Please help me find racing applications for Math

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Keith Young

Keith Young

• 267 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 23:53

chalkboard.jpg

I hated learning Math. I learned it the same way most people learn it, through books and lectures that cover the theoretical math that most people think of when they think of math. I asked a professor once what integrals are for and he said "blah blah blah", I asked him to use english, and he said "to find the area under a curve."

Great. So later in life, when someone draws a curve, rather than cutting out the paper and weighing the paper I can do all this garbage to find the area under it. Pointless and difficult. Difficult to me only because I couldn't see the application of it.

Now I'm a freelance Engineer and Consultant. I take what free time I have and I've been making a list of applications of all these theories you learn, and I'm writing about them here:

Applied Math Examples List - Methods - Real World Uses

I was wondering if you guys could help me get any math methods I've missed, and also get some real life applications listed under the methods. My goal is to one day have this whole list filled, and I want it to help a lot of people.

I know there are some knowledgable guys out there. I bet more than half of that group thinks there aren't enough quality Engineers and part of that is due to how it's taught. I'm trucking through this, and I've love a little help, because for some of these I'm at a loss.

Here is one of my articles that shows where I'm trying to go with this. Still needs a lot of work in the quality department, but so far it's getting decent reviews.

Applied Math Example - Double Definate Integral - Finding Lift on Race Car Wing

fr_wing_pr_pro_0.png

Edited by Keith Young, 26 August 2013 - 00:19.

Advertisement

#2 Greg Locock

Greg Locock

• 6,353 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:34

Fourier transforms, statistical modelling, any number of studies of tire properties, and then you can put it all together and do lap time simulation.

#3 Keith Young

Keith Young

• 267 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 19:51

I am getting some of those materials together. That will be a much longer term goal of mine. Thanks for the input Greg.

I just punched out an article on using Differential Equations to approximate Front Wing Bending.

#4 blkirk

blkirk

• 319 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 21:40

Composite laminate calculations use lots of matrices and linear algebra.  See http://www.aac-resea...r-laminates.pdf

#5 Keith Young

Keith Young

• 267 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 21:43

Cool, thanks a bunch! I knew they dealt with that sort of stuff, but didn't know how to categorize any of it. That link will be very helpful.

#6 Keith Young

Keith Young

• 267 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:39

I am a step closer to that goal Greg :)

F1_side_view_braking_anim_0.gif