Photo

Classic Manx GP

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GD66

GD66

• 2,237 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:30

Anybody else keep an eye on the race ? Listened on the net with live timing, same as the TT, some great sounds with the Patons and the Honda fours whipping up the hill from the Ramsey hairpin. But in spite of a lipsmacking entry, the attrition rate was horrific : Gary Johnson's MV failed at the start (finally got away minutes later), Cummins out on the Dunnell Manx at Appledene on lap 1, McPint popped and banged around for 1 lap to retire the Winfield Paton, Anstey retired the McIntosh Manx with 1 to go, Michael Dunlop's Manx was very slow from the start...oblivious to it all, Linsdell's Paton whistled round at the front, 146 mph through the Sulby speed trap, good job. And his normal mount, the Flitwick Royal Enfield, lapped at 107 in Ian Lougher's hands on his way to fourth spot, wow !

So, very encouraging for the future, if they can get the things to last the distance. The commentators implied the modern riders may not be exhibiting the mechanical sympathy required, and after hearing how hard William Dunlop was revving the Honda four on downchanges, it's hard to argue with...

69uk.png

Chris Swallow on the Dave Kenah Manx from practice. From the MGP site.

Edited by GD66, 25 August 2013 - 08:32.

Advertisement

#2 tonyed

tonyed

• 981 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:38

I too followed it on Manx radio and 'live timing'.

There have been suggestions in the past taht 'modern' riders do not use sufficiently sympathetic hand on the older machines, but in the case of the MV it suffered from the start, so did JMcGs Paton and I believe that Tony Dunnels Manx engines are of new manufacture. The new engines are all made to much better tolerences and out of superior materials to the old issue Manxes and G50s and should stand a bit more abuse. However I suspect that the riders of modern machinery have a little to learn when it comes to the historic bikes. However I would say that I am in support of the Classic Manx in general and long may it continue. Interested to see Micky Ds lap time on his '1982' XR69.

#3 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 2,048 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 15:35

Some pics from yesterday's Senior TT 67 re-enactment with John McGuiness doing the SMBH part

DSC_0227_zps316bc268.jpg

DSC7985Large_zpsde8151fe.jpg

DSC_1839Large_zps58945231.jpg

Edited by Rennmax, 25 August 2013 - 15:37.

#4 GD66

GD66

• 2,237 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:24

Broadcast highlights Wednesday Aug 28th @ 9pm, ITV4, after the Superbikes.

#5 Classicpics

Classicpics

• 438 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 19:43

Nice one John, even taped the boots, about the right body size too.

Hope  to see more on ITV.... :cool: