Photo
- - - - -

Which one-time WDC will be the first to win a second title?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Poll: Which one-time WDC will be the first to win a second title? (99 member(s) have cast votes)

Which one-time WDC will be the first to win a second title?

1. Kimi Räikkönen (22 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

2. Lewis Hamilton (67 votes [67.68%])

Percentage of vote: 67.68%

3. Jenson Button (2 votes [2.02%])

Percentage of vote: 2.02%

4. None of these drivers will win a WDC again (8 votes [8.08%])

Percentage of vote: 8.08%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 anbeck

anbeck

• 2,677 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:06

We currently have three drivers on the grid who have one WDC to their name: Kimi, Hamilton and Button. Who do you think will be the first to become world champion for a second time?

By the way: The last time that a driver won his second title and it was not a back-to-back title (i.e., a direct title defense) was Senna in 1990! Since then we've only had one-time champions (Mansell, Hill, Villeneuve, Räikkönen, Hamilton, Button), back-to-back champions (Schumacher, Hakkinen, Alonso, Vettel) or drivers who won the title for a third time or more (Prost, Schumacher).

Advertisement

#2 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 5,315 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:09

Hamilton. 

He's in the best position right now, with the best team out of all those three. 

I don't see Raikkonen winning one any time soon if he stays at Lotus, while Jenson needs a Brawn GP-esque car to really win a championship. 

#3 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:21

Vettel will dominate for few more seasons in RBR.

Hamilton will have strong car but not of RBR calibre and in the end he won't win any title till switch to RBR (if it will ever happen).

Raikkonen don't have much time left as well, and even if he would switch to RBR, imo, he would lose vs Vettel.

Button is a no.

So I expect no one from the list.

#4 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:25

Kimi.

#5 Dauemannen

Dauemannen

• 59 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:36

Obvious answer is obvious. Hamilton is by far the most likely of the three to ever win a WDC again because he is younger and faster than the other two. One of the other two might "luck out" and find himself in the fastest car soon, but any sensible person's money would be on Hamilton.

#6 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:05

Obvious answer is obvious. Hamilton is by far the most likely of the three to ever win a WDC again because he is younger and faster than the other two. One of the other two might "luck out" and find himself in the fastest car soon, but any sensible person's money would be on Hamilton.

You base that on what?..

#7 selespeed

selespeed

• 1,195 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:10

i don't see button or raikkonen winning anaother one...

#8 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 3,633 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:24

One thing is sure,this isn't a discussion about talent.

Who lucks getting the best car will be.

#9 marcoferrari

marcoferrari

• 2,008 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:32

Lewis. Don t see Button and Räikkonen winning titles again.

#10 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:38

Read the question, answer the question.

This thread is not Lewis vs Kimi vs Jenson and any part of that, please keep to the topic

#11 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 3,226 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:28

Hamilton's got the best car, is very talented and not unimportantly, is the youngest.

#12 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:34

Lewis, if all the rumours and hype are to be believed about next season he should be in a very good position.

Next season RedBull and Vettel could struggle without the exhaust gases influencing the diffuser, just look back to the start of 2012. 

#13 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,336 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:35

Definitely Hamilton. I can see Raikkonen retiring after this season if he can't get the Ferrari seat. Button will never win a championship again, he's lucky to have one really.

#14 P123

P123

• 23,959 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:48

Sort of depends on what car they get.

At present JB looks the least likely, based on a couple of transitional years for McLaren (but then again they may get things as right next year as they got them wrong this year).

#15 spacekid

spacekid

• 3,143 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:48

The answer is obviously Jacques Villeneuve.

As he isn't an option I voted for Lewis.

#16 Absulute

Absulute

• 1,051 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:01

If the rumours about the engines are true, next season could be a Merc vs McLaren battle,

It's got to be Hamilton.

#17 Amin

Amin

• 706 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:16

I don't see Jenson winning again. Hamilton is in a team with a lot of potential and coupled with his age and talent I think he has a high chance of winning the championship again. As for Kimi, I really thought this year was his year after the first 5 races but some bad luck and a couple of bad weekends for Lotus (the car, not the drivers) have scuppered any chance he had. Unfortunately I don't see him winning the championship again because I don't see Lotus or Ferrari being anything special in the next 2-3 years.

So I vote Hamilton.

#18 revlec

revlec

• 2,721 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:23

Life is not always fair.

Hamilton and Raikkonen have the number of race wins Vettel and Alonso had when they won their 2nd WDC more or less. :cat:

_

I will say Hamilton is more likely to win his 2nd WDC though. And even if the Mercedes operation will be a failure, I am 150% sure he will drive for Ferrari.

Edited by revlec, 26 August 2013 - 10:24.

#19 TT6

TT6

• 3,571 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:25

Complete mystery. Althou right now, this season, Hamilton has the best change of those, but Vettel will walk it. With completely new rules any of the top teams can produce eiher a lemon or a great car so from 2014 it's quite impossible to predict.

When we combine this with the fact that we don't know where Räikkönen will drive next year...

Advertisement

#20 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,229 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:36

I think it'll be Hamilton because I don't see Raikkonen winning it this year and, if rumours are to be believed, Mercedes will have a very competitive car next year.

#21 Thomas99

Thomas99

• 2,581 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:44

Hard to say. Hamilton is the most talented and will have a great car next year. Kimi too if he goes to Ferrari.

Button is the least talented but he is the lead McLaren driver and next years car could be a masterpiece. 

#22 rasul

rasul

• 1,952 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:56

Lewis. He's the youngest and is more likely to have the best package next season. 

#23 Dauemannen

Dauemannen

• 59 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:31

You base that on what?..

Compared to Button, I base it on their three years together at McLaren. He was clearly faster than Button. Button scored the most points of the two, but that was mainly through consistency and racecraft, and less retirements that may or may not have been Hamilton's fault. As for Raikkönen there's no way to know for sure, but it looks like Grosjean is at least as fast as Raikkönen, and Kimi's lead is mainly because he doesn't make stupid mistakes, and on the contrary is a master overtaker, and has great racecraft and race management skills. Of course it's all opinions and armchair stuff, but it seems very likely that Hamilton is the fastest of the three and has the most potential, but he is not the most complete driver of the three. (IMO Raikkönen is.)

#24 Coral

Coral

• 6,786 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:41

I would say Lewis...I think he has an excellent chance of winning at least one more WDC. I have been impressed by his driving this year and I can see him improving further over the next couple of years. Vettel/RBR's dominance will have to come to an end eventually and the only younger driver whom I reckon is WDC material at the moment is Nico Hulkenberg.

I can't see Kimi or Jenson winning another WDC, although if they land in the right car at the right time, anything is possible!

#25 Oho

Oho

• 11,838 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:51

As for Raikkönen there's no way to know for sure, but it looks like Grosjean is at least as fast as Raikkönen, and Kimi's lead is mainly because he doesn't make stupid mistakes,

No kidding, last year this time, yeah I guess you could argue Grosjean is at least as fast but in light of this season the comment seems almost totally without merit. I mean In real terms in 11 outings this season Grosjean has unquestionably outperformed Räikkönen once in qualifying Hungary and once in race China (or was it Malaysia?). Silverstone was practically a dead heat and Spa is bit of an outlier like Monaco and Canada.

But yeah Hamilton must be the best bet to reconquer world championship.

Edited by Oho, 26 August 2013 - 11:56.

#26 falalalalaland

falalalalaland

• 147 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:59

Well Lewis definitely has the best chance seeing that he is the youngest.

Someone has to remind me of the 13(?) seasons Jenson has driven how many was he actually competitive (yes, I know not always front-running car yadayadayada).

Most hoping to see Kimi win it another time. Time will tell.  :stoned:

#27 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:07

Lewis in 2014, probably. The Merc engine is supposedly good.

#28 KavB

KavB

• 1,592 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:16

For Lewis, it is more of a case of when, not if. Time is running out for Kimi but if he goes to Ferrari then I believe he can win a title. Webber only arrived in a competitive seat when he was 33, had his best season at 34 and was keeping up with Vettel during the first half of the 2012 season at 36. If a driver not as good as Kimi can do that then I see no reason why Kimi can't win the title if he lands himself a good seat. 

If Kimi goes to Ferrari then I think he will win a 2nd title first, but if he stays at Lotus then Hamilton will win by default as Raikkonen won't win a title at Lotus.

I don't think Jenson will win another title. 

#29 trogggy

trogggy

• 9,216 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:18

Hamilton, fairly clearly.  He's younger, so has more years (potentially).  The other 2 are running out of time.

Merc looks like a good team to be in, and at least for now he (LH) looks to have the edge on his team-mate.

Button - needs a good car from Mclaren - possible but you wouldn't bet on it given this year and the uncertainty over engines - at the moment at least he has a clear edge on his team-mate.

Kimi - it's unlikely - imo - that he'll be in a car that will give him a good chance, and if he is (unless it's Lotus) he'll be up against a strong team-mate.

#30 TurboF1

TurboF1

• 748 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:19

Definitely Lewis, he'll win at least 2 more championships, anything less will be a gross injustice. I know f1 (and life in general) can be unfair, but itd be a massive shame if circumstances don't play towards at least 2 more championships. Hoping he takes 2014 and 2015 on the bounce