Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:02

Well, it had to happen, didn't it?

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/109387

Advertisement

#2 DrF

DrF

• 2,581 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:11

Not sure what the thread title and the link have to do with each other...

#3 Imperial

Imperial

• 4,820 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:18

The extremely obvious suggestion is clearly that Mclaren are keeping their options open by not signing Button's contract yet.  Kimi is the most high profile driver available next year.

Fairly obvious link.

#4 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:30

Also this tweet

Woken up and you dont have a scenario from the rumor mill to think about? Kimi to McL - Button to Ferrari http://bit.ly/13HJ4mX 

Button to Ferrari discussed here

#5 DrF

DrF

• 2,581 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:32

Link does not mention Kimi and Button states in the link that he wants to stay at Mclaren.

#6 Cool Beans

Cool Beans

• 1,553 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:37

Do we really need a separate thread for every possible future team for drivers? Wouldn't a single 'Where will x drive in 2014' thread do?

#7 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 14:05

Tobias Grüner ams F1
@tgruener
 #F1 Kimi is not an option for @McLarenF1 Whitmarsh: "We like to continue with Jenson & Checo" AMuS: http://www.auto-moto...mi-7654349.html

#8 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 5,313 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 14:08

Tobias Grüner ams F1
@tgruener
 #F1 Kimi is not an option for @McLarenF1 Whitmarsh: "We like to continue with Jenson & Checo" AMuS: http://www.auto-moto...mi-7654349.html

As expected. 

#9 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,151 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 18:44

Do we really need a separate thread for every possible future team for drivers? Wouldn't a single 'Where will x drive in 2014' thread do?

Shhh, I've nearly got a full house in my Autosport Forum bingo card!

#10 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,332 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 19:35

Tobias Grüner ams F1
@tgruener

Whitmarsh should rephrase that to: We like to continue to please our British fans and we need the money from Telmex. How foolish of McLaren to not take Kimi now that he's available. Dump Button then, cause I understand they can't afford to mis Pérez' money.

Edited by DutchQuicksilver, 23 August 2013 - 19:36.

#11 Sonic2k

Sonic2k

• 261 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 19:39

He also says that he thinks Kimi will not drive for McLaren. Sounds like he's not quite sure about that.  :drunk:

#12 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 5,313 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:29

Martin Whitmarsh open for Raikkonen return.

Q: Have you ever considered getting Kimi Raikkonen back? He seems to be the best Kimi there has ever been right now…
MW: Yes, we have. Kimi has always been great and I am a big fan of him. There is a lot of speculation out there at the moment, so let’s see what happens.

Q: Are you one of the teams that he could consider? Have there been talks with him?
MW: I probably shouldn’t be, but I’m completely open - last year we had talks with him, but for various reasons it didn’t happen. This year we’ve had no talks - yet.

Q: So it could be that somebody approaches somebody?
MW: Yes, could be. Obviously Kimi is determined to go somewhere else and I sense that he will not succeed in that goal, so let’s see how he gets on there.

Q: Given that 2014 will likely be another difficult year for McLaren before you switch to Honda engines in 2015, wouldn’t having two world champions on board get you more positive media mileage?
MW: Yes, it might do. We’ll see. We are not talking to Kimi at the moment, so let’s see what happens in the drivers’ market.

#13 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:33

He said that they are happy with Jenson and Checo.

Jenson won't leave, Checo is important factor as well money-wise.

So it is just a bullshit. Also if they would replace Checo now, it would look irrational

#14 hello86

hello86

• 4,223 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:34

So it is just a bullshit. Also if they would replace Checo now, it would look irrational

:up:

#15 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 5,313 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:34

He's probably referring to 2015.

So it could well be that Kimi decides to stay put one more year at Lotus and transfer to McLaren in 2015.

#16 EthanM

EthanM

• 4,819 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:42

in 2015 Kimi will be 36 and Jenson 35. You guys think McLaren will start up a retirement home side business?

Realistically 14 and maybe 15 is all both of them have, beyond that I don't think teams will be queuing to bid for a 37 year old Kimi's services for 16 and beyond 

Vettel's contract runs out in 2015. That will be McLaren's target, not Kimi.

#17 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:45

in 2015 Kimi will be 36 and Jenson 35. You guys think McLaren will start up a retirement home side business?

Realistically 14 and maybe 15 is all both of them have, beyond that I don't think teams will be queuing to bid for a 37 year old Kimi's services for 16 and beyond 

This. 

People really think that big teams will hire oldies that are over 35 in 2015.. What would be the point? They would need to spend a year to accommadate etc. And then what? 1-2 season more, without peak form (well I highly doubt that 36-38 is a peak of the form).

#18 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,677 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:47

Whitmarsh specifically says "This year we’ve had no talks - yet"
Since he says 'this year', the possible talks that could happen in the future would be regarding 2014, not 2015

#19 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 6,803 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:53

What is telling is that no one is saying that Button and Perez WILL BE in the team next year. Whitmarsh is not coming out and making it concrete. Kimi to MAC is a real possibility for 2014...? Can't rule it out.

Advertisement

#20 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 2,416 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:54

please put Magnussen in the car, I can't stand PER anymore.

#21 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,677 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:58

What is telling is that no one is saying that Button and Perez WILL BE in the team next year. Whitmarsh is not coming out and making it concrete. Kimi to MAC is a real possibility for 2014...? Can't rule it out.

Yep, if you look at the last question of those quoted by Cyanide, the interviewer assumes it's Pérez who would leave, not Button

#22 hello86

hello86

• 4,223 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:00

:up:  This year was Kimi´s last chance to get a seat in a top team 

#23 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,885 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:00

Obviously Kimi is determined to go somewhere else and I sense that he will not succeed in that goal, so let’s see how he gets on there.

Probably the most relevant info we had so far.

#24 Totall73

Totall73

• 147 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:02

To me it seems like right now there are even unusually loud voices suggesting that Kimi will drive for Lotus next year. Suddenly everyone seems to be very confident about it. I´m starting to believe that when at the same time there is speculated to be a BIG Bernie run operation to save Lotus, certain media and F1 people have been persuaded not to publish what they actually know of Kimi´s contract situation (to Ferrari) or speculate it "in a positive way" (Kimi will probably continue with Lotus...).

#25 kimister

kimister

• 2,979 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:09

Ok ,then this can be that way.If it will certain that he will not go to Ferrari and Red Bull and still he did not sign for Lotus, McLaren thinks to approach to him for next year.We know team did not use Button's next year option yet. They also need Perez for...hmmm money. Then for 2015 , Vettel will be probably free, so they can take him and in 2015 we ca see Vettel/Raikkonen line up + new Honda engine. How is that story  :p .....unlikely  :lol:

#26 EthanM

EthanM

• 4,819 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:11

McLaren have reportedly (SkySports News) offered Button a 2+1 year contract (ie 14+15 with an option for 16)

#27 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:18

To me it seems like right now there are even unusually loud voices suggesting that Kimi will drive for Lotus next year. Suddenly everyone seems to be very confident about it. I´m starting to believe that when at the same time there is speculated to be a BIG Bernie run operation to save Lotus, certain media and F1 people have been persuaded not to publish what they actually know of Kimi´s contract situation (to Ferrari) or speculate it "in a positive way" (Kimi will probably continue with Lotus...).

If you will tell me what is connection between these two I will grateful.

If they would want to have Kimi in Lotus, and that would be the only reason to sponsor the team, they could as good as put the enclosure that would say - cash if there will be Raikkonen in the team. If the team wouldn't want to sign the deal cause of it, then they would know the outcome.

#28 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:19

Some people are arguing teams won't be interested in Kimi, when he is 36 years old.

Well, I have to say, it depends on competition. If the grid is full of drivers, who struggle to get within 50% of SV-FA-LH-KR level driver points, then he will still be courted.

Recall early 1990s. Mansell, Patrese, Prost were all still courted by top teams, though they were all in their late 30s. Reason was that even those old guys, even if they had just a few years left in sport, were viewed as better drivers to score points and championships than the young guns.

#29 EthanM

EthanM

• 4,819 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:24

Some people are arguing teams won't be interested in Kimi, when he is 36 years old.

Well, I have to say, it depends on competition. If the grid is full of drivers, who struggle to get within 50% of SV-FA-LH-KR level driver points, then he will still be courted.

Recall early 1990s. Mansell, Patrese, Prost were all still courted by top teams, though they were all in their late 30s. Reason was that even those old guys, even if they had just a few years left in sport, were viewed as better drivers to score points and championships than the young guns.

yeah but back then you didn't have 19 year old rookies and 23 year old world champions. And before that Fangio was getting drives in his 50s. Times change. With Webber gone I think Kimi will be the oldest driver in the grid

#30 nosecone

nosecone

• 1,938 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:31

Well pretty many rumours and speculation. But if Perez has more weekends like the Spa-weekend then his contract isn't as safe as it seems to be.

Magnussen delivers well in the World Series by Renault with 2 x wins ; 3 x 2nd ; and 3 times 3rd. And he's in the young driver programm of McLaren.

But the most likely scenario is that BUT and PER will stay.

Edited by nosecone, 27 August 2013 - 10:35.

#31 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:34

It is likely that Mclaren has good car in 2014. 

So it is likely that Kimi might be attempted to fix one year contract with Mclaren.

#32 peroa

peroa

• 10,781 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:43

I have a feeling that the current top drivers will stay on for quite some time since there are very few in the junior category with a WOW factor.

#33 northell

northell

• 137 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:46

Q: Have you ever considered getting Kimi Raikkonen back? He seems to be the best Kimi there has ever been right now…
MW: Yes, we have. Kimi has always been great and I am a big fan of him. There is a lot of speculation out there at the moment, so let’s see what happens.

Q: Are you one of the teams that he could consider? Have there been talks with him?
MW: I probably shouldn’t be, but I’m completely open - last year we had talks with him, but for various reasons it didn’t happen. This year we’ve had no talks - yet.

MW: Yes, could be. Obviously Kimi is determined to go somewhere else and I sense that he will not succeed in that goal, so let’s see how he gets on there.

Q: Given that 2014 will likely be another difficult year for McLaren before you switch to Honda engines in 2015, wouldn’t having two world champions on board get you more positive media mileage?
MW: Yes, it might do. We’ll see. We are not talking to Kimi at the moment, so let’s see what happens in the drivers’ market.

Where was that interview?

#34 string158

string158

• 1,055 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:50

Replacing Perez with Kimi would give McLaren a great line up going fowards.

Whats Perez's situation in terms of contract and sponsership?

Or maybe Kimi could replace Button if he moves to Ferrari...

#35 onewingedangel

onewingedangel

• 1,597 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:53

That inteview is with the official site - formula1.com

#36 Sonic2k

Sonic2k

• 261 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:55

http://www.formula1....13/8/14918.html

#37 Totall73

Totall73

• 147 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:00

Even though ti is well known that Kimi and Martin get a long well, the only purpose of his comments in formula1.com today is to reply to Jenson Button.

#38 Raikkonen94

Raikkonen94

• 1,008 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:05

I believe Raikkonen is still pretty popular within the McLaren team and Whitmarsh has never hidden his admiration towards Kimi. That said, I (unfortunately) never see it happen as I think they'll stick with Button & Perez.

#39 tkulla

tkulla

• 3,824 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:09

So from that interview it sounds like he'll talk to Kimi if his other options fall through and the possibility of getting him for (relatively) low money is realistic. No doubt he'd be an improvement of Perez and the battle with Button would be fascinating.

Advertisement

#40 northell

northell

• 137 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:13

Even though ti is well known that Kimi and Martin get a long well, the only purpose of his comments in formula1.com today is to reply to Jenson Button.

This was my first thought as well. Although i would like see kimi drive for McLaren again.

#41 OSX

OSX

• 4,877 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:37

http://www.formula1....13/8/14918.html

:lol:

Martin's been trying to get Kimi back since 2009. Nice to see that he's still open to the idea though this open invitation aimed at Kimi's camp seems more like a publicity trick than anything else at this point of the silly season. Martin, and certain Mr Ron Dennis, are obviously bummed out that Red Bull and Ferrari have been getting most of the attention so far.

#42 intelligentsia

intelligentsia

• 2,407 posts

I dont understand why it would be irrational to replace Perez except if he is really bringing in a lot of cash. He has only scored 38% of Button's points, he has sightly more points then Ricciardo and Vergne. Perhaps he could improve in the second half of the season, but he really hasn't shown much up to date. Mclaren tend to go for drivers who can reasonably perform on the same level. 

But ultimately anyone going to Mclaren right now now would take a big risk. Mclaren are suddenly employing pay drivers, and they are changing to Honda who would be a year behind on development. 

#43 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 2,416 posts

btw. McLaren should take Buemi (who is in his prime and has loads of RB.knowlege) into consideration.

#44 EthanM

EthanM

• 4,819 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:19

btw. McLaren should take Buemi (who is in his prime and has loads of RB.knowlege) into consideration.

These days most teams would prefer Perez and his tie-in with Carlos Slim over "RB knowledge"

Keep in mind McLaren are losing vodafone

#45 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,150 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:58

Kimi to McLaren would be nice but Kimi himself ruled McLaren out last weekend. They didn't find common ground 2009 and neither last year so they most likely wouldn't now either. Heikki Kulta from Turun Sanomat is now also turning more to the idea Kimi to Ferrari.

#46 pRy

pRy

• 26,313 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 13:02

I find Ferrari harder to believe than McLaren simply due to the way the Kimi/Ferrari partnership ended. Didn't they have to pay him a full years salary when he was sat with his feet up? I can't see LDM forgetting that in a hurry. Also the McLaren team is different to the 2009 team. No more Ron Dennis for a start which may be seen as a bonus for Kimi. However the PR engagements will be a turn off for him.

The door at Redbull is still open until they close it.

Edited by pRy, 27 August 2013 - 13:03.

#47 expert

expert

• 1,159 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 13:16

Everyone is ignoring Button in this years market.

Starting to think Button might be looking for greener pastures, either legitimately or as leverage for a better deal from Mclaren.  Martin probably floating the, "careful sunshine, we have other options" angle.

#48 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,746 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 13:17

My god, everyone is trying to get a free-ride on the publicity that is associated with perhaps having Räikkönen on-board next year!

Whitmarsh, I think I sense, is not prepared to make a change for next year, even if he is a great admirer of Räikkönen.

#49 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 5,313 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 13:33

I'm starting to get frustrated with all these contractual disagreements.

What is wrong with Kimi's management? In 2009 they couldn't agree on a McLaren move, last year neither, this year they can't agree on a Red Bull move and only God knows what's happening with Ferrari and Lotus.

I would really like to know what Robertson is asking for during these negotiations.

#50 Antonov

Antonov

• 603 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 13:34

probably a fat amount of commission.