything to ICS. Barrichello is currently driving for charity in Brazil. Kevin Kalkhoven could easily pay Kanaan what he is asking, it's a matter of being a stingy idiot and letting pay drivers tear up his cars instead.

Recycling drivers does happen, but we've also seen several outsiders have a drive for at least one race and Pickett liked what he saw apparently. Hasn't made his mind up but it wouldn't surprise me if SFHR becomes a two-car operation with his support next year. Do you really think Hawksworth has a massive $$$ sum? One sponsor that has minimal market share. Rahal already has Jakes and Acorn Stairlifts so if it were just about money JH wouldn't be getting any consideration. The Lights champion gets a $1 million scholarship, which is helpful yet only a fraction of the running cost for a full season - Schmidt is benefitting from Honda investment and uses a rotating line of sponsors on Vautier's car as well as JKMC.

Edited by Prost1997T, 06 September 2013 - 15:18.

#61 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,251 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 15:38

I can actually see Mansell getting F1 salary. They weren't *that* high in the early 90s(unless you were Ayrton) and early 90s Newman-Haas printed their own money.

#62 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 3,282 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 15:42

I'm actually pretty sure that Mansell received a very competitive salary that was of F1 standard when he moved to IndyCar.

#63 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,104 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 17:24

There's also a matter of all those weird rugby rules confusing the Yanks. But it is mainly the money.

The rules are not too big of an issue. It's still the same game with a few extra bits thrown in. To most who struggle to make the roster in the NFL, the CFL is more than a viable, and a very good option. Receivers seem to be the only people from the U.S. who truly struggle. And after a year or two, they are adapt. 

Can you prove that Andretti doesn't pay any of his drivers, HaydenFan? Sounds like 100% speculation to me. He's expressed interest in Montoya already, and Juan Pablo has already stated he isn't after a ton of money. Even teams like SFHR and Foyt have their own sponsorship deals (they don't pay huge money, granted). Newgarden isn't ride buying. Meira and Conway weren't, ABC Supply has been the title sponsor at Foyt Enterprises for years.

As for Massa etc, I don't think they would add anything to ICS. Barrichello is currently driving for charity in Brazil. Kevin Kalkhoven could easily pay Kanaan what he is asking, it's a matter of being a stingy idiot and letting pay drivers tear up his cars instead.

Recycling drivers does happen, but we've also seen several outsiders have a drive for at least one race and Pickett liked what he saw apparently. Hasn't made his mind up but it wouldn't surprise me if SFHR becomes a two-car operation with his support next year. Do you really think Hawksworth has a massive $$$ sum? One sponsor that has minimal market share. Rahal already has Jakes and Acorn Stairlifts so if it were just about money JH wouldn't be getting any consideration. The Lights champion gets a $1 million scholarship, which is helpful yet only a fraction of the running cost for a full season - Schmidt is benefitting from Honda investment and uses a rotating line of sponsors on Vautier's car as well as JKMC.

Yes, many team are hiring drivers, but outside of really Penske, Ganassi, and Andretti (still view Mikey Andretti as a bit of a penny pincher), no team could probably afford a great salary. I mean low to mid 7 figure salary. Sato probably makes good money, but how much of it is because of his Honda connection? The other drivers hired are making good money, but not where a team could go and hire an ex-F1 driver like a Massa or an Alguersuari. 

Yeah, Kalkhoven could pay Kanaan, but like you say, he doesn't. He views making a profit over scoring wins. And I don't understand how Vasser lets that happen. I was referring to how many teams would rather take money than someone who might be a bigger risk than reward, than paying the defending Indy 500 winner and a guy who's been consistently a top 10 guy for over a decade. 

Yes, we've also seen a few European Junior formula cast-outs come in the past 3-4 years and make the occasional run, but nothing seems to materialize. Filippi, Pantano, Dracone, Baugette, have generally brought some respectable results, but they disappear just as quickly as they came. 

With the way Pickett and his Muscle Milk team has been shopping around sports cars (they had talks with Bentley in running the GT program in USCR), it seems as a possibility that he takes his money and team to IndyCar in some way (like you said, they've worked with SFHR already). Would make it easier for a one car team to move to two, especially one that while decently funded, has struggled to grow with their young driver in SFHR. I know Jack doesn't have much money. He has talked about how the Mazda Road to Indy sponsorship package is a big reason he came from the U.K. to the U.S. to race. I think with the big mistakes he has made in Indy Lights, he could use a season, but like Vautier, he's almost have to win the title and take what little money that bring to a team in IndyCar to continue racing at a competitive level (we've seen what a lack of funds has done to Peter Dempsey's career). I don't seem Jack running with Rahal, but that seat time is exposure to the series, which is more than most of his fellow Indy Lights competitors can say. 

I think this silly season will be much less eventful than we think. If Picket joins with SFHR, who'd that driver be? Is Viso staying as an arm of Andretti or branching off to his own thing? How many people will run in the second Coyne car? And will Hinch be confirmed at Andretti at Fontana this year like RHR last year? 

#64 sblick

sblick

• 479 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 17:35

When Paul Tracy was making 4 million a year (that is from Paul's mouth) I think Mansell had a very competitive salary.  I really don't think he took a pay cut.

For some reason, I don't think there are any F1 drivers that are going to lose their seat that would make a heavy impact here.  I was really happy to have Barrichello here but I don't feel the same way about Massa.

Allegedly Kanaan was at Joe Gibbs Racing this week discussing contract to run Nationwide

#65 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 2,589 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:28

Looks like Montoya stays at Nascar and Kanaan also will join Nascar. Would be very bad for IndyCar. 

#66 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,104 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:56

Looks like Montoya stays at Nascar and Kanaan also will join Nascar. Would be very bad for IndyCar. 

Honestly, it's not as bad to the series as many think. I don't think Montoya was serious from his end and likewise from the ICS team owner side. And while Kanaan is the defending 500 winner, I think fans are more sick of him than still supporting him. I know I have said Kevin Kalkhoven should grow a pair and pay the guy, but he has been a bit non-existent outside Indy. I'd say he has taken the Dale Earnhardt Jr. of IndyCar role well, as he is still has a big fan following, but just doesn't have the results to show for the popularity. 

#67 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 2,589 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:33

Barrichello out without money

Kanaan perhaps out (also money issues?)

Montoya don't return (also money issues?)

Allmendinger not a full return

That are the big names and such names are good for IndyCar. 

#68 Xpat

Xpat

• 3,978 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:06

I'd love to see some ex-F1 drivers in IndyCar but let's be honest, to most US fans ex-F1 drivers are not the "big" names they want to see in the series. A big NASCAR name would make way more impact and news headlines than if Vettel or Alonso came over.

#69 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,157 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 13:08

The latest on Michael Andretti's attempt to secure Montoya for 2014. From Racer:

http://www.racer.com...article/310820/

#70 Pikachu Racing

Pikachu Racing

• 5,470 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 15:00

Allmendenger isn't that big of a name. He only made a name for violating NASCAR drug policy

#71 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,043 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 17:10

And for the perfect nickname of Wallmendinger.

#72 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,019 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 17:22

Allmendenger isn't that big of a name. He only made a name for violating NASCAR drug policy

Actually wasn't he awesome in a small team, snatched some great results due to driving ability, then signed for a bigger team or something?  Then bounced to NASCAR.

I remember stuff about him being a real phenom in AOW, am I recalling correctly?

#73 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,157 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 18:46

Actually wasn't he awesome in a small team, snatched some great results due to driving ability, then signed for a bigger team or something?  Then bounced to NASCAR.

I remember stuff about him being a real phenom in AOW, am I recalling correctly?

You remember correctly, RuSport to Forsythe to Red Bull NASCAR. His move to NASCAR was not warmly accepted by many followers of IndyCar.

#74 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,251 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 20:33

He was 'okay' at RuSport, but then got the Forsythe drive and went on a tear and momentarily made me wonder if Bourdais was any good. Then went to NASCAR.

#75 anbeck

anbeck

• 2,023 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 13:09

motorsport-total.com write that BMW is trying to lure Montoya into DTM. He might be a better "fit" for these type of cars (pun, though hardly original, intended), but I think it would be a shame if he'd not be in IndyCar next season.

It's good to see some new talents in IndyCar, especially those who came through the feeder series over there (Munoz, or Hinch), but I always liked to see veterans there. Although we have Sato, Wilson and Bourdais, none of the really set F1 on fire. Montoya would be better, since I don't see any promising Ex-F1 drivers going to North America (I don't see Massa in Indycar...). I like my veterans going to Indy either as world champions or race winners (Andretti, Fittipaldi, Mansell) or as drivers who really find a new home in North American OW (Zanardi).

#76 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 3,282 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 16:52

Bourdais didn't really get a fair chance in F1 but he did set IndyCar on fire prior to his Toro Rosso move. I just wish that Bourdais would get a seat from a better team in IndyCar, he would be winning races again and challenge for the title.

#77 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 2,455 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 18:03

I've always maintained that if you put Pagenaud and Bourdais in either of the top three teams they'd be the two fighting for titles year after year.

Edited by Muppetmad, 11 September 2013 - 18:03.

#78 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,157 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 15:32

As also seen in another Indy Car related thread, Montoya confirmed at Penske for third car in 2014:

http://www.usnews.co...for-team-penske

#79 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 2,589 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 16:08

Has anyone the list of ALL Penske IndyCar drivers with the years and races they compete?

Advertisement

#80 Xpat

Xpat

• 3,978 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 16:16

Has anyone the list of ALL Penske IndyCar drivers with the years and races they compete?

United States Mark Donohue (1968–1975)
United Kingdom David Hobbs (1971)
United States Gary Bettenhausen (1972–1974)
United States Gordon Johncock (1972)
United States Mike Hiss (1972 and 1974)
United States Tom Sneva (1975–1978)
United States Bobby Allison (1975)
United States Mario Andretti (1976–1980)
United States Rick Mears (1978–1992)
United States Bobby Unser (1979–1981)
United States Bill Alsup (1981)
United States Kevin Cogan (1982)
United States Al Unser (1983–1989)
United States Johnny Rutherford (1984) (injury replacement)
New Zealand Mike Thackwell (1984) (injury replacement)
United States Danny Sullivan (1985–1990)
Australia Geoff Brabham (1989) (injury replacement)
Brazil Emerson Fittipaldi (1990–1996)
Canada Paul Tracy (1991–1994, 1996–1997)
United States Al Unser, Jr. (1994–1999)
Denmark Jan Magnussen (1996) (injury replacement)
Brazil André Ribeiro (1998)
United States Alex Barron (1999, 2003; 2003 as injury replacement)
Uruguay Gonzalo Rodriguez (1999) (killed at Laguna Seca)
Brazil Tarso Marques (1999) (injury replacement)
Brazil Gil de Ferran (2000–2003)
Brazil Hélio Castroneves (2000–present)
Italy Max Papis (2002) (injury replacement)
United States Sam Hornish, Jr. (2004–2007)
Australia Ryan Briscoe (2008–2012)
Australia Will Power (2009–present) (legal replacement, 1 race; two other races in #12 in 2009, full–time in 2010)
United States AJ Allmendinger (2013)

This is from Wikipedia. Trying to cut and paste with a child (whose mother is oblivious) climbing on the seats near me.  :eek:  :(  :well:

#81 WhiteSGPlayer

WhiteSGPlayer

• 40 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 16:20

Penske was the LAST place I expected JPM to go. Ganassi maybe, but Penske?

#82 discover23

discover23

• 3,903 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 16:31

That came out of left field..The new says that he could also do some NASCAR races as part of the deal.. I wonder if that would be Nationwide or SprintCup...

#83 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,793 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 18:45

That came out of left field..The new says that he could also do some NASCAR races as part of the deal.. I wonder if that would be Nationwide or SprintCup...

If he still does some Sprint Cup next year... I think we already have an answer for who will be mad enough to do the 1100 Miles of Memorial Day Weekend.  :smoking:

#84 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,043 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 18:52

I would expect Penske to run him on some of these turnleft and right weekends. Probably not on ovals.

But indeed, Nationwide or Sprint Cup..

Edited by Andrew Hope, 16 September 2013 - 18:53.

#85 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,157 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 17:09

Ganassi moves to Chevrolet for 2014:

https://twitter.com/curtcavin

#86 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,224 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 17:11

but honda might bite back with 2014 upgrades when they switch to twin turbo  :smoking:

#87 Yhamm

Yhamm

• 639 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 17:53

Ganassi moves to Chevrolet for 2014:

https://twitter.com/curtcavin

And Kanaan is confirmed in the team too

#88 ApexMouse

ApexMouse

• 909 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 17:59

Kanann!?!?    WTF? :stoned:

#89 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 1,945 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 18:26

Kanann!?!?    WTF? :stoned:

It's been rumoured for a few weeks now.

#90 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,043 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 21:03

Marshall Pruett seems to think Hinchcliffe is going to KV as GoDaddy is leaving Andretti next year..

#91 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 2,589 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:11

if Hinchcliffe not going to KV, who could be De Silvestro's team-mate? Or will KV only enter one car?

#92 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 1,945 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:15

Bourdais is also a candidate for going to KV.

#93 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 2,589 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 13:39

Sources?

#94 expert

expert

• 1,030 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 14:04

It was mentioned during the commentary of the 1st Houston race. 

#95 Yhamm

Yhamm

• 639 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 21:37

is KV a better team than Dragon?

#96 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,157 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 19:58

Fisher-Hartman looking to expand to two cars for 2014, with engine supplier undecided. From Racer:

http://www.racer.com...article/315974/

#97 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,043 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 20:02

is KV a better team than Dragon?

Probably, but just by a little bit.

#98 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 1,945 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 20:45

Kanaan finished 5th and 9th in points with KV in 2011/2012. Their reputation was no doubt affected by the ride-buying approach, but I would definitely rate them above Dragon. Heck, were it not for their reliability problems, I would rate Sarah Fisher's team above Dragon as well.

#99 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 3,282 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 23:53

Karun Chandhok is looking around for a ride in IndyCar next year

Advertisement

#100 racinggeek

racinggeek

• 218 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 02:20

Well, this is interesting: http://www.racer.com...article/316046/. What happens to Panther now?