Sywell Classic

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BRG

BRG

• 25,941 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:38

http://www.sywellclassic.com/

Does anyone know any background about this event, or is anyone planning to go?  It looks good on paper, although I am a bit worried that they have apparently exhumed the Swinging Blue Jeans!

Has it run before and if so, did anyone here attend in any capacity?  What is the historic racing on the runway about?  Presumably not real racing?

Advertisement

#2 DogEarred

DogEarred

• 21,432 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 14:16

I'm free that weekend, it's quite near me & small enough that I might pop along. Never heard of it before. I have a flyer which states:

Racing Runway

The Sprint Strip (runway)

High Flyers - Chipmunks, Moths Extras & Tomahawks

Aerobatics - Spitfires, Trig Aerobatics Team Pitts Specials, Breitling Wingwalkers.

Classic Clubs - Motoring Classic & vintage + aeroplanes

Live Arena - 'Entertainment' & 'musical interludes.'

Vintage Village - Classic & vintage traders - cars, bikes & planes.

Happy Camping - an oxymoron....

£17 Adults/£14 in advance - Kids £7/£5 - under 5s are free so I'll try to blag my way in as one of those....

#3 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,704 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 22:24

Looks like it could be fun.  A Spitfire and an Offy for starters and the Brooke Special (which I didn't know still exists)

#4 karlcars

karlcars

• 660 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:25

Not likely to be interested as Sywell was the site of Paul Morgan's fatal crash in his Sea Fury.   Lost a great friend and colleague.

#5 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 14:13

Recent press release:

High octane performance at Sywell

A feast of performance cars bring a high-octane edge to the inaugural Sywell Classic, with a selection of cars dating from the 1930s through to the fire-breathing 1980s Group C sports cars and 1990s Formula One bolides.

Among the 50 cars taking part is Michael Schumacher’s first Grand Prix car, a 1980s Silk Cut Jaguar and the iconic Camel-liveried Lotus 101 . The 60s are showcased by the 1960 Lotus Elite and a 1965 Ford Mustang, while a D-Type Jaguar, a 1958 MG Sprint special and a 1958 Buckler DD2 represent the 1950s.

For pre-war British single-seater performance, see the 1936 Brooke ERA Special, the Lagonda-based 1935 Eccles Rapier and Stuart Harper’s Kurtis-Offenhauser roadster to name a few.

Not sure about the Kurtis-Offy being a pre-war British single-seater, though.

#6 Derwent Motorsport

Derwent Motorsport

• 860 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:29

It looks like a commercial event with a lot of promotion. They will be forking out for the main cars and bikes to attend, hence the high entry fee.

#7 garyfrogeye

garyfrogeye

• 627 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 21:00

I'm likely to be there in the Frogeye