- - - - -

Barcelona 2014 - Advice on Grandstands

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 barrykm

barrykm

• 808 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 16:30

A friend of mine is standing a few of us to tickets to the 2014 Spanish GP at Barcelona  :up:   , but none of us have been to the circuit before and need some advice on choice of grandstand.

The options are:-

1. The last stand at the end of the main straight, on the outside, just before Turn 1, or
  2. The stand at Turn 2, on the outside, or
  3. Stands on the outside of Turn 12 (the long semi circular right hander leading on the chicane area (Turns 13, 14, 15))

I'm familiar with the the circuit as a TV viewer but would really like some input and advice from people who have attended the race at the circuit, and who have sat in any one, or more, of the stands I have mentioned above.

Also, just how hot does it get in mid-May? Judging from monthly temperature charts I have seen it is warm, but not all that hot.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by barrykm, 23 August 2013 - 16:30.

Advertisement

#2 barrykm

barrykm

• 808 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 16:37

Someone...?

#3 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 19:57

Hi, I went to Barcelona for winter testing and had a great time - the views from all the grandstands/GA areas are pretty good. Personally I would probably choose the first option as I spent quite a bit of time there. You get a great view of the cars down the pit straight and through turns 1 and 2 and into 3, you get a real sense of the speed and breaking ability. You also can see them coming out of the pit lane which might help for following the race? You can also see the cars as the drop down through turn 5 to 7. The stands by turn 2 were closed so I can't comment on the view from there. The stands around the stadium section probably give you the longest time to see the cars, I sat on the opposite side from the one you mentioned, near the chicane and could see the cars from turn 10 right through to turn 16 so presume it would also be similar from the opposite side, it was good for pictures as the cars were going a bit slower. If I knew how to I would have put some poor quality videos on that I took but as I don't you are saved from having to view them :p

Can't comment on the weather in May as I was there early March, the first day it was freezing and actually snowed on the hills around the track, and the 2nd day I got sunburnt! :eek:

#4 barrykm

barrykm

• 808 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 17:48

Thanks Exb, much appreciated.

#5 iainw

iainw

• 11 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:18

Weather wise, I've been to the Grand Prix in Barcelona several times in the last few years and basically in early May you can get anything from 16 to 32C. 

Edited by iainw, 05 September 2013 - 23:51.

#6 chdphd

chdphd

• 2,810 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 20:51

Here are a few panoramas I took when I was at testing there a few years ago.

Pit straight

MainGrandstand1280.jpg

Elf

Elf1280.jpg

Campsa

Campsa11280.jpg

Campsa21280.jpg

La Caixa

LaCaixa1280.jpg

Europcar

Europcar1280.jpg

#7 barrykm

barrykm

• 808 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:52

Thanks to Iain and chd for your interesting responses as well.