* * * * * 4 votes

INDYCAR silly season 2014

• Please log in to reply
1007 replies to this topic

#101 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 2,599 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:40

Ganassi: Four car team with Dixon, Franchitti, Kimball and Kanaan. 

Penske: Three cars with Castroneves, Power and Montoya. 

Andretti: Andretti and Hunter-Reay will stay, also Hinchcliffe and Viso could stay. Hinchcliffe also in rumoured to go to KV, Viso could also open a new team with Venezuelan money and the support of HVM. Munoz could also climb up from Indy Lights, so it could be a five-car-team, also three or four are more likely. 

Schmidt Peterson Hamilton: Pagenaud und Vautier will stay. 

KV: I think De Silvestro is safe, second car perhaps with Hinchcliffe or Bourdais 

Dale Coyne: One car for sure (likely Wilson will stay), perhaps a second one with different drivers like Conway. 

Foyt: likely one car for Sato, perhaps another one for Daly?

Dragon: Perhaps just one car for Saavedra or Bourdais, perhaps both are staying. Not ruled out that Briscoe will drive for them. 

Rahal Letterman Lanigan: Rahal will stay, why not Jakes will too?

Fisher Hartman: The team will expand to two cars, perhaps with Lucas Luhr alongside Newgarden. Luhr with the support of Greg Picket. 

Panther: Servia or Briscoe could drive. 

Herta: Wants to expand to two cars. Likely with Filippi and Hildebrand. 

Carpenter: Carpenter will stay with one car for himself. 

So I guess 

Ganassi: Dixon, Franchitti, Kimball, Kanaan

Penske: Castroneves, Power, Montoya

Andretti: Andretti, Hunter-Reay, Viso and Munoz

Schmidt Hamilton Peterson: Pagenaud, Vautier

KV: De Silvestro, Hinchcliffe

Dale Coyne: Wilson, Conway

Foyt: Sato, Daly

Dragon: Bourdais, Saavedra

Rahal Letterman Lanigan: Rahal, Jakes

Fisher Hartman: Newgarden, Luhr

Panther: Briscoe

Herta: Filippi, Hildebrand 

Carpenter: Carpenter 

Advertisement

#102 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,311 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:41

Surprised it took that long.

*coughs*

*jerks head in direction of budget figure*

#103 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 1,954 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:48

Surprised it took that long.

*coughs*

*jerks head in direction of budget figure*

I think Indycar does pretty well sponsorship-wise, when you consider the relative viewership to say F1. A [crappy] midfield team getting ~$13 million from one sponsor? I saw Intel and Microsoft start appearing with Pagenaud recently as well.

#104 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 2,461 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:33

I know I sound like a broken record, but I don't see why the top teams aren't tripping over each other trying to get Bourdais for next year or secure Pagenaud for when his contract runs out. When you've got these two and Wilson and even Newgarden in lesser equipment, it makes me wonder how Ganassi could have chosen Kanaan for anything other than sponsorship reasons.

#105 Risil

Risil

• 13,926 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:43

I'd hire Kanaan over Pagenaud or Bourdais if my target was to cover Dixon and Franchitti for the Indy 500.

#106 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 1,954 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:46

I know I sound like a broken record, but I don't see why the top teams aren't tripping over each other trying to get Bourdais for next year or secure Pagenaud for when his contract runs out. When you've got these two and Wilson and even Newgarden in lesser equipment, it makes me wonder how Ganassi could have chosen Kanaan for anything other than sponsorship reasons.

Kanaan and Franchitti will likely retire in the next few years, which will open up some seats.

#107 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,311 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 13:14

I think Indycar does pretty well sponsorship-wise, when you consider the relative viewership to say F1. A [crappy] midfield team getting ~$13 million from one sponsor? I saw Intel and Microsoft start appearing with Pagenaud recently as well.

I think it's more an indication of how clueless the marketing department of the National Guard is. 

#108 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 1,954 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 13:51

I think it's more an indication of how clueless the marketing department of the National Guard is. 

That they stuck with Panther? Sure, but there are significant off-track sponsor events as well. If you're talking about the series, then I guess DHL, Target etc are also "clueless". :p

#109 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,311 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 14:10

Target is the only one that would be paying close to 13mil a car and their program works. The National Guard's doesnt, at that price point. They could do everything they do now, results-wise, for at least half the budget. Possibly far less. 

#110 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 1,954 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 14:38

They could do everything they do now, results-wise, for at least half the budget. Possibly far less. 

Yeah, and I've already said the program doesn't just cover the track. Servia was doing a lot of PR and event work in-between races. Do you think the Guard sponsor Earnhardt Jr because he wins a ton of races? Or is it because he's a known face and people follow him, on and off track?

Edited by Prost1997T, 12 October 2013 - 14:39.

#111 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,311 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 14:44

The Cup program is an even bigger waste of money. The Guard isn't selling soda so don't need the most visible driver in the series.

It's great that Servia(and Briscoe, and Hildebrand, and Wheldon) did all the off-track commitments. It's smart that the Indycar program uses it as a way to work with businesses. But you don't need to drop 13million to do that. 

So they're vastly overpaying. Because they don't need to be the main sponsor of a car to accomplish their goals. They just need to be in the paddock. 

#112 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,939 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 16:33

Foyt: likely one car for Sato, perhaps another one for Daly?

Will Daly stay in Europe if he takes the GP3 title though, or is that fairly definite? Looking against the odds now, of course...

#113 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 1,954 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 16:46

Seems that Viso still intends to start his own team: http://www.indycar.c...g-for-Venezuela

#114 prommer

prommer

• 158 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 22:27

Bourdais to KV for 2014, per Jenna Fryer!

http://racing.ap.org...-year-deal-kvsh

#115 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,311 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 23:46

That could easily be a net neutral after losing Kanaan, potentially even a gain.

#116 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 2,461 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:47

Great news. KV isn't the best car, but it's better than the one he's in right now - let's hope Bourdais can start fighting for podiums frequently.

#117 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 2,599 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 13:42

Dragon perhaps out of IndyCar Racing next season...

#118 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 1,954 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 14:12

Dragon perhaps out of IndyCar Racing next season...

Unless they've retained the IT sponsors and\or lined up a ride buyer to replace Bourdais.

#119 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,311 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 14:36

I'd be surprised if they couldn't create some Saavedra/Penske Jr/Truecar frankenstein sponsorship.

Advertisement

#120 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope
  • Writer of 2013's Best Opening Post

• 7,049 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 14:38

I wouldn't be too sad to see them go, since every time I hear "Dragon Racing" I picture a car with a dragon paint scheme only to see a car that looks like it would have been batting about .250 catching computer viruses in 1998.

#121 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 1,954 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 14:52

I wouldn't be too sad to see them go, since every time I hear "Dragon Racing" I picture a car with a dragon paint scheme only to see a car that looks like it would have been batting about .250 catching computer viruses in 1998.

They've been around since the Indy one-off in 2007, and already closed once (at one point Dragon had Tony Kanaan signed for 2011). Raphael Matos had a few strong runs with them in 2009-10, prior to the Jay Penske revival version.

#122 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,283 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 18:42

Dragon can Piss Off..

Jp

#123 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,470 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 18:47

Will Daly stay in Europe if he takes the GP3 title though, or is that fairly definite? Looking against the odds now, of course...

He'll stay where he can get a drive.

#124 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,311 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 19:12

He said something about if he finishes in the top 3 he gets his budget for next year. So he must have private backers willing to foot the bill or something.

#125 V3TT3L

V3TT3L

• 1,681 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 19:38

Sao Power Indy is gone officially  :cry:

The mayor won't give $30M Reais [$15M Dollars] to the event and the TV Bandeirantes broadcaster doesn't have a main sponsor for the event.

#126 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 2,461 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 19:42

That's a shame, it provided some pretty good racing. On top of that, it was always nice to have a race outside North America.

#127 sblick

sblick

• 479 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 21:29

He said something about if he finishes in the top 3 he gets his budget for next year. So he must have private backers willing to foot the bill or something.

This is the story for Conor. If he is in the top 3 he gets funded. I have heard rumors that even top 6 may keep him funded. I do not know if this is a jump to GP2 from GP3 or just a continuation of the GP3 funding. The original rumor was if he was top 3 he was getting funded for GP2.

#128 Physicist

Physicist

• 44 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 22:39

Any news on where Hinchcliffe might end up?

#129 prommer

prommer

• 158 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 23:45

An announcement due tomorrow that he will re-sign with Andretti with some deal involving Honda Canada sponsorship.  And Andretti switches to Honda.

#130 Rob G

Rob G

• 10,898 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:59

The 2014 schedule has been released.

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/110700

March 30         St. Petersburg (street course)
April 13         Long Beach (street course)
April 26         Barber Motorsports Park (road course)
May 10           Indianapolis road course
May 25           Indianapolis 500 (oval)
May 31   Detroit (street course)

June 1   Detroit (street course)
June 7           Texas Motor Speedway (oval)
June 28       Houston (street course)

June 29       Houston (street course)
July 6           Pocono (oval)
July 12          Iowa (oval)
July 19       Toronto (street course)

July 20       Toronto (street course)
August 3         Mid-Ohio (road course)
August 17        Milwaukee (oval)
August 24        Sonoma (road course)
August 30        Fontana (oval)

I hate the fact that the season is only five months long and ends in August. That's as dumb as having a one-month gap near the end of the season. And if the Houston races aren't at night, it's going to be hotter than blazes.

#131 Yhamm

Yhamm

• 639 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:39

such a short season, it will be a bit weird to have nothing after August

#132 Dmitriy_Guller

Dmitriy_Guller

• 4,045 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:11

Dragon can Piss Off..

Jp

Don't encourage Jay Penske when it comes to pissing.

#133 V3TT3L

V3TT3L

• 1,681 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:22

I hate the fact that the season is only five months long and ends in August. That's as dumb as having a one-month gap near the end of the season. And if the Houston races aren't at night, it's going to be hotter than blazes.

I believe they want to save on salaries with half-year jobs  :down:

=NBA =NFL 

#134 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,465 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:52

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/110700

March 30         St. Petersburg (street course)
April 13         Long Beach (street course)
April 26         Barber Motorsports Park (road course)
May 10           Indianapolis road course
May 25           Indianapolis 500 (oval)
May 31   Detroit (street course)

June 1   Detroit (street course)
June 7           Texas Motor Speedway (oval)
June 28       Houston (street course)

June 29       Houston (street course)
July 6           Pocono (oval)
July 12          Iowa (oval)
July 19       Toronto (street course)

July 20       Toronto (street course)
August 3         Mid-Ohio (road course)
August 17        Milwaukee (oval)
August 24        Sonoma (road course)
August 30        Fontana (oval)

I can certainly get on board with how they're consolidating what they have. I hope that continues for a few more years as I'm sure that stability will help build the fanbase back up. But...

It's a shame to lose Brazil and Baltimore, as both events were pretty good. Brazil might have been better still at Interlagos, but at least it was a good idea for an international round. I don't think Indycar should be a World Championship on the scale of F1, but at least a few races outside North America would be nice. As for Baltimore, that had to do with the city so not much can be done about that. Aren't there any permanent circuits nearby that could be used?

The main problem of course is that it's too short. If Indycar is going to grow it shouldn't be afraid to go up against other sports. Sure, don't schedule your races at the exact same time as other major events, but I don't see any logic of handicapping yourself by not going up against American football or whatever they're worried about, let alone NASCAR.

#135 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,311 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:37

Wow, we're going to be busy with threads post-500.

#136 king_crud

king_crud

• 1,448 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 15:24

will Road America ever make a comeback?

#137 prommer

prommer

• 158 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 15:43

If you don't have faith in Mark Miles' vision then that's one thing; but if you do then you have to realize that the offseason is not going to be seven months like everybody seems to assume it is.  The international series is expected to kick in as early as December 2014.  That's a 3 month offseason.  Mark Miles was on the NBCSN preview show just yesterday saying Brazil could return as early as the end of 2014 (but more likely 2015).  Furthermore, he has been vocal about wanting to start the regular season as early as February.

Patience, grasshoppers.  I really like this schedule, despite the loss of Brazil and Baltimore -- the WORST thing about this year by far was that horrid one month gap before Houston.

ps. there will be an Indycar test some time in 2014 at Road America, aiming for a full Indycar/Sports car weekend in 2015.

#138 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,465 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 16:15

I forgot about the winter series idea. Still, I'll wait until there's a firm announcement before getting too excited about it.

#139 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 1,954 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 16:41

We have a 5 month off-season this year, but we had long gaps around Sonoma and Baltimore, so I'm not understanding the sudden outrage at this schedule (aside from the dates for Houston\Fontana).

Advertisement

#140 Pikachu Racing

Pikachu Racing

• 5,471 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 01:18

On various boards most complaints are there aren't more oval races and wishes Michigan, Phoenix, Chicago, and Kentucky could be on the schedule. Blame the selling of race tracks starting back almost 15 years to ISC. ISC pretty much give little or no promotion of races that is NOT NASCAR. Once Kentucky got bought few years ago you know Indycar going lose that date. It was good for those who want get rich in NASCAR but suck for race fans all over.

#141 racinggeek

racinggeek

• 218 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 01:36

Less than good news: S-Pags/Schmidt losing their primary sponsor -- http://www.racer.com...article/317003/.

#142 packapoo

packapoo

• 731 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 03:53

An announcement due tomorrow that he will re-sign with Andretti with some deal involving Honda Canada sponsorship.  And Andretti switches to Honda.

And aren't plenty wetting themselves now over the Honda possibility!
Honda and Andretti will mean an entry to F1; he'll run a privateer McLaren because of the Andretti/McLaren connections, blather, blather, blather.
When I read it I wet myself too, from laughing.

#143 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 2,461 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 06:53

Less than good news: S-Pags/Schmidt losing their primary sponsor -- http://www.racer.com...article/317003/.

As Hamilton says though, it's certainly not a reflection on the team - they've done a hell of a job. If there's a car which will definitely find sponsorship next year, it's Pagenaud's.

#144 Risil

Risil

• 13,926 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 09:14

I think Chip will pay for his impetuousness.

Bournadais has signed for KV Racing, which I assume means Hinch has lined up another year for Andretti Autosport.

#145 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,283 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 13:23

Don't encourage Jay Penske when it comes to pissing.

Well, that's what I was saying however well cloaked in irony it appeared.

Jp

#146 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 1,954 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 13:35

As Hamilton says though, it's certainly not a reflection on the team - they've done a hell of a job. If there's a car which will definitely find sponsorship next year, it's Pagenaud's.

HP have had some weird policies over the years. I recall one CEO tanking their profits (except for print cartridges, lol) and sacking thousands of workers for no apparent reason. I'm amazed they still make money.

Edited by Prost1997T, 19 October 2013 - 13:35.

#147 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 13:55

Unnecessary Danica mention incoming:

GoDaddy leaving IndyCar, will stick with Danica for "long time": 

Andretti Autosport will announce a new primary sponsor Saturday to replace GoDaddy next season on the car currently driven by James Hinchcliffe. As GoDaddy prepares for a global launch next year its spending allocation had to be re-evaluated. 

GoDaddy currently sponsors #10-Danica Patrick in NASCAR and Hinchcliffe in IndyCar, and [CEO Blake Irving] Irving decided IndyCar didn't make fiscal sense. 

"We looked at our customer acquisition costs and it's an audience size issue," Irving said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press. 

"The customer acquisition costs between the web, between regular TV and between NASCAR and IndyCar, IndyCar is the most expensive acquisition vehicle we have. It was pretty expensive on a per customer cost."

Despite the decision to leave IndyCar, Irving, who took over as CEO in January, said NASCAR remains a valuable market for GoDaddy. He also said the company is thrilled with its relationship with Patrick. 

"We frankly love Danica and think that Danica represents and personifies what GoDaddy represents small businesses and people who have ideas," Irving said. "Here's a woman who had an idea and went through the challenges to become a driver in a male dominated sport. She represents the idea that the totally impossible is possible and we love that kind of person. She's going to be with us for an awful, awful long time."(Associated Press)(10-19-2013)

Edited by gm914, 19 October 2013 - 14:09.

#148 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 1,954 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 14:33

Again, I have to ask...why is this a surprise? Nascar has the viewer base and the TV contracts to attract the big money sponsors. Obviously the driver in question is a polarising figure (perhaps even more than Kyle Busch) so I can understand some negative remarks, but getting upset over what is essentially a business decision is well, pointless.

Edited by Prost1997T, 19 October 2013 - 14:33.

#149 Rob G

Rob G

• 10,898 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 14:49

I just realized that the USCR Road America race and the IndyCar Milwaukee race are on consecutive weekends. Throw four or five days in Chicago in between and that would make for a great vacation.

#150 Risil

Risil

• 13,926 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 14:50

You're right. I wish I had money.