Ferrari F138: The race car Part III

• Please log in to reply
2845 replies to this topic

#51 josepatches

josepatches

• 62 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 13:37

Alonso was bet

Yeah I forgot about alonsos mistake. That cost him the time for a second attempt

He was right behind Vettel  but he lost around 8-9 seconds in the first attempt.  (+10s slower than Di Resta)

It could have been an amazing battle with Vettel,Alonso and Lewis racing so close in the last attempt.

Advertisement

#52 four1

four1

• 450 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 13:39

You guys bashing the team are wrong this time. Alonso had a spin but the cameras didn't show it.

100% Alonso's fault but keep it consistent...bash Ferrari.

#53 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,546 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 13:41

I know it's hard to remember sometimes, but Ferrari do run a second car with Massa at the wheel. He qualified 10th.

#54 RockyRaccoon68

RockyRaccoon68

• 1,415 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 13:41

The worst thing about this is that I don't even care  :well:

Tomorrow will be fun if it's dry.

#55 Spa

Spa

• 139 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 13:43

But in Spa you never know, the mistake could have been a bless in disguise if it would have started raining again, so no doubt it was a lottery and we were unlucky again, however I am hopeful, the car has improved relative to the front runners... I feel tomorrow we will have a crack of a race.

Cheers! ;-)

#56 mardmarium

mardmarium

• 489 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 13:44

Alonso made a mistake but what about Massa? 

The brazilian could have been up there trying to steal points from Alonso rivals...and people say that Massa is useless

Everybody made a mistake here, driver and team.

#57 BorkoF2012

BorkoF2012

• 768 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 13:47

Yeah, we shouldn't be too depressed. Alonso won Valencia from 11th, this is Spa. If the car is good in the race trim as well, he will do fine, 2nd or 3rd is possible. If it rains.. Who knows what will happen

#58 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 1,184 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 13:49

Yeah, we shouldn't be too depressed. Alonso won Valencia from 11th, this is Spa. If the car is good in the race trim as well, he will do fine, 2nd or 3rd is possible. If it rains.. Who knows what will happen

....No.

#59 BorkoF2012

BorkoF2012

• 768 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 13:51

....No.

Why not? I said if the car is good. We'll see if that's the case in less than 24h.

Advertisement

#60 GVera

GVera

• 295 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 13:52

The brazilian could have been up there trying to steal points from Alonso rivals...and people say that Massa is useless

Yes, I agree, in Massa's case it was a team mistake, unless his tyres were bad or something like that.

#61 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 1,184 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 13:53

Why not? I said if the car is good. We'll see if that's the case in less than 24h.

Regardless of the weather, RB, Merc and Lotus are quicker. Won't be any higher than 5th tomorrow, in my opinion.

#62 apexpredator

apexpredator

• 242 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 13:54

Such a shame as the car looked pretty strong here, stronger than it has for the past few months.

Spa can throw up anything but yeah we've just had far too many mistakes (whether it's team or driver is a trivial matter) this year, it just hasn't gone our way.

Anyway let's just enjoy the race tomorrow.

#63 quasi C

quasi C

• 2,012 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 13:58

According tos "La Gazzetta dello sport" Ferrari contacted Newey.

Is that in the print version?

#64 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,525 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 13:59

What a pity Alonso didn't have that last try (and Massa wrongly pitted), but the F138 seems to have genuine pace in all conditions here, if tomorrow the race is like today (changing conditions), everything is still possible...

Cheers! ;-)

Correct.  :up:

Didn't see Alonso's error, but conditions were tricky, and timing was just off to get one more lap in. I was hoping they would switch to inters after first lap, then rush back out, but apparently, they took a bit more time. Oh well, no time machine to go back and fix that.   :well:  Positive news is that the F138 is BLOODY QUICK in the hands of both drivers. Spa will likely give more rain tomorrow, and I'd rather Ferrari get the timing/luck right on race day than quali! Have courage Tifosi!  :D

Edited by PoleMan, 24 August 2013 - 14:02.

#65 four1

four1

• 450 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 14:02

Ever since the "Alonso is faster than you" incident, I've always maintained that Ferrari should get rid of both Massa and Smedley. I suppose that Smedley was shadowing Di Resta today and it backfired. Don't blame the whole team for a Smedley/Massa screw up.

#66 Darkmninya

Darkmninya

• 39 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 14:40

Massa needs to be replaced, he should be fired since 2011

#67 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 1,184 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 14:42

Massa needs to be replaced, he should be fired since 2011

Don't worry, he will be next year. Thank god.

#68 aray

aray

• 2,517 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 14:43

Alonso lost the chance due to his own doing,but Ferrari did their usual botched up job with Massa...

we can still win if Alonso survive 1st corner...

Edited by aray, 24 August 2013 - 14:44.

#69 V3TT3L

V3TT3L

• 1,681 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 15:08

This time Grosjean has to gear reverse to cut Alonso's nails  :lol:

Don't despair people, the car is fast and this is Spa.

#70 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,452 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 15:12

@NiiCoLaaY97:@alo_oficial pero perdistes 15 segundos qe te hubieran dado la posibilidad de otra vuelta” 5.. y no tenía gasolina para otra.

A guy asked him if he lost 15 secs with the mistake, Alonso answer: 5 secs and I didn't have fuel for another lap. Massa didn't have fuel for another lap too it seems. Weird strategy, specially with this weather, you can't put all your money in one perfect lap.

Edited by kosmos, 24 August 2013 - 15:13.

#71 Trust

Trust

• 3,170 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 15:32

Maybe Alonso lied on twitter to minimise his mistake?

#72 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 4,662 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 16:21

POLLATRON

That is why de la Rosa tested in Magny Cours with 2011 car. To gain data and calbrate the WT. Aparently, it was said in an interview with Marmorini on some italian paper....

I only red it on twitter.

Pedro testing in Magny Cours with the 2011 car to calibrate the tunnel is very different to Ferrari switching from the Cologne to the Maranello tunnel midseason for the F138 (and concidentally after Barca, when their development started to go wrong), which was what you claimed was alleged.

#73 JaredS

JaredS

• 1,142 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 16:41

Is that in the print version?

They've probably been contacting Newey constantly since end of 2010. I hardly think it's come down to where Red Bull are looking set to win their 4th title and Ferrari suddenly thinks "Hey let's see if we can poach their highly reputed best-in-the-business star designer".

Newey will think long and hard about going to Ferrari. He didn't like McLaren because of the constricted way they operate. With Red Bull he was basically given free reign to do whatever he wants, whenever he wants. He's been key in assembling the team structure and how they operate in both designing and building the cars.

Not sure if Ferrari can provide him with that sort of autonomy and hierarchy.

#74 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,791 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 17:19

They've probably been contacting Newey constantly since end of 2010. I hardly think it's come down to where Red Bull are looking set to win their 4th title and Ferrari suddenly thinks "Hey let's see if we can poach their highly reputed best-in-the-business star designer".

Newey will think long and hard about going to Ferrari. He didn't like McLaren because of the constricted way they operate. With Red Bull he was basically given free reign to do whatever he wants, whenever he wants. He's been key in assembling the team structure and how they operate in both designing and building the cars.

Not sure whether Ferrari will agree to Newey bringing his whole team to Ferrari including Christian Horner and RBR's #1 driver.   ;)

#75 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,525 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 17:28

A guy asked him if he lost 15 secs with the mistake, Alonso answer: 5 secs and I didn't have fuel for another lap. Massa didn't have fuel for another lap too it seems. Weird strategy, specially with this weather, you can't put all your money in one perfect lap.

We all know math is not Fernando's strong suit, so I wouldn't hold him to the 5 seconds.  :)

#76 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,613 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 17:30

They have, to Brawn and the dream team when they were signed. What's problematic is that it would take time to work. If that happens(Newey moving to Ferrari), it would happen possibly with Horner and Vettel and anybody they need. 

#77 prty

prty

• 5,161 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 17:34

Then his mistake didn't matter at all because he improved on the next lap and went ahead of Massa, so it was a good one.

#78 discover23

discover23

• 3,482 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 17:41

They have, to Brawn and the dream team when they were signed. What's problematic is that it would take time to work. If that happens(Newey moving to Ferrari), it would happen possibly with Horner and Vettel and anybody they need.

Brawn and Newey dont have the same job. Don't they?

#79 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,613 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 18:00

Brawn and Newey dont have the same job. Don't they?

When Brawn joined Ferrari? He was TD. Newey is TD. He would join ferrari as TD I assume. The fact that Brawn does not design himself like Newey only means that for Brawn it took a little longer to make things work. Maybe for Newey it would take a few years less, because he designs himself, but it would still mean a serious restructuring process, which again, would take time, IMHO. Mind you, it still would be the faster route to success as things look atm at Ferrari, but that's just my two cents.

Advertisement

#80 quasi C

quasi C

• 2,012 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 18:42

I thought the main issue was that Newey or his wife didn't want to live in Italy.

#81 vista

vista

• 533 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 18:53

I thought the main issue was that Newey or his wife didn't want to live in Italy.

Yes, his wife won't live in Italy.

#82 Gintonious

Gintonious

• 966 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 18:59

Plenty to play for.

The team have regained ground, even if the qualy was crap today. Fernando showed good pace in both Q1 and Q2 and it looks like a lottery tomorrow, not just for us, for everyone.

Confident (as is Fernando) for a good result tomorrow and an exciting race!

#83 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,197 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 19:08

Stategy was a lottery in Q3 guys.

#84 vista

vista

• 533 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 19:09

I can't believe how lucky Red Bull and Ham are and how unlucky/incompetent Ferrari are. I think we actually had a car that could get P3 or P4. But, of course, the rain ruined everything.

However, I hope for dry weather tomorrow and Alonso's top speed is quite good. I hope these weird grooves won't affect us in any bad way.

Should we start on hards or mediums?

#85 Gintonious

Gintonious

• 966 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 19:11

It will be interesting tomorrow with the strategy, no point in guessing.

I am more pleased that the car is on a pace similar to what we saw at the start of the year.

#86 linttu

linttu

• 54 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 19:27

If Fernando survives the start he will be fighting for a podium for sure, the car seemed ok today.

#87 Gintonious

Gintonious

• 966 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 19:32

Could Fernando break his duck at Spa tomorrow?

#88 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 2,053 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:17

When Brawn joined Ferrari? He was TD. Newey is TD. He would join ferrari as TD I assume. The fact that Brawn does not design himself like Newey only means that for Brawn it took a little longer to make things work. Maybe for Newey it would take a few years less, because he designs himself, but it would still mean a serious restructuring process, which again, would take time, IMHO. Mind you, it still would be the faster route to success as things look atm at Ferrari, but that's just my two cents.

Ross Brawn had to wait a good deal before his process worked; I am sure Adrian would have had an easier time if he went to Ferrari currently. Let's not detract the fact that it was Michael Schumacher (doing his driving) for 1997 car that could have won the title, and that was not exactly a Ross Brawn or Rory Byrne creation. Rory revised the aerodynamics on the 1997 car, from 1998 onward, Ross and Rory truly took hold.

#89 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 3,970 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:50

Regardless of the weather, RB, Merc and Lotus are quicker.

Have you paid attention at all this weekend? Obviously not because the quote above simply isn't accurate.

**edit to quote the part I was referencing**

Edited by CrucialXtreme, 25 August 2013 - 02:51.

#90 camberley

camberley

• 351 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:55

Alonso has terrible luck at Spa and it is set to continue this year too. Feel gutted

#91 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,791 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:27

Yes, his wife won't live in Italy.

If I remember correctly, the last time Ferrari made a move for Newey was at the end of 2010 campaign, but Newey turned down the offer as he was happy in England and did not want to relocate to Italy. Whether the relocation to Italy was a deal breaker or merely an excuse since he was happy at RBR, I don't think anybody knows for sure.

#92 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 6,879 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:16

Could Fernando break his duck at Spa tomorrow?

Yes, he will break his duck and win tomorrow!

#93 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,439 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:49

FernandoAlonsoOficial

Día especial el de hoy. 24 de agosto. Justo 10 años de la primera victoria! Día inolvidable!! Fantástico!!

Special day today. August 24. Just 10 years after the first victory! Unforgettable day! Fantastic !!

1175662_581399511919243_1016140209_n.jpg

TIME TO REPEAT IT!

#94 Forma1

Forma1

• 351 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:02

The team did a great job over the course of the two weeks from the four-week-break. The car was strong both on dry and in the wet, however it tended to struggle on damp surface. The car is the best since Canada. Yesterday's result was a mixture of bad luck and slight mistake. Thumbs up for Fernando, he was miles ahead of Felipe in terms of pace. The championship has been already secured by Vettel a few races ago, but I wish we could grab a few wins.

Have a good race today and have a nice Sunday to all of you!

#95 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 3,970 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:36

Where is all the doomer & gloomers complaining about the car and saying Fer doesn't have a chance? The F138 is arguably the best car this weekend. Regardless the point is the team have recovered much of the gap to the leaders in terms of performance.

#96 sheepgobba

sheepgobba

• 1,077 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:41

Where is all the doomer & gloomers complaining about the car and saying Fer doesn't have a chance? The F138 is arguably the best car this weekend. Regardless the point is the team have recovered much of the gap to the leaders in terms of performance.

But even if we finish 2nd it doesn't aid the championship battle. 

#97 topical

topical

• 2,048 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:41

Well, from what I can see Vettel is cruising away from Alonso, so as far as the WDC is concerned this result is no good. Once again everything lost in qualifying unless something dramatic happens before the end.

#98 RockyRaccoon68

RockyRaccoon68

• 1,415 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:43

The F138 is arguably the best car this weekend. 

Nonsense, Vettel can eek the gap out by a few tenths at will.

#99 topical

topical

• 2,048 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:45

Exactly. And if Webber hadn't screwed up the start as usual it would be comfortable Red Bull 1-2. They are still ahead.

Advertisement

#100 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 3,970 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:45

How is that nonsense? I said "arguably" mate. Means it can be argued over. Regardless it's much freaking better than anyone in this thread gave it credit for, just have a look at the replies in the past 3 days...